Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Barnes?

Harrison Barnes?

Been some speculation the Pels we're trying to negotiate a trade for him. I know Alvin is very familiar with him from gsw. Would be a great fit and fill our biggest need. Not excited about his contract but I think he could thrive in our system. Anyone else hearing anything about this and what would you think about the addition.
    Last edited by 23speedkillz; 07-04-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Any links or just your own speculation

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Is this the speculation from a certain someone on another forum?

He's a SF that is actually playable, can hit the 3, and is solid defensively. His contract is fine for the position he plays. Even in a cap starved market Ariza still got a 1/15m. I don't know if the deal gets done but if so it's a solid pickup for us. More than solid. He is a good player that we know can play in our system and fill exactly the role we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's a SF that is actually playable, can hit the 3, and is solid defensively. His contract is fine for the position he plays. Even in a cap starved market Ariza still got a 1/15m. I don't know if the deal gets done but if so it's a solid pickup for us. More than solid. He is a good player that we know can play in our system and fill exactly the role we need.
    I think I would have to agree with you on the salary situation. Skilled 6'8"- 6'9" sf's are not as easy to attain. Great point about Ariza, lol. And Barnes is significantly better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I would like to have him as well. I'm just not sure if it can happen. I'd be happy to see him signed though.

Dallas loves him. He's in his last year of his contract and the Mavs don't want to see him go. I doubt ther's any trade chatter.

I live in DFW and listen to the local sports guys on 105.3 and the Mavs love him on and off the court. Wes Matthews may be the guy to get traded as he's in his last year as well (17 mil I think), but they drafted Doncic and Wes expendable.

I mean, I would love to have him I'm just not sure it is possible.

The only thing we can offer of value would be some combination of Niko, Moore, 1st and 2nd round pics, Hill and Ajinca to fill out salary.

By all accounts, Dallas is trying to make the playoffs now. Dropping a quality SF they are invested in and is also young doesn't really fit that desire to win now.

If they are enamored with Niko and are trying to rid themselves of salary in order to be players in free agency later while also staying competitive now then maybe they would consider it. Who knows though

Apparently in 2016 there was serious talks about using all of our cap room to pursue Barnes so there is obviously interest on our end in him.

Regardless, there is going to be a trade happening at some point (not an insider so this is just speculation on my part.)

Someone I really wanted in FA. Funny thing was I had like 2 people here that agreed he wasn’t “trash” and was going to get better. David Fisher in particular was dead wrong haha. Barnes would be an awesome pickup and imo is a SF version of Jrue Holiday. Adding another player like that who does a little bit of it all is exactly what we need on the wing. He’s up there near the top of my list on wings that are realistic to acquire through trade. IMO he is every bit as valuable as Jimmy Butler would be for us.

Trying to read but Busta's sig is triggering me.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That was always a funny subject for me, Barnes was.

I wasn't sure how good he'd be. But I didn't like the idea that he wasn't good at all.

I'm still not sure about him. I know that he's relatively skilled, I know that he's a proven scorer, and I know that he isn't a total liability on defense (although I think saying he's a SF version of Jrue is a little much). But I just get this feeling that he wouldn't work for us, and I can't point to anything specific to explain why that is.

He's only 25. He's improved his scoring pretty much every year (last two years have been basically 19ppg each time). He's a decent rebounder, though not great. He shoots around 45% from the floor, which isn't amazing but isn't totally awful either. His three point percentage has dropped, which is to be expected because Dallas has fewer people to draw defensive attention and he's taking more shots, but he's still a decent three point shooter and you'd expect to see that return sharing the floor with AD and Jrue. His net rating has been bad for a few years, but I think that's more of a consequence of the team he's on: when he was on Golden State, his net rating was around +2 on average for the four years, while it's been -5 average since joining Dallas. I think that's more of a Dallas thing than a Barnes thing.

His PER is mediocre, his TS% is basically league average, he averages less WS/48 and less total win shares than Randle despite playing more minutes and taking more shots, his VORP over the last two years is literally 0, and he hasn't had a positive BPM for three years.

Somebody sell me on him. I can see he has skills and can definitely score at a pretty good clip, and he's definitely an upgrade, but is he the kind of guy you'd sell the farm over? I really can't decide.
    Basketball.

Where is this speculation coming from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Is this the speculation from a certain someone on another forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    Any links or just your own speculation
    From Tiger Droppings.
    Michael McNamarra

I'd prefer Mo Harkless.
    Wanted him since Orlando released him.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    From Tiger Droppings.
    Michael McNamarra
    Dang. All that hype and it's just amateur speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Somebody sell me on him. I can see he has skills and can definitely score at a pretty good clip, and he's definitely an upgrade, but is he the kind of guy you'd sell the farm over? I really can't decide.
    He's a 6'8 wing that has a wingspan of over 6'11 while shooting 36% from 3 on over 4 attempts per game and grabbing 6 rebounds and 2 assists, again while spending most of his time on the perimeter. He's not on the level of any of the superstar SFs, but one level down he's probably the best of the group. What's holding him back is mainly his Ft rate.

With how hard it is to get a capable SF, and when you look at the fact that the Pelicans won't be able to land any of the top SFs in free agency it makes a lot of sense to try and grab Barnes to have his rights and be able to lock that position up long term.

What thread on tiger droppings looking for it don’t see it ?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Dang. All that hype and it's just amateur speculation.
    With MM, I'm fairly sure it's not speculation anymore. He hit on the midnight meeting with a guard just before we signed Elfrid Payton, for instance. Some people claim he throws things at the wall and hopes they stick...but he's been spot on for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He's a 6'8 wing that has a wingspan of over 6'11 while shooting 36% from 3 on over 4 attempts per game and grabbing 6 rebounds and 2 assists, again while spending most of his time on the perimeter. He's not on the level of any of the superstar SFs, but one level down he's probably the best of the group. What's holding him back is mainly his Ft rate.

With how hard it is to get a capable SF, and when you look at the fact that the Pelicans won't be able to land any of the top SFs in free agency it makes a lot of sense to try and grab Barnes to have his rights and be able to lock that position up long term.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Thanks, I guess I'm looking too closely at advanced stats for a guy that's been on a trash team for years and was a small cog in a big machine before that

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    With MM, I'm fairly sure it's not speculation anymore. He hit on the midnight meeting with a guard just before we signed Elfrid Payton, for instance. Some people claim he throws things at the wall and hopes they stick...but he's been spot on for the most part.
    Hope he’s right I wouldn’t mind Barnes

https://youtu.be/ZhpxL6ssKh8

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    From Tiger Droppings.
    Michael McNamarra
    Actually it wasn't Tiger Droppings. Or MM. The owner of the company I manage is a huge Pels fan, floor seats. And huge LSU fan LSU grad played baseball for them in early 80s. Started the company from the contract he earned playing MLB. His daughter has a mid level position in the organization. Doubt she has that kind of information but his connections landed her the position so I'm sure he rubs elbows with someone. Long story short our daily morning managers meetings often turn into LSU, Pels and Saints talk and he mentioned it when another employee was venting about Boogie. So if MM also mentioned it I might be inclined to think they are interested not that anything would transpire from it. But I know they were interested in the past and Alvin is familiar with him.
    Last edited by 23speedkillz; 07-04-2018 at 10:34 PM.

I don’t think it’s a little much to say he’s a SF version of Jrue at all. He’s only 25 years old and put up better numbers then Jrue at that age. This season he had almost an identical year as Jrue just at the SF position. He’s not as good of a defender but he is no slouch in that side of the ball. He is just entering the prime of his career and has continually improved each year. I would put him in the same category as Gordon Hayward. He would be a huge upgrade for this team and likely better then anyone we have a shot at. He is definitely in that top 5 group of wings I would want that we have a realistic shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    https://youtu.be/ZhpxL6ssKh8

Yea don’t see how anyone could be against getting a 25 year old SF who does a little bit of it all. Just look a these highlights and imagine having that along with Randle in the playoffs last year. That’s a team that can beat anybody outside of GS. If people want Butler then they should want Barnes as well. Not much if anything separates the 2.

Personally I think the Mavs would be foolish to move him because they actually have something really nice they are building. Smith Jr/Doncic/Barnes/Dirk/DJ is a very solid starting group with potential to be very good. They are built to be good for a long time if they can find another scoring big man to replace Dirk. I would think they would be trying to win now after signing DJ to 1 year and in what could be Dirks last year. Moving Barnes does not help that but I guess we will see.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information