Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Schröder???

Rumor Dennis Schröder???

I don’t understand. He is basically the same exact player as Elfrid Payton except shoots more and is less efficient. They are both terrible on defense, but Schröder is actually worse. If you lookup a player comparison between Schröder and Payton you will see exqctly what I’m talking about. Here is a link:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players

On top of making 15.5 mill per year for the next 3 years, Schröder is also potentially facing a felony charge for some bar fight. Also, I’ve read he is thought of poorly in the locker room.

I wouldn’t want this guy even if it took a bunch of unwanted salary off our hands. I definitely don’t want to give up any potential assets.

Am I missing something? Can someone please explain why anyone, NOLA included, would want this guy? I genuinely would like to understand this if someone knows something I don’t.

Link?

EP is good defensively. I don’t get why Nola would want DS though, I’m not a fan of score first guards who are inefficient

Fletcher Mackel reported it

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-ru...nnis-schroder/

The New Orleans Pelicans have “had discussions” about acquiring Atlanta Hawks point guard Dennis Schroder in a trade, according to NBC Sports anchor Fletcher Mackel.
    http://syndication.bleacherreport.co...roder.amp.html

Hawks are tanking and desperate to get rid of him too because of adding Trae Young and the legal issues. Considering that, there’s no asking price they just want him gone. Perfect opportunity for us to swap/dump Hill/AA salaries to make the trade happen. At least Schröder produces on his 15 mil/yr salary.

Schröder’s only 25 and scored over 17.9 ppg in each of the last 2 seasons, something we need by any means. I think he has room to improve his shooting efficiency with the right supporting cast and coaching. We can use Schröder as a trade chip down the line as long as he maintain production

Schröder initiated contact in the 4vs1 fight he’s facing felony assault charge for, but hopefully as long as he isn’t proven to be the one who seriously injured the person then I don’t think he’ll be convicted of prison time. I think it was his first arrest. We’d have a lethal scoring Guard and strong backcourt depth again if he isn’t convicted, but if he is then at least we got rid of our bad contracts in the trade
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 07-06-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post

Hawks are tanking and desperate to get rid of him too because of adding Trae Young and the legal issues. Considering that, there’s no asking price they just want him gone. Perfect opportunity for us to swap/dump Hill/AA salaries to make the trade happen. At least Schröder produces on his 15 mil/yr salary.

Schröder’s only 25 and scored over 17.9 ppg in each of the last 2 seasons, something we need by any means. I think he has room to improve his shooting efficiency with the right supporting cast and coaching. We can use Schröder as a trade chip down the line as long as he maintain production

Schröder initiated contact in the 4vs1 fight he’s facing felony assault charge for, but hopefully as long as he isn’t proven to be the one who seriously injured the person then I don’t think he’ll be convicted of prison time. I think it was his first arrest. We’d have a lethal scoring Guard and strong backcourt depth again if he isn’t convicted, but if he is then at least we got rid of our bad contracts in the trade

What??

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post

If we trade for him and he end up going to jail, then we would end up getting rid of 18 mill in bad contracts just to bring in 15.5 mill in absolute dead money. I would rather have bill for 2 years contributing off the bench than Schröder for 3 years while he sits in jail.

I just don’t see the upside. I don’t think we “need by any means” a 15-20 point scoring guard. I think we need someone who can operate the offense and be efficient from that position. We already have 4 players that average at least 15 points, and this guy just seems to be a slightly more consistent player than Elfrid Payton. I would want picks back from the hawks to take him.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    They only thing I got out of this post was that Payton is terrible defeisively.......what?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    They only thing I got out of this post was that Payton is terrible defeisively.......what?
    Yeah saw that too. Do.Not.Agree

Edit: Then I read this: https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2018/0...trous-defense/

Elfrid Payton is not a good defender, and few would argue otherwise. But the impact of his struggles reaches even farther than one might expect.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 07-06-2018 at 08:32 AM.

The Franchise
    Not a fan of Schroder but if he comes I'll root for him. I'm hoping they spend their money on kemba and butler or kawhi. Dump the bad contracts and free up as much space for next summer to either keep one of the guys or buy the 3rd Star.

Charlotte is close to LT territory, they have concerns about being able to re-sign Kemba, and they want to shed salary..

This 3 team would work:

NOP:
    Kemba Walker

ATL:
    Nicolas Batum
    Alexis Ajinca

Charlotte:
    Etwaun Moore
    Dennis Schroder

We would probably have to send at least a 2nd, or Jackson or Diallo to Atlanta and Charlotte send a 1st for them absorbing Batum..

Atlanta gets picks or young players for their rebuild, Charlotte sheds their worst contract, and gets two good young players, although DS comes with some risk

The Franchise
    I'd call the Spurs and T-wolves and see what they like better Moore, Hill and picks or Batum and picks. Depending which blinks first I offer the house like 3 first round picks and I'd only top 3 protect the last 2. I think people would freak out and I normally love draft picks but Dell works the FA market so just as soon free up as much money as possible. The only thing I'd ask of the new player would be to do a sign and trade after this year if they want to go (hopefully the pull a Paul George and stay). The players keep their bird rights and all the money they were going to make and we get a little back in ways of picks or players.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya2w4jvh

Kemba and Batum should be a wash because of the bad Batum contract and we'll be sending less money (33 to 36) back and expiring contracts (4 Million in expirings plus we could send some money to help buyout Ajinca).

Butler or Kawhi and try to get a couple 2nd back if possible for Batum and 3-firsts.

Kemba, Payton, Jackson
    Jue, Clark
    Butler/Kawhi, Honeycutt
    Davis, Randle
    Mirotic,

can fill the rest of the roster with potential upside Europeans or G-Leaguers

To the people worried about the 1st rounder.
    The 2019 pick should be in the mid 20's so I'm sure nobody would be mad at losing that one. After the season if everyone leaves in 2019 and we get nothing in return the worst case is we buy bad contracts for 1st rounders.
    The 2021 pick could be good if Davis leaves but I'm sure we would trade him and get a butt load for him so losing that pick may hurt a bit if its really high but I think it won't be any better than an end of lottery pick.
    The 2023 pick is too far out to guess but to get off the contracts of Batum or Hill and getting back Butler or Kawhi is worth the risk.
    If Kemba and Butler/Kawhi do sign and trades we would have 3-2020 draft picks if we don't take bad contracts (Which we'll have alot of money because only Davis and Jrue will be on the books) for 1sts.
    Hypothetically Kemba wants to go to the Knicks. We could probably get Ntilikina and pick
    Kawhi wants to go the Laker we could maybe get Kuzma and a pick
    Butler to Boston or wherever Kyrie goes and get a pick and maybe Rozier

I just see alot of options if we make a big move now and I see it as a win win.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    That dude is a super scrappy competitor. Dumping Hill to acquire Schroder is a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    That dude is a super scrappy competitor. Dumping Hill to acquire Schroder is a no brainer to me.
    The problem is that Schroder actually makes more than Hill.

Schroder has 15.5 for the next 3 years

Hill has 12.2 this year and 12.7 for the next.

If we are going to replace and expensive player that doesn't fit in Hill then I'd rather not replace him with a more expensive player who doesn't fit and has a longer contract.
    c
    The fact that Fletcher Mackel reported it guarantees it will not happen. They might has had conversations about it, but they have had tons of those types of conversations about a bunch of players on bad contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I'd call the Spurs and T-wolves and see what they like better Moore, Hill and picks or Batum and picks. Depending which blinks first I offer the house like 3 first round picks and I'd only top 3 protect the last 2. I think people would freak out and I normally love draft picks but Dell works the FA market so just as soon free up as much money as possible. The only thing I'd ask of the new player would be to do a sign and trade after this year if they want to go (hopefully the pull a Paul George and stay). The players keep their bird rights and all the money they were going to make and we get a little back in ways of picks or players.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ya2w4jvh

Kemba and Batum should be a wash because of the bad Batum contract and we'll be sending less money (33 to 36) back and expiring contracts (4 Million in expirings plus we could send some money to help buyout Ajinca).

Butler or Kawhi and try to get a couple 2nd back if possible for Batum and 3-firsts.

Kemba, Payton, Jackson
    Jue, Clark
    Butler/Kawhi, Honeycutt
    Davis, Randle
    Mirotic,

can fill the rest of the roster with potential upside Europeans or G-Leaguers

To the people worried about the 1st rounder.
    The 2019 pick should be in the mid 20's so I'm sure nobody would be mad at losing that one. After the season if everyone leaves in 2019 and we get nothing in return the worst case is we buy bad contracts for 1st rounders.
    The 2021 pick could be good if Davis leaves but I'm sure we would trade him and get a butt load for him so losing that pick may hurt a bit if its really high but I think it won't be any better than an end of lottery pick.
    The 2023 pick is too far out to guess but to get off the contracts of Batum or Hill and getting back Butler or Kawhi is worth the risk.
    If Kemba and Butler/Kawhi do sign and trades we would have 3-2020 draft picks if we don't take bad contracts (Which we'll have alot of money because only Davis and Jrue will be on the books) for 1sts.
    Hypothetically Kemba wants to go to the Knicks. We could probably get Ntilikina and pick
    Kawhi wants to go the Laker we could maybe get Kuzma and a pick
    Butler to Boston or wherever Kyrie goes and get a pick and maybe Rozier

I just see alot of options if we make a big move now and I see it as a win win.
    I am going to waste my time and reply to this.

So in your scenario we somehow get Kemba Walker AND Kawhi by trading bad contracts and 3 first round picks?!

Then we trade those guys to the Knicks and Lakers respectively, even though the would be able to just sign those guys outright, for their picks and young assets.

And we don't have to give up Mirotic, who is basically our only good, moveable asset.

I mean, dude. Why even post this?

If we are able to get rid of Hill for Schroeder and not give up any assets then I absolutely do it. People are under rating him big time. He’s young and only getting better while he would have a big like AD who would probably add atleast 2 easy assists a game. By just basically swapping salaries we would still have our assets and the same amount of cap room to go acquire a SF. Perfect system along with players that compliment his game all while naturally improving as he enters the prime of his career at 24 years old.

Atlanta would have to come off some assets for me to want to even think about taking Schroder. I'd probably only do it for Prince. Next season Solomon is expiring and will be a lot easier to move.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post
    I am going to waste my time and reply to this.

So in your scenario we somehow get Kemba Walker AND Kawhi by trading bad contracts and 3 first round picks?!

Then we trade those guys to the Knicks and Lakers respectively, even though the would be able to just sign those guys outright, for their picks and young assets.

And we don't have to give up Mirotic, who is basically our only good, moveable asset.

I mean, dude. Why even post this?
    Your more than welcome to not agree but you have to agree that you’ve seen moves by gms that don’t make sense. The other question you should ask yourself is what are teams motives for moving players?

Kemba would only be moved for picks OR to move bad contracts? Kawhi is known to want out of San Antonio and they’d would want something in return. Butler is the new rumor of not wanting to play with Kat and also wanting to play with Kyrie. I’m sure the t-wolves would move Butler before Kat but you never know.

I broke it down into 3 separate parts explaining the logic of each move. 3 first round picks aren’t enough for Kawhi or Butler? Taking on Batum to get kemba isn’t enough? I also said sign and trades would be nice but worst case we clear all cap space minus Jrue and Davis.

I’d be more than welcome to hear your ideas for making the team better and really showing Davis how far you’ll go to put good players around him.

Your more than welcome to not agree but you have to agree that you’ve seen moves by gms that don’t make sense. The other question you should ask yourself is what are teams motives for moving players?

Kemba would only be moved for picks OR to move bad contracts? Kawhi is known to want out of San Antonio and they’d would want something in return. Butler is the new rumor of not wanting to play with Kat and also wanting to play with Kyrie. I’m sure the t-wolves would move Butler before Kat but you never know.

I broke it down into 3 separate parts explaining the logic of each move. 3 first round picks aren’t enough for Kawhi or Butler? Taking on Batum to get kemba isn’t enough? I also said sign and trades would be nice but worst case we clear all cap space minus Jrue and Davis.

I’d be more than welcome to hear your ideas for making the team better and really showing Davis how far you’ll go to put good players around him.

The problem is none of your logic makes any sense. None at all. 3 1st for Kawhi or Butler is not enough unless they are all top 10 pics. Both of those teams have time and leverage to sit on the player, maybe that would be close for one of them if no other teams were interested. Unfortunately, there are 28 other teams who would do what you wrote down if it were feasible.

I’m not trying to poke fun at you. That was just a ridiculous proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I don’t know where that comes from. When I watch him play I see a lot of lazy/loose play on the defensive side of the ball, and he isn’t a very aggressive rebounder. Can you please explain why you think he is scrappy?

I really am trying to understand why people like this player at all. I feel like they see his age and scoring output and conclude on his value. It seems to me that him playing on a bad team, with large volume opportunities, has inflated his stats. And the inefficiency in those same stats kind of show that.

Please, more detail.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    The problem is none of your logic makes any sense. None at all. 3 1st for Kawhi or Butler is not enough unless they are all top 10 pics. Both of those teams have time and leverage to sit on the player, maybe that would be close for one of them if no other teams were interested. Unfortunately, there are 28 other teams who would do what you wrote down if it were feasible.

So your saying the picks they’d get from the lakers or philly would be in the top 10 and is anyone else offering that? Listen if the team these players are on want to hold them that’s fine but the offers are going to go down as the trade deadline approaches and being greedy could net them no assets. Instead of saying I’m preposterous maybe mention what y’all would give up for the players.

FYI only Hill is a bad contract (for 12 million not 20 like Ryno). Moore is a good deal and most everything else is expiring.

The Franchise
    I don’t know where that comes from. When I watch him play I see a lot of lazy/loose play on the defensive side of the ball, and he isn’t a very aggressive rebounder. Can you please explain why you think he is scrappy?

I really am trying to understand why people like this player at all. I feel like they see his age and scoring output and conclude on his value. It seems to me that him playing on a bad team, with large volume opportunities, has inflated his stats. And the inefficiency in those same stats kind of show that.

Please, more detail.
    Well said

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Champ, is this your burner account?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Champ, is this your burner account?
    Oh snap! Lmao

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

So your saying the picks they’d get from the lakers or philly would be in the top 10 and is anyone else offering that? Listen if the team these players are on want to hold them that’s fine but the offers are going to go down as the trade deadline approaches and being greedy could net them no assets. Instead of saying I’m preposterous maybe mention what y’all would give up for the players.

FYI only Hill is a bad contract (for 12 million not 20 like Ryno). Moore is a good deal and most everything else is expiring.

Good point. My thoughts on acquiring A player like Kawhi:

- We can’t!
    - that’s it
    - stop reading

Really, we have no legitimate young players to offer (Diallo is in summer League for the 3rd time and Jackson has played in 1 game), no high lottery pics. Our best assets are 2 relatively young vets on quality contracts (Mirotic & Moore). If we packaged all of that together, it would barely comparison to other teams offers, and we would gut our team. Unless we throw in Holiday, then things get interesting. But not worth it.

Here is the only possible thing that we could put together:
    - Niko Mirotic
    - E’Twaun Moore
    - Frank Jackson
    - Check Diallo
    - 2019 1st
    - 2021 1st (after AD leaves)

And I think that several teams can top that offer. If I was San Antonio, I might rather take the risk that he passes up 30 mill over 4 years, and 80 mill over 5 next than take this offer. I think that butler or Kemba could be had for less, but would still gut the team.

Thread Information