Pelicans Report

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Vet mins dont count against the cap
    Yes they do. Just vets with a certain amount of years experience count at a reduced amount. But they still count.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes they do. Just vets with a certain amount of years experience count at a reduced amount. But they still count.
    Wait did I mean you can be over the cap but still sign them?

Yes you can sign a player to a minimum contract while over the cap (the minimum player exemption)

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I had a feeling Schroeder's name would come up.

Not who I want most. But he's acquirable. But I'd rather go after Taurean Prince. Get a young player with something to his game but hasn't shown out yet...

Only real flaw is he's already 24 and hasn't performed particularly well. Just average.

Yes. I think the actual title is minimum exception. As long as you have the roster space and you are not hard capped and signing the player would put you over the hard cap then you can sign them for the minimum.

What about signing Isaiah Thomas to replace Rondo?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyF View Post
    Please no.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyF View Post
    After everything that's came out about him, no thanks.

I'd lie if I said Schroder didn't intrigue me. But doesn't he play a similar offensive game to Jrue?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    After everything that's came out about him, no thanks.

I'd lie if I said Schroder didn't intrigue me. But doesn't he play a similar offensive game to Jrue?
    Real talk, what’s happened with Thomas? I haven’t read anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post

He is a less talented (and smaller Gilbert Arenas). He doesn’t fit in with his surroundings, and he is coming off a hip injury. He needs a prove it deal to get back on top.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If you find a way to pry Schroeder from Atlanta you are getting nothing like what you are getting from Jrue. Schröder is 6’1, a pass first pg who will get his if nobody else is. He has had anything but a “contract year” career. You are looking at getting a player who (at 24) is on his way up. He has the potential to be CP3 if he got the right coaching. If you pry him away from ATL you can run he, Jrue, and Payton, with Morotic and AD up front, and you would do very well in a fast paced system. The very thought of him playing here gives me chills.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    https://youtu.be/3KgDsPUreuE

Randle is very good on defense. Wow. He can guard any position! And he looks solid in transition. What do y’all think? I don’t think we need a SF. Let’s put him at SF. We just need to add more shooting

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

This is another move I would be very happy with. Only 24 years old and coming off a 20 ppg and 6 apg season. He has had a terrible team around him and would be in a much better situation here. Just playing with AD you could add 2 more apg to his stats. Schroder is the perfect compliment to Jrue as well and would give us one of the best backcourts in the NBA. It looks like they aren’t asking much for him and wouldn’t cost any of our big assets. This would still allow us to go out and snag a SF. I think similar to the Mirotic trade we could send out Hill and some 2nd round picks instead of a 1st to acquire. They drafted Trae Young and want to get out of Schroeders 3 year deal which Hill allows them to do. They get a solid wing which is a need and are only locked in for 2 years. If his 3 point shot gets better you are talking a potential 24ppg/8apg PG as he improves and enters the prime of his career. Adding Schroeder along with say someone like Barnes and this is a team I think could give the Warriors a run. Kid scored 41 points against the Jazz last season. Would love to see him in Gentry’s system playing with Jrue and AD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smc8L1FWlZA
    Schroder vs Jazz scoring 41 points and made the game winning shot.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-05-2018 at 04:36 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post

Try reading this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-team-meeting

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If you find a way to pry Schroeder from Atlanta you are getting nothing like what you are getting from Jrue. Schröder is 6’1, a pass first pg who will get his if nobody else is. He has had anything but a “contract year” career. You are looking at getting a player who (at 24) is on his way up. He has the potential to be CP3 if he got the right coaching. If you pry him away from ATL you can run he, Jrue, and Payton, with Morotic and AD up front, and you would do very well in a fast paced system. The very thought of him playing here gives me chills.
    Well damn. I'm in. I saw him in the playoffs and he was playing lights out too. Would be nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    This is another move I would be very happy with. Only 24 years old and coming off a 20 ppg and 6 apg season. He has had a terrible team around him and would be in a much better situation here. Just playing with AD you could add 2 more apg to his stats. Schroder is the perfect compliment to Jrue as well and would give us one of the best backcourts in the NBA. It looks like they aren’t asking much for him and wouldn’t cost any of our big assets. This would still allow us to go out and snag a SF. I think similar to the Mirotic trade we could send out Hill and some 2nd round picks instead of a 1st to acquire. They drafted Trae Young and want to get out of Schroeders 3 year deal which Hill allows them to do. They get a solid wing which is a need and are only locked in for 2 years. If his 3 point shot gets better you are talking a potential 24ppg/8apg PG as he improves and enters the prime of his career. Adding Schroeder along with say someone like Barnes and this is a team I think could give the Warriors a run. Kid scored 41 points against the Jazz last season. Would love to see him in Gentry’s system playing with Jrue and AD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smc8L1FWlZA
    Schroder vs Jazz scoring 41 points and made the game winning shot.
    The big issue with Schroder is the off the court stuff. He has pending felony charges and has been said to be a bad teammate in the lockerroom (a "me first'type of player).

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I'd rather have Kemba. Moneywise and basketballwise

Is he really a pass first guy ? Averages less assists than Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I had a feeling Schroeder's name would come up.

Not who I want most. But he's acquirable. But I'd rather go after Taurean Prince. Get a young player with something to his game but hasn't shown out yet...

Only real flaw is he's already 24 and hasn't performed particularly well. Just average.
    Maybe looking at Dennis and Prince for solo AA pick. ?

Prince would be part of their rebuild

Just dying over here for a rumour or that we signed someone it's sad lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Didn't feel like starting a new thread on this, but wanted to dump a quick thought on Pels and Free Agency...

If the Pelicans had a uniquely New Orleans in Arena vibe that promoted the culture of New Orleans, free agents across the NBA would get a routine dose of what makes New Orleans special. I'm talking second lines during timeouts, stick a brass band in the cheap seats and let them play during pauses, dim the lights the way the Lakers do, only local music, Mardi Gras Indians, a crazy Cajun dude with a live alligator who just stares at the opposing team during introductions...

Right now we "# do it really small" when it comes to representing what the City and this region really mean. Make it the most unique and fun place not only for fans, but make it something crazy and unique for opposing players. New Orleans isn't going to ever be a destination free agent market if we continue to position ourselves as 1 of 30 similar destination and compete on media size. People are attracted to New Orleans because it's nothing like any other place, and the Pelicans should start to embrace that if they want to resonate in the minds of 25 year old millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Didn't feel like starting a new thread on this, but wanted to dump a quick thought on Pels and Free Agency...

If the Pelicans had a uniquely New Orleans in Arena vibe that promoted the culture of New Orleans, free agents across the NBA would get a routine dose of what makes New Orleans special. I'm talking second lines during timeouts, stick a brass band in the cheap seats and let them play during pauses, dim the lights the way the Lakers do, only local music, Mardi Gras Indians, a crazy Cajun dude with a live alligator who just stares at the opposing team during introductions...

Right now we "# do it really small" when it comes to representing what the City and this region really mean. Make it the most unique and fun place not only for fans, but make it something crazy and unique for opposing players. New Orleans isn't going to ever be a destination free agent market if we continue to position ourselves as 1 of 30 similar destination and compete on media size. People are attracted to New Orleans because it's nothing like any other place, and the Pelicans should start to embrace that if they want to resonate in the minds of 25 year old millionaires.
    While all that may be nice for the fans (although it would have to be done right so as to not make it cartoonish if over the top), not sure it would be the deciding factor in a player coming to the Pelicans in free agency. I am sure most players know what New Orleans is about.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

I've been to NOLA for work and play and I absolutely love the town. You are right, there is no other place like it. Would love your suggestions to be made reality

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    While all that may be nice for the fans (although it would have to be done right so as to not make it cartoonish if over the top), not sure it would be the deciding factor in a player coming to the Pelicans in free agency. I am sure most players know what New Orleans is about.
    "The cool factor" isn't something we overlook in economic development pitches, nor is it something that goes unrecognized by site selectors. Not saying it would be the deciding factor, but it's an advantage we don't leverage, and when you're a small market team you should be leveraging every advantage you have. These are under 30, predominately African American, multi millionaires... this should be a grand slam if the Pelicans positioned New Orleans culture at the forefront of NBA players minds. They could also do a better job of using local celebrities as cultural ambassadors.

None of this is going to be the deciding factor, obviously. Culture and authenticity are frequently mentioned by millennials in the workforce in surveys on how they choose a place to live. These dudes are only outside the norm because every NBA city tries to conform. Hell, they're called franchises for a reason. But you don't visit or choose NOLA for franchises, you do so because it's unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I've been to NOLA for work and play and I absolutely love the town. You are right, there is no other place like it. Would love your suggestions to be made reality
    We should be trying to get every visiting player to say things like, "Man, I love when we play in New Orleans." or "Dude, that place is crazy! It's definitely a different vibe in that arena."

Thread Information