Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elfrid Payton signs one year deal with New Orleans Pelicans.

Elfrid Payton signs one year deal with New Orleans Pelicans.

Damn. I like, but only if Rondo is back.

Please give him 1 year under Rondo and also magically fix his shooting.

Awesome!!hopefully we are able to bring back Rondo too

Hopefully a league minimum deal. Replaces Clark?

Love the Payton signing! Kid has so much talent he has yet to tap into at just 23 years old. He does everything Rondo does except he’s bigger, way more athletic, and actually plays defense. He is still years away from his prime with his best basketball ahead and coming into a situation far better then anywhere he has been. Payton played very good in his 44 games with the Magic last season before being traded to the Suns. Payton shot 52% FG and 37% from 3pt. If he can continue to shoot like that our back court is going to be fun to watch. Give me a young Payton who is only going to get better over an old Rondo who is on the decline. I will miss Rondo and believe he was a great asset to have around for our guys to learn from. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back to run the bench unit and help mentor Payton who is a similar player.

Just go watch this kid torch the Warriors last season with 29 points. He made huge improvements on his shot and looked like a different player. We now have the best defensive backcourt in the NBA. Gentry also happens to run a system that elevates PGs arguably better than anyone in the NBA.. This kid is going to win MIP award!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHwNUKeT5c
    Payton vs Warriors highlights
    29 points 8 rebounds 5 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7F0T5z5_39Q
    23 points 10 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsINWO5lcc
    Payton vs Hawks
    26 points 14 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpvjYAZukUU
    Payton 2016-2017 season highlights
    12.8 ppg 6.5 apg 4.7 rpg

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Love the signing. Perfect backup to Rondo and can start if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Love the Payton signing! Kid has so much talent he has yet to tap into at just 23 years old. He does everything Rondo does except he’s bigger, way more athletic, and actually plays defense. He is still years away from his prime with his best basketball ahead and coming into a situation far better then anywhere he has been. Payton played very good in his 44 games with the Magic last season before being traded to the Suns. Payton shot 52% FG and 37% from 3pt. If he can continue to shoot like that our back court is going to be fun to watch. Give me a young Payton who is only going to get better over an old Rondo who is on the decline. I will miss Rondo and believe he was a great asset to have around for our guys to learn from. Wouldn’t mind bringing him back to run the bench unit and help mentor Payton who is a similar player.

Just go watch this kid torch the Warriors last season with 29 points. He made huge improvements on his shot and looked like a different player. We now have the best defensive backcourt in the NBA. Gentry also happens to run a system that elevates PGs arguably better than anyone in the NBA.. This kid is going to win MIP award!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHwNUKeT5c
    29 points 8 rebounds 5 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7F0T5z5_39Q
    23 points 10 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsINWO5lcc
    Payton vs Hawks
    26 points 14 assists

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpvjYAZukUU
    Payton 2016-2017 season highlights
    12.8 ppg 6.5 apg 4.7 rpg
    He will be a backup to Rondo from everything I'm hearing so don't get excited about Rondo's departure just yet.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post
    He will be a backup to Rondo from everything I'm hearing so don't get excited about Rondo's departure just yet.

And rightfully so. This is the perfect scenario for Payton to learn from. Rondo is a veteran multi all star PG.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooKnight View Post

Not, not sure why hes so excited, EP will only be the starter is Rondo chooses to go somewhere else..

We wouldnt have done what we did in the playoffs without Rondo, sure he takes some regular season games off, but hes elite when it matters

I don’t buy into Rondo being on his last legs. If that were true (after what we saw him do in the playoffs) he would have had a HOF career.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hopefully a league minimum deal. Replaces Clark?
    I swear it's like Dell listens to me at times.

I had two moves I wanted us to make and this is one of em I've posted.

Back up Rondo?

I expect him to log more minutes than Rondo.

Rondo was invaluable last year. But our window is bigger than his and he's not the man to start n play our next 82 games and playoffs nor the next two or three seasons. I'd still like him around for his array of positive qualities but to hang w the big dawgs we needed to improve at PG JUST as much as other positions.... and it looks like elfrids ceiling IS going to be an improvement.

Rondo is going to be back, start for us and get around 20-26mpg so we can save him for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Not, not sure why hes so excited, EP will only be the starter is Rondo chooses to go somewhere else..

We wouldnt have done what we did in the playoffs without Rondo, sure he takes some regular season games off, but hes elite when it matters
    Youre right we wouldnt have done what we did. But he may have givin a gift that keeps on giving. It's possible he taught them how to be a professional, motivate one another, communicate like a team, study film, ect
    what have you and now those players can take what they learned and teach it to the new ones plus if cousins is back in the fold he can be the one to stand up to Draymond Green and such and believe you me and a seven-game series something's going to happen between them two

Deal reportedly 1 year/2.7mil

1. Agreed to a reported one-year, $2.7 million deal with guard Elfrid Payton

Amazingly, despite starting all 63 games he played last season, Payton will actually make less as an unrestricted free agent in 2018-19 than he did in the final year of his rookie contract ($3.3 million). The bottom fell out of Payton's market when the Suns decided not to tender him a qualifying offer. Given that the two teams looking for starting point guards in free agency this summer were Phoenix and the Orlando Magic, who traded Payton at the deadline, he was surely looking at offers to be a backup.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rprising-moves

Reduces the amount we can offer Boogie by a little

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Deal reportedly 1 year/2.7mil

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rprising-moves

Reduces the amount we can offer Boogie by a little
    That's only if we don't want to pay tax, which i think we're just going to have to get over the fact that we need to. Look at the talent pool in the West now. We can re-sign Boogie and Rondo and get some solid day 2 and 3 free agents and still compete for 6-8 seed next season.

My assumption is this fits into one of our trade exceptions that we have. If it's a 2.7m deal then it would fit inside of Qpon's trade exception. I have to check and see because I'm not sure we can use the Bi-Annual exception without hard capping ourselves.

Yes after looking it up I'm almost certain it can't be the Bi-Annual exception because that would hardcap us.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My assumption is this fits into one of our trade exceptions that we have. Maybe the Cunningham One. I have to check and see because I'm not sure we can use the Bi-Annual exception without hard capping ourselves.
    Last I saw on Spotrac (a while ago) we had 3.-something mill in exceptions, so yeah we could use some of that.

Edit: Here: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/cap/

My assumption is this fits into one of our trade exceptions that we have. Maybe the Cunningham One. I have to check and see because I'm not sure we can use the Bi-Annual exception without hard capping ourselves.
    We can we would just have to wait to officially sign Payton after Boogie and Rondo I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We can we would just have to wait to officially sign Payton after Boogie and Rondo I believe.
    Not if it was the Bi-Annual used. We couldn't use the exception if it brought us over the hard cap because the NBA calculates the signing after the fact not before to ensure we stay under the hardcap.

There is no possible way go use the Bi-Annual exception and not hard cap ourselves. Which is why I think it has to be for Qpon's exception. Or if the deal was for 2.3m instead it could fit insjde of Cunningham's Exception.

My assumption is this fits into one of our trade exceptions that we have. If it's a 2.7m deal then it would fit inside of Qpon's trade exception. I have to check and see because I'm not sure we can use the Bi-Annual exception without hard capping ourselves.

Yes after looking it up I'm almost certain it can't be the Bi-Annual exception because that would hardcap us.
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Last I saw on Spotrac (a while ago) we had 3.-something mill in exceptions, so yeah we could use some of that.

Edit: Here: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/cap/
    This is a signing though not a trade.

This is a signing though not a trade.
    Yes this is true. Then I'm not sure how we fit it in without hard capping ourselves.

Would have to be tax payer MLE but I'm not sure why they'd spend that on a 1 year deal. I will wait to see the official numbers first. I'm assuming Rondo's deal is using his rights to give him 120% of last years salary so we won't need any exception to sign him.

Assuming it was rhe taxpayer MLE and assuming it was for 2.7m that gives us roughly another 2.7m to be able to offer with the other half of the taxpayer MLE. This would keep us from trigger the hardcap.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-02-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Yes this is true. Then I'm not sure how we fit it in without hard capping ourselves.

Would have to be tax payer MLE but I'm not sure why they'd spend that on a 1 year deal. I will wait to see the official numbers first. I'm assuming Rondo's deal is using his rights to give him 120% of last years salary so we won't need any exception to sign him.
    It has to be just the timing of the deals, Payton will probably not "officially" be signed until a while.

It has to be just the timing of the deals, Payton will probably not "officially" be signed until a while.
    Timing is irrelevant with the Bi-Annual exception. It hard caps us. No way around it. Besides even if it didn't hardcap us we can only use the bi annual OR taxpayer MLE. Can't use both. Looking at all of our options this looks like we gave Payton almost exactly half of the taxpayer MLE. This leaves us with the other half we can offer another player.

Thread Information