Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans interested in Hood?

Would dumping AA and solo be worth next yrs 1?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Would dumping AA and solo be worth next yrs 1?
    For Hood? Hell no. At least Solo will give you solid D each night. Hood gives you no D and is inconsistent as hell offenisvely

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Ugh... sometimes I wish we had a regular hard cap instead of this dynasty enabler soft cap trying to keep up with the Warriors being allowed to under-pay players their worth. I really hate this Super Team/Top 5 players taking Paycut Era.

Really wish they start establishing a pay floor for certain players that can't take pay cuts in their prime. Shouldn't be allowed for Klay Thompson to willing 50 million pay cut to stay with the Luxury Tax Warriors. Looks bad for the NBAPA.
    How do you even conceive of a floor and what tangibles do you even tie it to?

I don't think that would ever be practical

Can someone explain FA for the Pels.

Can we sign players then sign DMC and Rondo, if so how much $$ do we have to use.

How much $$/exceptions (roughly) do we have to use if we sign DMC/Rondo as soon as FA opens.

Anything else worth adding.

I'm under the impression that we have 8.5m roughly in non tax payer exception, a Bi annual exception and something else to spend. Of which Rondo will take up some. If we spend that then we can re-sign Cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    For Hood? Hell no. At least Solo will give you solid D each night. Hood gives you no D and is inconsistent as hell offenisvely
    No I meant in general

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Where is GA at during all of this?

I would make this move in a heartbeat. Hood would be an instant upgrade to whatever we have currently manning that 3 spot. He is still young, so he can grow with our current BIG 3.
    Haha I’m here!! I make this move in a heartbeat as well!! Best thing that ever could have happened for us is Hood getting traded to the Cavs.. I really think the Cavs destroyed his huge payday he was set up for and IMO he’s going to take a 1-2 year deal to set himself up again. Very possible he still gets paid big since it only takes 2 teams to drive that price up but I don’t see the years being there. Hood is such a good fit for what we need and he’s only going to get better as he’s just entering the prime of his career. You add Hood and Boogie to our team in this years playoffs against the Warriors and I really believe we could have beat them or atleast made it a series. If we can have Frank Jackson step up and be a contributor as well then this team is a 55+ win team landing a top 4 seed in the West.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-29-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    Hood is 6’8” with a 6’8” wingspan. So, he’s limited on defense and wouldn’t solve our issue of guarding larger wings. I’d still like him on the team. Maybe it would be appealing for him to be closer to home (Mississippi).
    I don’t agree with this at all. Hood has been a very solid defender during with the Jazz and would be a huge upgrade here. Would you say Jimmy Butler is limited and wouldn’t solve our issue guarding larger wings? I don’t think so! Butler has a wingspan that is 6’7.5” while Hood was at 6’8.5”.. not saying he is on Butlers level defensively but his wingspan isn’t going to be what holds him back. Hood has everything he needs to be a very good defender as he was with the Jazz at times. Hood reminds me a lot of a cross between Butler/Barnes and I believe he has the potential to get on the same level as these guys. Scoring 15-18 ppg while shooting 40% from 3 and playing good defense is exactly what we need on the wing. The Pelicans would be a great fit for Hood to showcase his skill set as a two way player. I really believe this move would put us 1 good bench player away from being serious contenders and that 1 player we need could already be here with Frank Jackson.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-29-2018 at 03:57 AM.

My early prediction if Hood signs with the Pelicans is he will win the MIP award. This kid is very under rated and when everything starts to click in the right situation!? Watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    Can someone explain FA for the Pels.

Can we sign players then sign DMC and Rondo, if so how much $$ do we have to use.

How much $$/exceptions (roughly) do we have to use if we sign DMC/Rondo as soon as FA opens.

Anything else worth adding.

I'm under the impression that we have 8.5m roughly in non tax payer exception, a Bi annual exception and something else to spend. Of which Rondo will take up some. If we spend that then we can re-sign Cousins?
    As of right now we have the taxpayer MLE to use. We cant use the bi-annual exemption, nor the non taxpayer MLE because that will hardcap us and keep us from being able to re-sign Boogie (assuming we cant shed alot of salary)

So pretty much Pels FA will consist of re-signing Boogie using his bird rights, signing Rondo with the taxpayer MLE, then trades and minimum contracts

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    My early prediction if Hood signs with the Pelicans is he will win the MIP award. This kid is very under rated and when everything starts to click in the right situation!? Watch out!
    I would love it and I think he’s the ideal wing we’ve been missing for years. However, I’m not sure we can afford him unless Dell somehow gets rid of Solo and AA. But I believe we are legit contenders with Rondo, Holiday, Hood,AD and Boogie with a bench of Moore, Miller, and Mirotic in the playoffs.

Brother, are you not worried about his inconsistencies? That's my major flaw with Hood, he can be really good, then really bad. Also his defense is not the best.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I don’t agree with this at all. Hood has been a very solid defender during with the Jazz and would be a huge upgrade here. Would you say Jimmy Butler is limited and wouldn’t solve our issue guarding larger wings? I don’t think so! Butler has a wingspan that is 6’7.5” while Hood was at 6’8.5”.. not saying he is on Butlers level defensively but his wingspan isn’t going to be what holds him back. Hood has everything he needs to be a very good defender as he was with the Jazz at times. Hood reminds me a lot of a cross between Butler/Barnes and I believe he has the potential to get on the same level as these guys. Scoring 15-18 ppg while shooting 40% from 3 and playing good defense is exactly what we need on the wing. The Pelicans would be a great fit for Hood to showcase his skill set as a two way player. I really believe this move would put us 1 good bench player away from being serious contenders and that 1 player we need could already be here with Frank Jackson.
    Did he look serviceable defensively with Utah just because their team was so good defensively? Because he looked terrible and not interested in playing defense in Cleveland.

Inconsistencies or not. He would still be the best small forward this team has had in over 5 years. I would take inconsistency and solid defense, over consistently getting a net negative at the small forward position like the Pels have in previous seasons. It's time to actually get together a legit staring five for AD23 here in Nola, before it is too late. If that takes a 1st round pick to dump off contracts to complete this team, get it done Dell. This organization plans to be in the pick ranges of 20-30 for the foreseeable future. For this to happen, the Pels need ballers not rookies from the end of the first round. If the Pelicans come to a decision where Cousins leaves for nothing, keeping the pick may make more sense.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I’ve heard we are very interested in a multi year deal with Hood.

Love the player, but I want to know at what price.

Isn't Hood more of a shooting guard than a sf?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    This was just posted on Twitter by LeigonHoopsRoss

Sources: The Pelicans and restricted free agent Rodney Hood have discussed a multi-year contract. NOLA is seeking a scoring wing.
    No clue who that is but I hear something similar. It would have to be a S&T obviously. I think with all these rumors lately it shows that we aren’t done making moves. I like it.

Sweet Christmas.

Funny to see Hood and Boogie in the past posts here...

But ya isnt he a SG? Would we put Jrue on most SF's on defense? How would he fit?

Also, does it work if we keep Hill too? Hood/ Moore/ Hill?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    Also, does it work if we keep Hill too? Hood/ Moore/ Hill?
    I think if it’s a sign and trade the Cavs would want expiring. I’m hoping it’s an 8-10 million deal and Ajinca, liggins, okafor, and a second can do the trick (plus a couple million cash). The Cavs could keep Ajinca till the deadline (pocketing the cash) then trade him again and prob get another second.

It be awesome if he cost the same as Randle, then no bad feeling that Randle could have gotten more in a sign and trade.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 07-10-2018 at 09:21 PM.

I have no idea but could we use one of the exceptions we have to take back more salary than we send out? Or is that not an option due to being hardcapped?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm conflicted on Hood.

That's the sum of my whole opinion on him.

Edit: I have to feel like the chief reason we're after Hood is because I remember he absolutely lit us up when he was still on the Jazz.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 07-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Pelicans interested in Hood?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm conflicted on Hood.

Edit: I have to feel like the chief reason we're after Hood is because I remember he absolutely lit us up when he was still on the Jazz.
    I’m with you. On one hand, he is probably the best SF we have had since Ariza. On the other, he could be one of the best sparks off the bench in the league. With that said, i say we get him for a multi year bench player contract and go hard after Jimmy Butler at the deadline or in free agency. We need to go big. Hill should have been signed as a bench player in the first place and we can’t make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm conflicted on Hood.

DITTO!! Having said that, think he is usable, but not for more then 5 mil per

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I’m with you. On one hand, he is probably the best SF we have had since Ariza. On the other, he could be one of the best sparks off the bench in the league. With that said, i say we get him for a multi year bench player contract and go hard after Jimmy Butler at the deadline or in free agency. We need to go big. Hill should have been signed as a bench player in the first place and we can’t make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We need a like button or an agree/disagree selection. I completely agree with this statement. Get Hood and start him for now and at the trade deadline go get Butler.

Hood has size, athleticism, and shooting all needs at the sf position.

Thread Information