Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Summer League Gameday: MIA vs. Pels

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Where's the Jackson officially out news?

Oh well, it's all about Bluiett now!
    The New Orleans Pelicans announced today that guard Frank Jackson has been diagnosed with a left ankle sprain. An MRI taken today and reviewed by Pelicans Director of Medical Services Dr. Misty Suri confirmed the extent of the injury. Jackson will miss the remainder of the MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2018. The estimated timetable for return is 2-4 weeks

Hoopshype.com

Ughhhh... Hope it doesnt end up where he gets these little injuries like that all his career

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Blueitt was the 4th guy I was most intrigued to see going into summer league. He was one of the top undrafted players. I was hoping to see a 3 guard lineup with him, Jackson, Carr to go with Diallo and Jones. Poor thing Frank got hurt. He’s officially out the rest of summer league which is a bummer. He was the guy I was most interested in seeing. I like what I saw in limited action and coach did as well. Now Blueitt has taken his place. Most thought Blueitt would be drafted, so he was a nice pick up by Demps. We better sign him up and have him at camp. We could use a 2 guard that is 6’5” and we could always use another 3 point shooter in today’s NBA. After two games he might be the best player I’ve seen for us in summer league. Let’s hope he can keep it up and earn a spot on this team!!!

It would be nice if some of that undrafted player luck comes from the Saints to the Pels!! lol
    I just watch the game and Bluitte looks awesome. We need that sharp shooter to open lanes for Davis and Randle. I missed the first game but Jackson and Bluitte running the second unit could be real nice. Makes moving on for Moore a little easier if it happens. Clark and Mirotic would still be first off the bench but these youngsters could be nice and a future piece.

Something to keep in mind with Blueitt is he is a 4th year player that is 23 going against a lot of 19/20 year Olds. Heck Diallo has been in the league going on his 3rd year and he is only 21. That's not a knock but it does add some perspective on his beasting.

As it stands I'd give him a 2 way contract and lock him up so we can see how he plays on the team next year and in G League. I'm not saying he's a fluke or is guaranteed to fail. I just think we need to pump the breaks on him a bit until we see him go against actual NBA competition. He has done what the team has asked him so far though so that's great. I think he is a player that will earn a deal either with us or someone else by the end of summer league.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Something to keep in mind with Blueitt is he is a 4th year player that is 23 going against a lot of 19/20 year Olds. Heck Diallo has been in the league going on his 3rd year and he is only 21. That's not a knock but it does add some perspective on his beasting.

As it stands I'd give him a 2 way contract and lock him up so we can see how he plays on the team next year and in G League. I'm not saying he's a fluke or is guaranteed to fail. I just think we need to pump the breaks on him a bit until we see him go against actual NBA competition. He has done what the team has asked him so far though so that's great. I think he is a player that will earn a deal either with us or someone else by the end of summer league.
    Maybe, but even more experienced guys who are older look like scrubs when they're scrubs. A good example of this is me currently watching the Cavs/Bulls game: Cavs have Okaro White (25 years old, has played in over 40 real NBA games for the Heat), John Holland (29 years old, has been All NBA D-League). So even if you're older and experienced, if you're total trash you still look like trash (they both look trash, for what it's worth).

Obviously you're right, it could be a case of Blueitt just feasting on guys who have no idea how to defend him or what to do when he goes off, but I do think that it kind of neutralises the extent to which you can say that it's just because of the competition (although I know you're not saying that it is just a product of the competition).

I agree with the two way contract, but I also wouldn't be too mad if we just cut Liggins before his contract got guaranteed and signed Blueitt up in his place instead.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Maybe, but even more experienced guys who are older look like scrubs when they're scrubs. A good example of this is me currently watching the Cavs/Bulls game: Cavs have Okaro White (25 years old, has played in over 40 real NBA games for the Heat), John Holland (29 years old, has been All NBA D-League). So even if you're older and experienced, if you're total trash you still look like trash (they both look trash, for what it's worth).

Obviously you're right, it could be a case of Blueitt just feasting on guys who have no idea how to defend him or what to do when he goes off, but I do think that it kind of neutralises the extent to which you can say that it's just because of the competition (although I know you're not saying that it is just a product of the competition).

I agree with the two way contract, but I also wouldn't be too mad if we just cut Liggins before his contract got guaranteed and signed Blueitt up in his place instead.
    Yes if Blueitt had come out and looked like a scrub then that would be a wrap for him most likely. But until we see him against NBA competition we just don't know. It's a good thing he has looked good so far I just don't think we can discount him feasting on younger players.

He is the ideal type of player the 2 way contract was made for. That gets him into our system where we can keep an eye on him and it allows us to evaluate him against NBA players without needing to use up a main roster spot for him. I am a bit weary of using up one of our main 15 on him right now. Not because I want to hang onto Liggins, I think Liggins will either be combined in a trade or cut, but there are actual proven NBA players that I'd still rather use a main roster spot on if I can help it.

Yes if Blueitt had come out and looked like a scrub then that would be a wrap for him most likely. But until we see him against NBA competition we just don't know. It's a good thing he has looked good so far I just don't think we can discount him feasting on younger players.

He is the ideal type of player the 2 way contract was made for. That gets him into our system where we can keep an eye on him and it allows us to evaluate him against NBA players without needing to use up a main roster spot for him. I am a bit weary of using up one of our main 15 on him right now. Not because I want to hang onto Liggins, I think Liggins will either be combined in a trade or cut, but there are actual proven NBA players that I'd still rather use a main roster spot on if I can help it.
    Well sure, there's tons of proven NBA players I'd still use a roster spot on if I could help it. I can't help the haunting feeling that we can't help it though: like our free agency is done, any any trading that happens wouldn't change whether we had Blueitt or Liggins or nobody at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I don’t think that makes much of a difference at all. So was Buddy Hield and all we did was make excuses for him every game. The kid is still a rookie and is making shots that would go down against any competition. I don’t think what he is doing should be discredited by any means cause he is 23 instead of 21. He balled out his last few years in college also. Kid obviously has a great shot and a lot of talent offensively. Most of these guys are not 19-20 years old either. Not many guys leave after their freshman or sophomore year. Majority of the SL is guys that stayed until their senior year and many have been in G-League or other places looking for another opportunity. The majority is players right in his age range not 19-20 years old.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.

I was looking at the free agents and wish we would of added Shabazz Muhammad to our summer league team like we did with James Young. Since he has struggled in the league and is a free agent, he would of probably came play for us. Why not? Doubt he’s getting a ton of calls in free agency. He’s a small forward that at one time was supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft. Then wasn’t as good as people thought he would be at UCLA. He averaged 13.5 points his 2nd year in the league, but hasn’t done much since.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I don’t think that makes much of a difference at all. So was Buddy Hield and all we did was make excuses for him every game. The kid is still a rookie and is making shots that would go down against any competition. I don’t think what he is doing should be discredited by any means cause he is 23 instead of 21. He balled out his last few years in college also. Kid obviously has a great shot and a lot of talent offensively. Most of these guys are not 19-20 years old either. Not many guys leave after their freshman or sophomore year. Majority of the SL is guys that stayed until their senior year and many have been in G-League or other places looking for another opportunity. The majority is players right in his age range not 19-20 years old.
    Look, you can believe whatever you want but we've seen this song and dance before when it comes to summer league and players that looked great and amounted to nothing in the NBA. Until he goes up against NBA competition we don't know what he will be. The hype train on the kid needs to be slowed down until then. He's done great so far and exactly what the team has asked for, but he is still beating up on let's call it, not NBA talent. I've seen all his shots. A lot of them are coming for wide open looks due to bad defense. This won't happen as much in the NBA. What's going to happen when he's going up against players who are almost all athletic freaks? We can't say anything so far about how he will be in the NBA.

That doesn't mean he's bad, that doesn't mean he won't amount to anything, that doesn't mean I hate him as a prospect. It just means we need to slow things down a bit before we buy the farm on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well sure, there's tons of proven NBA players I'd still use a roster spot on if I could help it. I can't help the haunting feeling that we can't help it though: like our free agency is done, any any trading that happens wouldn't change whether we had Blueitt or Liggins or nobody at all. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Our free agency is done? Based on what? Remember how late we added Rondo and Ian last year? The big signings are clearly done. But there's still a lot of guys with a lot of NBA experience that are trying to get more than a minimum contract right now. Once it gets later in free agency they will be more willing to sign into a good situation.

Or maybe it's December 1st and another team has an injury so they have to release a player to bring in another guard and then we are able to use our open roster spot to bring someone in.

There's no need to rush and fill our roster spots 2 days into when people can sign actual contracts in free agency.

Look, you can believe whatever you want but we've seen this song and dance before when it comes to summer league and players that looked great and amounted to nothing in the NBA. Until he goes up against NBA competition we don't know what he will be. The hype train on the kid needs to be slowed down until then. He's done great so far and exactly what the team has asked for, but he is still beating up on let's call it, not NBA talent. I've seen all his shots. A lot of them are coming for wide open looks due to bad defense. This won't happen as much in the NBA. What's going to happen when he's going up against players who are almost all athletic freaks? We can't say anything so far about how he will be in the NBA.

That doesn't mean he's bad, that doesn't mean he won't amount to anything, that doesn't mean I hate him as a prospect. It just means we need to slow things down a bit before we buy the farm on this guy.
    I bet what you are saying but is it’s not like he a big that’s dominating kids in the paint. He’s shooting 12 for 18 from 3 and some shots are contested. That’s impressive no matter who he’s going against. Give the guy a chance you might just find a gem.

Our free agency is done? Based on what? Remember how late we added Rondo and Ian last year? The big signings are clearly done. But there's still a lot of guys with a lot of NBA experience that are trying to get more than a minimum contract right now. Once it gets later in free agency they will be more willing to sign into a good situation.

Or maybe it's December 1st and another team has an injury so they have to release a player to bring in another guard and then we are able to use our open roster spot to bring someone in.

There's no need to rush and fill our roster spots 2 days into when people can sign actual contracts in free agency.
    I didn't say that our free agency is done for sure, I just said that I have a haunting feeling like that's the case. I hope I'm wrong, like I said, but that's just the vibe I get. No evidence, no sources, no contacts, and I'm not claiming any. Just the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I bet what you are saying but is it’s not like he a big that’s dominating kids in the paint. He’s shooting 12 for 18 from 3 and some shots are contested. That’s impressive no matter who he’s going against. Give the guy a chance you might just find a gem.
    No one is saying not to give him a chance. Clearly that was the whole point of bringing him in to summer league. What I'm saying is he needs to take more than 18 3pt shots before we throw him a guaranteed contract like some people are calling for already.

Thread Information