Pelicans Report

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Didn't feel like starting a new thread on this, but wanted to dump a quick thought on Pels and Free Agency...

If the Pelicans had a uniquely New Orleans in Arena vibe that promoted the culture of New Orleans, free agents across the NBA would get a routine dose of what makes New Orleans special. I'm talking second lines during timeouts, stick a brass band in the cheap seats and let them play during pauses, dim the lights the way the Lakers do, only local music, Mardi Gras Indians, a crazy Cajun dude with a live alligator who just stares at the opposing team during introductions...

Right now we "# do it really small" when it comes to representing what the City and this region really mean. Make it the most unique and fun place not only for fans, but make it something crazy and unique for opposing players. New Orleans isn't going to ever be a destination free agent market if we continue to position ourselves as 1 of 30 similar destination and compete on media size. People are attracted to New Orleans because it's nothing like any other place, and the Pelicans should start to embrace that if they want to resonate in the minds of 25 year old millionaires.

Lol this is why I enjoyed going to the voodoo games..part of the reason was that the atmosphere in the arena was like the team name and I think the team loved playing in the arena and the opposing team also........I also think the pelicans should have a second line band somewhere in the corner section at some games to turn up......

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Didn't feel like starting a new thread on this, but wanted to dump a quick thought on Pels and Free Agency...

If the Pelicans had a uniquely New Orleans in Arena vibe that promoted the culture of New Orleans, free agents across the NBA would get a routine dose of what makes New Orleans special. I'm talking second lines during timeouts, stick a brass band in the cheap seats and let them play during pauses, dim the lights the way the Lakers do, only local music, Mardi Gras Indians, a crazy Cajun dude with a live alligator who just stares at the opposing team during introductions...

Right now we "# do it really small" when it comes to representing what the City and this region really mean. Make it the most unique and fun place not only for fans, but make it something crazy and unique for opposing players. New Orleans isn't going to ever be a destination free agent market if we continue to position ourselves as 1 of 30 similar destination and compete on media size. People are attracted to New Orleans because it's nothing like any other place, and the Pelicans should start to embrace that if they want to resonate in the minds of 25 year old millionaires.
    Never going to happen with the turnout in the regular season. Good ideas but the additional cost for those logistically over 42 games could go to locker room upgrades including visiting teams too. This would show that ALL players are valued. Or that money could be spent on in game giveaways and ticket discounts. At the end of the day you have to fill the stadium. It's not a minor league baseball game, no need for gimmicks. Players want to be in an elite environment not a sideshow. You want people spending money during timeouts not 2nd lining.

I'd rather see the money go to architectural upgrades at the blender. Looks like an aquarium built in the early 90's or the outhouse of the dome...

Free agent forward Nemanja Bjelica has agreed to a one-year, $4.4 million deal with the Philadelphia 76ers, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Bjelica, 30, spent the past three seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
    ESPN.com

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    While all that may be nice for the fans (although it would have to be done right so as to not make it cartoonish if over the top), not sure it would be the deciding factor in a player coming to the Pelicans in free agency. I am sure most players know what New Orleans is about.
    Yea the players could care less for a second line or a brass band. Heck even a lot of fans who have tickets could care less to see that and it not even be something that brings you to a game much less sign here. I do wish we would dim the lights but if the dimmed lights don’t attract players to LA it definitely ain’t gonna to Nola. New Orleans is a great city and I love it but when you have $ like these guys a lot of cities are a lot of fun haha. I think something huge we did was building a state of the art practice facility which is more important then the stadium to players.

Main things I wished the Pelicans would do but would be more for the fans and not players. They could play better music with less of the annoying stuff they have now. Get a new lighting system that would darken the crowd. Encourage the fans to make it loud and dub ourselves as the “loudest” in the NBA with the Warriors like the Saints are to the Seahawks. IMO having the lights out would have people get a little more rowdy since there isn’t a spotlight on them for everyone to look at yelling. I guarantee just that little change would make for a much louder and crazier crowd. We need to make it more of a basketball atmosphere and cut out the circus music.

Some of that NO stuff can run them away too

Any chance to land Korver? We all know he's lights out and exactly what this team needs. His contract isn't bad either. Cavs shopping him around after making no use of him last season... Any chance?

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Hey is Kemba on the move. Looked at his Twitter account and his avatar and profile has no hornets stuff on it. Just older postings. I don't keep up with his account so it may always look like this

Quote Originally Posted by thisisowen View Post
    Any chance to land Korver? We all know he's lights out and exactly what this team needs. His contract isn't bad either. Cavs shopping him around after making no use of him last season... Any chance?
    Not sure. On one hand, he's 6'8, can play SF a bit, is one of the greatest snipers of all time, and is a high IQ player+ defender.

On the other hand, he's 37 and very physically limited at this point, and despite the high IQ of his defense, he isn't particularly good at it as a result of physical limitations. His contract isn't super small either. So I don't know. I love him as a player though.
    Basketball.

All I wanna see is pels move Ajinca, Hill, maybe Moore and get a player who can contribute as a starter. I would be thrilled for a wing. I love Moore but he was not a starting wing by any means. I would like to keep him but he is a decent trade asset as well.

Payton/frank
    Jrue/Clark/grits
    Niko/Moore/hill/Miller
    AD/Diallo
    Julius/okafor/Ajinca

Moore essentially is our 6th man in this scenario. So much on unproven shoulders who could ball out and be amazing like frank.

1 and 3 are where we need help now via free agency and trades. If we don't get a 3 we will need a 4 before the season starts.

Kemba and Batum for mirotic, hill, Moore, and Ajinca could work depending on how many years Batum has left.
    Last edited by wnelson; 07-05-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    All I wanna see is pels move Ajinca, Hill, maybe Moore and get a player who can contribute as a starter. I would be thrilled for a wing. I love Moore but he was not a starting wing by any means. I would like to keep him but he is a decent trade asset as well.

Payton/frank
    Jrue/Clark/grits
    Niko/Moore/hill/Miller
    AD/Diallo
    Julius/okafor/Ajinca

Moore essentially is our 6th man in this scenario. So much on unproven shoulders who could ball out and be amazing like frank.

1 and 3 are where we need help now via free agency and trades. If we don't get a 3 we will need a 4 before the season starts.

Kemba and Batum for mirotic, hill, Moore, and Ajinca could work depending on how many years Batum has left.
    If Dell traded Moore and Niko and took back Batum's contract, I'd send him a very rude letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If Dell traded Moore and Niko and took back Batum's contract, I'd send him a very rude letter.
    I just looked at his contract details. Thought it leveled out and I thought it had one less year. Wow Charlotte is very generous.

I just looked at his contract details. Thought it leveled out and I thought it had one less year. Wow Charlotte is very generous.
    It might well be the worst contract in the league. In strong competition for a top 3 worst contract of the last five years.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    It might well be the worst contract in the league. In strong competition for a top 3 worst contract of the last five years.
    Agreed ! But can you say RYAN ANDERSON? At least Batum is on the court sometimes. Lol.

A fun trade idea is Moore, Niko and hill for Hayward. They get 2 good players and a potential flex/buyout and we take the risk of getting damaged goods. We would definitely need to sign a 4 in free agency then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Agreed ! But can you say RYAN ANDERSON? At least Batum is on the court sometimes. Lol.
    Does Ryno cap around 28mil? I mean Batum is a perineal allstar by his paycheck.

Anderson has played in 138 games over the last two seasons. Batum has played 141.

I was hoping we would give Ryan Broekhoff a contract. He is Joe Ingles like. He is on Dallas now 2.4 million 2 year deal only first year guaranteed.
    UGH

Anderson has played in 138 games over the last two seasons. Batum has played 141.
    I realize you're trying to be contrary. Your argument is specious on its base. Let's consider- If Batum is healthy, will he start, will he play starters minutes? Yes & Yes ! If Anderson is healthy will he play more than mop up minutes? The answer is NO. Thus, Batums contract can still be made much less nauseating by him playing the next 3 yrs. Ryne Anderson is gonna have splinters in Arse ! Healthy or NOT.

Chandler Parsons would like a word...

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINION View Post
    I was hoping we would give Ryan Broekhoff a contract. He is Joe Ingles like. He is on Dallas now 2.4 million 2 year deal only first year guaranteed.
    UGH
    Wow Broekhoff made it? All he can really do is shoot and he is pretty lights out, but he's not a slashing SF like Ingles. He doesn't have much craftiness to his game

At least that's what I've observed from him playing for Australia
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-05-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Another specious argument, with a bit of conflation involved. If Batum is healthy, he plays starter minutes. If Anderson is healthy, he still keeping SEAT 11 warm. We're not basing this on what Batum is worth. We are comparing the disaster relief possibilities for Anderson & Batum. I would feel better about paying Batum than Anderson on this situation. I mean- if Anderson can't play more than 11 minutes in the entire playoffs for Houston (a team that FITS Andersons only contributive attribute ) Well, he can't play for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Wow Broekhoff made it? All he can really do is shoot, he's not a slashing SF like Ingles
    Yeah, Ingles is a big PITA off the ball. He's constantly cutting & moving. He works is butt off to get open. I'd take Ingles.

I realize you're trying to be contrary. Your argument is specious on its base. Let's consider- If Batum is healthy, will he start, will he play starters minutes? Yes & Yes ! If Anderson is healthy will he play more than mop up minutes? The answer is NO. Thus, Batums contract can still be made much less nauseating by him playing the next 3 yrs. Ryne Anderson is gonna have splinters in Arse ! Healthy or NOT.
    I'm not trying to be contrary. Anderson has been plagued with injury and DNP's, everyone knows that. The reality is, so has Batum. They've missed similar amounts of games, and Anderson averages 28mpg for Houston over the last two seasons. Yes, that decreases as the season wears on, and vanishes in the playoffs, but it's not too dissimilar to Batum. Batum has played only 3 more games over the last two years, and only averaged 32mpg; 4mpg more. Yes, that's a big difference and is the difference between 6th man and starter in many cases, but let's not pretend like Batum is some kind of iron man who plays 40mpg whereas Anderson only plays garbage time.

I'm not trying to be contrary. Anderson has been plagued with injury and DNP's, everyone knows that. The reality is, so has Batum. They've missed similar amounts of games, and Anderson averages 28mpg for Houston over the last two seasons. Yes, that decreases as the season wears on, and vanishes in the playoffs, but it's not too dissimilar to Batum. Batum has played only 3 more games over the last two years, and only averaged 32mpg; 4mpg more. Yes, that's a big difference and is the difference between 6th man and starter in many cases, but let's not pretend like Batum is some kind of iron man who plays 40mpg whereas Anderson only plays garbage time.
    Where are your strawmen coming from? I never PRETENDED anything of the sort. Andersons reason for not playing is NOT because of injury.He's NOT wanted because he's not any good. He's been trade bait or cap relief target . He is not in their plans & will not play. So, going forward, there is NOWAY that you would rather be eating Andersons contract than Barums. Both contracts suck, but Batum will get a chance to make his contract more palpable if healthy. Anderson can be healthy & he's still sitting on the pines.

Where are your strawmen coming from? I never PRETENDED anything of the sort. Andersons reason for not playing is NOT because of injury.He's NOT wanted because he's not any good. He's been trade bait or cap relief target . He is not in their plans & will not play. So, going forward, there is NOWAY that you would rather be eating Andersons contract than Barums. Both contracts suck, but Batum will get a chance to make his contract more palpable if healthy. Anderson can be healthy & he's still sitting on the pines.
    It's not a strawman at all. You said, ''If Anderson is healthy will he play more than mop up minutes? The answer is NO. Thus, Batums contract can still be made much less nauseating by him playing the next 3 yrs.''

Well they've played roughly the same number of games over the last two seasons, and they play roughly the same number of minutes per game. If Anderson is healthy, he's very much not ''sitting on the pines'', he's playing barely 4mpg less than Batum does!

Thread Information