Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where Do We Stand?

It's going to take 2 firsts

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    It's going to take 2 firsts
    I would never give up 2 first round picks for a non all star level player.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Jules could be a star here, or he could be Terrance Jones, it really is all about who comes to play.
    this is so true it hurts.

As much as I would love to get Jimmy Butler but it’s probably a pipe dream. Honestly, we really won’t know how we actually stack up until like around late August. Until then I hope we add a wing that can shoot and spread the floor. It would be awesome if we can parlay Hill and Ajinca for one.

Where Do We Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    As much as I would love to get Jimmy Butler but it’s probably a pipe dream. Honestly, we really won’t know how we actually stack up until like around late August. Until then I hope we add a wing that can shoot and spread the floor. It would be awesome if we can parlay Hill and Ajinca for one.
    Maybe not. We would have to give up Niko, Moore, and first but it could be done. That means we are going all in with Payton as our starting PG and Diallo as our backup big. Then hopefully we could get Clark and a solid big man at the vet minimum.

Payton/ Jackson/ vet min to mentor
    Holiday/ Danny Green?/ Ian Clark
    Butler/Miller
    Davis/ Diallo/T Young
    Randle/ Dedmon?/Okafor

This is contingent on Butler actually being disgruntled and demanding a trade. Only way this trade happens IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 07-04-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Random thought......What about Satoransky from Washington? The trade exception could work right? They're riding pretty close to the cap and that might help them out while giving us a solid starting PG.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Am I the only one that realizes Rondo was only good in spurts? Didn't play most 4th quarters and barely played in an elimination game 5?

All the vet leadership talk is being overblown because the entire core should have grown up massively last year.
    No you are not at all. The over reaction on Rondo around here is a little ridiculous. People keep stating things like how much better Jrue was with him when there are stats the don’t back this up. We were worse as a team when he was on the floor plain and simple. Go look at Jrues big game against the Blazers and tell me how many times Rondo set him up.. you will see Jrue all game scoring while Rondo just happens to be on the floor and actually making it tougher on him with defenses ignoring him. Anytime people had a good game it was somehow all because of Rondo’s leadership haha. Rondo did some good things here and helped us to a sweep in the 1st round just like every one else on the team did. But yea this team lost a huge piece with all 8 points and 8 assists per game of him with absolute terrible defense while shooting 33% from 3pt and 56% FT as a black hole on offense. Let’s ignore all of the games where we get blown out in the 1st quarter going down by 20 to then make a comeback the second he leaves the floor. Just blows my mind how everything is ignored haha. As bad of teams Payton played on he had a positive +/- when he was on the floor. His leadership is the most over rated attribute when he was never considered one until he finally realized his career was on the line cause nobody wanted him and his attitude. Somehow he will get all the credit for Jrue next season when he is even better then last year.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-04-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Tobias Harris would be an ideal fit with his 3pt shooting and size.
    I would love this trade especially since it wouldn’t cost us a ton of our assets. I would explore some other guys first but Harris would be a very solid secondary option. His 3 point shooting keeps getting improving and is coming off an invite to the 3pt contest. His game as a whole has continued to improve each season as well rounding himself into a solid all around player. I don’t see how anyone could be against us getting a 6’9 SF who averages 20 ppg, 6 rpg, and 3 apg all while shooting +40% from 3 point. Only 25 years old entering the prime of his career with what should be his best basketball ahead of him. Just forget the name and whatever pre bias you might have towards him frim his years before he developed a great 3 point shot. Harris would thrive in this system alongside the players we have. He reminds me a lot of Carmelo Anthony and Jayson Tatum. The more I think about getting Harris the more I want this trade.

Watch those highlights and tell me a wing with that offensice skill doesn’t completely change this team. The new Tobias Harris with the mid range and 3 point shot is on a different level then what he use to be. When I really dig into his game and who he is now it’s hard to find 2 realistic options that are better fits then him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmzUPZ7u8ug
    Tobias Harris vs Rockets Highlights 29 points

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rVyiDjZAU
    Tobias Harris vs Celtic Highlights 31 points

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...stons-clippers

Good article on the new and improved Harris that has developed into completely different player not only with better shooting but a new modern NBA approach to the % number of 3s he takes.. His label as a “tweener” never had anything to do with his athleticism at all but everything to do with his 3 point shot. Harris is a very good athelete and the improvement in his 3 point shot has now turned him into one of the best scoring wings in the NBA. They compare him to Klay Thompson and how he was every bit as good from 3 on a similar number of attempts. I think he has turned himself into a SF version of Klay Thompson just a step below defensively. One factor in his improved shot is said to be because he got LASIK surgery before the season improving his eye sight since contacts didn’t work well.. The Tobias Harris from last season is an All-Star caliber wing who is an elite shooter. Like I said if you ignore his “tweener” years ignoring the name and judge him off the way he plays now I don’t see how anybody could be against acquiring him even if it costs us some good assets. Rumors are the Clippers want to move him and the Pelicans should be all over this. I really believe with this addition we are the #2 seed in the West. Make it happen Dell!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-04-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Payton does make Jrue better. Do you even watch games? Jrue averages 15 less points a game with EP is injured. Fire Dell for bringing him here.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-04-2018 at 01:46 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Where Do We Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Payton does make Jrue better. Do you even watch games? Jrue averages 15 less points a game with EP is injured. Fore Dell for bringing him here.
    Are you Doctor Strange? Or just strange?

Edit: You had alot of typos in your original post

Last edited by Sleeper; 07-04-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Am I the only one that realizes Rondo was only good in spurts? Didn't play most 4th quarters and barely played in an elimination game 5?

All the vet leadership talk is being overblown because the entire core should have grown up massively last year.
    If by spurt you mean the last quarter of the year and in the playoffs, no you aren't the only that realizes Rondo was good at crunch times.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Maybe not. We would have to give up Niko, Moore, and first but it could be done. That means we are going all in with Payton as our starting PG and Diallo as our backup big. Then hopefully we could get Clark and a solid big man at the vet minimum.

Payton/ Jackson/ vet min to mentor
    Holiday/ Danny Green?/ Ian Clark
    Butler/Miller
    Davis/ Diallo/T Young
    Randle/ Dedmon?/Okafor

This is contingent on Butler actually being disgruntled and demanding a trade. Only way this trade happens IMO

You HAVE to keep Niko for two big reasons. 1.) He stretches the floor and a knockdown 3 point shooter we really need. 2.) The most important thing is that we have his bird rights which would make him a hell of a lot easier to sign long term than Randle. I know a hell of a lot of 2k trades are going to get posted involving Niko but it ain’t going to happen.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but how much cap would the team open up by releasing the non guaranteed contracts of Miller, Oak, and Liggins? Honestly, the only one I'd like to see gone would be Ligg. Miller and Oak have their value to this team, as it currently sits now. But if it meant cleaning that space for a clear upgrade, I'd be on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Are you Doctor Strange? Or just strange?

Edit: You had alot of typos in your original post

He's gone into the future and seen all 14,000,000 outcomes to the upcoming NBA season, and the Pelicans only win the Finals in one of them... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but how much cap would the team open up by releasing the non guaranteed contracts of Miller, Oak, and Liggins? Honestly, the only one I'd like to see gone would be Ligg. Miller and Oak have their value to this team, as it currently sits now. But if it meant cleaning that space for a clear upgrade, I'd be on board.
    I don't think it opens up any space to sign free agents because when you use the MLE you are considered an over the cap team. It's about 7 mil combined which only clears up some more room to trade into of which we have about 11 mil presently. Might be a little more. We still need to sign Clark as well, but we can only offer him 120% of what he got last season.

This site is pretty accurate

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/cap/
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-04-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Man, people are crapping all over Rondo in an effort to build up EP, it doesn’t have to be like that. You can respect what one guy did for us while not bad mouthing him because he left. People are giving Rondo his propers because he was “Playoff Rondo” and that dude saved our bacon quite a bit. We are going to miss that mental edge, and his leadership.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Man, people are crapping all over Rondo in an effort to build up EP, it doesn’t have to be like that. You can respect what one guy did for us while not bad mouthing him because he left. People are giving Rondo his propers because he was “Playoff Rondo” and that dude saved our bacon quite a bit. We are going to miss that mental edge, and his leadership.
    Seriously, the guy is at the end of his career and left for more than we could offer him with a chance to play with the best player in the world. I can't fault him for that. Now, what it appears that Cousins did is just a chicken ish move. That dude has no chest. Honestly, i'm glad he left now and we are not tied to him long term. I think Dell got it right this time even though we lost the player. It seems he learned his lesson in the Eric Gordon deal.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    If by spurt you mean the last quarter of the year and in the playoffs, no you aren't the only that realizes Rondo was good at crunch times.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Yes, 20 out of 82 games qualifies as a spurt does it not? And crunch time as in a very crucial elimination game 5?

He'd get pulled in close games in the 4th. Was not on the floor when the team made a comeback in that final game. He was more crucial in the locker room.

I really don't understand why we haven't been rumored to be interested in James Nunnally????

He seems like the perfect low key minimum contract guy that we can actually promise a good chance at starter minutes if he shows out that Houston and Boston could not. The two other teams looking at him.

And lets just be real, if Houston and Boston, which have two of the best GM's in the league, are the two teams rumored to be intrigued by this potential three and D wing, there is no reason we shouldn't also be trying to work the phones and get the numbers to work to take a chance on him.

Yes, 20 out of 82 games qualifies as a spurt does it not? And crunch time as in a very crucial elimination game 5?

He'd get pulled in close games in the 4th. Was not on the floor when the team made a comeback in that final game. He was more crucial in the locker room.
    Not completely true. Off the top of my head I can remember him almost single handedly getting us the win in the last Laker game when we were trailing near the end of the game. With the help of Zo trying to play hero ball bricking threes of course. We also started the season slow while he was out nursing injury. We drop a couple games and we missed the playoffs. Don't get me wrong he had his flaws but I would not discredit his importance to us becoming a playoff team. But he is gone and I look forward to cheering on the guys that put on the Pels uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Not completely true. Off the top of my head I can remember him almost single handedly getting us the win in the last Laker game when we were trailing near the end of the game. With the help of Zo trying to play hero ball bricking threes of course. We also started the season slow while he was out nursing injury. We drop a couple games and we missed the playoffs. Don't get me wrong he had his flaws but I would not discredit his importance to us becoming a playoff team. But he is gone and I look forward to cheering on the guys that put on the Pels uniform.
    Lonzo bricked us the win more than any player on our team won us that game. We played 5v4 and literally ignored him on the perimeter. In the last 5 minutes he missed 4 3pt shots and for the game shot 1/12 from deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Lonzo bricked us the win more than any player on our team won us that game. We played 5v4 and literally ignored him on the perimeter. In the last 5 minutes he missed 4 3pt shots and for the game shot 1/12 from deep.
    I won't disagree about Zo. Reason I mentioned it but I still remember Rondo stepping up hitting some clutch shots and driving to the basket like a man on a mission. Zo can brick all the shots he wanted but we had to score on the other end and Rondo capitalized on the opportunity.

2 min left pels trail by 4 points Rondo hits a three. Very next possession Rondo drives to the hoop for a layup. Pels now up by a point. AD hit two free throws and steals the inbound and we win by 3
    Last edited by 23speedkillz; 07-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I really don't understand why we haven't been rumored to be interested in James Nunnally????

He seems like the perfect low key minimum contract guy that we can actually promise a good chance at starter minutes if he shows out that Houston and Boston could not. The two other teams looking at him.

And lets just be real, if Houston and Boston, which have two of the best GM's in the league, are the two teams rumored to be intrigued by this potential three and D wing, there is no reason we shouldn't also be trying to work the phones and get the numbers to work to take a chance on him.
    I'm in agreement with you on him.... someone to watch
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Have we lost all hope with Solo Hill? He had a pretty bad injury last year and never seemed to get right even in the playoffs, but I'm sure he's healed by now. He wasn't great, but he was useful in '17. if he can at least get back to THAT form he'll help us this year.

It seems we're suck with that contract at least for this year, so I hope Solo can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    I won't disagree about Zo. Reason I mentioned it but I still remember Rondo stepping up hitting some clutch shots and driving to the basket like a man on a mission. Zo can brick all the shots he wanted but we had to score on the other end and Rondo capitalized on the opportunity.

2 min left pels trail by 4 points Rondo hits a three. Very next possession Rondo drives to the hoop for a layup. Pels now up by a point. AD hit two free throws and steals the inbound and we win by 3
    Never said Rondo was useless, but he was replaceable on the court. Very replaceable. He's basically on a farewell tour of the league right now.

Thread Information