Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

Portland is EXACTLY the type of team I could see becoming disillusioned and folding early due to LeBron and Boogie signings. Everyone was waiting out the warriors. Just like the AFC East has been waiting out the Pats in the NFL.

"Two more seasons and bug contracts will be due up, then it's our time!"

As these teams keep bringing in players on the cheap and defying Father Time, lesser teams like Portland or the Dolphins have to do mini rebuilds to try to get hot when the super team finally IS declining. All it takes is for Lillard to say a few more negative things and the super teams to break the Blazers' spirits and they could try to extend their rise.

There WILL be a team or two that caves under the pressure mid-season. Even in the East, Boston, Philly, and Toronto could dismay some teams. When those teams cave, some great players will be made available on clearance. I keep seeing sign/trade ideas but the value is waiting on the collapse......and hoping it's not us.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Portland is EXACTLY the type of team I could see becoming disillusioned and folding early due to LeBron and Boogie signings. Everyone was waiting out the warriors. Just like the AFC East has been waiting out the Pats in the NFL.

"Two more seasons and bug contracts will be due up, then it's our time!"

As these teams keep bringing in players on the cheap and defying Father Time, lesser teams like Portland or the Dolphins have to do mini rebuilds to try to get hot when the super team finally IS declining. All it takes is for Lillard to say a few more negative things and the super teams to break the Blazers' spirits and they could try to extend their rise.

There WILL be a team or two that caves under the pressure mid-season. Even in the East, Boston, Philly, and Toronto could dismay some teams. When those teams cave, some great players will be made available on clearance. I keep seeing sign/trade ideas but the value is waiting on the collapse......and hoping it's not us.
    Speaking of PORTLAND.
    Are the repeater tax team this season?

Love it if they need to offload Mo Harkless.

Restricted free-agent center Jusuf Nurkic has agreed to a four-year, $48 million deal to stay with the Portland Trail Blazers, a league source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The deal includes a partial guarantee in the fourth year.
    ESPN.com

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    ESPN.com
    That's a pretty cheap deal for Nurkic. Not sure his agent is all that good (seeing as how it is Boogie's agent who turned down $40 million for $5 million as well).

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Speaking of PORTLAND.
    Are the repeater tax team this season?

Love it if they need to offload Mo Harkless.
    No I believe they stretched Andrew Nicholson to get under the tax last season

Not sure if he could still play small forward or not, but I wish we would of looked at Jeff Green. He signed for the vet minimum and looked decent last year in Cleveland. I don’t know why but I always wanted Green. Guess cause I’ve always wanted any decent small forward out there. I hope we look at Rodney Hood. I think he would be an upgrade at the 3. If he’s still available I would like to bring another local guy here in Greg Monroe as well. He shouldn’t cost too much I would think. If we could get Hood and Monroe, I would be ecstatic.

Looking at Hoopshype’s top free agents, they had Julius Randle at 9 with Boogie at 5. They got Payton at 21 and Rondo at 27. I think Payton is gonna be an upgrade, but we will miss that veteran play though. They got Hood rated 31 and Monroe at 37.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Not sure if he could still play small forward or not, but I wish we would of looked at Jeff Green. He signed for the vet minimum and looked decent last year in Cleveland. I don’t know why but I always wanted Green. Guess cause I’ve always wanted any decent small forward out there. I hope we look at Rodney Hood. I think he would be an upgrade at the 3. If he’s still available I would like to bring another local guy here in Greg Monroe as well. He shouldn’t cost too much I would think. If we could get Hood and Monroe, I would be ecstatic.

Looking at Hoopshype’s top free agents, they had Julius Randle at 9 with Boogie at 5. They got Payton at 21 and Rondo at 27. I think Payton is gonna be an upgrade, but we will miss that veteran play though. They got Hood rated 31 and Monroe at 37.
    No way we can get Hood.. If we offer him the only contract we can, which is vet minimum, Cleveland would just match it

Monroe maybe gettable, just have to wait it out and see if he gets any offers above min

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Any picks ?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

no word on any picks yet that I see. so who knows.

Also didn't Biyombo play for CHA originally?

update: this trade is "agreed only in principle"
    Last edited by JunkHead; 07-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Somebody work out the details on that Ttade Machine thingy
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Did I just do this? Don't understand the not so subtle nuances of NBA trades. Would leave us even thinner at forward but what a duo leading the charge.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yas5lxd6

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Did I just do this? Don't understand the not so subtle nuances of NBA trades. Would leave us even thinner at forward but what a duo leading the charge.

I literally did the exact same trade. Did we just become best friends???

Hill, Ajinca, Moore, and a top 55 protected second round pick for Lillard. Call it in Dell. ��������

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post

Portland's GM would be fired on the spot.

Any word on Rodney Hood?

I’m hoping since he wasn’t all that great once he joined the Cavs, he could be had at a reasonable price. He would be a perfect fit here and finally give us a competent small forward IMO. I know he’s restricted, so if the Cavs want him they will keep him unless the price is too high for them. Hopefully Tyronne Lue has soured on him since he refused to go in that one playoff game. I know he couldn’t trust him for a while and was in the dog house, but eventually he put him in against the Warriors. He’s from Mississippi and I read he was a HUGE Saints fan. So if the money is close to what other teams are offering one would think he would choose us to be close to home & be a part of the brother/sister organization to the Saints. I hope we reached out to his agent, so they will let us know when/if he gets an offer so we could possibly offer the same or beat it.

Nine-year veteran forward Jonas Jerebko has been waived by the Utah Jazz two days before his $4.2 million salary for 2018-19 would have become guaranteed. Jerebko, who averaged 5.8 PPG in 74 games for Utah last season, plans to sign with the Golden State Warriors once he clears waivers, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
    Off course everyone is thinking to play for the Warriors... and some news about Booker :

Suns guard Devin Booker signed a five-year, $158 million maximum contract extension with Phoenix. The team announced the completion of the deal. Booker averaged 24.9 PPG for the Suns last season.
    ESPN.com

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    e news about Booker :

ESPN.com
    That Booker deal is gonna look rough in a few years, I think.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    I literally did the exact same trade. Did we just become best friends???
    Yes I need a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Portland's GM would be fired on the spot.
    I have no problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That Booker deal is gonna look rough in a few years, I think.
    LoL he is the 3rd best SG in the NBA behind Harden/Thompson and is not far away from being the best. A 21 year old 6’6 guard averaging 25 ppg/4 rpg/5 apg is worth every penny of $40 million and is actually a steal considering older players getting $40+ million. I don’t see how you could make a case in anyway that this deal will be “rough”..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    LoL he is the 3rd best SG in the NBA behind Harden/Thompson and is not far away from being the best. A 21 year old 6’6 guard averaging 25 ppg/4 rpg/5 apg is worth every penny of $40 million and is actually a steal considering older players getting $40+ million. I don’t see how you could make a case in anyway that this deal will be “rough”..
    He's not a top 3 shooting guard. He's not as good as Jimmy Butler (who is generally a shooting guard, although some consider him more of a small forward), and I'd take Derozan over him too. So he's the 5th best, and I'd say there's even contention with that considering Bradley Beal exists.

Devin Booker has a lot of potential, sure, and we all know he can score, but outside of a vacuum scoring ability isn't everything. I'm looking elsewhere in his game. His career best DRTG is 112. That's appalling. Opponents shot 1.4% better than their averages against him, and that actually makes him look slightly better than he is because somehow he defends the area between 15 feet and the three point line relatively well: if you only count 15 feet and in, opponents shoot 6.7% better than their averages against him.

Despite having a 25ppg season, his PER was 18.1, barely above league average. His TS% was 56%, which is above league average but only slightly, and that's helped by his very good FT%: his actual field goal percentage for his career is 42%, which isn't good by any means. He has a career 0.045 WS/48, and despite this 25/4/5, only actually had 2.4 win shares this last season. His usage rate was 32%. That's huge, the same as ADs career high, and to a much less impressive result.

Now, here's the important part: some of those stats (win shares, for example) are dependent on team success, and he hasn't really had any. Still, AD's first season we only won 27 games and he had 6.1 WS and a 104 DRTG, so there's only a limited extent to which you can blame his team for that. He is still 21, like you said. So it's possible that in three years time, he's 24/25 years old, his defense has picked up, his team is winning a little bit, his efficiency has risen to maybe 45% from the floor, etc etc, and I'll be wrong and his contract will actually look fine.

My reason for thinking it's going to look rough is that I don't really see Phoenix's rebuild paying off the way they want it to, and I don't see him fixing all the holes in his game in that time. I think in four years, they'll be sat with little success to show for it, Booker about to finish out his contract having not yet fixed those issues in his game at that point (he'll still only be young), and we'll all be wondering why this guy who's getting paid $40m is just solid.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he fixes all those things, and four years from now he's developed his game into an all around game, learned how to win a little, picked up his efficiency, and I'll look like an idiot, and I'll be happy for that because I don't really want him to fail because he seems like a nice guy. Just, when I watch him, I don't have that feeling, you know? And the stats thus far in his career support that feeling, despite the early status.

Who got 40 million?? Bookers extension was 5 year 158 million, so about 10 million less per year

Personally I think it's a steal for Phoenix, if they wouldnt pay him someone would have.. He would be the perfect guard for LA alongside Ball and LBJ
    Last edited by soggymoss; 07-08-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's not a top 3 shooting guard. He's not as good as Jimmy Butler (who is generally a shooting guard, although some consider him more of a small forward), and I'd take Derozan over him too. So he's the 5th best, and I'd say there's even contention with that considering Bradley Beal exists.

Devin Booker has a lot of potential, sure, and we all know he can score, but outside of a vacuum scoring ability isn't everything. I'm looking elsewhere in his game. His career best DRTG is 112. That's appalling. Opponents shot 1.4% better than their averages against him, and that actually makes him look slightly better than he is because somehow he defends the area between 15 feet and the three point line relatively well: if you only count 15 feet and in, opponents shoot 6.7% better than their averages against him.

Despite having a 25ppg season, his PER was 18.1, barely above league average. His TS% was 56%, which is above league average but only slightly, and that's helped by his very good FT%: his actual field goal percentage for his career is 42%, which isn't good by any means. He has a career 0.045 WS/48, and despite this 25/4/5, only actually had 2.4 win shares this last season. His usage rate was 32%. That's huge, the same as ADs career high, and to a much less impressive result.

Now, here's the important part: some of those stats (win shares, for example) are dependent on team success, and he hasn't really had any. Still, AD's first season we only won 27 games and he had 6.1 WS and a 104 DRTG, so there's only a limited extent to which you can blame his team for that. He is still 21, like you said. So it's possible that in three years time, he's 24/25 years old, his defense has picked up, his team is winning a little bit, his efficiency has risen to maybe 45% from the floor, etc etc, and I'll be wrong and his contract will actually look fine.

My reason for thinking it's going to look rough is that I don't really see Phoenix's rebuild paying off the way they want it to, and I don't see him fixing all the holes in his game in that time. I think in four years, they'll be sat with little success to show for it, Booker about to finish out his contract having not yet fixed those issues in his game at that point (he'll still only be young), and we'll all be wondering why this guy who's getting paid $40m is just solid.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he fixes all those things, and four years from now he's developed his game into an all around game, learned how to win a little, picked up his efficiency, and I'll look like an idiot, and I'll be happy for that because I don't really want him to fail because he seems like a nice guy. Just, when I watch him, I don't have that feeling, you know? And the stats thus far in his career support that feeling, despite the early status.
    A guy you concede is a top 5 shooting guard in the league is just solid? Sure, the advanced statistics you selectively decided to use could be utilized to paint his shortcomings as they exist now, even though, as you pointed out, those numbers are skewed by team success. But do they also support the position that he won't improve as a basketball player and become even more valuable to his team? To me, paying a 21 year old who is arguably a top 5 shooting guard already 30m per is a sensible investment, regardless of how the organization ultimately fills out the rest of the roster (though I am a huge Josh Jackson believer and Ayton could become a stud).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I'm tripping more off the fact that the new post-rookie Max is starting at $30M/year now. That's crazy

Thread Information