Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Anyone Else Quietly Optimistic About The Future?

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Did you read my post? I said the best, I have Mitchell 4th, and last time I checked that’s not one of the best!!

He’s not better than those top 5 for sure IMO. DeRozan is a WAY better SHOOTING guard than Jrue IMO. I’m not sure if I would put him ahead of Booker either. Now if you say all around 2 guard than yes Jrue would be one of the best.

IMO Jrue is more of a combo guard than a shooting guard anyway like Harden is now.

Combo 2 guards:
    1. James Harden
    2. Donovan Mitchell (in the playoffs he played a lot of point & was good when Rubio went down)
    3. Jrue Holiday

Pure 2 guards:
    1. DeMar DeRozan
    2. Klay Thompson
    3. Devin Booker

Jimmy Butler is more of a 3 than a 2 IMO. He’s just playing the 2 now cause they have Wiggins at the 3.
    Surely Curry is a combo guard

An AD-Randle pick and roll is far from unstoppable. The opposing 4/5 just switch it every time. Just like the AD/Boogie pick and roll was mostly ineffective

Not sure what the distinction between a shooting guard and a 2 is. Are you simply talking about shooter? Because whether you classify a player as a 2 or a SG, the all around game matters, not just offense. As such, Jrue moves well up that list when considering defense as well as offense.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I have never seen anyone break down shooting guards like this before. But just to clarify, a 2 guard is the same thing as a shooting guard.

But based on your rankings, I would have them like this:

Combo 2 guards:
    1. James Harden
    2. Jrue Holiday
    3. Donovan Mitchell

Pure 2 guards:
    1. Klay Thompson
    2. DeMar DeRozan
    3. Devin Booker

I think Harden is the top guy overall, and then Jrue , Mitchell and Thompson are right there in the next group. Then Derozan and Booker in tier 3. Butler would be 2nd overall if included and is closer to Harden than anyone else unless playoff Jrue becomes a full time thing.

The difference is defense. Just because a guy can score doesn't mean he is a top player, looking at you Booker.

I started that a few years back when old school position delegations kind of went by the wasteside. It’s like a stretch 4 and a regular 4. Which is kind of like a shooting guard and combo guard, off-guard or 2 guard. Not all 4s can shoot, so they came up with a name to distinguish the two. Not all 2s can shoot, so we usually call them combo guard(if they run some point), off-guard, or just 2 guard(if they can’t shoot all that great).

I bet ANYONE outside of New Orleans would think differently about that combo guard list IMO

Steph Curry is more a scoring point guard. IMO combo guards are mainly 2 guards that can sometime play the 1 or 1s that sometime play the 2. Does he play the two often? If he does than yes I guess he could be considered as a combo guard.

I think most teams would add Mitchell, DeRozan, Klay, & Booker over Jrue. It depends on the teams situation though
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-23-2018 at 11:30 PM.

I started that a few years back when old school position delegations kind of went by the wasteside. It’s like a stretch 4 and a regular 4. Which is kind of like a shooting guard and combo guard, off-guard or 2 guard. Not all 4s can shoot, so they came up with a name to distinguish the two. Not all 2s can shoot, so we usually call them combo guard(if they run some point), off-guard, or just 2 guard(if they can’t shoot all that great).

I bet ANYONE outside of New Orleans would think differently about that combo guard list IMO

Steph Curry is more a scoring point guard. IMO combo guards are mainly 2 guards that can sometime play the 1 or 1s that sometime play the 2. Does he play the two often? If he does than yes I guess he could be considered as a combo guard.

I think most teams would add Mitchell, DeRozan, Klay, & Booker over Jrue. It depends on the teams situation though
    You say not all 2 guards can shoot, but the position is literally called shooting guard. If you're a 2 and can't shoot then what are you?

All combo guards can shoot and play a little point. Combo guards are rarely point guards first and shooters second, but Curry may fit the bill here.
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-23-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Donovan Mitchell is still under Jrue IMO, may overtake Jrue this year but Donovan's efficiency was bad last year.

I'd take Jrue over Mitchell still. Mitchell is an explosive scorer and athlete, but I think Jrue is a better defender at this point, a better distributor, and has a higher IQ. Mitchell has all the potential in the world to overtake him at some point soon though.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You say not all 2 guards can shoot, but the position is literally called shooting guard. If you're a 2 and can't shoot then what are you?

All combo guards can shoot and play a little point. Combo guards are rarely point guards first and shooters second, but Curry may fit the bill here.
    If you are a 2 and can't shoot, you are Andre Roberson !

I think people forget that once Cousins went down Jrue averaged something like 20-7-5 on good effeciency while also shutting down the main offensive threat on the other team.

He wasn't a borderline All Star, he was better than Klay Thompson. Those are similar numbers to Jimmy Butler. He blew out of the water Mitchell, Derozan, and a lot of those other guys without even looking at his defensive impact.

People are massively overlooking just how insane of a performance Jrue put on.

If I were building a team today I'd put Harden above him, Butler above him, and then he'd be right with Klay. Top 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think people forget that once Cousins went down Jrue averaged something like 20-7-5 on good effeciency while also shutting down the main offensive threat on the other team.

He wasn't a borderline All Star, he was better than Klay Thompson. Those are similar numbers to Jimmy Butler. He blew out of the water Mitchell, Derozan, and a lot of those other guys without even looking at his defensive impact.

People are massively overlooking just how insane of a performance Jrue put on.

If I were building a team today I'd put Harden above him, Butler above him, and then he'd be right with Klay. Top 3 or 4.
    Yep. Not only that, the job he did in the playoffs was utterly ridiculous.

Mitchell in the playoffs: 24/6/4 on 42% from the field, 31% from 3, 16.8 PER, 101 ORTG, 108 DRTG, 51.2% true shooting.
    Jrue in the playoffs: 24/6/6 on 51.8% from the field, 32% from 3, 19.7 PER, 112 ORTG, 110 DRTG, 58.1% true shooting.

Literally the only thing Mitchell did better than Jrue was defensive rating, and at least some of that can be attributed to team play style, and the fact that we had to play against offensive gauntlets like GSW, with Jrue guarding people like KD, Curry, and Klay at various points.

I’m sorry but I would currently put 5-8 shooting guards ahead of Jrue.

1. James Harden
    2. DeMar Derozan
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Donovan Mitchell
    5. Jimmy Butler
    6. Devin Booker
    7. Bradley Beal
    8. CJ McCollum

I would probably put him right there with Beal & McCollum, maybe higher but he has to play there more than one season to be considered one of the best IMO.

I seriously doubt Frank Jackson will start at point guard this year. I see him more as a combo guard than a true point like Payton. He and Clark(who is another more combo type IMO) will likely battle for the backup spot though. I could see him beating out Clark, but not Payton.
    Obviously this is a shock/troll post....or you're just one of those guys that likes being contrary. I just want to hear one thing.... In your opinion, and opinions can be different, make your case for McCollum over Jrue. You can even say they are close but still, I want to see your reasoning for how they are so close you can rank them equal.

Thread Information