Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Hill

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Solomon Hill

I lot of us are disappointed in Hill, including me, but I think it’s not fair to judge him based on last year. It’s very hard to come back from an injury after being out so long. It’s even harder when you’re playing in an offense like Gentry’s. I think Alvin is a good coach, many were wrong about him, he could get Solo to excel this year since health isn’t going to be an issue. He will get a lot more time to adjust playing with the team.

Hill got that contract for a reason. I think Demps is right a lot more than he is wrong. Look at Jrue, look at Niko, Moore etc. I am going to keep an open mind and see how Hill does this year. I doubt any of the players we signed are even near his level. Seriously.

Forget last years numbers. I honestly think his stats will be more like:
    7.5-10ppg, 4.8rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.5 spg, .9 bpg .37.5% for 3 pointers all in 29-32min per game.

I would be happy with those numbers.

What I really hope happens this year is to see our team has serious depth so we can keep guys rested while running the fastest pace to wear teams down. I am 100% convinced that the only way anyone will beat GSW is by playing faster than them. That might not be possible. Klay Thompson said he’s never felt so exhausted in his career than when he played the PELS last year in playoffs.

Last year we were great but this year I think we will actually be better but possibly way better. Several factors make me think we will be really good. What do y’all think?

https://youtu.be/GUi5Oemgsrg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What disappoints me is his shooting.

All through his rehab it kept getting whispered how much of what he was able to do was practice his jumpshot.....and it still looks abysmal. Couple that with the Larry Bird comments that he is not a dedicated worker off the court and aside from his ability to come across like a model player and teammate verbally, I haven't seen a whole lot to like from him. Had Demps and a few other GM's in a cash flush market not bided to get him, he's a guy that right now I suspect would be in the G-league or overseas, working on 10 day contracts and minimum deals.

Julius Randle not near Solomon Hill’s level? Are you serious? Well you said seriously, so I guess so. That’s crazy talk IMO. Now maybe Elfrid Payton is close to his level, but offensively their is no comparison there either IMO. Now if you meant the other way around in that he’s not near there level than yes that’s true lol

I think Hill can possibly be a good backup small forward in this league. He shouldn’t be starting for any team with playoff aspirations though. But since we have given him that contract we are almost forced to start him. Not really though since we showed last year that we can get by with a 3 guard lineup even with none of those guards over 6’4”. I hope Hill proves me wrong and shows that he is a starting caliber player, but I have serious doubts. Either way I’m hoping for some improvement from him.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Julius Randle not near Solomon Hill’s level? Are you serious? Well you said seriously, so I guess so. That’s crazy talk IMO. Now maybe Elfrid Payton is close to his level, but offensively their is no comparison there either IMO. Now if you meant the other way around in that he’s not near there level than yes that’s true lol

I think Hill can possibly be a good backup small forward in this league. He shouldn’t be starting for any team with playoff aspirations though. But since we have given him that contract we are almost forced to start him. Not really though since we showed last year that we can get by with a 3 guard lineup even with none of those guards over 6’4”. I hope Hill proves me wrong and shows that he is a starting caliber player, but I have serious doubts. Either way I’m hoping for some improvement from him.
    I think he meant the small forwards we signed, not the guys at other positions.

I want him to be as good as MKG. Great defense and very little shooting due to being hot garbage. You can be all defense averaging 5 shots a game...

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think he meant the small forwards we signed, not the guys at other positions.
    Like who? Troy Williams? If that was the case he should of said, “I doubt Troy Williams is even near his level”. Instead he said ANY of the players we signed and considering we only signed Julius Randle(PF/C), Elfrid Payton(PG), Troy Williams(SF), 2-way Trevon Blueitt(SG), and resigned Ian Clark(PG/SG), I would think he meant all of them.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-29-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I want him to be as good as MKG. Great defense and very little shooting due to being hot garbage. You can be all defense averaging 5 shots a game...
    Yes but he doesn’t have the athleticism MKG has to be as an effective defender & slasher.

I strongly believe we'll see the 2015-2016 version of Solomon Hill this season. As someone said above it is very difficult to come back from a torn hamstring and play substantial minutes. You could see in his performance against the Warriors that he didn't have any burst in his step. He was relegated to playing backup PF. If he could become that stalwart on the perimeter to take on guys like Harden, George and Lebron then we'll be in good shape. I hope Coach Erman is coaching him to be the 2nd best perimeter defender next to Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    I strongly believe we'll see the 2015-2016 version of Solomon Hill this season. As someone said above it is very difficult to come back from a torn hamstring and play substantial minutes. You could see in his performance against the Warriors that he didn't have any burst in his step. He was relegated to playing backup PF. If he could become that stalwart on the perimeter to take on guys like Harden, George and Lebron then we'll be in good shape. I hope Coach Erman is coaching him to be the 2nd best perimeter defender next to Jrue.
    With his inibilty to do anything well besides play defence he should be the number 1 perimeter defender.

I want Jrue fresh on offence. Solo can play his arse off for 28-30 mintes.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    With his inibilty to do anything well besides play defence he should be the number 1 perimeter defender.

I want Jrue fresh on offence. Solo can play his arse off for 28-30 mintes.
    I doubt anyone can be a better defender than Jrue. Jrue is arguably in the conversation of best 2-way player in the entire league. His tape doesn't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    I doubt anyone can be a better defender than Jrue. Jrue is arguably in the conversation of best 2-way player in the entire league. His tape doesn't lie.
    I was meaning that Hill should take the tougher defensive assignments, to let Jrue rest. Not that Hill would be better.

When I see other teams fans screaming for us to put in Hill. The last thing that we need is to give him starting minutes. We got robbed. Deal with it. Giving him a pass for injury after 2 unacceptable poor years is a bit much. He deserve some scrutiny for under performing and being an untradable asset.

I was meaning that Hill should take the tougher defensive assignments, to let Jrue rest. Not that Hill would be better.
    This myth that Hill is a great defender is pretty annoying. He gets eaten alive by star athletes and his offensive awareness is atrocious at time. If he can feast on bench players and role players... Cool beans. Yet, Jrue can lock down a star player like Lillard. Hill can barely keep himself from committing huge lapses on the offensive end that negates any defensive play he makes. Hill is an overpaid solid bench player at best with some role playing ability. Nothing more. If his jumpshot game can improve. Please. He is a solid bench 3pt shooter that can lock up a great 6th man on any given night. Which is valuable. Sadly, not 12 million a year valuable. He is a position you're supposed to underpaid.

Damn that cap spike.

I agree with you. Hill should be able to take on much bigger opponents while Jrue guard guys at his position. We hope not to see Jrue defending KD again.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    This myth that Hill is a great defender is pretty annoying. He gets eaten alive by star athletes and his offensive awareness is atrocious at time. If he can feast on bench players and role players... Cool beans. Yet, Jrue can lock down a star player like Lillard. Hill can barely keep himself from committing huge lapses on the offensive end that negates any defensive play he makes. Hill is an overpaid solid bench player at best with some role playing ability. Nothing more. If his jumpshot game can improve. Please. He is a solid bench 3pt shooter that can lock up a great 6th man on any given night. Which is valuable. Sadly, not 12 million a year valuable. He is a position you're supposed to underpaid.

Damn that cap spike.
    I disagree. We can't count last season as part of his performance. He missed all of training camp and 3/4ths of the season. Now, is he a top wing offensively? No. But, he can give you another big body to bang in the post and is a willing defender. Sure, if the Pelicans can get an upgrade I say go for it. But, in the intermediate lets just see how he comes back when training camp begins. I believe you'll be surprised.

Worth it or not (not) he is now a bad $26M combined salary. Who thanks to DMC deal does not need to be traded away. Yet.
    Dumping him right now costs one first and one second probably.

Next year he will be expiring and may have some neutral value.

I would love him to succeed. But it is better not to expect a ton from him.
    Training camp and Gentry's Ball might help him a ton. Hopefully he will realize that.
    I want him to be playable. That is all...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Sorry, I meant the SFs we recently signed. Not Randle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna judge him after last season... he missed 3/4 of the season and never really got his legs under him. Even into the playoffs you could tell he wasn't quite right. Just seemed he was running with a hitch in his giddy-up, and that can also affect your shooting. He's got a clean slate with me... I just think this extra time to rehab that quad (or hammy?) will do him some good.

I will be the biggest Hill/Williams fan for one of them to take the Starting SF spot and letting Moore be our 1st guard off the bench. I might be dreaming since I do not want Pels to be desperate at the deadline. It would be nice to upgrade at the deadline if a good deal is out there.

I was disappointed in Solo based off what I saw from him before the hamstring injury. This season didn't help things for me.
    RIP FlyGirl

Like who? Troy Williams? If that was the case he should of said, “I doubt Troy Williams is even near his level”. Instead he said ANY of the players we signed and considering we only signed Julius Randle(PF/C), Elfrid Payton(PG), Troy Williams(SF), 2-way Trevon Blueitt(SG), and resigned Ian Clark(PG/SG), I would think he meant all of them.
    We also signed two other small forwards. I think he meant the three small forwards we signed. Williams, Green , and the other kid.

Edit: Yep. he meant the small forwards.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 07-30-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    What disappoints me is his shooting.

All through his rehab it kept getting whispered how much of what he was able to do was practice his jumpshot.....and it still looks abysmal. Couple that with the Larry Bird comments that he is not a dedicated worker off the court and aside from his ability to come across like a model player and teammate verbally, I haven't seen a whole lot to like from him. Had Demps and a few other GM's in a cash flush market not bided to get him, he's a guy that right now I suspect would be in the G-league or overseas, working on 10 day contracts and minimum deals.
    eh I imagine it was all just fluff to keep the interest. I don't really get how the dude would have been able to fully and properly practice his jumpshot so much with a serious hamstring injury. I'm keen to see what he is like with a healthy off-season to work on things. from memory when he was playing solo was rushing his shot a lot in order to get back on defense quickly, hopefully unbroken practice can help get him more settled.

who am I kidding, with this teams luck he will slip and hurt himself trying to avoid standing on his kids lego.

Just saw on hoops hype that we were interested in Bazemore but ATL didn’t want solo
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    When you give a guy who averaged 6 PPG in three years, $12 million a year, you know you made a mistake. I like Solo the man, but damn, he needs to get out.

I'll never understand that contract for the life of me.

Last off-season, Jrue was player enemy number one with the "worst contract". This one's a taller task but we should keep hating and test our luck.

Thread Information