Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Quietly Optimistic About The Future?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I'm quietly optimistic because we basically traded Cousins for Niko and Randle, as a huge reason we got Mirotic is due to Cousins getting injured. Statistically combined they're pretty great of a replacement and to be honest, while Cousins was a superstar basically he was still a bit of a headcase at times. While he did better than he did while playing for Sac town but the guy could get emotional. A lot.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

We would have gotten Niko even had Cousins not been injured....just as we signed Randle and were still willing to sign Cousins.....but I agree with your point, after what we saw once he got injured, I prefer the current front court of AD/Randle/Niko/Diallo/Okafor over an AD/Cousins/Diallo/Okafor rotation. We should be better than we were when Cousins was playing. And we should definitely be better in the front court than we were in the playoffs since all we did essentially is add Randle.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    We would have gotten Niko even had Cousins not been injured....just as we signed Randle and were still willing to sign Cousins.....but I agree with your point, after what we saw once he got injured, I prefer the current front court today an AD/Cousins/Diallo/Okafor rotation.
    We weren’t willing to sign Cousins after Randle Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    We offered him a deal for the entire rest of our available cap space below the tax line after we signed Randle. It was for 1yr/~13m or nearly 3x what he signed with the Warriors for.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is true that we would have gotten Niko had Cousins not gotten hurt. AFAIK the Bulls thought they were getting a 1st round pick around 10. In the event the Bulls got 22 but that was not at all what they were expecting. If Cousins had not gotten hurt, our 1st round pick would not have been nearly as valuable. Sure, even if Cousins were not hurt we would have offered the same trade, but I don't think the Bulls would have taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpagenola View Post
    I don't think it is true that we would have gotten Niko had Cousins not gotten hurt. AFAIK the Bulls thought they were getting a 1st round pick around 10. In the event the Bulls got 22 but that was not at all what they were expecting. If Cousins had not gotten hurt, our 1st round pick would not have been nearly as valuable. Sure, even if Cousins were not hurt we would have offered the same trade, but I don't think the Bulls would have taken it.
    No matter what we were going to make a trade for Nico because he had demanded a trade and no other team was even offering a 1st which is what Chicago wanted for him.

Maybe we end up not getting a 2nd round pick if Cousins doesn't go down but we were for sure going to get Nico. That trade had been in the works for months.

To be fair I'm not sure I'd call the Warriors better this year, especially during the regular season. I see a world where Cousins is far more of a distraction than anything else on that team. Plus they've lost both of their healthy centers and who knows when Cousins will come back from injury.

If diallo finally gets it and if Frank can stay healthy our optimism will be rewarded with a conference finals appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No matter what we were going to make a trade for Nico because he had demanded a trade and no other team was even offering a 1st which is what Chicago wanted for him.

Maybe we end up not getting a 2nd round pick if Cousins doesn't go down but we were for sure going to get Nico. That trade had been in the works for months.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images (1).jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	6349

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    If diallo finally gets it and if Frank can stay healthy our optimism will be rewarded with a conference finals appearance.
    Diallo is never gonna get it. Not big enough, not smart enough & lacks any ball handling skills. Thus, he is an average #4, with a 3's body, w/ lack of any WOW factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Diallo is never gonna get it. Not big enough, not smart enough & lacks any ball handling skills. Thus, he is an average #4, with a 3's body, w/ lack of any WOW factors.
    2018 Julian Wright

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    2018 Julian Wright
    I think he has more upside than juju

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I agree, I'm ready to move on. Trade him if you can get some value for him. I do like his hustle though and if we were a rebuilding team I think I'd like him more but not as a player on a playoff team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    2018 Julian Wright
    I've seen a whole lot more promise out of Cheick than I ever have with Juju.

This team has a chance to be really special. No team had 2 big men that can contend with Boogie and AD combination of size and skill. I see the same thing with Randle/AD but maybe at a notch higher. No team has 2 big men that can run with AD and Randle. They are too fast, too athletic, too skilled. That lob play on the break we run for AD, is now available for Randle as well. Randle is a legit point forward, Gentry will expand his role, I see him having a breakout season similar to James Harden when he went to Houston. Imagine a Randle-AD pick and roll, unstoppable!
    Throw in Niko, Diallo and Oak.. and I think we have the best and fastest frontcourt in the league.

Jrue figured out towards the end of the season, that nobody can guard him and broke out. He put up Dwayne Wade stats in the playoffs, 23.7ppg, 6.3apg, 5.3rpg. Jrue is a superstar next season. 2nd best SG in the league aiming for that #1 spot.
    He has a top 7 backup SG, coming off the bench behind him in Moore.

I think Frank Jackson will be the starting PG next season. I think he fits better next to our Big 3 since they will be creating a lot of the offense. His scoring ability, defense and athleticism will be a great compliment. He could average 14ppg and 4apg in 27mpg. Frank and Jrue can be an imposing tandem on both sides of the ball.
    While Payton's ability to run an offense will be critical to the success of our bench.

If Solomon Hill can become a threat from 3, he is all we need from a SF. He can slash, play make, defend at a high level and hes low usage. With all the points coming from our guards and bigs, it's not like we need 20ppg from this position. We just need about 9-12ppg and great defense. Darius Miller has to improve his defense, but he can be an adequate backup. Would like to get add another SF for games Darius is off.

Starters: Frank, Jrue, Solo, Jules, AD
    Bench: Elfrid, Etwuan, Darius, Niko, Cheick
    3rd string: Clark, Liggins, Oak

This team can play at a breakneck pace in terms of speed. They can be suffocating on defense and put a lot of pressure on offense. There are no egos, no ball dominant players, this team will play for each other and that's what will make them great and hard to beat. They will come out fired up from the jump, I'm going to predict 60+ wins.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I've seen a whole lot more promise out of Cheick than I ever have with Juju.
    Maybe you're right
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 07-23-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    This team has a chance to be really special. No team had 2 big men that can contend with Boogie and AD combination of size and skill. I see the same thing with Randle/AD but maybe at a notch higher. No team has 2 big men that can run with AD and Randle. They are too fast, too athletic, too skilled. That lob play on the break we run for AD, is now available for Randle as well. Randle is a legit point forward, Gentry will expand his role, I see him having a breakout season similar to James Harden when he went to Houston. Imagine a Randle-AD pick and roll, unstoppable!
    Throw in Niko, Diallo and Oak.. and I think we have the best and fastest frontcourt in the league.

Jrue figured out towards the end of the season, that nobody can guard him and broke out. He put up Dwayne Wade stats in the playoffs, 23.7ppg, 6.3apg, 5.3rpg. Jrue is a superstar next season. 2nd best SG in the league aiming for that #1 spot.
    He has a top 7 backup SG, coming off the bench behind him in Moore.

I think Frank Jackson will be the starting PG next season. I think he fits better next to our Big 3 since they will be creating a lot of the offense. His scoring ability, defense and athleticism will be a great compliment. He could average 14ppg and 4apg in 27mpg. Frank and Jrue can be an imposing tandem on both sides of the ball.
    While Payton's ability to run an offense will be critical to the success of our bench.

If Solomon Hill can become a threat from 3, he is all we need from a SF. He can slash, play make, defend at a high level and hes low usage. With all the points coming from our guards and bigs, it's not like we need 20ppg from this position. We just need about 9-12ppg and great defense. Darius Miller has to improve his defense, but he can be an adequate backup. Would like to get add another SF for games Darius is off.

Starters: Frank, Jrue, Solo, Jules, AD
    Bench: Elfrid, Etwuan, Darius, Niko, Cheick
    3rd string: Clark, Liggins, Oak

This team can play at a breakneck pace in terms of speed. They can be suffocating on defense and put a lot of pressure on offense. There are no egos, no ball dominant players, this team will play for each other and that's what will make them great and hard to beat. They will come out fired up from the jump, I'm going to predict 60+ wins.
    I’m sorry but I would currently put 5-8 shooting guards ahead of Jrue.

1. James Harden
    2. DeMar Derozan
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Donovan Mitchell
    5. Jimmy Butler
    6. Devin Booker
    7. Bradley Beal
    8. CJ McCollum

I would probably put him right there with Beal & McCollum, maybe higher but he has to play there more than one season to be considered one of the best IMO.

I seriously doubt Frank Jackson will start at point guard this year. I see him more as a combo guard than a true point like Payton. He and Clark(who is another more combo type IMO) will likely battle for the backup spot though. I could see him beating out Clark, but not Payton.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

1. James Harden
    2. DeMar Derozan
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Donovan Mitchell
    5. Jimmy Butler
    6. Devin Booker
    7. Bradley Beal
    8. CJ McCollum

I would probably put him right there with Beal & McCollum, maybe higher but he has to play there more than one season to be considered one of the best IMO.

I seriously doubt Frank Jackson will start at point guard this year. I see him more as a combo guard than a true point like Payton. He and Clark(who is another more combo type IMO) will likely battle for the backup spot though. I could see him beating out Clark, but not Payton.
    So you say he has to play there more than 1 season and yet you have Mitchell up there? Lol okay

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Sorry, but Derozan is not a better player than Jrue

1. James Harden
    2. DeMar Derozan
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Donovan Mitchell
    5. Jimmy Butler
    6. Devin Booker
    7. Bradley Beal
    8. CJ McCollum

I think Jrue is better than those guys. McCollum didnt seem anywhere near his league in the playoffs.

Frank is more of a combo guard than a true point, that's why he may be a better fit next to our Jrue, Jules, AD and to a lesser extent Solo. All of those guys can create offense and probably will play better with more of a scoring PG than a true PG. Remember our Big 3 played better with Clark last season than they did with Nelson or Rondo. Frank in Clark's role is dangerous. While Elfrid being a true point will benefit our bench more, with Moore, Miller, Niko and Dialllo.

1. James Harden
    2. DeMar Derozan
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Donovan Mitchell
    5. Jimmy Butler
    6. Devin Booker
    7. Bradley Beal
    8. CJ McCollum

Sorry, Derozen is not better than Jrue, he plays 0 defense..

Also, Jrue destroyed CJ in the playoffs, so I wouldnt say hes better than Jrue either

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    So you say he has to play there more than 1 season and yet you have Mitchell up there? Lol okay

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Did you read my post? I said the best, I have Mitchell 4th, and last time I checked that’s not one of the best!!

He’s not better than those top 5 for sure IMO. DeRozan is a WAY better SHOOTING guard than Jrue IMO. I’m not sure if I would put him ahead of Booker either. Now if you say all around 2 guard than yes Jrue would be one of the best.

IMO Jrue is more of a combo guard than a shooting guard anyway like Harden is now.

Combo 2 guards:
    1. James Harden
    2. Donovan Mitchell (in the playoffs he played a lot of point & was good when Rubio went down)
    3. Jrue Holiday

Pure 2 guards:
    1. DeMar DeRozan
    2. Klay Thompson
    3. Devin Booker

Jimmy Butler is more of a 3 than a 2 IMO. He’s just playing the 2 now cause they have Wiggins at the 3.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-23-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Did you read my post? I said the best, I have Mitchell 4th, and last time I checked that’s not one of the best!!

He’s not better than those top 5 for sure IMO. DeRozan is a WAY better SHOOTING guard than Jrue IMO. I’m not sure if I would put him ahead of Booker either. Now if you say all around 2 guard than yes Jrue would be one of the best.

IMO Jrue is more of a combo guard than a shooting guard anyway like Harden is now.

Combo 2 guards:
    1. James Harden
    2. Donovan Mitchell
    3. Jrue Holiday

Pure 2 guards:
    1. DeMar DeRozan
    2. Klay Thompson
    3. Devin Booker

Butler is more of a combo 2-3 IMO.
    I have never seen anyone break down shooting guards like this before. But just to clarify, a 2 guard is the same thing as a shooting guard.

But based on your rankings, I would have them like this:

Combo 2 guards:
    1. James Harden
    2. Jrue Holiday
    3. Donovan Mitchell

Pure 2 guards:
    1. Klay Thompson
    2. DeMar DeRozan
    3. Devin Booker

I think Harden is the top guy overall, and then Jrue , Mitchell and Thompson are right there in the next group. Then Derozan and Booker in tier 3. Butler would be 2nd overall if included and is closer to Harden than anyone else unless playoff Jrue becomes a full time thing.

The difference is defense. Just because a guy can score doesn't mean he is a top player, looking at you Booker.

Where a few of those other names beat Jrue out on offense, he beats every single one of them on defense. If he could draw a foul he would be right under harden...

Thread Information