Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gentry doesn't seem to happy about Boogie being gone, said AD wanted him back

Gentry doesn't seem to happy about Boogie being gone, said AD wanted him back

Gentry seemed very unsettled in this interview. Even said coaches aren't always privy to these kind of moves, insinuating he was expecting Cousins back. He also said those rumors about AD not wanting Boogie back couldn't be further from the truth. He didn't seem to excited about Randle. Also said he was a last minute signing, so it's not like we targeted him from the beginning of summer, at least from a coaches standpoint.

Are we under selling this loss? Could it be more catastrophic than were thinking? Boogie was putting up historic numbers, 40/20/10 games. And it doesnt seem he was a locker room problem if none of the team seem happy about it, Cheick was pretty upset in his first interview after finding out as well. Did our front office drop the ball on this? 25/13/5 guy and they dont even schedule a meeting?

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/video/t...gentry-2172978
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 07-10-2018 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Gentry seemed very unsettled in this interview. Even said coaches aren't always privy to these kind of moves, insinuating he was expecting Cousins back. He also said those rumors about AD not wanting Boogie back couldn't be further from the truth. He didn't seem to excited about Randle. Also said he was a last minute signing, so it's not like we targeted him from the beginning of summer, at least from a coaches standpoint.

Are we under selling this loss? Could it be more catastrophic than were thinking? Boogie was putting up historic numbers, 40/20/10 games. And it doesnt seem he was a locker room problem if none of the team seem happy about it, Cheick was pretty upset in his first interview after finding out as well. Did our front office drop the ball on this? 25/13/5 guy and they dont even schedule a meeting?

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/video/t...gentry-2172978
    From what I have understand, they didn't targeted Randle at the beginning of the summer because they didn't think that he would become available but as soon as he did they went on to recruit him with the help of AD

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    That's not the impression I got at all. I don't know how you perceive it that he was unsettled or unhappy about Boogie leaving or not excited about Randle. Interesting how people can read into things like that.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    You really think there was no meeting scheduled or offer given?

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    That's not the impression I got at all. I don't know how you perceive it that he was unsettled or unhappy about Boogie leaving or not excited about Randle. Interesting how people can read into things like that.
    Because when they asked how he felt about Boogie, he went on to say how well we were playing before he went down, how many mismatches he created for us, how AD wanted him back and how he is the best player at his position in the league. Doesn't seem like someone a coach would want to lose. Idk I could be reading too far into it

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    You really think there was no meeting scheduled or offer given?
    It was reported at Midnight that we gave him a call. This is a superstar player, and there wasnt a meeting scheduled at midnight? We signed Elfrid Payton before meeting with Boogie, that's pretty disrespectful.

Edit: I feel like if you're going to ask a superstar to take a paycut because of his injury, you got a much better chance at success doing it face to face.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 07-10-2018 at 08:15 AM.

It was reported at Midnight that we gave him a call. This is a superstar player, and there wasnt a meeting scheduled at midnight? We signed Elfrid Payton before meeting with Boogie, that's pretty disrespectful.

Edit: I feel like if you're going to ask a superstar to take a paycut because of his injury, you got a much better chance at success doing it face to face.
    There was a meeting during the season, long before midnight of free agency.

BTW don't for a single second think that AD isn't a part of the decisions we make like signings. I heard he heavily recruited Randle to come here and he is happy to have him.

There was a meeting during the season, long before midnight of free agency.
    Just seems like deja vu. This was the same way we alienated Eric Gordon, we gave him an offer during the season, he didnt accept. Free agency comes and we dont set up a meeting, just a phone call. This is not the way you handle star players. Boogie should've gotten a meeting. I'm sure CP and PG were probably offered extensions during the seasons, they still got meetings and were kept in frequent contact with.

BTW don't for a single second think that AD isn't a part of the decisions we make like signings. I heard he heavily recruited Randle to come here and he is happy to have him.
    Yeah probably after Boogie told him he wasnt coming back. Had to get someone. I'm sure he's happy to have Randle, he could be a great fit. But doesn't mean he didn't want Boogie back

After Boogie declined that 2/$40M contract, it was over. Can’t wait til we start looking forward to Julius.

PS - Screw eric gordon.
    RIP FlyGirl

Yeah probably after Boogie told him he wasnt coming back. Had to get someone. I'm sure he's happy to have Randle, he could be a great fit. But doesn't mean he didn't want Boogie back
    No one is arguing that lol

Did our front office drop the ball on this? 25/13/5 guy and they dont even schedule a meeting?
    From what I read the Pels offered that 40 mil over 2 years. DC felt "disrespected", but the organization had to be smart about this. They couldn't offer a max contract because of the injury, and they couldn't risk it financially.

So DC figured he'd go out and see what he was worth. No team would pony up the big contract that he wanted, and by that time the Pels pulled the $40 mill offer off the table because of the market. Pels did schedule a meeting but that meeting never happened. I don't know for sure but its been reported that both sides communicated, and the Pels gave DC's camp a number (have no idea what that number was), but by then DC was over the Pels.

They said DC called around (reportedly he called the Lakers) and GS accepted his offer to play for the MLE. So I'd say the Pelicans did everything they could within reason to bring him back. I don't blame them for not offering the max. That Achilles is a serious injury and not many players in ANY sport had become "the player they were" after blowing their Achilles.

How do you know we didn't try to do a meeting at midnight and Cousins refused? Will Guillory the writer for the Pels when asked why we didn't setup a meeting with Cousins basically said just this, "It takes two sides to meet."

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/sta...958983169?s=19
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-10-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Because when they asked how he felt about Boogie, he went on to say how well we were playing before he went down, how many mismatches he created for us, how AD wanted him back and how he is the best player at his position in the league. Doesn't seem like someone a coach would want to lose. Idk I could be reading too far into it
    I think Gentry is a classy guy and will talk anyone up. But you’re right that he gave a lot of praise to Boogie. I still don’t think the way he spoke and gestured with both what he said and body language gave me any impression that he was unsettled or unhappy. It also seemed like he was excited about Randle and Payton to me. But I could also be looking into it too much.

Not disrespectful at all. He was not a free agent from another team. He was under contract with the Pelicans and therefore could meet at any time (did not have to wait for a symbolic meeting at midnight). I did get the feeling that Gentry was not keen on losing Cousins (or Rondo) and even said something to the effect of coaches not having the power to make those decisions. However, he did sound excited about Randle.

There's still a chance that Boogie can come back after this season. So yeah... Gentry gave all the praise in the world to him let's not burn that bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    There's still a chance that Boogie can come back after this season. So yeah... Gentry gave all the praise in the world to him let's not burn that bridge.
    I have a feeling he's going to LA and going to try to lure AD to go with him.

What exactly did you expect him to say?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

All of you guys could be right. But there's not a snowball's chance in hell it's because of anything Gentry said. That is absolute coach-speak. Nothing more- nothing less

I have a feeling he's going to LA and going to try to lure AD to go with him.
    That lux tax number would be crazy. But they can afford it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    My read of the situation is everyone wanted Cousins back. But Cousins was the one who only wanted to come back for a set amount of money. When he walked away from the $20 mil a year deal, we probably said "Alright, see what you can find out there." So we "pulled" our offer from before.

Cousins's camp put out talk of the Mavs and Lakers being interested. But they were more worried about his achilles than he liked, so they went in other directions or offered him WAY less than he wanted.

So rather than swallow his pride, realize we were right about what his value would be on the open market, like a vindictive, petulant child, Cousins said, "Fine! You guys don't wanna pay a real offer, I'll go rehab in Golden State and win a ring then shake it in all your faces then sign a real deal next year!"

And I'd highly, highly doubt Cousins would come back. Even if my idea of what happened is totally wrong. We'd need to pay the highest possible max.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    My read of the situation is everyone wanted Cousins back. But Cousins was the one who only wanted to come back for a set amount of money. When he walked away from the $20 mil a year deal, we probably said "Alright, see what you can find out there." So we "pulled" our offer from before.

Cousins's camp put out talk of the Mavs and Lakers being interested. But they were more worried about his achilles than he liked, so they went in other directions or offered him WAY less than he wanted.

So rather than swallow his pride, realize we were right about what his value would be on the open market, like a vindictive, petulant child, Cousins said, "Fine! You guys don't wanna pay a real offer, I'll go rehab in Golden State and win a ring then shake it in all your faces then sign a real deal next year!"

And I'd highly, highly doubt Cousins would come back. Even if my idea of what happened is totally wrong. We'd need to pay the highest possible max.
    I agree with this. I honestly am not a fan of Dell, but I think all the blame is on Cousins camp on this one. He handled the whole situation wrong, and instead of swallowing his pride he got butthurt. I think Cousins is a good player, but how he acted during our playoff run and did not attempt to make a lot of the games told me he was more about himself than the team. Good riddance lets save cap space and offer max to Klay Thompson. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

This seems pretty realistic.

I do wonder what his market will be next year. If the Lakers pass or get Kwahi instead what teams have the space to throw a max offer & need a center?

Let it go! Boogie dipped and we got Randle to replace him. It is what it is.

Thread Information