Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elfrid Payton signs one year deal with New Orleans Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    You can still divide the TMLE among multiple players (we gave Payton approximately half of it)...

If we were to use the non tax MLE, then we are immediately hard capped and cannot exceed it at all, even if we have plans to shed salary later...

As long as you stay under the TMLE (I believe 5.7 this year), then you can do whatever you want, but if we sign someone for say 4 million on top of what we gave EP, then we are immediately hard capped for the season no matter what (hope that helps explain some)
    Yeah it's making more sense now, BUT there's still this point

NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used

If the NT-MLE hard caps you straight away, why would a team ever use it? Or would they use it once they've filled the rest of their roster?

The Franchise
    Wouldn't it all depend on how much Cousins signs for? Of course if he gets 27 million we would be over but if he get 22 million we should be able to use the full MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Get your head around this doozy

Just a really complicated way of explaining you can use the tax payer MLE if you are or will be above the apron, but cant use the non tax payer and then go over.

I guess I cant be too upset with using a portion of the tax payer MLE. It likely takes us out of the running for the Hood, Evans, Ellingtons, Noels of the world though. And we also need Rondo to take the non Bird of 3.9 million but a 4 year 16 million dollar deal should be enough to keep him. But we can use the other half of the taxpayer MLE to secure guys who want more than the minimum.

I'd like to sell you all on Treveon Graham. He could be our Royce Oneale. Speaking of which, Utah has a lot of wings right now, as does PHX. Both could be trade partners.

But the specific type of exception is dictated by where you are in relation to the apron (under or over) and this doesn't get decided until the whole roster is filled right?

So how can it be decided yet if it's the MLE or T-MLE we've used?

At the moment we're under the apron so that makes it the MLE so wouldn't we be hard capped now?

Sorry it's late here and half watching the World Cup haha
    No because 1) nothing is signed yet. 2) you can still use the tax payer MLE if you are under the tax. What you can't do is use the non tax payer MLE and go over the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No because 1) nothing is signed yet. 2) you can still use the tax payer MLE if you are under the tax. What you can't do is use the non tax payer MLE and go over the tax.
    Ok I think I get it now. Thanks.

But still, this means we can't use the BAE having used the Tax Payer MLE?

Ok I think I get it now. Thanks.

But still, this means we can't use the BAE having used the Tax Payer MLE?
    Just keep in mind that the way they order the signings will allow us to use the tax payer MLE. Just because Payton agreed to an amount and terms that doesn't mean it immediately hits our books.

The way I'd assume this will work out is, Cousins will sign his first which will put us above the apron and allow us to use the Taxpayer MLE. Then Payton and whoever else we use the other half on will sign their deals.

As far as not being able to use the Bae this is what Larry Coon has to say on it, "It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Room Mid-Level exception."

So no. It looks like you can only use the tax payer MLE or the Bae.

Just keep in mind that the way they order the signings will allow us to use the tax payer MLE. Just because Payton agreed to an amount and terms that doesn't mean it immediately hits our books.

The way I'd assume this will work out is, Cousins will sign his first which will put us above the apron and allow us to use the Taxpayer MLE. Then Payton and whoever else we use the other half on will sign their deals.

As far as not being able to use the Bae this is what Larry Coon has to say on it, "It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Room Mid-Level exception."

So no. It looks like you can only use the tax payer MLE or the Bae.
    Got it

Now keep in mind, if we end losing Boogie (not gonna happen now), or if DC decides to sign for a discount where we can fit the NTMLE and the BAE under the hard cap with his deal, then that would open up alot of possibilities for us, but right now until we know what he will do we have to just assume we will be a tax team and only have the TMLE available to use

Well, guess he's the starting poiht now. Welp

Well, guess he's the starting poiht now. Welp
    Im not sure of that yet. There's two ways to run the team:

Payton, Jrue, Moore, AD, Cousins

Or

Jrue, Moore, Hill, AD, Cousins

Either way, the Payton move was absolutely brilliant now.

Im not sure of that yet. There's two ways to run the team:

Payton, Jrue, Moore, AD, Cousins

Or

Jrue, Moore, Hill, AD, Cousins

Either way, the Payton move was absolutely brilliant now.
    Id much rather have Jrue at the 2

Id much rather have Jrue at the 2
    It's an interesting position to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    He will be a backup to Rondo from everything I'm hearing so don't get excited about Rondo's departure just yet.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    So.....what uh.....what all were you hearing?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Thread Information