Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pels sign Julius Randall

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    BUT he won't be playing pf for us so who cares how he stacks up vs power forwards? U need to lookup average height and length for centers

Regardless random has grown and looks to be at least 6'10, he'll be fine at center, I feel bad for big slow centers having to guard him
    Frankly, it doesn't matter.

Height and length are valuable pieces of information to have when you're considering drafting a player, or signing a guy who's barely played. That's because those stats give you some insight as to what roles they might be able to play on the court.

Once you've actually got years worth of genuine results of them actually playing on the court, the measurements become secondary: above all, the results are what matters. And regardless of how his height or length stacks up against centres, Julius Randle has produced the goods against both power forwards and centres. So who cares what his measurements are, the results are what matters, and he brings good results. Frankly I don't care if he's 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan if the end product is what we see today.
    Basketball.

As long as he plays as we hope/expect, his measurements will not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Frankly, it doesn't matter.

Height and length are valuable pieces of information to have when you're considering drafting a player, or signing a guy who's barely played. That's because those stats give you some insight as to what roles they might be able to play on the court.

Once you've actually got years worth of genuine results of them actually playing on the court, the measurements become secondary: above all, the results are what matters. And regardless of how his height or length stacks up against centres, Julius Randle has produced the goods against both power forwards and centres. So who cares what his measurements are, the results are what matters, and he brings good results. Frankly I don't care if he's 6'7 with a 6'8 wingspan if the end product is what we see today.
    Ur telling me things that I already know, that was the point I was trying to make...

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As long as he plays as we hope/expect, his measurements will not matter.
    this, i don't care if he is 6'5", he if balls he balls. I was questioning that IF you are going to compare his measurables, why do it vs PF's and not C's.

BUT he won't be playing pf for us so who cares how he stacks up vs power forwards? U need to lookup average height and length for centers

Regardless random has grown and looks to be at least 6'10, he'll be fine at center, I feel bad for big slow centers having to guard him
    Yes he will. He will at least split time between PF and C and I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season he got the majority of his minutes there.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I remember the discussion at draft time with the talking heads. I am no expert to know what is considered adequate or good, just remember the discussion.

Here is an article I found as well-

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/...-prospect-2013
    I actually really like the Blake Griffin comparison for him. They are very similar players and do a lot of the same things. A better defensive Griffin who doesn’t shoot as many jumpers is a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That can't be right he's a +3 wingspan. Hold on let me check. Yeah here is what draft express said about his measurements:

"Randle was criticized for much of his freshman year for a low steal and block rate, which many attributed to having short arms. He put that rumor to rest by registering a 7-foot wingspan, more than adequate for his 6-9 (in shoes), 250-pound frame, even if his standing reach leaves something to be desired at 8-9 1/2. The 6-9 250 pound Randle measured similarly to Kevin Love, who came in at 6-7 ¾ without shoes, 255 pounds, with a 6-11 ¼ wingspan and 8-10 standing reach."

I also Checked to see what the average wingspan by position was and PF is similar height to Randle with 7'1 wingspan. So he's right there.
    Wingspan is something that is more likely to fill out a little more as opposed to getting taller. He was 20 years old in his rookie season and after seeing him next to Cousins I have 0 doubt he continued to grow a little after those measurements. I would say he’s 6’11 with a 7’1-7’3 wingspan. He’s also 15 lbs lighter from the combine after getting in shape he stated he was around 235 which is great to here.

Dude is 23 and married.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Yes he will. He will at least split time between PF and C and I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the season he got the majority of his minutes there.
    I really don't see when, he'll be our starting 5, and then he will come out for Niko, Niko will play the 4 and AD will move to the 5, and when AD goes out and Randle plays with Nico, Nico will stay at the 4 and Randle will once again play the 5, and when all 3 of them play together, Randle will play the 5 with AD playing the 4 defending the 3, and Niko playing the 3 offensively and defending the 4 That's my opinion anyway.

I guess Randle could get some minutes defending the opponents 3 because of his lateral agility, plus this would leave AD at the rim for his shot blocking, but offensively, Randle will almost be an exclusive 5.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 07-05-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Dude is 23 and married.
    Do you take anything from that?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Do you take anything from that?
    Mature. Good guy. More like Jrue less like boogie. But still has that fierce temperament that is infectious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odds we sign him to an extension before the allstar break? IF he is a 20/10 player, what would a fair contract look like while also keeping options open in next year's free agency pool? 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Odds we sign him to an extension before the allstar break? IF he is a 20/10 player, what would a fair contract look like while also keeping options open in next year's free agency pool? 4 years?
    $25M/yr with his defense, passing and athleticism

I really don't see when, he'll be our starting 5, and then he will come out for Niko, Niko will play the 4 and AD will move to the 5, and when AD goes out and Randle plays with Nico, Nico will stay at the 4 and Randle will once again play the 5, and when all 3 of them play together, Randle will play the 5 with AD playing the 4 defending the 3, and Niko playing the 3 offensively and defending the 4 That's my opinion anyway.

I guess Randle could get some minutes defending the opponents 3 because of his lateral agility, plus this would leave AD at the rim for his shot blocking, but offensively, Randle will almost be an exclusive 5.
    You are who you guard and I think defensively AD will handle guarding centers most of the time. Once Cousins went down he did it almost exclusively and I think he will be willing to do the same now that he recruited Randle. At most Randle split time in LA playing PF and C and I see no reason why he wouldn't do the same here.

Randle is also our best option guarding 3s out of Niko, AD, and him too so when we go super big Randle will be out on the perimeter.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.

You are who you guard and I think defensively AD will handle guarding centers most of the time. Once Cousins went down he did it exclusively and I think he will be willing to do the same now that he recruited Randle. At most Randle split time in LA playing PF and C and I see no reason why he wouldn't do the same here.

Randle is also our best option guarding 3s out of Niko, AD, and him too so when we go super big Randle will be out on the perimeter.
    If Randle improves his jumpshot, can he start at the 3? With Niko and AD

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    If Randle improves his jumpshot, can he start at the 3? With Niko and AD
    I wouldn't start him there. I think that minimizes some of his best traits if he has to spend 100% of his time out there. In stretches though, I'm interested in seeing how it works out.

I wouldn't start him there. I think that minimizes some of his best traits if he has to spend 100% of his time out there. In stretches though, I'm interested in seeing how it works out.
    Well if Niko is on the court, he can space while Randle destroys small forwards in the post

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Well if Niko is on the court, he can space while Randle destroys small forwards in the post
    If I was the opposing team I'd put the SF on AD and the center in the post on Randle. We've seen AD struggle with long quick guys guarding him in the past. I think in stretches a Randle-Niko-AD lineup can work though and I'm interested in seeing it. However our best lineup would require a SF who is a scoring threat so teams can't cheat off of them and AD and Randle/Niko have to be matched up against a big where they will excel.

I know that's just workout but that's pretty impressive. To say he didn't really have much of a jumper to shooting like THAT. Sheesh.

Did he miss a single shot?

Obviously workouts and just workouts but wow that video is encouraging. That jumper looks smooth

I mean it looks smooth but it was a 1/4 speed workout that was edited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are who you guard and I think defensively AD will handle guarding centers most of the time. Once Cousins went down he did it almost exclusively and I think he will be willing to do the same now that he recruited Randle. At most Randle split time in LA playing PF and C and I see no reason why he wouldn't do the same here.

I agree here...I think on defense our best options if we go super big with Nico/AD/Randle. I would get Randle to guard 3 then AD. If their SF is a lame duck like ours have been then Nico. I put Randle over AD since I would rather AD protecting the rim and Randle looks to have a slightly quicker fist step laterally to guard a smaller player.

if he's that efficient on the court it doesn't matter where we play him.

Thread Information