Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How about Melo?

How about Melo?

Anthony has opt in to his 28 mil last yr with bird rights to OKC. He has expressed discomfort with his situation there. I know he is a defensive liability, but could have some value at a reduced cost going forward. OKC still has PG, Singler, and RFA Grant, so a glut there. We can return 24 mil in salary, which should work in the updated trade machine, save them a few bucks (over 8 mil) and give them a back-up 3 that is better defensively by far, along with expiring, unguaranteed contracts, a short term back-up for Adams and a prospect. Not sure, this is a great idea, but gives us so much flexibility next summer when we super-max AD if we get Boogie and Rondo back.

PELS get Melo OKC gets AA, HILL, OAK, LIGGINS and DIALLO
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 06-24-2018 at 02:43 PM.

I've said this before, Melo or someone of his caliber is the missing piece to this offense.

Hard pass to that offensive black hole
    I'm a grinder

No thank you.

When he was going to OKC at first, all the talking heads started pushing this idea that as his career wanes, he could slide into a permanent form of Olympic Melo; combining his (as was) silky smooth offensive abilities with a willingness to give up offensive leadership, stepping to the side and being that third or fourth option.

As we've just seen from OKC's miserably disappointing year, that didn't happen. He got even worse in basically every aspect, hogged the ball, refused to take any role other than prominent starter, and continually sunk any momentum they managed to scrape up.

No.
    Basketball.

Lol,geezus.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Good God are you mad?

Mission accomplished, got you guys off the overpay of Boogie for a moment. Next maybe I'll present an idea to trade for Brandon Knight. There are 2 positive reasons I can think of for such a move. The roster freedom we get next summer, and the name recognition which likely puts people in the seats at SKC. Unfortunately, only two. But, yes. I must be mad for even thinking up such an idea.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 06-24-2018 at 04:43 PM.

I would make that trade.

PELS get Melo OKC gets AA, HILL, OAK, LIGGINS and DIALLO Move all those contracts for Melo on one year? Yes please.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would make that trade.

PELS get Melo OKC gets AA, HILL, OAK, LIGGINS and DIALLO Move all those contracts for Melo on one year? Yes please.
    OK, not the only one here that's mad. YES!

Not at all, we can find a better trade than for Melo and his 28 million.... I also dont want to see Diallo go, he is developing and could end up being a very good backup to AD and Boogie, not to mention the only real contract we are getting rid of is Hill, everyone else is 1 year deals
    Last edited by soggymoss; 06-24-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Not at all, we can find a better trade than for Melo and his 28 million.... I also dont want to see Diallo go, he is developing and could end up being a very good backup to AD and Boogie, not to mention the only real contract we are getting rid of is Hill, everyone else is 1 year deals
    Now on that we will have to agree to disagree, I hope you are right but don't think DIALLO is going to be much more then he is now.

Hell and no! And I'm not a Melo hater, but he's making too much to disappear like he did in the playoffs and his regular season wasn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Hell and no! And I'm not a Melo hater, but he's making too much to disappear like he did in the playoffs and his regular season wasn't great.
    What's Diallo's biggest downfall?

His energy.. Hes 100 MPH all the time out there, and it leads him to make mistakes.. Calm him down, get the nerves out, and he will be alot better. He started showing flashes of that late in the regular season

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Part of me wonders if he were on a team more suited to his skills, would he be a plus player. The other part thinks Melo has nothing to offer. And on the other hand it could potentially put us in a better salary cap spot. Maybe. Probably not as I apparently know nothing about how the cap actually works.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    What's Diallo's biggest downfall?

His energy.. Hes 100 MPH all the time out there, and it leads him to make mistakes.. Calm him down, get the nerves out, and he will be alot better. He started showing flashes of that late in the regular season
    If Only! Diello is atrocious off ball defensively. Does NOT understand defensive schemes. Diallo is a 6'9" 215 lb rail, which equates to a Small forward or stretch #4 body, while NOT having the skills to be either. He can't shoot 3's, he has zero handle, has no post up game. He's too small to bang down low.
    Basically, he's a tweener, with not enough talent at anything to compensate for his lack of size, shooting, dribbling, along with his struggles understanding defense schemes. Thus, he's Not very good.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I’d do it... add in Niko and Moore and you’d have a a very compelling trade for Melo AND George. LeBron would definitely take a long look at NOLA at the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If Only! Diello is atrocious off ball defensively. Does NOT understand defensive schemes. Diallo is a 6'9" 215 lb rail, which equates to a Small forward or stretch #4 body, while NOT having the skills to be either. He can't shoot 3's, he has zero handle, has no post up game. He's too small to bang down low.
    Basically, he's a tweener, with not enough talent at anything to compensate for his lack of size, shooting, dribbling, along with his struggles understanding defense schemes. Thus, he's Not very good.
    He's still raw and showed signs of growth last season. He could give meaningful production on a second round contract this year which is valuable

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I'm not this down on Diallo but I do tend to find that he's overrated by Pels fans. He is definitely a flawed player that makes up for a lot of his mistakes with his hustle and energy.

He's still real young so there's time for him to develop, but a team has to be willing to put in that time. I could see him being a solid player when he's 24 problem is he's on his last year of his contract and he's 21. Maybe he ends up taking the Miller route of developing in Europe a bit and then coming back to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm not this down on Diallo but I do tend to find that he's overrated by Pels fans. He is definitely a flawed player that makes up for a lot of his mistakes with his hustle and energy.

He's still real young so there's time for him to develop, but a team has to be willing to put in that time. I could see him being a solid player when he's 24 problem is he's on his last year of his contract and he's 21. Maybe he ends up taking the Miller route of developing in Europe a bit and then coming back to the NBA.
    Agreed.

He definitely has some skills, and some valuable traits both as an athlete and as a person, but he isnt a highly developed basketball player. Has a lot of potential.

Diallo should spend the rest of the summer shooting 3s. I just can't see his body type ever able to bang with 4s much less 5s. Develop a 3 point shot and then maybe he can be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Diallo should spend the rest of the summer shooting 3s. I just can't see his body type ever able to bang with 4s much less 5s. Develop a 3 point shot and then maybe he can be effective.
    With his body type,if he does NOT develop a 3pt shot,then you are correct--> hes worth the #9 spot on the pine at best. It's unfortunate that he has the body type he has, but has zero skills to highlight his size/ If he were 6'10, 250, then his athletic ability & enthusiasm alone could get him substantial playing time. BUT, NOT being overly skilled at any aspect, w/ his tweener body, he becomes too difficult to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    B A L L S T O P P E R ! axiomatically disasterous for our offense.

Now here's someone we should look into getting (pretty much will ensure Boogie comes back)

Bledsoe is rumored to be on the trade block again

https://ble.ac/2K6qZKm

Thread Information