Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elfrid Payton signs one year deal with New Orleans Pelicans.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Timing is irrelevant with the Bi-Annual exception. It hard caps us. No way around it.
    Wait why does the BAE hard cap us?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Wait why does the BAE hard cap us?
    Still, even if a team didn’t use its BAE in ’17/18, that club doesn’t necessarily have access to it for the coming year. As is the case with the non-taxpayer MLE, this exception disappears once a team goes under the cap. It’s also not available to teams over the tax apron — using the BAE creates a hard cap at the apron.
    I didn't think we were over the apron yet coz we haven't signed Boogie

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/...xceptions.html

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I didn't think we were over the apron yet coz we haven't signed Boogie

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/...xceptions.html
    I didn't think we were yet at least.

We aren't over it yet. But that is irrelevant. It hard caps us for the entire season. There is no way to cheat the system. If you use the BAE you are hard capped for the season. Doesn't matter when you use it. Doesn't matter how you order things. If you want to use the Bae then to have access to that exception you have to agree to not go over the hard cap for the season.

That's why the only one that makes sense is the Taxpayer MLE. Which half of that just happens to lineup with exactly what Payton signed for.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I didn't think we were yet at least.
    Every time I think I've fully grasped the BAE, another piece of info comes along to confuse me

We aren't over it yet. But that is irrelevant. It hard caps us for the entire season. There is no way to cheat the system. If you use the BAE you are hard capped for the season. Doesn't matter when you use it. Doesn't matter how you order things. If you want to use the Bae then to have access to that exception you have to agree to not go over the hard cap for the season.

That's why the only one that makes sense is the Taxpayer MLE. Which half of that just happens to lineup with exactly what Payton signed for.
    But why is it irrelevant if we don't want to be a tax team? Wouldn't it then be useful

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Every time I think I've fully grasped the BAE, another piece of info comes along to confuse me
    I’ve given up on understanding any of this. Mainly because legalese is my mental antithesis.

That's how the NBA salary cap is. It's one of the most overly complicated systems I've ever seen, often for seemingly no reason. It's convoluted for the sake of being convoluted.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's how the NBA salary cap is. It's one of the most overly complicated systems I've ever seen, often for seemingly no reason. It's convoluted for the sake of being convoluted.
    What? It's a piece of cake

What? It's a piece of cake
    If it's a five tiered, multi flavoured cake with elaborate sugar work and pipework, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If it's a five tiered, multi flavoured cake with elaborate sugar work and pipework, then maybe.
    Cake boss in the house!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

But why is it irrelevant if we don't want to be a tax team? Wouldn't it then be useful
    No because even if you aren't a tax team You still have to stay under the hard cap. If you remember last year we weren't a tax team But we were just a million or two away from the hard cap because all incentives are counted in hard cap calculations.

I think the chances of us not being a tax team are very low anyway.

My assumption is this fits into one of our trade exceptions that we have. If it's a 2.7m deal then it would fit inside of Qpon's trade exception. I have to check and see because I'm not sure we can use the Bi-Annual exception without hard capping ourselves.

Yes after looking it up I'm almost certain it can't be the Bi-Annual exception because that would hardcap us.
    Don' t think we can use a TPE for a FA signing. Guessing it has to be part of the TMLE (right at half of it, so maybe looking to split it btw 2 players). If so, that indicates that we offered Rondo the 20% non-bird raise.

If it hard caps us, I don't see why it there's any possibility that it could have been the BAE this early in free agency because we still have to add Rondo, Cousins, Clark maybe and other FAs.

Why is it even being discussed as a possibility? Surely could only be the MLE then.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don' t think we can use a TPE for a FA signing. Guessing it has to be part of the TMLE (right at half of it, so maybe looking to split it btw 2 players). If so, that indicates that we offered Rondo the 20% non-bird raise.
    Correct. After looking at everything the only thing that makes sense is the Taxpayer MLE.

My assumption from the beginning is Rondo's offer was 120% of last year. Due to how many years he's played he probably is looking at something in the 3-4m range even for a minimum.

If it hard caps us, I don't see why it there's any possibility that it could have been the BAE this early in free agency because we still have to add Rondo, Cousins, Clark maybe and other FAs.

Why is it even being discussed as a possibility? Surely could only be the MLE then.
    Yes. I think it's very very unlikely it was the Bae.

Is the hard cap $123,733,000 for the coming season? Or is it the apron value of $129,817,000?

Is the hard cap $123,733,000 for the coming season?
    I'd have to look it up.

Decent laymans explanation of the cap here

https://cleaningtheglass.com/making-sense-of-the-cap/

Is the hard cap $123,733,000 for the coming season? Or is it the apron value of $129,817,000?
    Tax apron is always the hard cap (6 million above tax line)

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Tax apron is always the hard cap (6 million above tax line)
    The tax apron is the the difference betweeen the Luxury tax line & the hard cap. Certain parameters must be met to allow teams to maneuver within the Apron.

So are we gonna have only the Tax Payer MLE to use or the Non-Tax Payer MLE? (difference of 3 mil which is significant)

Or is like a fluid thing which changes depending on how close we get to the apron?
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.

So are we gonna have only the Tax Payer MLE to use or the Non-Tax Payer MLE? (difference of 3 mil which is significant)

Or is like a fluid thing which changes depending on how close we get to the apron?
    If we choose to use the non-taxpayer MLE, it hard caps us..

Pretty much every exception besides the TMLE hard caps a team

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    If we choose to use the non-taxpayer MLE, it hard caps us..

Pretty much every exception besides the TMLE hard caps a team
    Well it's been speculated that we've used some on Payton already and no reports of us being hard capped... so we've used some of the TMLE, therefore guaranteeing us to be a tax team.

Does that sound right?

Edit: Unless we shed salary to get us under tax later on... but if we have shed salary then wouldn't it be the non tax-payer MLE therefore then hard capping us at that time?

This is fun
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Get your head around this doozy

However, if a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception but does not exceed the constraints of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (e.g., in 2017-18 they use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to sign a player for $5.192 million or less), then the team is allowed to later exceed the Apron (i.e., it is not hard-capped). If the team later exceeds the Apron, then it is considered to have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. But the converse is not true -- if a team is above the Apron and spends any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, it cannot drop below the Apron and spend the remaining money as part of its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. Finally, a team that was above the Apron but did not spend any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception has full access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if it later drops below the Apron.

Well it's been speculated that we've used some on Payton already and no reports of us being hard capped... so we've used some of the TMLE, therefore guaranteeing us to be a tax team.

Does that sound right?

Edit: Unless we shed salary to get us under tax later on... but if we have shed salary then wouldn't it be the non tax-payer MLE therefore then hard capping us at that time?

This is fun
    You can still divide the TMLE among multiple players (we gave Payton approximately half of it)...

If we were to use the non tax MLE, then we are immediately hard capped and cannot exceed it at all, even if we have plans to shed salary later...

As long as you stay under the TMLE (I believe 5.7 this year), then you can do whatever you want, but if we sign someone for say 4 million on top of what we gave EP, then we are immediately hard capped for the season no matter what (hope that helps explain some)

Thread Information