Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let’s Talk Bluiett

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Let’s Talk Bluiett

On Above the Rim today, Joel said that the Pels have already started talks with Bluiett about a two way deal.

FWIW, Legler thinks Bluiett has chance to carve out a long career in the league. Thinks he can do some things off the bounce and with his shooting that would look good next to AD and Jrue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueitt has shown some real flashes. Obviously there are doubts as to how his game would work when confronted with real NBA defenders, but his shot is legitimate, he's shown some real offensive craftiness, and has had multiple moments where he's recognised the defensive closeout and taken someone off the dribble, either into the midrange or a floater.

He does have real potential, and I'm glad we're open to giving him the shot.
    Basketball.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think he will fit in nicely here.

Why wasn’t he drafted? What are his shortcomings?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He's not very athletic so he will struggle defensively. I like his offensive game and hope he can continue hitting from long range.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Pros:

Good shooter from all over the floor

Fairly good scorer off the dribble

Can post up smaller players

Very good free throw shooter

Prolific scorer that can put up points at will

Good playmaker

Moves fairly well off the ball on offense

Fairly good rebounder

Above average athlete

Smart player that has a good feel for the game

Cons:

Streaky shooter

Lacks an elite first step off the dribble

Can be careless on offense, which can lead to turnovers

May struggle to guard more athletic players

Does not collect enough steals or blocks

Plays in a zone defensive scheme

Not overly explosive

Has an arrest record

Old for a draft prospect, may have limited upside

I'm definitely getting a Khris Middleton vibe from him as far as game and athleticism.

I imagine he didn't get drafted because his 6'5". Middleton is 6'8" so he can get away with a lack of athleticism.

I think he has a lot of potential in this offense and if he is used intelligently. I just think he has some physical limitations that put a ceiling on what kind of player he can be.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I think it's cool that Joel has become sort of an insider to the team now. Usually announcers don't have that luxury.

I'm all for signing Blueitt. Even if it's for a one way deal. I see skills in him, and when you can shoot like he does, you can write your own ticket.

I'll tell you who he reminds me of a little, that's Kyle Korver.

Like Korver, his main skills are his shooting, and IQ. His athleticism is subpar, and his defense suffers as a result, resulting in relatively mediocre one on one defense but fairly solid team defense. Moves very well off the ball, and knows how to take off screens properly, which is an underrated skill. Passes willingly, and is willing to take a few steps in for a cleaner inside shot if the close out is hard at the 3pt line.

Korver is 6'8 though, so his size mitigates some of the problems that a lack of explosion and defensive capacity brings, whereas Blueitt is only 6'5. And of course, Korver is one of the greatest shooters to ever lace them up, whereas we've yet to see anything like that consistency from Blueitt. I like him though, he's definitely worth the look.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Championship!

Good for him, congrats!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Super happy for him.

Given that he's not a special athelete at all, he's going to need to absorb the game mentally rapidly.

Anthony Morrow ver 2.0!

And I’ll take that if it comes to fruition!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Anthony Morrow ver 2.0!

And I’ll take that if it comes to fruition!!
    Yeah me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Yeah me too.
    Me three.

Also me, Anthony Morrow 2.0 please

Any idea on who is going to fill the second 2-way slot?

I would assume we leave it open for awhile until someone we have interest in becomes available. No need to rush and fill it right now. They might even wait until into the season.

Do they have an age limit or if they have played a few season limit on those guys?

Cause if not, no one signs these guys, and they are willing to play some in the G league instead of overseas. I wouldn’t mind bringing in Shabazz Muhammad, Jan Vesely, Noah Vonleh, Jordan Mickey, Julyan Stone, Damion Lee, or maybe even Jahlil Okafor. I know a few of them, if not all of them will get signed, but if not I’ll take one of those guys lol.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-15-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Do they have an age limit or if they have played a few season limit on those guys?

Cause if not, no one signs these guys, and they are willing to play some in the G league instead of overseas. I wouldn’t mind bringing in Shabazz Muhammad, Jan Vesely, Noah Vonleh, Jordan Mickey, Julyan Stone, Damion Lee, or maybe even Jahlil Okafor. I know a few of them, if not all of them will get signed, but if not I’ll take one of those guys lol.
    I remember looking at it last summer league, believe it is 4 years or under of NBA service to be eligible for a 2 way.

From this group maybe Stone and Mickey might be available. Lee signed in GSW.
    Vesely is God in Europe. With multiyear deal around $4M. While declining contract offers from NBA.
    You think he will agree for a two-way for 80k?

Have respect to players playing outside US.
    They are playing for at least 200k (mostly around 500k-1.5M) in Europe. They wont come to play two-way without PT.

Vesely declined more than 10 contract offers in the last two years.
    Even Dell offered him a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Vesely declined more than 10 contract offers in the last two years.
    Even Dell offered him a contract.
    How you know this?

Thread Information