Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jahlil Okafor

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Jahlil Okafor

Pelicans are in talks with him for a training camp deal. I would love to see as a backup center to keep AD rested. We need depth at every position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as hes not a locker room cancer, i'm ok with it. It means if anyone has been sniffing around over Diallo he becomes a trade piece, some value, to package with Ajinca's expiring. But honestly, I have really high hopes on Diallo, would hate to see him fade out of the league.

It's whatever. Whoever they bring in at this point we are just rolling the dice anyway. If they think he has a chance of doing something then sure go for it.

Apparently he played the saxophone and the tuba? Is there a better place than New Orleans for such a person?
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's whatever. Whoever they bring in at this point we are just rolling the dice anyway. If they think he has a chance of doing something then sure go for it.
    He can score coming off the bench. Give him 10min and see if he contributes. Can’t believe he was the 3rd pick of draft. The offense has to be consistent and we need depth. If we play super fast and have decent depth we can exhaust our opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    He can score coming off the bench. Give him 10min and see if he contributes. Can’t believe he was the 3rd pick of draft. The offense has to be consistent and we need depth. If we play super fast and have decent depth we can exhaust our opponents.

Doesn't the 'lil Oak fit the dying big man role? If our 2nd unit is mean't to gas the other team with pace, he slows that down tremendously right?

I'd like to see it pan out. He has yet to thrive in a backup role tho. Doesn't seem like a good fit unless he's been doing wind sprints all summer...

But I don't know Ish Smith anyways.

The Franchise
    Cousins wasn’t much for pace plus I think the other 4 guys can get out in transition. I think Jahil would be best served in a half court offense and really bang for rebounds on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Doesn't the 'lil Oak fit the dying big man role? If our 2nd unit is mean't to gas the other team with pace, he slows that down tremendously right?

I'd like to see it pan out. He has yet to thrive in a backup role tho. Doesn't seem like a good fit unless he's been doing wind sprints all summer...

But I don't know Ish Smith anyways.
    In fairness, while it's true he hasn't really thrived in a backup role, he's also not really been given a real chance to do so. In his first season he got the minutes, and put up 17/7 in 30 minutes. His advanced stats were terrible, but so were basically everyone's on that team because nobody had more than 3 years of NBA experience and they won a pitiful number of games. He's seen a reduction in minutes every season since, and last season he didn't even play 30 games, despite being healthy. He's just been given no shots.

His defense still sucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In fairness, while it's true he hasn't really thrived in a backup role, he's also not really been given a real chance to do so. In his first season he got the minutes, and put up 17/7 in 30 minutes. His advanced stats were terrible, but so were basically everyone's on that team because nobody had more than 3 years of NBA experience and they won a pitiful number of games. He's seen a reduction in minutes every season since, and last season he didn't even play 30 games, despite being healthy. He's just been given no shots.

Thats fair. He's better than Ajinca, so why the hell not.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Thats fair. He's better than Ajinca, so why the hell not.
    Yeah, it can't hurt to give him a look at training camp, and if he's decent then maybe he'd be worth some kind of minimum contract. It's not like it would take more than that to keep him, since he appears to be in the NBA trash-heap right now.

Is there space on the roster for 7 bigs?

AD
    Randle
    Mirotic
    E. Oak
    Diallo
    J. Oak
    Ajinca

?

My answer is maybe

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is there space on the roster for 7 bigs?

AD
    Randle
    Mirotic
    E. Oak
    Diallo
    J. Oak
    Ajinca

?

My answer is maybe
    Ajinca wont play again.
    Emeka Okafor is 36 and is owed 2.6M if guaranteed.
    Diallo is trade bait.

So yes.

He's signing with us, so we'll see what happens. Just got the bleacher update on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post

Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I agree. We have to take into consideration the two teams and times he played for them. Philly admittedly was tanking and Brett Brown literally isolated him down the bench. Brooklyn hyped him up and didn't even give him any meaningful minutes. I believe going into a system and club that is in playoff contention will rub off on him. Plus, being around a much more mature support system. I understand that we want to speed up the pace as our offensive mentality, however you have to have guys that can play in the half-court too. It evens add to our talent pool in the frontcourt. We now have 3 Top 10 picks in the past 6 years on our roster. You can't dismiss talent. Of course, everyone doesn't pan out, but if you have a guy with his ability to score on the open market you go get him no matter what. Great job Dell!

Trash.

I think its a good signing. Anyone at this point is a long shot so you might as well take a flier on a talented long shot.

Its not like we're signing him to become the savior of the franchise. Its a low risk-high reward signing if he doesn't pan out he'll just sit the bench.

he's a black hole on offense and terrible defensively

Hes apparently lost alot of weight and gained alot of speed.. Could be a steal of a signing

https://twitter.com/liamaris24/statu...926515713?s=19

It's supposably only partially guaranteed so there is no risk.

I don't see any possible way a Center who can't run, stretch the floor or protect the rim has any impact at all on this team but why not kick the tires.

Best case scenario is he takes center minutes in October through March to keep AD healthy.

Would be interesting to see of this is a setup move though. Mirotic will likely be traded at some point, my speculation, and if they like Okafor for some reason this could be a precursor.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    It's supposably only partially guaranteed so there is no risk.

I don't see any possible way a Center who can't run, stretch the floor or protect the rim has any impact at all on this team but why not kick the tires.

Best case scenario is he takes center minutes in October through March to keep AD healthy.

Would be interesting to see of this is a setup move though. Mirotic will likely be traded at some point, my speculation, and if they like Okafor for some reason this could be a precursor.
    We don't really know if he can run, or stretch the floor right now. He hasn't in the past, but we've barely seen him play for two years, and the training videos he's released look fairly promising. Obviously that's the whole point, they're filmed and edited selectively, but we really have to wait for camp results to make any real judgment.

I'm still not sure where this idea that he cant protect the rim has come from. Sure he's not AD or Gobert, but he averages a block a game for his career. This season (obviously in limited minutes) opponents shot 4.9% worse than their averages against him within 6 feet of the rim. 4.5% worse in the 16-17 season, and 4.9% worse again in 15-16. Although his minutes and opportunities have been spotty and he cant defend the perimeter, he does seem to consistently make people shoot worse at the rim, which is something.

Do you guys remember when Hassan Whiteside had to be out of the league to become the Hassan Whiteside that he is today? I’m not saying that will happen with Okafor, but I think we are about to see what happens when one man has his back against a wall...and I’m excited.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information