Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pels sign Julius Randall

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    If Randle improves his jumpshot, can he start at the 3? With Niko and AD
    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    if he's that efficient on the court it doesn't matter where we play him.
    He's going to play the 5. He has the perfect size and strength for today's NBA center.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He's going to play the 5. He has the perfect size and strength for today's NBA center.
    He has the perfect size for PF, just not the jumpshot for it yet. He's undersized as a center. There is no way around that at 6'9.

Randle is going to at least start at C and spell AD some minutes there. The Lakers experimented with Randle at C last year and that's around the time he really began to take off. It reduces the need for him to space the floor, and it allows him to optimally utilize his unique blend of strength and speed.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He has the perfect size for PF, just not the jumpshot for it yet. He's undersized as a center. There is no way around that at 6'9.
    He measured 6'9" at like 18, he looks taller now. I'd bet he's atleast 6'10" regardless height isn't anything. Look at barkley and rodman

I agree, on the surface. Defensively is what I think we’re talking about, so I just need him to anchor against the few bigs that play in the post. The good thing is there are so few teams with that personnel who also dump the ball into the post consistently.

Portland tried it (against Mirotic) and got swept. Jonas V. in Toronto is the 3rd option at best. Embiid would be the one matchup I’d worry about. The Joker initiates much of Denver’s offense so Randle’s quickness and ability to switch is a plus there.

To me, Randle is Al Horford-esque. Ideal skill set and length of a 4, but can play small ball 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    He measured 6'9" at like 18, he looks taller now. I'd bet he's atleast 6'10" regardless height isn't anything. Look at barkley and rodman
    Even if we did say he's grown another inch, wingspan and standing reach are big factors when playing center and Randle just doesn't have that. His ideal position is at the 4. Keep in mind the phrase used that warranted my response was "perfect size" for center. There is no voodoo logic that can be used to make Randle's perfect position the 5 with his measurements.

Can he play the 5 some? Of course he can. But the 5 is not his "perfect" position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    I agree, on the surface. Defensively is what I think we’re talking about, so I just need him to anchor against the few bigs that play in the post. The good thing is there are so few teams with that personnel who also dump the ball into the post consistently.

Portland tried it (against Mirotic) and got swept. Jonas V. in Toronto is the 3rd option at best. Embiid would be the one matchup I’d worry about. The Joker initiates much of Denver’s offense so Randle’s quickness and ability to switch is a plus there.

To me, Randle is Al Horford-esque. Ideal skill set and length of a 4, but can play small ball 5.
    Yes I agree with this.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-09-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Today's NBA center. There aren't that many Yao Mings tearing up the league anymore.

Today's NBA center. There aren't that many Yao Mings tearing up the league anymore.
    Let's look at western playoff teams:

Houston - Capela - height 6'10 - wingspan 7'5 - standing reach 9'2.5
    Golden State - Cousins - height 6'11 - wingspan 7'6 - Sr 9'5 (if you prefer McGee it's 7'0 & 7'6 & 9'6.25)
    Portland - Nurkic - height 6'10 - wingspan 7'2 - Sr 9'1.5
    OKC - Adams - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'5 - Sr 9'1.5
    Utah - Gobert - height 7'1 - wingspan 7'9 - Sr 9'7
    Nola - Davis - height 6'11 - wingspan 7'6 - Sr 9'0
    Spurs - Gasol - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'5 - Sr 9'1 (if you prefer LMA it's 6'11 & 7'4 & 9'2)
    Wolves - KAT - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'4 - Sr 9'1

Randle - height 6'9 - wingspan 7'0 - Sr 8'9.5

To be fair let's throw out the lowest and the highest and just take those in the middle. That still averages to basically 6'11 and a wingspan of 7'5 with a standing reach of over 9ft. So no even in today's NBA Randle very clearly does *NOT* have the perfect size for a center.

Look Randle is a good player and I'm excited to see him on this team and see how he and AD pair up together. But this insistence that he will spend all his time at center and that he has "perfect size" for a NBA center is just wrong. He will always be an undersized center in this league. There is no way around that. It doesn't mean he will be bad or that we won't run him at center some but there is no way to spin it as some positive. At best he could be called a tweener but really his size lines up perfectly with the PF position. He just lacks a jumpshot to play that position effectively on offense so a bad Lakers team last year tried to find a position for him and so he split time between pf/c.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Let's look at western playoff teams:

Houston - Capela - height 6'10 - wingspan 7'5 - standing reach 9'2.5
    Golden State - Cousins - height 6'11 - wingspan 7'6 - Sr 9'5 (if you prefer McGee it's 7'0 & 7'6 & 9'6.25)
    Portland - Nurkic - height 6'10 - wingspan 7'2 - Sr 9'1.5
    OKC - Adams - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'5 - Sr 9'1.5
    Utah - Gobert - height 7'1 - wingspan 7'9 - Sr 9'7
    Nola - Davis - height 6'11 - wingspan 7'6 - Sr 9'0
    Spurs - Gasol - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'5 - Sr *could not find*
    Wolves - KAT - height 7'0 - wingspan 7'4 - Sr 9'1

Randle - height 6'9 - wingspan 7'0 - Sr 8'9.5

To be fair let's throw out the lowest and the highest and just take those in the middle. That still averages to basically 6'11 and a wingspan of 7'5 with a standing reach of over 9ft. So no even in today's NBA Randle very clearly does *NOT* have the perfect size for a center.

Look Randle is a good player and I'm excited to see him on this team and see how he and AD pair up together. But this insistence that he will spend all his time at center and that he has "perfect size" for a NBA center is just wrong. He will always be an undersized center in this league. There is no way around that. It doesn't mean he will be bad or that we won't run him at center some but there is no way to spin it as some positive. At best he could be called a tweener but really his size lines up perfectly with the PF position. He just lacks a jumpshot to play that position effectively on offense so a bad Lakers team last year tried to find a position for him and so he split time between pf/c.
    All you're doing is looking at numbers and I'm talking about the style of today's NBA. None of those guys are giving Randle problems in the post. Gasol is the most traditional big man on that list. Boogie would barely see the paint he takes freaking 8 3s a game.

All you're doing is looking at numbers and I'm talking about the style of today's NBA. None of those guys are giving Randle problems in the post. Gasol is the most traditional big man on that list. Boogie would barely see the paint he takes freaking 8 3s a game.
    You are trying to move the goal post. YOU made the claim that he had the "perfect size" for a center. Now you claim you aren't talking about numbers but play style. That's fine if you want to say that due to his physical play style he can handle playing center, I agree he can play the 5 some. But don't try to say his size is a reason he play center and that he has the "perfect size" for a NBA center.

His size is the reason it took until the 4th year before the Lakers tried him at center. In every match-up with a western playoff team if he's going against a center then he will be undersized. When you lose the size comparison 100% of the time that's not the perfect size.

You are trying to move the goal post. YOU made the claim that he had the "perfect size" for a center. Now you claim you aren't talking about numbers but play style. That's fine if you want to say that due to his physical play style he can handle playing center, I agree he can play the 5 some. But don't try to say his size is a reason he play center and that he has the "perfect size" for a NBA center.

His size is the reason it took until the 4th year before the Lakers tried him at center. In every match-up with a western playoff team if he's going against a center then he will be undersized. When you lose the size comparison 100% of the time that's not the perfect size.
    No you just need to read carefully, after all words mean things. I made the claim that he had the perfect size and strength for TODAY's NBA center, yes. I assumed one would understand that details the style of play in the NBA, clearly I was incorrect in that assumption.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Gasol, Gasol, Capela, KAT, Jokic, Nurcic, DJ, Gobert, Adams, any Sacto #5. I'd say that 6'9" is an absolute detriment defensively. If Randle didn't have to play the #5, his offense would improve a bit also. Has to be exhausting to be so undersized, guarding those guys every night.

No you just need to read carefully, after all words mean things. I made the claim that he had the perfect size and strength for TODAY's NBA center, yes. I assumed one would understand that details the style of play in the NBA, clearly I was incorrect in that assumption.
    Size implies numbers.... Dude there is no way around that. If I am buying a pair of shoes and say I wear size 13 someone doesn't just throw a random box at. Size can be measured. Size is tangible.

You are WRONG if you say Randle has the "perfect size" for today's NBA center. He is undersized in every, single playoff matchup. Now maybe he can make up for that with his strength and style of play but those are different things than size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Gasol, Gasol, Capela, KAT, Jokic, Nurcic, DJ, Gobert, Adams, any Sacto #5. I'd say that 6'9" is an absolute detriment defensively. If Randle didn't have to play the #5, his offense would improve a bit also. Has to be exhausting to be so undersized, guarding those guys every night.
    Clearly you have never seen the guy play defense. He was moved to the "center" position last year and had his best season all the way around.

Size implies numbers.... Dude there is no way around that. If I am buying a pair of shoes and say I wear size 13 someone doesn't just throw a random box at. Size can be measured. Size is tangible.

You are WRONG if you say Randle has the "perfect size" for today's NBA center. He is undersized in every, single playoff matchup. Now maybe he can make up for that with his strength and style of play but those are different things than size.
    What the hell are you even talking about anymore? You are arguing just for the sake of arguing. Read sentences, comprehend them and then comment your opinion if you'd like. Don't go on tangents on a single word to try and show that you're somehow correct. No one cares, really.

Clearly you have never seen the guy play defense. He was moved to the "center" position last year and had his best season all the way around.
    So, what you are saying is- If he were 6'10 or 6'11" with the same skill set, he would still be better off being 6'9" ? You do realize that that sounds a bit goofy, right?

So, what you are saying is- If he were 6'10 or 6'11" with the same skill set, he would still be better off being 6'9" ? You do realize that that sounds a bit goofy, right?
    No that's not what I'm saying. But with the NBA being majority small ball league now and there being no real traditional big men anymore, his size isn't a concern. He proved it last season.

What the hell are you even talking about anymore? You are arguing just for the sake of arguing. Read sentences, comprehend them and then comment your opinion if you'd like. Don't go on tangents on a single word to try and show that you're somehow correct. No one cares, really.
    This is only an issue because YOU made the claim Randle was the perfect size. If your statement was, "He has the perfect strength and style of play to make up for his lack of size." Then I would have never said anything.

Perfect size implies he is at the peak, the best ratio, etc. Are you saying Randle would not be a better player for the center position if he was 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan and still had all his strength and style of play?

There is no way around the fact that Randle is undersized for a center.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-10-2018 at 09:22 AM.

No that's not what I'm saying. But with the NBA being majority small ball league now and there being no real traditional big men anymore, his size isn't a concern. He proved it last season.
    I gotta say- Gasol, Gasol, Gobert, DJ, Jokic, Nurcic, Embiid, Howard, Whiteside, KAT , Adams, Capela, Lopez, Lopez, Valeciuniz, Gortat . You have several Basic 5's in here. The rest are Basic 5's that have extended their games .

This is only an issue because YOU made the claim Randle was the perfect size. If your statement was, "He has the perfect strength and style of play to make up for his lack of size." Then I would have never said anything.

Perfect size implies he is at the peak, the best ratio, etc. Are you saying Randle would not be a better player for the center position if he was 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan and still had all his strength and style of play?

Yes, That! Nobody is saying that Randle CANT play center an above average level. BUT he ain't the perfect size for a #5.

FOR TODAY'S NBA
    yes he has the strength to defend bigger guys and quickness for smaller ones. This reading comprehension thing is still an issue. I'm going to let you have at it.

FOR TODAY'S NBA
    yes he has the strength to defend bigger guys and quickness for smaller ones. This reading comprehension thing is still an issue. I'm going to let you have at it.
    Thats NOT what you said. It is your memory that fails you, not others reading comprehension. Your Quote: He's going to play the #5. He has the PERFECT Size and Strength for today's NBA Center. 6'10" & 6'11" would both be a better size for Randle. THUS, axiomatically 6'9' is NOT PERFECT!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Someone (s) needs a timeout...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I gotta say- Gasol, Gasol, Gobert, DJ, Jokic, Nurcic, Embiid, Howard, Whiteside, KAT , Adams, Capela, Lopez, Lopez, Valeciuniz, Gortat . You have several Basic 5's in here. The rest are Basic 5's that have extended their games .
    Tha's an impressive list of true 5s. Kudos.

he kinda seems like carl landry did on offense. Landry was small for PF at 6'7" but I loved the way it didn't deter him from going at the rim like it owed him something.

I figure he'll be the garbage man playing center/ screener on offense often and defensively it'll just depend on matchup. It's hard to believe folks debate this stuff really. Half of the taller centers folks name aren't really scoring threats; hence, with his decent weight and low center of gravity he should be able to keep them off the block.

basically just think of us as going with

G
    G
    ?
    F
    F

the question mark represents SF cause who the hell knows who we will put in there. Since the pels/bees came here we may have had a decent SF for about three seasons total if that. I don't mind it being a guard for many games but in the playoffs we need someone who can guard the ELITE SF's.

as garbage as folks thought Aminu was I sure wish we had him to guard the durant types

Thread Information