.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 111

Thread: Anyone Else Quietly Optimistic About The Future?

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's crazy people were saying we had to keep Cousins even at the max. I remember people calling it a no-brainer. We don't offer Boogie a deal after free agency opened up resulting in him leaving and now it's no big deal. This place is so wishy washy.
    I agree that Cousins leaving is a big deal no matter how you slice it. My hope is that the way he left plays a factor in AD not being as upset with the organization. I could still see this being the start of the end of the AD era though.

    I hope we make a big move that can bolster the team long term and get AD to sign his extension.

    I am apprehensive right now though. There is a glimmer of hope but it's only a sliver atm.

  2. #27
    The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,038
    Losing Cousins is a big deal, but we have probably gained equal value when you combine the talents of Mirotic and Randle. Furthermore, if both were to sign extensions in the 18 mile range, 36 mil combined for the 2, you are on equal cap value of Boogies envisioned contract. There is a good chance that the duo of Mirotic and Randle is better for us than having just Cousins in the long run. Lots of ifs, but I am optimistic.

  3. #28
    I'm optimistic that I will enjoy watching the team this year, more so than in some recent seasons.

    I think it was a hard and courageous move not to re-sign Cousins at his number. After all, if Cousins returns to All-Star form and the Pels struggle, people could turn on Dell very quickly for letting a talent like that get away from a small market.

    But this is the first time it feels like there is a clear vision for this team, how it should play and how the roster should be constructed. The joke was always that Dell gave Monty the squad Gentry would want and, with Cousins, gave Gentry the squad Monty would want.

    Now, as Sean Payton is fond of saying, it seems like the Pels have a "vision" for each player and the role they will play.

    I still think we have a bit of a "Ryan Anderson" problem in that we have multiple high value players at one position (PF), but all three are flexible and should form a nice rotation. I could still see Mirotic (as much as I like what I saw from him in the second half of the season) being flipped as part of a trade to bring in a top-tier wing. That would balance out the roster and give you your closing five. No need to rush that deal.

    I think Dell might have learned to be a bit more patient and let the market come to him. Time and again over his tenure it seems we've been in a rush and ended up locked into poor contracts that prevented us from being ready to pounce when a much better deal presented itself later. Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. Keep your powder dry and trust that the market will yield up the right opportunity if you have the assets in the bank.

  4. #29
    Losing Boogies stinks, but paying him a ton of money this year would of been worthless. Heís a 27 year old big man coming off a devastating injury. I know thatís not that old, but he may not be 100% for a year or 2. Itís not guaranteed he will come back the same anytime soon or possibly ever. A lower leg injury to any big man scares the hell out of me.

    Extremely unlucky on our part cause now we will probably never know how good that big man combo could of been in the playoffs. Now if we could of gotten him for 5.4 mil like the Warriors on that first year than yes, but he probably was only coming back here for the max. Like I said itís too scary for me to risk that much money on a big man with a bad lower leg injury. And it looks like I wasnít the only one since he didnít get a big deal
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Who knew 22 posts would be considered a consensus opinion. ����**♂️����**♂️


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Totally. The problem with that post is pretty much the problem with the US currently. A few people say one thing and all of a sudden it's the entire group. Lol
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-13-2018 at 06:01 PM.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's crazy people were saying we had to keep Cousins even at the max. I remember people calling it a no-brainer. We don't offer Boogie a deal after free agency opened up resulting in him leaving and now it's no big deal. This place is so wishy washy.
    I don't think it's wishy washy, the logic is just "How can I convince myself the Pels are on the right track no matter what". Occasional 'Dell sucks for doing this', 'Monty sucks for doing that', or 'X player is ruining our team' aside from those occasional moments, and especially in the offseason, it's an echo chamber of warranted and unwarranted blind Pels optimism who get upset whenever a dissenting opinion's stated, no matter how reasonable it may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

    @Jabberwalker

  7. #32
    I would answer the OP question but then my optimism wouldn't be so quiet...

  8. #33
    Not sure the team has replaced the leadership and experience of Rondo and the edge and toughness of Cousins.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    Not sure the team has replaced the leadership and experience of Rondo and the edge and toughness of Cousins.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    I do think Randle replaces that edge and toughness of Cousins. He fights in the paint and even at only playing 27 minutes a game he drew the 10th most FTs per game.

  10. #35
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    12,757
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    Not sure the team has replaced the leadership and experience of Rondo and the edge and toughness of Cousins.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Of this statement Iím only worried about replacing the leadership from rondo.

  11. #36
    Iím optimistic that this team will be at the least fun to watch. We will dictate the pace of the game and tire teams out. I think we just need to get another guard and wing that are solid at the fast break three.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Iím optimistic that this team will be at the least fun to watch. We will dictate the pace of the game and tire teams out. I think we just need to get another guard and wing that are solid at the fast break three.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Jackson could stay not injured I really think he would be awesome for our style of play.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If Jackson could stay not injured I really think he would be awesome for our style of play.
    This. He is completely suited for our offense

  14. #39
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    1,839
    It's still early but I think we will be the Houston of last season and be a top 4 team with this fast pace team if healthy ......again it's early and you don't see a lot of doom and gloom on the board around this time like past seasons.......I don't see a player in a 10 man rotation that will hold the ball and slow the offense down..it's all ball movement and run and gun......gentry finally may have the team he wanted or a player or two away from it........

    It look like football season and the first half of basketball season will be very exciting down here this year....

  15. #40
    Rookie WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    147
    Meh! I'm like warm but am just an average run-of-the-mill basketball fan. Losing Cousins and Rondo so easily hurts more than signing Randall and Payton. But thats just emotion I guess. I just dont know enough about them. I will say this: this franchise can not take a step back into tank mode this season. The fanbase is probably more like me. We start wollering around 10th, 11th or 12th and there will be no interest at all. Despite how strategic it may be. Long-term tanking can work in Philly and Chicago because by default they will still sell out their arenas with people in the seats. Here, not so much. Curious to see how this pans out.
    Thanks Pelicans Report - I get a laugh or three every day reading this thing. Hoping the magic returns to the SKC soon.


    Help Us, Help Them...

  16. #41
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,360
    Something is telling me that we will be even better with Randle. Still have no clue about Elfrid. But I have a strange feeling cousins won’t bounce back to his old self for some reason. Maybe karma is the reason or I think pure laziness
    I'm a grinder

  17. #42
    I can understand how people think we aren't contenders. I think we're top four. So I can even understand people thinking we're at the 7th or 8th seed. I disagree with it but I can see it. I have no clue how someone thinks we're near tank mode.

    And anytime we factor in Cousins leaving as a comparison to what we've lost, you have to factor in Niko to that equation since we got him after Cousins slowed down his last play for us.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    ......and even at only playing 27 minutes a game he drew the 10th most FTs per game.
    Now that's an interesting factoid. Will be intriguing to see if that holds in NOLA.

  18. #43
    Rookie WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I can understand how people think we aren't contenders. I think we're top four. So I can even understand people thinking we're at the 7th or 8th seed. I disagree with it but I can see it. I have no clue how someone thinks we're near tank mode.

    And anytime we factor in Cousins leaving as a comparison to what we've lost, you have to factor in Niko to that equation since we got him after Cousins slowed down his last play for us.




    Now that's an interesting factoid. Will be intriguing to see if that holds in NOLA.
    I would agree. But Joe Fan on the Street only knows that we lost Boogie and Rondo and we were doing pretty well with them. Boogie being down helps the sting of losing him. If he comes back by Christmas and plays well it will crush our souls. Doubt it though. Just no way. I'm also peeved we invested so much emotion in him. But thats Pro sports I guess. Playoff Rondo couldnt get us past GS so maybe his luster is fading, but trying to sell us that the two new guys are what we need is wishful thinking. I have a feeling the SKC Will be moderately buzzing at first But we start off 15-15 and the stands are going to look pretty thin. Again, I am moderately excited about Randall anyway and love Nikko and Jrue. Of couse AD as well.

    It'd be great if we could pick up somebody in a trade we didnt see coming. Dont know how that can happen though. But I've digressed.

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I would agree. But Joe Fan on the Street only knows that we lost Boogie and Rondo and we were doing pretty well with them. Boogie being down helps the sting of losing him. If he comes back by Christmas and plays well it will crush our souls. Doubt it though. Just no way. I'm also peeved we invested so much emotion in him. But thats Pro sports I guess. Playoff Rondo couldnt get us past GS so maybe his luster is fading, but trying to sell us that the two new guys are what we need is wishful thinking. I have a feeling the SKC Will be moderately buzzing at first But we start off 15-15 and the stands are going to look pretty thin. Again, I am moderately excited about Randall anyway and love Nikko and Jrue. Of couse AD as well.

    It'd be great if we could pick up somebody in a trade we didnt see coming. Dont know how that can happen though. But I've digressed.
    For me, I'd take starting off 10-4 and be pretty pleased with it.

    "Kahwi Leonard will be a Pelican. Please make me a signature." - Silverfoxx

  20. #45
    I can see that part but I disagree. I think Boogie looked like a punk leaving. The average joe dislikes that chicken move. And Louisianans are the type of stubborn lot that gets galvanized around that. Heck, most of them probably weren't even paying attention to the team until Boogie had been hurt for an least a month.

  21. #46
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kaplan, LA
    Posts
    1,581
    It’s hard to see losing a big name player and being better. People will see that we’ll be better and more exciting to watch and if we get Hood, our starting lineup would be legit. Hopefully it doesn’t cost a lot and we can still make a big move at the trade deadline.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I can see that part but I disagree. I think Boogie looked like a punk leaving. The average joe dislikes that chicken move. And Louisianans are the type of stubborn lot that gets galvanized around that. Heck, most of them probably weren't even paying attention to the team until Boogie had been hurt for an least a month.
    I would venture to say that->'Boogie will be BOOED vociferously when he comes to the SKC. New Orleans loves AD- Boogie Punked AD (AD wore The Big Weasels jersey at All-Star Game). Then he Punked Dell about lying over a contract offer. Rondo left for Money-- No Problem. Boogie left to be a Ring Beatch .

  23. #48
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kaplan, LA
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I would venture to say that->'Boogie will be BOOED vociferously when he comes to the SKC. New Orleans loves AD- Boogie Punked AD (AD wore The Big Weasels jersey at All-Star Game). Then he Punked Dell about lying over a contract offer. Rondo left for Money-- No Problem. Boogie left to be a Ring Beatch .
    True pelican fans know the deal. It’s the band wagoners or the people that don’t watch pels games that will say we messed up.

  24. #49
    The Franchise tthier2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    True pelican fans know the deal. Itís the band wagoners or the people that donít watch pels games that will say we messed up.
    Definitely. Iím in the camp that the front office did exactly what they should have done. Boogie moves just pisses me off because we invested so much to get him. Buddy isnít a superstar but he is becoming a consistent shooter and he loved it here. New Orleans is the type of place where if you love us we love you back and all that loyalty bs, EVERYBODY was behind boogie. Then he turned and stuck us the middle finger because he is emotional. Itís hard to get over that plus he was a superstar

  25. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I don't think it's wishy washy, the logic is just "How can I convince myself the Pels are on the right track no matter what". Occasional 'Dell sucks for doing this', 'Monty sucks for doing that', or 'X player is ruining our team' aside from those occasional moments, and especially in the offseason, it's an echo chamber of warranted and unwarranted blind Pels optimism who get upset whenever a dissenting opinion's stated, no matter how reasonable it may be.
    At this point I get it.

    That point aside there's a lot of potential with this roster. Davis will have to buy into being the 5. But if Moore, Miller, and Clark can continue shooting the 3 ball like they did towards the end of the season. Randle can continue his play. If Holiday can stay healthy and play at that same level next year. We have the modern NBA team. And this isn't considering that Hill can give us anything.

    I can see anywhere from 4 to 9.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-15-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •