Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: With possible future trades aside, what does our cap situation look like next year?

With possible future trades aside, what does our cap situation look like next year?

How much room can we expect to have available?

So far it looks like only 6 guys are under contract after the 18-19 season.

AD
    Jrue
    Moore
    Hill
    Frank J
    G Green (I don't know if Green is guaranteed or not but probably not)

Their total combined salary (minus Green) will be 76,766,359.

Real GM expects the cap in 19-20 to be about 109 Mil.

So, 32 mil in space. or if we get out of Hill's deal this year that would be about 45 Mil.

Is ~ 45 Mil enough for a max player and resigning Niko or Randle?

Its definitely enough to bring them both back without adding anyone else.

All of the these numbers are probably wrong and just guesstimating on my part so don't kill me over it. We need something else to talk about besides Melo

We can only give Randle a 20% raise, also. Can't give him what he might want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post

Why only 20 percent? Where did u get that from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post

I think that is only if we don't have cap space available, if we have space we can use it to up the offer.

Yeah, if we don't have the space I mean. There's no telling what happens between now and the deadline.

The thing to keep in mind is even if a player isn't under contract until they sign with another team or we drop them our salary cap has what's called a "cap hold". So players like Niko, Payton, Miller, Clark, Diallo, etc all will be taking up space on our cap. Now all of this is easy to clear since it's not guaranteed money but in some cases we probably want to hold onto their holds.

For example for Miller, Clark, Diallo, and Niko we will all have either their Bird Rights or Early Bird Rights to be able to go over the cap to sign them. These are valuable pieces since it allows for better raises for the player and are valuable sometimes in sign and trades.

Then of course Randle has a player option for next year so if he opts in that takes up just under 10m in salary.

And of course there's a penalty for not having at least 13 players on your roster so the NBA eats more of your cap space. They charge you the amount equal to a rookie minimum contract. So even if we only had 6 guaranteed we'd still have 7 more minimums counted against our cap.

So yeah, our actual cap space is smaller than what you think.

In 2016 everybody had cap space. And many bad deals were signed. It looks like 2019 will be like that.

It looks like Dell is targeting real player this trade deadline. Which probably will mean that Pels wont have much space. If any.

IMO it is smart way to go into the future.
    So dont expect big splash there.

Pels will have MLE (tax payer or not tax). And it might be probably all. BAE is gone for next season.

The goal is to re-sign AD to supermax.
    It is way to early to speculate what next. First we have to see who will come in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is even if a player isn't under contract until they sign with another team or we drop them our salary cap has what's called a "cap hold". So players like Niko, Payton, Miller, Clark, Diallo, etc all will be taking up space on our cap. Now all of this is easy to clear since it's not guaranteed money but in some cases we probably want to hold onto their holds.

For example for Miller, Clark, Diallo, and Niko we will all have either their Bird Rights or Early Bird Rights to be able to go over the cap to sign them. These are valuable pieces since it allows for better raises for the player and are valuable sometimes in sign and trades.

Then of course Randle has a player option for next year so if he opts in that takes up just under 10m in salary.

And of course there's a penalty for not having at least 13 players on your roster so the NBA eats more of your cap space. They charge you the amount equal to a rookie minimum contract. So even if we only had 6 guaranteed we'd still have 7 more minimums counted against our cap.

So yeah, our actual cap space is smaller than what you think.
    2 questions. Do we have enough to throw money at a max player and do you see us bringing back nico or Randle or even both back?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Also would you throw big money at nico to keep him

Unless the team is really good this year I dont see keeping both Mirotic and Randle. As of now I'd bet we push harder to keep Randle than Mirotic and use the remaining cap space on a pg or sf. Then trade Hill and a first for for whichever position we didnt address through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Unless the team is really good this year I dont see keeping both Mirotic and Randle. As of now I'd bet we push harder to keep Randle than Mirotic and use the remaining cap space on a pg or sf. Then trade Hill and a first for for whichever position we didnt address through FA.
    I would rather Nico tbh.... plays defense can hit the 3 and put the ball on the floor... the dude is beast only thing is him not being athletic

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    2 questions. Do we have enough to throw money at a max player and do you see us bringing back nico or Randle or even both back?
    It's impossible at this point to know what our cap situation will look like at the end of the season. I think everyone expects a trade coming near the deadline so that will change the math on all those things. Without looking into the numbers and assuming everything on the roster stays the same, my guess is we could probably offer a big contract but not a max without making some other moves.

Yes I would assume we at the bare minimum bring back one of either Niko or Randle (again assuming no trades where Niko goes out) and odds are probably better than 50/50 that if given the choice we bring both back
    Also would you throw big money at nico to keep him
    Depends what we call big money. I think Niko is a better Ryan Anderson. Just as good of an offensive weapon but a better rebounder and defender. When teams try to go small Niko can play the 5 against almost all of them.

I would have tried to sign him to an extension this summer to lock him in at a lower rate but I understand why we didn't do that. My guess is on the open market this coming summer he might be able to get something in the 15-18 million range maybe even higher if he's willing to go to a bad team. I would give him a 3yr/50m deal if he told me he'd take that. That's roughly 15% of the cap and I think fair value for what he brings.

It's impossible at this point to know what our cap situation will look like at the end of the season. I think everyone expects a trade coming near the deadline so that will change the math on all those things. Without looking into the numbers and assuming everything on the roster stays the same, my guess is we could probably offer a big contract but not a max without making some other moves.

Yes I would assume we at the bare minimum bring back one of either Niko or Randle (again assuming no trades where Niko goes out) and odds are probably better than 50/50 that if given the choice we bring both backDepends what we call big money. I think Niko is a better Ryan Anderson. Just as good of an offensive weapon but a better rebounder and defender. When teams try to go small Niko can play the 5 against almost all of them.

I would have tried to sign him to an extension this summer to lock him in at a lower rate but I understand why we didn't do that. My guess is on the open market this coming summer he might be able to get something in the 15-18 million range maybe even higher if he's willing to go to a bad team. I would give him a 3yr/50m deal if he told me he'd take that. That's roughly 15% of the cap and I think fair value for what he brings.
    Another question who would you bring back nico or Randle?

It is too early to say. First I want to see how Julius will play...

I'd like to see how Randle fits first but as of right now I really like the fit of Niko next to AD. Either one can play inside or out so it makes defending them much harder. Unless Randle adds at least a midrange shot he's going to limit our offense especially in the playoffs when the game slows down.

I do really like the 3 man rotation of Randle, AD, and Niko. My goal, assuming Randle works out, would be to try to keep that big man core together.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I'd like to see how Randle fits first but as of right now I really like the fit of Niko next to AD. Either one can play inside or out so it makes defending them much harder. Unless Randle adds at least a midrange shot he's going to limit our offense especially in the playoffs when the game slows down.

I do really like the 3 man rotation of Randle, AD, and Niko. My goal, assuming Randle works out, would be to try to keep that big man core together.
    I think we keep all 3, which would give us the best frontcourt in the league for at least 4-5 years

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I still think the Randolph/Gasol pairing has inspired Demps vision for the team, a team built to beat the GS types. Remeber, Memphis was up 2-1 in '15, ad then the injuries to Conley and Allen happened, which killed the hopes of Memphis.
    It's the zig to the zag. If we go forward after this season with all 3, I think Demps will have created something even stronger than what Memphis had.
    Last edited by luigi modelo; 08-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.

I think Randle's trajectory is that he will become a good mid-range shooter. If he gets the minutes (30+), he will b a 20/10/5 guy. Lets put it this way: He increased his PPG by 3 points last year and averaged LESS minutes than the year before. If the Pelicans play him as a small ball center like the Lakers did at the 2nd half of last year, he will be a problem for other teams.

I think we use the cap space to sign nico and randle. They are legit good players who want to be here. We have a sick big man rotation going into the season. If Diallo and okafor kill it then we have 4 to 5 bigs in rotation which is way better than we went into last season with.

Payton. Clark. Frank
    jrue. Moore. Liggins
    Hill. Miller. Diamond pickup (would love to see one of the three make the jump for liggins spot too)
    Ad. Nico. Diallo
    Randle. Okafor ajinca

We have 4 starters we can rely on and 3 second teamers ready to roll. I am in love with Clark, Moore and nico off the bench for an offensive boost. I am saying rosaries for Hill to play starting minutes and to contribute in any way possible.

We really got to lock up a team next year before AD super max in 2020. Kind of worried with our overreliance on building through FA. I don't know if the FO can switch gears and build through the draft.

Lol I kinda feel like Dell has been pretty good in terms of cleaning up the mess he created with the bad contracts early on but lol I feel like Dell would probably be they type of GM that would probably throw a max at someone like tobias Harris

Lol I kinda feel like Dell has been pretty good in terms of cleaning up the mess he created with the bad contracts early on but lol I feel like Dell would probably be they type of GM that would probably throw a max at someone like tobias Harris
    Yea, I wouldnt be surprised if we ended up offering Tobias a huge deal. Wouldn't be the end of the world though, hes young and can shoot the lights out.

-Khris Middleton should be our primary focus for FA.
    -Niko over Randle 10/10
    -It's really up to Diallo whether we bring back both Randle and Niko
    -If Middleton is gone try Kemba

Ideal 2019 Team:

AD / Diallo
    Niko / Randle
    Middleton / Hill
    Jrue / Moore
    Payton / Jackson

Obviously hitting a home run with Durant or Kawhi or Klay would be awesome, but conservatively speaking this would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    -Khris Middleton should be our primary focus for FA.
    -Niko over Randle 10/10
    -It's really up to Diallo whether we bring back both Randle and Niko
    -If Middleton is gone try Kemba

Ideal 2019 Team:

AD / Diallo
    Niko / Randle
    Middleton / Hill
    Jrue / Moore
    Payton / Jackson

Obviously hitting a home run with Durant or Kawhi or Klay would be awesome, but conservatively speaking this would be awesome.
    I actually think, in terms of fit and positions and whatnot, that I'd take Klay over Durant. Not in a vacuum, obviously Durant is the better player, but I think for our system, in tandem with guys like Jrue, Niko, and AD, Klay would be perfect. Kawhi also. Durant would be third in that wish list.

Not that it matters because we're almost guaranteed to get none of them.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I actually think, in terms of fit and positions and whatnot, that I'd take Klay over Durant. Not in a vacuum, obviously Durant is the better player, but I think for our system, in tandem with guys like Jrue, Niko, and AD, Klay would be perfect. Kawhi also. Durant would be third in that wish list.

Not that it matters because we're almost guaranteed to get none of them.
    Maybe not too much of a pipe dream for Klay only based on his familiarity with Gentry. But who knows, he may not like Alvin so probably still a super long shot.

Thread Information