Pelicans Report

Thread: Capela Conundrum !

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Capela Conundrum !

First off- Why is Houston **********footing around with this guy & 2) Nobody else as any interest in this guy ? If Sacramento tried to torpedo The Bulls for Lavine, Man I would love for them or anybody to make Houston push their 20+ million chips on the table.

Yeah it's a little crazy you'd think neither Paul or harden would be happy losing him

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

It's very strange that he's not been picked up
    Basketball.

I would say that the Kings don't need another big man on their roster, but it's the Kings so you never know if they're gonna try to run out a lineup of all centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I would say that the Kings don't need another big man on their roster, but it's the Kings so you never know if they're gonna try to run out a lineup of all centers.
    The Kings weren't the subject of the convo.

The Rockets are cash strapped and Capela is a restricted free agent.

They are probably hoping he takes his qualifying offer so they get him for another year on the cheap. If someone offers him a big deal they will just match it and have less flexibility.

There is really no rush to resign him until after you sign other players to maneuver around the cap.

I was wondering about him and Parker. Restricted Free Agency sucks for people if you do well during the final year of your rookie deal.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post

They are probably hoping he takes his qualifying offer so they get him for another year on the cheap. If someone offers him a big deal they will just match it and have less flexibility.

There is really no rush to resign him until after you sign other players to maneuver around the cap.
    Well, IMHO, not being hyperbolic -> If the Rockets lose Capella & Ariza, the will take a BIG OLE nosedive. You will basically have Houstons version of Portland. Two Guards, with basically nothing else. Their Defense will become Swiss cheese. 50 wins !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Well, IMHO, not being hyperbolic -> If the Rockets lose Capella & Ariza, the will take a BIG OLE nosedive. You will basically have Houstons version of Portland. Two Guards, with basically nothing else. Their Defense will become Swiss cheese. 50 wins !
    I don't disagree. I still think they'd be better than Portland (CP3+Harden > Lillard+McCollum) but there's absolutely no way they'd be the best regular season team anymore, and they're defense would (like you said) become a hell of a lot weaker. Capela was a huge part of them last season, and Ariza was the perfect glue guy for them. To lose both would be damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex23 View Post

You're supposed to let us circle the wagons a few more times before ending the thread.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    You're supposed to let us circle the wagons a few more times before ending the thread.
    Paradox at play here. By responding by stating you want the thread to end, you have paradoxically creates the opposite affect.

Not too many teams that can even offer him a top contract. He may be stuck signing QO or compromising.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not too many teams that can even offer him a top contract. He may be stuck signing QO or compromising.
    Well, we know Sac has the dough. So, make Cap an offer. Make Houston use their chips. If Houston doesn't match, the Pels can try & get Labiesierre from Sac on the cheap

Well, we know Sac has the dough. So, make Cap an offer. Make Houston use their chips. If Houston doesn't match, the Pels can try & get Labiesierre from Sac on the cheap
    Not sure they need another big and may need to create more room (as he likely wants more than Lavine got).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not sure they need another big and may need to create more room (as he likely wants more than Lavine got).
    I keep hearing this "they don't need another big". What BIGbdo they have that is worth more than a coke & bag of chips? Cauley-Stein, Labiessiere,? Not quite sure who they have as a legit big. I wouldn't count a rookie.

if I am the rockets I let him walk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    He wants LaVine money? He can get that from some bottom of the line team, but he's not getting that from Houston.

To me, the real Capela Conundrum is how much more value does Capela have than an average center with his skillset?

Capela is the high end center who gives you rim running, rebounding and rim protection. He is very good at what he does but that is essentially what he brings to the court.

How many more wins, in that system, does he give you than someone like Nerlens Noel. He is certainly better than Noel, but does his worth justify the much larger cap hit that Noel is getting in OKC.

Also, how much worth does Capela have on a different roster than the one in Houston without all of the space. I think teams have had this same conversation.

This is something we need to consider when pairing AD with a big in the future. How much more value does a guy bring than the cheaper options at the position. You could argue that Emeka Okafor had better value that Asik, when he was a lineup regular during their most recent tenures because Oak provided the same skillset at a much cheaper cost.

Clint C. is a younger version of DeAndre Jordan who just got $24M for one year. He isn’t the same caliber of athlete DJ once was, but 18/yr doesn’t sound out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    if I am the rockets I let him walk
    Well, now that Moute & Ariza are El Gone O ! You might wanna re-think your choice!

Where fairies happen Contributor whoah whoah's Avatar
    Its the Chris Paul effect. CP3 can make any big man look incredible. We saw that here with Chandler. So the question remains: is Capela that good or is CP3 making him that much better? The answer is somewhere in the middle....
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3
    you eat so good. you're always gonna eat good. I kid a lot, everything is spicy, the fruit loops even have some kick to em
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    We played pretty good defense. We bottled him [Paul] up, but with eyes in the back of his head, he found David West"

If they add Melo, that could lessen them on both sides of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Blood View Post
    If they add Melo, that could lessen them on both sides of the floor.
    I think Melo making them worse is almost guaranteed if he joins them.

Capela turned down 5y/85m from Houston... so he can he can either sign the QO for 1y/4m, or sign the 5/85. If he plays for 1y/4m this year he'll be eligible for 5y/120m (IIRC). Or maybe 4y/100m. Can't remember. But those are his options.

Thread Information