Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will the Pels make a big trade?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Will the Pels make a big trade?

I wonder if the PELS will make a big trade this year. I think they have to if they want to ever contend. What do y’all think? Who would be a good player to trade for? Could we get a star? Should it be a SF or a PG?

I think we have multiple pieces we can use for a trade.

Jackson, Niko, Moore, Hill and few first round picks etc.

Who could put the pels over the top? What kind of player?

Could we get Butler?

Niko, Moore, Jackson and 2019 unprotected first

Could get us Butler? Or another great player???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this post one that was written in mid July and was just stuck in the queue for a few months? Has this not been discussed dozens to hundreds of times already?
    @mcnamara247

first thread posted after our playoff glow wore off.

I think we'll make a trade and that it will be closer to the deadline. I've been saying this since before the draft, we'll watch to see which teams fall way short of expectations and begin "rebuild" mode and then execute a Mirotic type trade. Heck, even the Cousins deal went down that way. I wish it would be that big....but tempering my expectations for more of a Niko level player.

There's a lot of teams that feel similar to the Pels as far as where they will finish. I think the Lakers will come on faster than people realize. And so more teams will pack it in to try to time their rebuild to complete an the current world beaters tail off. We can get some bargain deals.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Is this post one that was written in mid July and was just stuck in the queue for a few months? Has this not been discussed dozens to hundreds of times already?
    lol got my laugh for the night lol...

I'm sure Dell has called about Butler and then laughed while hanging up the phone over the price.

At this point I basically have my sights set on Harris Barnes because I think he could actually be attainable by the trade deadline.

You guy's type the date wrong in the US.
    To me that reads 10-3-18 (10th of March).
    So yes this is an old post lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm sure Dell has called about Butler and then laughed while hanging up the phone over the price.

At this point I basically have my sights set on Harris Barnes because I think he could actually be attainable by the trade deadline.
    Trying to match his contract gonna be a struggle.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    The pelicans have no chance contending. So, near the trade deadline they should make a trade if they truly have the assets to get a star. This conversation was in July and will continue until the deadline passes.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    The pelicans have no chance contending. So, near the trade deadline they should make a trade if they truly have the assets to get a star. This conversation was in July and will continue until the deadline passes.

I wonder, what is your definition of "contending"? Did we not contend last year? We made the playoffs. We won the first round series in a sweep. We lost to the only team that beat everyone else, the champs. Are we not better then the team that was able to do those things at that time? I believe if we stay healthy, we have 5 to 7 more regular season wins then last year and again make the playoffs. We contended well and made final 8 last year. We will exceed that this time. Now about the trade issue, hope you are right and we can make a trade for a star, just don't see it happening. Unless the guy is a real low key person that doesn't toot his own horn. This is AD's team and bringing in the wrong element eg: Cousins, appears Davis will, by his good nature, defer. That can't happen going forward. Therefore; Butler-NO, Kyrie-NO, Hayward-YES. Or a Mirotic type which is more likely.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If contend means "As good as the Warriors," then Frank Jackson had better be way better than even I'm hoping. Also Julius Randle needs to be a great fit. Like Draymond Green great fit. As in able to defend Kevin Durant.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If contend means "As good as the Warriors," then Frank Jackson had better be way better than even I'm hoping. Also Julius Randle needs to be a great fit. Like Draymond Green great fit. As in able to defend Kevin Durant.
    thats the thing...AD is talking real big that he is the best player and want to win MVP...so when we play GS imo AD need to guard KD in those games and randle can deal with green in the paint because he has the mind set for it........jrue guarding KD in the playoffs was good but KD was just shooting over jrue and was making his shots...AD has the height to challenge KD shooting and if he still makes those shots then so be it but AD has to guard KD....

KD is too quick for AD laterally. And it leaves less rim protection. I hope Randle is able to at least make KD work harder than Jrue and be someone not as easy for KD to shoot over. Make him put the ball on the floor where AD is waiting.

Basketball Guru
    KD is too quick for AD laterally. And it leaves less rim protection. I hope Randle is able to at least make KD work harder than Jrue and be someone not as easy for KD to shoot over. Make him put the ball on the floor where AD is waiting.
    oh well,,i guess i have to pray on dallas to fade out early and hope i get my harrison barnes trade to match with KD......jrue,,barnes,,AD and randall can defend 4 of GS players including cousins and that leaves whoever our 5th player is on klay......i can roll with this in a 7 game series....

I don't know... I have to see how a Niko, AD, and Randle(+plus Okafor if he makes the team) work on the court at the same time. Either way... we got see what we got in a center. Not fans of the idea with AD banging bodies with Boogie in the playoffs. Granted... I know AD would expose Boogie's defense.

I think we should start a petition that says KD is too quick for AD. I promise you, AD will eat his lunch and hand him back an empty pail.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I don't know... I have to see how a Niko, AD, and Randle(+plus Okafor if he makes the team) work on the court at the same time. Either way... we got see what we got in a center. Not fans of the idea with AD banging bodies with Boogie in the playoffs. Granted... I know AD would expose Boogie's defense.
    Assuming he even plays this season.

Assuming he even plays this season.
    Why would he not play? That injury should not keep him out all season.

We'll see. I'm probably wrong. But we will see.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I don't think we should fall asleep on Troy Williams...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Stay the course. If we don't do great, I'm fine with that, stacked draft full of wings, it's the PERFECT year to miss the playoffs if we need time to grow. Gotta remember we got a lot younger. We're going to play hectic pace with a fairly short guard/wing depth team. Injuries happen. I think Dell has to commit to this unit and focus on fostering the chemistry and internal growth. If we make the playoffs, awesome, we can still grow and get better next year internally. If we miss the playoffs and land a super talented wing, WOW, we might go make the playoffs next year. Stay the course. Build a culture the players brag to other players about, being in New Orleans, make guys want to come here and play with AD.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Stay the course. If we don't do great, I'm fine with that, stacked draft full of wings, it's the PERFECT year to miss the playoffs if we need time to grow. Gotta remember we got a lot younger. We're going to play hectic pace with a fairly short guard/wing depth team. Injuries happen. I think Dell has to commit to this unit and focus on fostering the chemistry and internal growth. If we make the playoffs, awesome, we can still grow and get better next year internally. If we miss the playoffs and land a super talented wing, WOW, we might go make the playoffs next year. Stay the course. Build a culture the players brag to other players about, being in New Orleans, make guys want to come here and play with AD.

Just my two cents.
    I like and appreciate your optimism, but if we don't make playoffs some of these AD leaving rumors may gain substance. We must make it there, even if it's an early exit.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I don't think we should fall asleep on Troy Williams...
    Troy is a nice bench piece, but he's not "the answer" at SF. Doesn't shoot the three at a good enough clip. And can be inconsistent otherwise too

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

Just my two cents.
    I like your thinking, but I think AD is growing impatient to have sustained success. He sees himself as the best player in the league. Being on a team that doesn't make the playoffs doesn't really fit with that vision.

The first will be moved to grab a star wing (hopefully), not draft one IMO. Whatever it takes to keep AD happy.

Swing for the fences while AD is here. If he wants to move on, well then I feel a rebuild around Jrue starts

I dont think we can afford to move Niko. Diallo is not where I expected him to be coming into his 3rd season, yet. Niko will be needed for 25-30mpg on that 2nd unit, and probably playing with the first unit some at the 3 as well. His shooting and versatility is more crucial than I originally thought, I think that will show starting tonight.

Thread Information