Pelicans Report

Thread: Media Day Takeaways

Media Day Takeaways

-AD saying with a straight face he wants to dominate the league, multiple times.
    -Jrue coming across really solid mentally and ready to make 1st team All Defense a thing.
    -Frank is a character, gosh I hope he succeeds, but he said hes feeling great and really lumped the love on Jrue and hanging out there training with the Holiday's.
    -Multiple people talking about Jrue / Elfrid being an elite defensive backcourt. Jrue himself said he was surprised how well Payton stayed with the play, always got a hand near/on the ball.
    -Jahlil working a lot with Erman, defense and rebounding the focus locally, spent time working on body/shot earlier in the offseason.
    -Everyone excited about the play style and being in a winning culture
    -Chieck ready to do whatever it takes, knows there is a 5 man big rotation and ready for the challenge.

Really hyped for this season, cant wait to see some pre-season action!

Wearen't getting past the 2nd round, but this squad should be pretty dope in playoff contention. If Payton can be MIP and we got a solid squad. Get an elite wing in the off-season. Warriors slowly start to break up. Next year seems destined to be our year. Season kind of depend on making something out of Frank Jackson, Elfired Payton. Julius Randle keep giving a positive trend upward. He steadily getting better. Jahil resurrection project gonna be interesting. I got faith in my guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Wearen't getting past the 2nd round, but this squad should be pretty dope in playoff contention. If Payton can be MIP and we got a solid squad. Get an elite wing in the off-season. Warriors slowly start to break up. Next year seems destined to be our year. Season kind of depend on making something out of Frank Jackson, Elfired Payton. Julius Randle keep giving a positive trend upward. He steadily getting better. Jahil resurrection project gonna be interesting. I got faith in my guys.
    I honestly could see us getting out of the 2nd round. Depends who we match up with. Say we end up matched up with the Rockets in the second round, rather than the Warriors? I could see us winning that matchup, relatively handily as well (depending, of course, on how our new pieces work out and how much Melo ruins their cohesion). Simultaneously, it's also possible that the continued years of finals runs, along with the addition of Demarcus Cousins and the rumours of both KD and Klay potentially leaving, finally add up on the warriors and we manage to knock them off a hard fought 7 game series: again, it's possible. Weirder thigns have happened.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I honestly could see us getting out of the 2nd round. Depends who we match up with. Say we end up matched up with the Rockets in the second round, rather than the Warriors? I could see us winning that matchup, relatively handily as well (depending, of course, on how our new pieces work out and how much Melo ruins their cohesion). Simultaneously, it's also possible that the continued years of finals runs, along with the addition of Demarcus Cousins and the rumours of both KD and Klay potentially leaving, finally add up on the warriors and we manage to knock them off a hard fought 7 game series: again, it's possible. Weirder thigns have happened.
    After the 04 Lakers and 3-1 Warriors... I wouldn't be shocked.

Before I write us off for getting through the 2nd round I want to see what the seeding is first. Assuming the Warriors are the 1 seed if we get 2, 4, 5, 7 then we wouldn't match up against them until the conference finals. In that situation I'd say we have a chance of getting out of the 2nd round.

This quote from AD

"I'm here and I'm focused on winning with this squad right here and having a good squad," Davis said. "Just want to go out there and play my hardest."
    First time I've heard him not be unequivocal about staying long term

I'd put us top four in the West, right now. So yeah I think we can get to the second round. Kinda silly to go less. Or pessimistic. But same thing, eh? Lol

Hoewever, we all know health changes EVERYTHING in this league. Gotta stay healthy.

we go as hill goes assuming our roster remains the same. yall mocked me when I said mirotic would start at the 3 yet it appears he will. our second unit will determine how far we go. if we go frank, clark, moore, solo and Diallo than that would be a fun second unit

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    we go as hill goes assuming our roster remains the same. yall mocked me when I said mirotic would start at the 3 yet it appears he will. our second unit will determine how far we go. if we go frank, clark, moore, solo and Diallo than that would be a fun second unit
    It would be fun, but also largely incompetent. Frank is all the potential in the world, but we have no idea how he'll actually look in the NBA yet. Clark is a 3rd guard, and is inconsistent (hopefully he can find that consistency this season). Moore is fine, I love him and am always in his defense. Solo is too small to play any regular PF minutes and again, no idea how he'll actually look this year, and Diallo is yet to do anything that makes me feel encouraged about giving him any consistent minutes. I would honestly rather play Jahlil: at least he has some skills, even if they're all on one end of the floor.

If that lineup were to come about over the course of the season because people showed themselves capable of it, sure I'd love it, but if we rolled that out as the regular second unit to start the season I'd be pretty concerned about Gentry's health.

Kind of why I said we go as hill goes. So we go Clark, Moore, solo, Diallo/ajinca/okafor. I am hoping frank breaks out tho. I think solo is an ideal small ball pf if he is healthy and I think he will be obviously better than last. I also think Moore will excel as the 6th man if indeed mirotic starts. Moore had his best season as a pro last year and I pray hill does the same this season.

Our roster is as deep as ever and our bottom 5 depth won't be too horrible either. This is going to be an amazing season if we stay healthy.
    Last edited by wnelson; 09-26-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    Kind of why I said we go as hill goes. So we go Clark, Moore, solo, Diallo/ajinca/okafor. I am hoping frank breaks out tho. I think solo is an ideal small ball pf if he is healthy and I think he will be obviously better than last. I also think Moore will excel as the 6th man if indeed mirotic starts. Moore had his best season as a pro last year and I pray hill does the same this season.

Our roster is as deep as ever and our bottom 5 depth won't be too horrible either. This is going to be an amazing season if we stay healthy.
    I do agree that a healthy Solo could play small ball four in spots, against choice matchups, so hopefully that's what we get. Like I said, I love Moore and will never stop defending him after how well he did last season in such awful circumstances. And yeah, I agree, I definitely hope Frank breaks out. He has so much possibility it would be amazing to see it pan out for him, and for the team.

Yeah. Our depth is great. We have potential. We have our two "stars" in Jrue and AD. We just need one or two other people to step up that game into star realm to be contenders. Not unlikely. We have a few with that potential.

The Rockets are doing preseason here in Lake Charles. So all the local talk is about them. Bleh. Just when I was starting to see an equal amount of Pels gear around town as other teams like them and GSW. Smart move. Pels should have best them to it to expand their base in the state.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 09-26-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information