Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How about Melo?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm genuinely confused as to whether or not you read my post, or whether you just decided you knew what it said beforehand and went off top.

''Show me one quote where Melo said he wants to be the guy''. I don't need to, players say all kinds of things, what matters is what they put out onto the court. Melo has only taken less than 18 shots per game 3 times in his career: his first two years, and this last season, in which he was totally unhappy and played like it. It doesn't matter what he says, it matters what he does and what he does is shoot 18+ times a game, or mope.
    So it is pure speculation on your end? Even though he stated clearly why it did not work out and why he was not happy, you know better right? So on those Knicks teams who else was supposed to take shots, Ron Baker? Lance Thomas? Melo never complained about shots, he complained about an undefined role and direction.

I'm not getting into the CP conversation wasnt meant for an added debate. We're talking about $40M vs $2M, apples and oranges. I was just pointing out that players are still considered to be playing at a high level at this age. It's not like his game ever relied on athleticism.

But you can't have it both ways: in OKC, his numbers were terrible because he was just asked to stand on the block or the corner with no scheme, and that means it's not his fault. Okay. So why does he also get no blame for when he's in New York and he was allowed to do**whatever he wantedoffensively the majority of the time?**
    The Knicks teams were terrible. Teams game planned against him, he had no help. And he still played well. He was an allstar every single year he was there.
    In OKC his numbers were terrible FOR HIS STANDARD. His numbers were still better than 85% of the small forwards in the League.

It's crazy no one can make an argument for either team, but can make every argument against Melo. Like no one is saying "Knicks was a great situation he should've thrived!" All I am hearing is "yeah Knicks sucked but he could do what he want, why he didnt thrive?!"
    Or no one is saying "Westbrook is one of the best playmakers in the league and Billy Donovan has the best offensive schemes, he should've thrived!" Nah, all I'm hearing is "Well he was asked to stand in the corner or on the block, why didnt he thrive?!" As if those are awesome instructions and a professional game plan.

i recognise he has, when he has been given free reign to shoot as much as he likes whenever he likes, been able to score. My point is that his scoring ability hasn't been what it once was for a long time, and what it is now is no longer the very best of the best. Which it isn't. He is no longer a good enough scorer to off-set all the other holes in his game.**
    Up until last summer, Melo was considered a top 20 player by every major network and analyst. But he hasnt been among the very best for a long time? Again these narratives have no basis at all.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...?noredirect=on

What are these other holes in his game? He's a decent defender, okay. What else?

Let's put it this way... If melo comes here I wouldn't be too upset. He ain't coming to New Orleans for the same reason we missed out on Monroe. I think melo wants to be a rocket and for the min he will be. I think Monroe wanted to be a Celtic and he was one.

If we got melo I think he would have some growing pains and body language issues. He has not been nor will he ever be a champion because he lacks a winning attitude much like boogie who may be a land mine in the Warriors locker room. So I want melo to go to Houston and decay their chemistry.
    Last edited by wnelson; 08-01-2018 at 03:10 PM.

if melo stopped playing iso ball and welcomed whatever role asked of him he would be an asset to any team. His pride won't allow that until it does.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    How is he a terrible fit in Gentry's system? He's an absolute offensive weapon, he can shoot from mid range and 3, score on anybody, play in the post, facilitate.
    I feel like this post really epitomizes exactly how much you lack an understanding of Gentry's system while at the same time idolizing a version of Melo that doesn't exist anymore.

What are these other holes in his game? He's a decent defender, okay. What else?
    So it is pure speculation on your end? Even though he stated clearly why it did not work out and why he was not happy, you know better right? Okay sure, you're right. We can trust Melo to give an objective evaluation of Melo's performance. He was never going to say it was his fault, regardless of what happened because it is not in his best interests to do so. There aren't many people who will willingly make themselves look worse, on purpose. Come on.

So on those Knicks teams who else was supposed to take shots, Ron Baker? Lance Thomas? Kristaps Porzingis?

I was just pointing out that players are still considered to be playing at a high level at this age. Sure, and if Carmelo was still performing at a high level, his age would be less of a concern. It would still come up, but it wouldn't be so stressed, but unfortunately once the decline has begun (which it has), the age becomes less of a consideration and more of a ticking clock.

The Knicks teams were terrible. Teams game planned against him, he had no help. And he still played well. He was an allstar every single year he was there. He didn't play that well, that's the point. I've already explained how he has been consistently inefficient, and his PER has dropped every single year since 2012-13. Every year! His TS% has also been on a downward trend for that entire time. Teams game plan against any team with a limited offensive cast, and other players find ways to deal with it. You may argue that this is unfair, because those other players (AD, Lebron, Kawhi Leonard in his last real season, for example) have had better coaching (arguable) or are simply much better than Melo (true), but if we're trying to say he's been a transformational player in the past, then why couldn't he do it then, when he was younger and (so you claim) better?

all I'm hearing is "Well he was asked to stand in the corner or on the block, why didnt he thrive?!" Well then listen harder, because I didn't say that. I said that you can't have it both ways.

In New York, he was the entire offensive programme. Whether that was by design, or just how it ended up, it doesn't really matter: his 31.7% usage rate whilst in NY is what matters. So we know that when he was given the ability to create, he did not thrive. Okay, maybe that's just because an offense that revolves around him and doesn't give him offensive companions depresses his skills and reduces his success. Okay then, fine, let's say that you're right and that's true.

In OKC he was the third offensive option. Whether that was by design, or just how it ended up, it doesn't matter: his 23.2% usage rating is fitting of a third option, and is almost identical to Klay Thompsons 23.7% usage rate as a third option. But he sucked. So we also know that giving him a tertiary role behind other offensive options isn't a guarantee of his success.

This brings up the question: what would guarantee his success? You keep saying that if he had a proper coach and system that knew how to use him, he'd be good. Okay then: what coach and system is that? Because I don't know what it would be, and it doesn't look like you actually know either. I can give a shout for what system it wouldn't be: Gentry ball. You know, with lots of running and early shots and multiple passes? That stuff that Melo has never done in his career in the NBA?

Up until last summer, Melo was considered a top 20 player by every major network and analyst. I don't really care what the major networks say, I care what actually happens on court. The fact is, he has never had a season where he has finished top 10 in win shares. He has never finished top 10 in win shares per 48. He has never been top 10 in TS%. He has never had a top 10 offensive rating. He has never had a top 10 BPM. He has never had a top 10 VORP. He has come top 10 in PER twice: most recently 5 years ago, and his career high PER wouldn't have been top ten this year, or last year.

What are these other holes in his game? He's a decent defender, okay. What else? Really? He's not a good passer, at all. Just, whatsoever. He'd be a good passer for a C, but for a SF he's bad. He's never been efficient (I can't seem to stress this enough). He's not a ''decent'' defender, he's just flat out bad, or at least has been for many years (his last year with a good DRTG was in 2011-12).

He's not good. He just isn't good any more. He used to be good, but he was never truly great. He used to have an elite skill, but it was never historically elite, and he doesn't have it any more. He doesn't have enough of a well rounded game to counter-act his dramatic fall off offensively. He's not good. He is, I would go as far to say, bad.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I feel like this post really epitomizes exactly how much you lack an understanding of Gentry's system while at the same time idolizing a version of Melo that doesn't exist anymore.
    Care to explain?

So on those Knicks teams who else was supposed to take shots, Ron Baker? Lance Thomas? Kristaps Porzingis?
    He only played with him as a rookie.

Because I don't know what it would be, and it doesn't look like you actually know either. I can give a shout for what system it**wouldn't**be: Gentry ball. You know, with lots of running and early shots and multiple passes? That stuff that Melo has**never done**in his career in the NBA?

He has never played in a system like Gentry's in the NBA. But he has in the Olympics and thrived. You mention him being the third star in OKC but want mention that the offensive scheme was terrible and Westbrook had an insane usage. It's not like he was playing with Steph and KD.

I don't really care what the major networks say, I care what actually happens on court. The fact is, he has**never**had a season where he has finished top 10 in win shares. He has**never**finished top 10 in win shares per 48. He has**never**been top 10 in TS%. He has**never**had a top 10 offensive rating. He has**never**had a top 10 BPM. He has**never**had a top 10 VORP. He has come top 10 in PER twice: most recently 5 years ago, and his career high PER wouldn't have been top ten this year, or last year.
    Okay but I said he was ranked Top 20. You only listed top 10 rankings. I'm willing to bet he's ranked top 20 multiple times in most of those categories you just named. And likely top 10 for his position in all of them.

Really? He's not a good passer, at all. Just, whatsoever. He'd be a good passer for a C, but for a SF he's bad. He's never been efficient (I can't seem to stress this enough). He's not a ''decent'' defender, he's just flat out bad, or at least has been for many years (his last year with a good DRTG was in 2011-12).**

He's not good. He just isn't good any more. He used to be good, but he was never truly great. He used to have an elite skill, but it was never historically elite, and he doesn't have it any more. He doesn't have enough of a well rounded game to counter-act his dramatic fall off offensively. He's not good. He is, I would go as far to say, bad.
    He's not a good passer but his career average of 3apg would've ranked him in the top 10 amongst SFs this season. So that's not true.
    His career PER is 20.3, 54%TS but he's never been efficient? False narrative.
    His defensive rating is the same as Solo Hill.. and what good defensive team has he been on since 2012?

He was never truly great? You do realize he's a future first ballot HOFer. The disrespect is astounding. He's so bad that you cant name 20 better players at his position right now and back it up with numbers, yeah okay.

Care to explain?
    There are no words that I can use to explain it if after watching Gentry's system for 3 years you still think Melo is a fit for it.

There are no words that I can use to explain it if after watching Gentry's system for 3 years you still Melo is a fit for it.
    C'mon man you're better than that. If you're going to make a claim that I dont understand the system, you could at least explain why. I've explained why I think he is a great fit and weapon.

C'mon man you're better than that. If you're going to make a claim that I dont understand the system, you could at least explain why. I've explained why I think he is a great fit and weapon.
    If watching 3 years of actual games on TV isn't enough to make clear how Melo is anti everything we do with Gentry's system then no words by me are going to be able to correct that view in a post.

Enjoy your opinion and move along.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-01-2018 at 04:54 PM.

If watching 3 years of actual games on TV isn't enough to make clear how Melo is anti everything we do with Gentry's system then no words by me are going to be able to correct that view in a post.

Enjoy your opinion and move along.
    Lol okay

He was never truly great? You do realize he's a future first ballot HOFer. The disrespect is astounding. He's so bad that you cant name 20 better players at his position right now and back it up with numbers, yeah okay.
    He only played with him as a rookie. He played with him his first two years. Porzingis was averaging 18ppg on 14 shots a game. Melo was averaging 22 on 19 shots a game. You tell me which offensive option you'd prefer.

e has never played in a system like Gentry's in the NBA. But he has in the Olympics and thrived. Who cares? The Olympics is a time when he's teamed up with the absolute best in the world, playing against competition multiple tiers below them, and he has never translated it to the NBA. I don't care what he does in the Olympics, or in college, or in the neighbourhood court, or at the Rucker, I care about what he does in the NBA and he has never showed those skills in the NBA against NBA competition.

You mention him being the third star in OKC but want mention that the offensive scheme was terrible and Westbrook had an insane usage. I won't mention that? I'm pretty sure I've alluded to it several times, but I will do it again in absolutely explicit language that cannot be misunderstood: Carmelo Anthony has not played under absolutely elite coaches or systems, but it doesn't matter because we are able to compare him to other players who have also never been in perfect fit situations, and we can see that he has not performed as well as they have under similar conditions. Hope that makes it clear.

Okay but I said he was ranked Top 20. You only listed top 10 rankings. I'm willing to bet he's ranked top 20 multiple times in most of those categories you just named. And likely top 10 for his position in all of them. You would lose that bet.

Number of times Melo has been top 20 in total win shares: 2
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in win shares per 48: 1
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in true shooting: 0
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in PER : 6
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in VORP: 1
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in ORTG: 0
    Number of times Melo has been top 20 in BPM: 1

So nope, not top 20 multiple times in most of those categories at all. Top 20 more than once in 2. For 14 years of apparently being a consensus top 20 player, that's pretty poor. Other players who have appeared once in those categories: Goran Dragic, Serge Ibaka, Enes Kanter, Clint Capela, Dwight Powell, Kyle Anderson of all people. I'm not doing it specifically for at his position. It takes long enough to just sift through it league-wide, and it doesn't matter anyway because once you get past the top five in most positions, it starts to run a little thin. I would be willing to bet Melo has been top 20 multiple times in some of those things for small forwards only, because otherwise who else is going to be? OG Anunoby?

His career PER is 20.3, 54%TS but he's never been efficient? PER isn't actually a measure of efficiency in the way I'm talking about, it's an all around factor, so it's not really the point. His 54% TS isn't particularly efficient, no, it's about dead on league average.

Yes, he's a first ballot hall of famer. There's a difference between being really good (which Melo was, for some time) and being truly great. Is he a top 20 SF right now? Maybe, I don't know. Is he a top 20 SF of all time? Maybe, but he'd be right at the bottom of that list. I'd take Lebron, Bird, Pippen, Durant, Kawhi, Dr J, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, Rick Barry, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Paul Pierce, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Drexler, healthy Grant Hill, and probably even Paul George over him.

It's important to remember: at no point have I said that Melo has never been good. He has. Ten years ago, he was top tier. Not the very top of the tree, but very very good. I even say it in that section you quoted: he used to be good. But he was never that top guy who I'd want to build around, he was never that elite player who could carry a team, he was never that guy. That's fine, most players never are. But he has people acting like he's been this superman for his career, and he hasn't. It's just not true.

ItYes, he's a first ballot hall of famer. There's a difference between being really good (which Melo was, for some time) and being truly great. Is he a top 20 SF right now? Maybe, I don't know. Is he a top 20 SF of all time? Maybe, but he'd be right at the bottom of that list. I'd take Lebron, Bird, Pippen, Durant, Kawhi, Dr J, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, Rick Barry, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Paul Pierce, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Drexler, healthy Grant Hill, and probably even Paul George over him.**
    It's important to remember: at no point have I said that Melo has never been good. He has. Ten years ago, he was top tier. Not the very top of the tree, but very very good. I even say it in that section you quoted: he used to be good. But he was never that top guy who I'd want to build around, he was never that elite player who could carry a team, he was never that guy. That's fine, most players never are. But he has people acting like he's been this superman for his career, and he hasn't. It's just not true.
    Okay I never said he was that guy. But he has been a top 3 player at his position for most of his career, will retire a top 15-20 player all time at his position.

But we're talking about currently. And you definitely said "He's not good. He is, I would go as far to say, bad." And right now you can not name 20 better SFs in the world better than Carmelo Anthony right now and back it up with stats.

Ahhh, the off season...

1) No, he probably won't be coming here.

2) For the guys that want him see number 1.

3) For those that don't want him, don't act like he wouldn't instantly be an upgrade at small forward from what we currently have.

4) If Mello wants to play in NOLA for anywhere near the minimum, given our SF situation, you take him in a heartbeat and don't think twice about it.

Okay I never said he was that guy. But he has been a top 3 player at his position for most of his career, will retire a top 15-20 player all time at his position.

But we're talking about currently. And you definitely said "He's not good. He is, I would go as far to say, bad." And right now you can not name 20 better SFs in the world better than Carmelo Anthony right now and back it up with stats.
    Does it matter? Will your opinion ever change, do you actually care, or are you just stuck in the view that Melo would be good on our team and that he's still got something, and nothing will change your mind?

The fact is, these are some small forwards in the NBA right now:

Lebron James. (27.5/8.6/91, 57% from the field, 37% from 3, net RTG of +9, 14 total win shares, 0.221 win shares per 48, 28.6 PER)
    Kawhi Leonard. (25.5/5.8/3.5, 48.5% from the field, 38% from 3, net RTG of +19, 13.6 total win shares, 0.264 ws/48, 27.6 PER)
    Giannis Antetokoumpo. (26.9/10/4.8, 53% from the field, 31% from 3, net RTG of +10, 11.9 total win shares, 0.207 ws/48, 27.3 PER)
    Paul George. (21.9/5.7/3.3, 43% from the field, 40% from 3, net RTG of +6, 8.9 total win shares, 0.148 ws/48, 18.7 PER)
    Harrison Barnes. (18.9/6.1/2, 44.5% from the field, 36% from 3, net RTG of -6, 3.8 total win shares, 0.070 ws/48, 15.8 PER)
    Kevin Durant. (26.4/6.8/5.4, 51.6% from the field, 42% from 3, net RTG of +12, 10.4 total win shares, 0.215 ws/48, 26 PER)
    Trevor Ariza. (11.7/4.4/1.6, 42% from the field, 37% from 3, net RTG of +7, 5.3 total win shares, 0.113 ws/48, 11.8 PER)
    Andre Iguodala. (6.0/3.8/3.3, 47% from the field, 29% from 3, net RTG of +4, 3.2 total win shares, 0.094 ws/48, 11.2 PER)
    Gordon Hayward. (21.9/5.4/3.5, 47% from the field, 39% from 3, net RTG of +12, 10.4 total win shares, 0.199 ws/48, 22.2 PER)
    Tobias Harris. (18.6/5.5/2.4, 46% from the field, 41% from 3, net RTG of +2, 6.2 total win shares, 0.120 ws/48, 17.1 PER)
    Etwaun Moore played SF last season, mostly. (12.5/2.9/2.3, 51% from the field, 42% from 3, net RTG of -1, 4.4 total win shares, 0.089 ws/48, 12.1 PER)
    Rudy Gay. (11.5/5.1/1.3, 47% from the field, 31% from 3, net RTG of +3, 3.1 total win shares, 0.123 ws/48, PER of 18.0)
    Demarre Carroll. (13.5/6.6/2.0, 41% from the field, 37% from 3, net RTG of -1, 4.1 total win shares, 0.091 ws/48, 14.3 PER)
    Kyle Anderson. (7.9/5.4/2.7, 53% from the field, 31% from 3, net RTG of +13, 6.2 total win shares, 0.151 ws/48, 15.9 PER)
    Jason Tatum. (13.9/5.0/1.6, 48% from the field, 43% from 3, net RTG of +8, 7.1 total win shares, 0.139 ws/48, 15.3 PER)

There's 15 small forwards off the top of my head who I would say were either definitively better than him in the last season in which they played, or at least have arguments on their side. So yeah sure, if the victory you want to take from this is that Carmelo Anthony might be the 16th best small forward in the NBA right now, then you go ahead. Not sure that's much to brag about though, at that point it's not really him being actively good, it's just him not being as woefully bad as, say, Swaggy P.

But he has been a top 3 player at his position for most of his career not really. He's never been better than Lebron, Paul Pierce was better for much of his earlier career, Durant has always been better, Kawhi has been better the last few years, and so has Paul George. He might have possibly been top 3 at his position for a year or two, but really no more than that.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Man I wish I had the time you guy's do!

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Man I wish I had the time you guy's do!
    Seriously! HA

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Ahhh, the off season...

1) No, he probably won't be coming here.

2) For the guys that want him see number 1.

3) For those that don't want him, don't act like he wouldn't instantly be an upgrade at small forward from what we currently have.

4) If Mello wants to play in NOLA for anywhere near the minimum, given our SF situation, you take him in a heartbeat and don't think twice about it.
    If Melo came to Nola he would make our team worse. See it doesn't matter if Melo is a top 15-20 SF in a vacuum because his fit is so terrible for us that he would be a net negative as a player in our system.

The last thing we need to add to this team is a high volume, ineffective scorer, who as recently as 3 months ago was unwilling to do what's best for the team because of his pride.

There is not a day I'd take current day Melo over Darius Miller or E'twaun Moore playing SF. They might not in a vacuum he as good but they are willing team players who fulfill their role in the system and don't demand shots taking them away from AD.

There's 15 small forwards off the top of my head who I would say were either definitively better than him in the last season in which they played, or at least have arguments on their side. So yeah sure, if the victory you want to take from this is that Carmelo Anthony might be the 16th best small forward in the NBA right now, then you go ahead. Not sure that's much to brag about though, at that point it's not really him being actively good, it's just him not being as woefully bad as, say, Swaggy P.

But he has been a top 3 player at his position for most of his career not really. He's never been better than Lebron, Paul Pierce was better for much of his earlier career, Durant has always been better, Kawhi has been better the last few years, and so has Paul George. He might have possibly been top 3 at his position for a year or two, but really no more than that.
    Okay yeah we're never going to agree. No way Trevor Ariza, Kyle Anderson, Demarre Carroll, Rudy Gay. Etwaun Moore are better players than Carmelo Anthony. And those stats provided, did not prove that either. You want to judge Melo soley off last season because if you put up his last 3 season averages you know he's a far superior player. And you named Hayward who played like 30 seconds last year.

Then you say Paul Pierce was a better player when he put up identical shooting percentages and was a similar player with inferior numbers and was missing the playoffs in the East before KD came in the league, so your whole efficiency claim is biased.

So yeah we're probably never going to agree, but it was a good debate.

If Melo came to Nola he would make our team worse. See it doesn't matter if Melo is a top 15-20 SF in a vacuum because his fit is so terrible for us that he would be a net negative as a player in our system.

The last thing we need to add to this team is a high volume, ineffective scorer, who as recently as 3 months ago was unwilling to do what's best for the team because of his pride.

There is not a day I'd take current day Melo over Darius Miller or E'twaun Moore playing SF. They might not in a vacuum he as good but they are willing team players who fulfill their role in the system and don't demand shots taking them away from AD.
    One of the best scorers in league history is ineffective. This is hilarious. I wonder how would yall feel about pre Achilles injury Kobe on this team. Melo must've really rubbed people the wrong way last season, because this is crazy.

Coming off the bench for Jerami Grant is what's best for the team? Or telling Westbrook to change his style of play to include everyone else was whats best for the team?
    Again Melo literally getting every ounce of the blame, and everyone else has been effectively excused from any of it.

Well at least he left a positive mark in New York being selected their Teammate of the year in 2017.

"He kept us together," Lance Thomas said earlier this month. "It's something that you wouldn't know if you weren't in there with us. It didn't ever get [discussed by media and fans]. ... But no matter what was going on, he was smiling, he was keeping all of that stuff outside of the locker room."
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...icks-teammates

So easy to criticize without facts.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 08-01-2018 at 08:29 PM.

One of the best scorers in league history is ineffective.
    Melo isn't one of the best scorers in league history. LOL. Dude you're going off the deep end with your Melo love. He's not even in the top 20 best scorers in the league history.

Nor does it even matter if he *WAS* because we aren't talking about prime Melo here. We are talking about 34 year old over the hill Melo. You seem unable to separate the legacy of Melo from what type of player he is now.

But for the league minimum you just cut him loose or make him ride the bench if he sucks as bad as you think he will.

For the minimum or even slightly above he would be worth it in spades, especially if he agrees to come in and just play off of AD and Jrue.

He certainly isn't worth a large salary but he is at least as good as Moore and probably better than Miller. So, for a minimal salary it would be a great signing.

A lot of people, not necessarily you, made these same arguments about Rondo last year. Such as fit and lack of shooting in Rondo's case. That worked out fine. Why not Melo?

Melo isn't one of the best scorers in league history. LOL. Dude you're going off the deep end with your Melo love. He's not even in the top 20 best scorers in the league history.

Nor does it even matter if he *WAS* because we aren't talking about prime Melo here. We are talking about 34 year old over the hill Melo. You seem unable to separate the legacy of Melo from what type of player he is now.
    Melo is definitely one of the best scorers in league history, he is the 22nd leader in total points with a great chance to move into the top 10 before his career ends by just averaging 12ppg over 3 seasons. Not to mention he has one of the best scoring arsenals ever.

Again I am separating the legacy Melo from the 34 year old Melo. Nowhere have I ever mentioned Melo scoring 25+ppg for us. I've always said 16-18ppg Melo. I even said he would be the 4th option behind Jrue, AD and Randle. Which are reasonable expectations. Unless you can show me a quote from Melo saying he wants to be the guy, he wants to take 18+ shots and that's the only role he will accept.

But for the league minimum you just cut him loose or make him ride the bench if he sucks as bad as you think he will.

For the minimum or even slightly above he would be worth it in spades, especially if he agrees to come in and just play off of AD and Jrue.

He certainly isn't worth a large salary but he is at least as good as Moore and probably better than Miller. So, for a minimal salary it would be a great signing.

A lot of people, not necessarily you, made these same arguments about Rondo last year. Such as fit and lack of shooting in Rondo's case. That worked out fine. Why not Melo?
    I think you explained it better than I have been trying to

I think this has been covered to death!

1. He doesn't want to come off the bench, so why would we want him taking shots away from Jrue and AD in the starting lineup?
    2. He won't be coming to a non contender.
    3. If he doesn't get the playing time he would disrupt the locker room.

Thread Information