Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rondo a Laker

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I will bet anybody whatever $ they want that this team will be better next season without Rondo.. that Jrue becomes even better and maybe people realize it was because of his hard work and not Rondo having some magical powers. Jrue and our lineups were better when Rondo wasn’t on the floor. Not gonna be as easy when there aren’t 5+ easy assists a game as a result of AD being the best compliment in the nba for any PG. Sure Rondo brought some positives but the negatives outweighed them. He played absolutely no defense getting abused every single game. Only shot he could make was a wide open 3 pointer that every team in the nba begged him to shoot hurting the entire offense having to play 4 vs 5.. his few flashy passes and alley oops a game along with his “leadership” will be missed but everything else will not. He was the most over rated presence in the NBA last season and the stats back it up.

I understand and agree with most that you said but what you did not do was listening to jrue....jrue said in a interview that having rondo making the calls and getting everyone involved meaning making sure AD and boogie get the ball,,,that took a lot off of his mind.....jrue said all he has to do now is score and play defense....yes jrue has talent but it's a fact having rondo and boogie running the point was one key factor in jrue blow up this season.....all jrue had to do was be selfish and go get his and score whenever he wanted....this is what you don't want to give credit for having rondo for......find the interview after the game where jrue say this and credit rondo for being the floor general to where jrue can just play his game....

Some of us seen this where jrue and Frazier were on the court together and Frazier set the offense up better and jrue was focus on doing him.....some of us knew when we sign jrue to his new contract that he was going to be the off shooting guard and was looking for a cp3 type guard to play next to jrue and run the show.....

Right now I'm down for trading for Lonzo ...Payton and ball are pass first point guards so let them run the show and put them next to jrue so he can pick up where he left off last season

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    So if I understand you correctly... it was our signing of bad contracts in the past that blocked us from grossly overpaying someone today? However you feel about his intangibles, market value for him was nowhere near 9mil.
    Actually the market said that he was worth $9MM, so market value for his services was...$9MM.

This is the equivalent to someone saying “that guy isn’t worth a 1st round pick.” Right after he has been drafted in the first round.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    We don't sweep the Blazers without Rondo. Hell, we may not win that series at all without him.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Ok we don’t sweep the Blazers without anybody during that series. I guarantee you there is quite a few players we could plug in his spot and we play just as good if not better. You are ignoring the facts with how much better this team was when he was of the floor. Just go look at Payton we just signed whose team was like +3 ppg or something better when he was on the floor. No +/- is not a tell all stat but it is pretty telling when people wanna act like Rondo just made everyone ooze with confidence and play so much better when he was on the floor which simply isn’t true. He turned our team into a bunch of jump shooters with no ball movement. At times yes it looked like a well oiled machine that clicked but most of the time that was not the case. People love to point out how Jrue looked like a disaster at times running the offense and forgetting how good it did at other times.. all while remembering only the good times with Rondo and ignoring how we looked like the worst offense in nba history with him and others.

I am all for paying Rondo $8MM. $9MM might have been a stretch, but the guy has shown to come through when needed. He has been that way his entire career (when he was in stable environments). There is no doubt that this team would have gone to another level with a healthy Boogie and playoff Rondo.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    I understand and agree with most that you said but what you did not do was listening to jrue....jrue said in a interview that having rondo making the calls and getting everyone involved meaning making sure AD and boogie get the ball,,,that took a lot off of his mind.....jrue said all he has to do now is score and play defense....yes jrue has talent but it's a fact having rondo and boogie running the point was one key factor in jrue blow up this season.....all jrue had to do was be selfish and go get his and score whenever he wanted....this is what you don't want to give credit for having rondo for......find the interview after the game where jrue say this and credit rondo for being the floor general to where jrue can just play his game....

Some of us seen this where jrue and Frazier were on the court together and Frazier set the offense up better and jrue was focus on doing him.....some of us knew when we sign jrue to his new contract that he was going to be the off shooting guard and was looking for a cp3 type guard to play next to jrue and run the show.....

Right now I'm down for trading for Lonzo ...Payton and ball are pass first point guards so let them run the show and put them next to jrue so he can pick up where he left off last season
    I wouldn’t touch Ball with a 10 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Actually the market said that he was worth $9MM, so market value for his services was...$9MM.

This is the equivalent to someone saying “that guy isn’t worth a 1st round pick.” Right after he has been drafted in the first round.
    By that logic we paid Asik and Hill market value contracts, so pick your poison.

Guys get overpaid, it happens. I happen to be glad to actually be on the "Phew" end of an overpay for once, despite the acknowledged fact that his leadership was valuable.

By that logic we paid Asik and Hill market value contracts, so pick your poison.

Guys get overpaid, it happens. I happen to be glad to actually be on the "Phew" end of an overpay for once, despite the acknowledged fact that his leadership was valuable.
    Where do you get the idea Asik or Hills contracts were market value? Not to mention the dangerous length of them

So if I understand you correctly... it was our signing of bad contracts in the past that blocked us from grossly overpaying someone today? However you feel about his intangibles, market value for him was nowhere near 9mil.

You don't understand me correctly. You just took what I said and added your own opinion. Over payment is your opinion, not mine. $250,000 for a car, even if it is a Ferrari 488 is an over payment for a vehicle. < (my opinion) 9 mill is worth every penny for Rondo < (me and Magic Johnson's opinion) Every organization needs leadership with a high IQ, it's worth a premium salary.

Taking away a top IQ role player from a playoff team in your conference is worth paying a premium. Making yourself better and hurting competition at the same time is worth paying a premium.
    Last edited by SmontySwilliams; 07-02-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: eye spell good

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Bye Rondo. Bye Boogie. I’m going to be pissed if we don’t resign boogie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hill actually was market, Asik however was driving up the price on ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    You don't understand me correctly. You just took what I said and added your own opinion to. Over payment is your opinion, not mine. $250,000 for a car, even if it is a Ferrari 488 is an over payment for a vehicle. < (my opinion) 9 mill is worth every penny for Rondo < (me and Magic Johnson's opinion) Every organization needs leadership with a high IQ, it's worth a premium salary.

Taking away a top IQ role player from a playoff team in your conference is worth paying a premium. Making yourself better and hurting competition at the same time is worth paying a premium.

This is all true.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    You don't understand me correctly. You just took what I said and added your own opinion to. Over payment is your opinion, not mine. $250,000 for a car, even if it is a Ferrari 488 is an over payment for a vehicle. < (my opinion) 9 mill is worth every penny for Rondo < (me and Magic Johnson's opinion) Every organization needs leadership with a high IQ, it's worth a premium salary.

I tend to agree. Some guys are just worth paying a couple measly extra mil for

Plus we have to start building chemistry all over again now. Continuity is important

ENOUGH OF THIS WE SIGNED RANDLE!

Sucks to lose Rondo, but not at 9 million a year!! Crazy!! That has to put the Lakers out of the picture for Cousins I would think.

Rondo can’t do it forever though and he has had trouble with injuries before. He was great in the playoffs, but he wasn’t the only one. Hopefully Payton can offer us more scoring & defense than Rondo. We had to take Rondo out at the end of most close games due to his free throw shooting. Sometimes he would drive me crazy trying to make the unreal play than just the one needed which would result in turnovers. He would turn the ball over at the worse possible times. I think a combo of Jrue and Payton can get it done for us at the point. We have a good 2 guard in Moore. Hopefully we get Boogie signed soon and can somehow get us a decent small forward as well. I hated the Hill signing when we made it and now it’s a huge aggravation like Asik was IMO. Go ahead and pay Rodney Hood what we were gonna pay Rondo. He would be a huge improvement at the 3 IMO. He was damn good in Utah and should want to redeem himself. If not him maybe we look at Nick Young again. I really hope Frank Jackson and Cheick Diallo look great in summer league. We may need both of them to give us meaningful minutes this season.

I'm not upset with Rondo going to get his money. The Lakers made a stupid big offer for him at the expense of losing Randle.

Think about that for a moment. They renounced Randle's rights to offer Rondo 9m for 1 year. They also agreed to bring in Lance Stephenson and McGee. How are they even going to run the team with Lonzo, Rondo, Stephen, and Lebron? That team has little to no outside Shooting.

For the Lakers I just don't understand the move. Rondo is good I get that and he's smart for sure. But they basically give up on not one but TWO of their high 1st round picks because of a 1 year rental. Randle is now I have to Imagine gone and this is going to crush Lonzo when Rondo puts him on the bench.

Then Luke Walton is suppose to be able to manage all these prides? Mann. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

Of course he did because he has reporters asking him pointed questions like how big is the impact of having someone like Rondo out there being the floor general and blah blah??.. He’s not gonna say I think I’m actually better when I have the ball in my hands and get to attack instead of running around not touching the ball for minutes while we turn into a bunch of jump shooters. I 100% agree Rondo did a lot of great things for us but people are acting like Jrue can’t play without him and everyone benefitted with Rondo on the floor which just isn’t true. Everything about why we could be better without him which we were most of the time is being ignored.

Another thing about Jrue is being ignored how good he was when he was healthy before he got here. People are forgetting he was an All-Star and helped his team to the EC Finals with the 76ers.. last season was the first time since he has been here he actually had a full summer to work on his game instead of rehabbing. Just like Curry turned his career around on his own by simply being healthy and finally having time to work on his game.. The same thing happened with Jrue and it wasn’t Rondo who all the sudden had him become the player he was when he was actually better when Rondo wasn’t on the floor. Jrue last season was entering the prime of his career finally being healthy with some hard work behind his game. Again Rondo helped everyone in different ways and was a great asset to have around our guys even if just for 1 season.

I 100% agree with you Jrue is better when he has some help in the back court. I just don’t think Rondo is even close to being the best player for him and imo Jrue is much better off having someone to share the duties with and not someone dominate the duties like Rondo did. The whole talk Jrue being a PG or SG is over rated when he’s a combo guard that will be best whether it is a PG or SG next to him that helps facilitate the offense. IMO Devin Booker is the best fit next to him in the NBA not someone like John Wall just so Jrue can play “SG”.. Booker could at times facilitate while Jrue still handles the majority of the duties but Booker gives a legit scoring threat and isn’t a ball stopper turning the guys around him into jump shooters.. Just like how Jrue and Iguodala played off each other in Philly is when he was at his best imo. If Rondo was a solid scoring threat that played on/off ball with Jrue instead of dominating the ball then he would have been a great fit and a PG version of Iggy but that wasn’t the case. What I like about Payton is he moves the ball and gets it out of his hands quickly not needing it right back if the shot isn’t taken. For Payton and Jrue to really thrive we need Payton to atleast be a threat from 3pt like last season. I think Jrue being able to play well with a Rondo and even better without is a reflection on how the versatility he has to do it all along with the hard work he put in to improve his game.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.

What the heck is going on

I still can’t get to mad of a guy taking more money than what we were offering. I understand the business part of it. However, Boogie is a coward for taking less money to be a cheerleader on a warriors team and leaving AD and the franchise out to dry like that.

I'm not mad at Rondo. He took more money to play in a big market. Interesting we were willing to offer him 8.6m/yr and he still turned it down. That extra 400k was the difference.

Maybe a bit conspiratorial, but I can’t help but wonder about Dell’s alleged comment that Rondo didn’t even give the Pelicans a chance to match the offer to the Lakers. If that’s true, that’s kind of a cruddy move when we just helped revitalize his career. And, what was it, a couple of hours or so after Rondo agreed to the deal with the Lakers that Boogie signed with the Warriors. We know Boogie and Rondo are tight. Can’t help but wonder if, once Boogie got fed up and his agent started reaching out to other teams, if Boogie made a call or sent a text to Rondo and told him that the Pelicans did him wrong and he wasn’t returning. I wonder, could that be the reason that Rondo split and didn’t even give us the chance to match his offer? Doesn’t matter anymore. Just popped into my head and haven’t seen anyone mention that as a possible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Maybe a bit conspiratorial, but I can’t help but wonder about Dell’s alleged comment that Rondo didn’t even give the Pelicans a chance to match the offer to the Lakers. If that’s true, that’s kind of a cruddy move when we just helped revitalize his career. And, what was it, a couple of hours or so after Rondo agreed to the deal with the Lakers that Boogie signed with the Warriors. We know Boogie and Rondo are tight. Can’t help but wonder if, once Boogie got fed up and his agent started reaching out to other teams, if Boogie made a call or sent a text to Rondo and told him that the Pelicans did him wrong and he wasn’t returning. I wonder, could that be the reason that Rondo split and didn’t even give us the chance to match his offer? Doesn’t matter anymore. Just popped into my head and haven’t seen anyone mention that as a possible reason.
    Thought something similar as soon as Rondo signed. It was a clear sign to me that Boogie told him he was not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Did him wrong by offering 2/40mil to a guy with the worst type of injury in basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Did him wrong by offering 2/40mil to a guy with the worst type of injury in basketball?
    Not my opinion. I'm saying, that's clearly how Boogie feels. He's been running his mouth about how we never made him an offer and Dell didn't want him. Seems, giving Boogie's outspoken anger with the Pels front office.... giving the hour or so difference between Rondo and Boogie's signing...giving that Boogie initially offered his services to the Lakers for $5M and was turned away... it seems suspicious that there may have been some communication between Boogie and Rondo. At the least, they were both angling to be members of the Lakers once it was clear Boogie wasn't coming back. Just curious if Boogie's opinion that the Pels did him wrong affected Rondo resigning and that's why he left without giving us a chance to match.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Great. Now AD is upset.

Thread Information