Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: How about Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I think this has been covered to death!

1. He doesn't want to come off the bench, so why would we want him taking shots away from Jrue and AD in the starting lineup?
    2. He won't be coming to a non contender.
    3. If he doesn't get the playing time he would disrupt the locker room.
    I agree except for 3 because you could just cut him.

On the off chance he ends up willing to come in on a min deal, you do it all day.

Plus its the off season and we need something to talk about...

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    But for the league minimum you just cut him loose or make him ride the bench if he sucks as bad as you think he will.

For the minimum or even slightly above he would be worth it in spades, especially if he agrees to come in and just play off of AD and Jrue.

He certainly isn't worth a large salary but he is at least as good as Moore and probably better than Miller. So, for a minimal salary it would be a great signing.

A lot of people, not necessarily you, made these same arguments about Rondo last year. Such as fit and lack of shooting in Rondo's case. That worked out fine. Why not Melo?
    https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...-feel-im-ready

That's kind of the whole point, of what I've been saying. Here's his quote about coming off the bench from an interview done 6 days ago:

"I know how to play this game of basketball,” he said. “I’ve been playing it for a long time. When I feel like I’m ready to take that role, then I’ll take that role. Only I know when it’s best for me to take that role. I’m not going to do that in a situation where I still know my capabilities and what I can do."

So even after his worst year as a pro he reiterated his thoughts he had from back in April just a few days ago. *HE* knows what's best and he's only going to do what he thinks, not what the coaching staff or team think is best. Again, 6 days ago he said this stuff.

This is a completely different situation than Rondo because Rondo is a pass first PG, which is ideal for a Gentry system. Melo is an iso ball player who stops ball movement. They aren't comparable. The fits are completely different.

Why would we even bring in a guy who at his best is counter to our entire offensive philosophy and at his worst will be a malcontent and a locker room issue if he is used in any type of role that he doesn't agree with until we are at the point we have to cut him? Why even risk it? Because he used to be a really good player? He doesn't fit our core, he doesn't fit our offensive system, he has made it clear he's not doing anything unless he thinks it's the best for him, and he has been on the decline for years along with just having his worst year ever. Why not use that roster spot on a guy we could try and develop?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd take Lebron, Bird, Pippen, Durant, Kawhi, Dr J, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, Rick Barry, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Paul Pierce, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Drexler, healthy Grant Hill, and probably even Paul George over him.
    Peja Stojakovic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Why would we even bring in a guy who at his best is counter to our entire offensive philosophy and at his worst will be a malcontent and a locker room issue if he is used in any type of role that he doesn't agree with until we are at the point we have to cut him? Why even risk it? Because he used to be a really good player? He doesn't fit our core, he doesn't fit our offensive system, he has made it clear he's not doing anything unless he thinks it's the best for him, and he has been on the decline for years along with just having his worst year ever. Why not use that roster spot on a guy we could try and develop?
    Because talent wins in the league and adding talent usually doesn't hurt, especially when you have a gaping hole at small forward.

Moore did play the 3 spot admirably last year but I think Melo would be an upgrade if, and its a big if, if you can get him to buy into the system and move the ball.

I think he would be starting if he came here though.

But I digress, because he isn't coming anyway.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/08/0...ouston-rockets

After reading this, I look forward to Melo helping us move past the Rockets and winning the division next year!

Edited to add: He is expected to sign with the Rockets. Thus helping us pass them by sucking.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 08-01-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Moore did play the 3 spot admirably last year but I think Melo would be an upgrade if, and its a big if, if you can get him to buy into the system and move the ball.
    Right. That's my whole point. There is no evidence he would or ever will buy into an offensive system in the NBA that didn't make him a focal point. Actually his comments from 6 days ago make it clear he is still very much about himself.

Right. That's my whole point. There is no evidence he would or ever will buy into an offensive system in the NBA that didn't make him a focal point. Actually his comments from 6 days ago make it clear he is still very much about himself.
    Can we just trade for Butler already? Sheesh

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I doubt Melo is interested in the pelicans. I think we need to get serious about Rodney Hood or Bazemore. Who would y’all prefer out of these two guys? I think Hood is a really good fit and is clutch. He scores all over the place and could cause match up problems for many teams. Imagine having him on the court with Moore, Jrue AD Niko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we just trade for Butler already? Sheesh
    I'd be on board for this.

I'd be on board for this.
    Yeah, I'd take that too.
    Basketball.

God could you imagine Butler and Jrue on the same team? That's 2 top 5 two-way players in the league.

God could you imagine Butler and Jrue on the same team? That's 2 top 5 two-way players in the league.
    Jrue, Butler, and AD would be the best defensive core in the league, with pretty much no real competition. AD is (in my mind, despite the robbery) a DPOY, and Jrue/Butler are two of the absolute best perimeter/on ball defenders in the league. Nobody would be scoring against us.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Melo will listen to AD. I still remember that 2012 Olympics, AD said Melo was the main one who took him under his wing.
    Hmm...does this mean that AD is definite to sign the supermax extension?

Thread Information