Pelicans Report

Thread: Were Randle and Payton both renounced?

Were Randle and Payton both renounced?

Neither was an RFA, so, does that mean we have no Bird Rights to either of them? Will be have any cap to sign them after this year without trading Solo/Moore?

I'm not sure on Payton but Randle was renounced and if we don't have any cap space next year we can only offer him a 10% raise if he opts out (he has a second year option).

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I'm not sure on Payton but Randle was renounced and if we don't have any cap space next year we can only offer him a 10% raise if he opts out (he has a second year option).
    That's different to Bird Rights rule isn't it? What provision of the CBA allows us to resign the guy if we're over the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    That's different to Bird Rights rule isn't it? What provision of the CBA allows us to resign the guy if we're over the cap?
    It is the non-bird exception that allows a team to re-sign it's own free agent (at up to 120% of his previous years salary) - http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

We do not have early bird rights, or bird rights on either of them as we signed them as free agents (and those rights require at least 2 years with the team for early bird, 3 years for bird).

Elfrid Payton was renounced by the Suns July 1st, Julius Randle was renounced by the lakers July 2nd (according to www.spotrac.com).

What bff said

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    It is the non-bird exception that allows a team to re-sign it's own free agent (at up to 120% of his previous years salary) - http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

We do not have early bird rights, or bird rights on either of them as we signed them as free agents (and those rights require at least 2 years with the team for early bird, 3 years for bird).

Elfrid Payton was renounced by the Suns July 1st, Julius Randle was renounced by the lakers July 2nd (according to www.spotrac.com).
    Thanks dude, appreciate that!

So what do you think will be our strategy, assuming we want to keep Elf and Randle beyond this year?

So what do you think will be our strategy, assuming we want to keep Elf and Randle beyond this year?
    Depends how well they do. Randle might accept his 2nd year or more like accept another signing of 120% for next year. Then we will have his early bird rights so it will be easier to sign him long term afterwards.

Payton if he vastly out performs his contract we might be able to use the MLE on him.

However, I expect our roster to change between now and the end of the season so we'll have a better idea of our options after the trade deadline. Could be we have more or less cap space than we expect.

Not really sure. I haven't spent much time thinking about it to be honest, being that it is so early in the timeline. I'm not expecting Elfrid to blow us out of the water in amazement, and if he doesn't I couldn't imagine a massive market for the guy. AD has a history of making guards look good though, so even if he performs I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him necessarily (so many unknowns right now - how he performs, how well he fits in with gentry, team/locker room chemistry etc). As Mythrol made mention, it really is going to depend on where we sit after the trade deadline (and where that leaves us cap wise) . MM put out a great piece covering Randle though which is worth your time, and a lot of the thought processes from this apply across the board for the team (not just specifically randles situation).

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...julius-randle/

Thread Information