Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elfrid Payton?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This is also the first time he's played with such serious talent around him. Who knows. Could become a MIP candidate.

Yeah, I'm talking myself into liking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This is also the first time he's played with such serious talent around him. Who knows. Could become a MIP candidate.

Yeah, I'm talking myself into liking this.
    I dunno I don't think there's much that needs to be talked into. He's going to be going against 2nd units now instead of starters, in a fast paced offense that will minimize his lack of shooting and allow him to run and pass.

I think it's an ideal system to rehab his career and give him a good chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I dunno I don't think there's much that needs to be talked into. He's going to be going against 2nd units now instead of starters, in a fast paced offense that will minimize his lack of shooting and allow him to run and pass.

I think it's an ideal system to rehab his career and give him a good chance of success.
    Only if he's coming for the min. If it hurts our chances of bringing in a wing or back Rondo it's a move EP will have to play really well to justify.

This, he couldn't ask for better.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Only if he's coming for the min. If it hurts our chances of bringing in a wing or back Rondo it's a move EP will have to play really well to justify.
    How exactly were we bringing in a wing anyway? Basically every free agent wing was signed within an hour of free agency starting.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Every time he scores they should play "Ehret #1" over the speaker.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    How exactly were we bringing in a wing anyway? Basically every free agent wing was signed within an hour of free agency starting.
    Wayne Ellington,Anthony Tolliver, .

Sweet! I would try to sign & trade Cousins to the Lakers for a 1st rounder then use both our first rounders to get Tobias Harris. I would much rather get a legit small forward who can score & somewhat guard a guy like KD than keep Cousins for a boat load of money. If we could get Julius Randle in the Cousins deal that would work. Can both teams sign & trade someone? Sign Nerlens Noel & re-sign Rondo. Add 2 Kentucky players to go with Rondo to lessen the blow of losing Cousins to keep AD happy.

C: AD, Noel
    PF: Mirotic, Randle, Diallo
    SF: Harris, Miller, Hill
    SG: Jrue, Moore, Jackson
    PG: Rondo, Payton

Supposedly we are one of the 4 teams Noel is looking at joining. He could be a decent backup to AD. I almost like Payton more than Rondo as the starter. Without Cousins, I would rather have a scoring point guard and Payton averages around 13 ppg, 6 apg, and 4 rpg. We showed in playoffs that we can win without Boogie. What we did show is not having a small forward kills any chances we have at going any further. If we can’t keep Cousins, we need to somehow get a small forward. I like Rodney Hood, but a versatile forward that can get you 19 and 6 like Tobias Harris would be ideal IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Wayne Ellington,Anthony Tolliver, .
    Are either of those options even better than Miller? We are scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. Ellington is more of SG and Tolliver more of a PF anyway.

Anyone who was wrapped up in us signing a starting SF through free agency was always going to be grossly disappointed. Any move for a solid SF would have to be through a trade no matter what.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-01-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Are either of those options even better than Miller? We are scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. Ellington is more of SG and Tolliver more of a PF anyway.

Anyone who was wrapped up in us signing a starting SF through free agency was always going to be grossly disappointed. Any move for a solid SF would have to be through a trade no matter what.
    Exactly.

Moore, Ajinca and a first to the clips for Harris

God willing hill for a bag of donuts

Wing solved and if we move hill a successful offseason if Rondeaux and boogie return

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    I assume Carr goes to the G-League?
    Would guess he signs a 2-way contract.

Ellington shoots 40% from 3 & Tolliver was a legit #4 that has expanded his game to be a stretch. He shoots 37 1/2 from 3. I don't see how either one isn't an upgrade over Moore and/or Miller? Ellington is 1 1/2 taller than Moore & a better shooter & Tolliver is a MUCH better defensive player than Miller. Miller is close to awful on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Sweet! I would try to sign & trade Cousins to the Lakers for a 1st rounder then use both our first rounders to get Tobias Harris. I would much rather get a legit small forward who can score & somewhat guard a guy like KD than keep Cousins for a boat load of money. If we could get Julius Randle in the Cousins deal that would work. Can both teams sign & trade someone? Sign Nerlens Noel & re-sign Rondo. Add 2 Kentucky players to go with Rondo to lessen the blow of losing Cousins to keep AD happy.

C: AD, Noel
    PF: Mirotic, Randle, Diallo
    SF: Harris, Miller, Hill
    SG: Jrue, Moore, Jackson
    PG: Rondo, Payton

Supposedly we are one of the 4 teams Noel is looking at joining. He could be a decent backup to AD. I almost like Payton more than Rondo as the starter. Without Cousins, I would rather have a scoring point guard and Payton averages around 13 ppg, 6 apg, and 4 rpg. We showed in playoffs that we can win without Boogie. What we did show is not having a small forward kills any chances we have at going any further. If we can’t keep Cousins, we need to somehow get a small forward. I like Rodney Hood, but a versatile forward that can get you 19 and 6 like Tobias Harris would be ideal IMO.
    2 first rounders for an expiring Harris and Julius Randle as a $20 million backup? Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    2 first rounders for an expiring Harris and Julius Randle as a $20 million backup? Are you high?
    Yes !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Ellington shoots 40% from 3 & Tolliver was a legit #4 that has expanded his game to be a stretch. He shoots 37 1/2 from 3. I don't see how either one isn't an upgrade over Moore and/or Miller? Ellington is 1 1/2 taller than Moore & a better shooter & Tolliver is a MUCH better defensive player than Miller. Miller is close to awful on defense.
    If only we didn't already have the best 4 in the league and Niko as his backup once Cousins is healthy then maybe I would care about Tolliver. As is, he would barely get minutes and we are also still developing Diallo. As far as Ellington goes, all the numbers I found said they're both 6'4 and while Ellington shot 40% from 3, Moore shot 42.5% and Miller over 41%.

This also ignores the biggest issue with both. Both are over 30 and nowhere near their prime. Point being, those are both bottom of the barrel guys that are irrelevant to mattering. If you're argument is, "I can't believe we signed Payton and passed on being able to sign Ellington or Tolliver" suffice to say I find that argument meaningless.

There is only 4 free agents to average between 6 and 9 assists per game for their careers. Payton & Rondo are two with Lebron & Ty Lawson being the other 2. So we added one of the best free agent play making point guards available and might add the other one as well. Forgot about CP3, but he averaged over 9 lol

I love this move. We got a home town kid that is still young at 24. Hopefully it’s a cheap one year prove it deal. Hopefully coming home and being surrounded by playoff caliber talent can take his game to a new level. If we don’t get Rondo, I’ll be good with him starting as long as we can get a good small forward. But I rather him learn a year from Rondo and hopefully be the long term answer at point.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 07-01-2018 at 11:36 PM.

https://youtu.be/KkxpUtl6K0o

Someone has to post this
    He has some real talents that I'm hoping we can make fruitful for the first time in his career.

He legit has vision. His passing is not a joke, and it doesn't appear to be a guy feasting on bad teams: his passes look crisp, sharp, and fast. Yes, he's a bit careless with it sometimes, but with targets like AD, Mirotic, and Jrue, I can seriously see good things coming from this.

A side note: his shot doesn't actually look too bad. The release is awkward, but that seems to be a problem with how he can elevate his arms because of the hair literally blocking it. Without that, I think his jumper has potential.

Possible to send Carr overseas?
    Australia would be nice

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d love to have him. Pass first point guard who hopefully can play better def now that his hair isn’t in his face. There are 4 players I’d like and hopefully get them cheap. Payton is one for hopefully around 3.5 million ( a little less than rondo) to bring a hometown kid back. Hood and Henzonja for about 4 million each and Jahil Okafor for 2.5 or so. I think if we can get the 8 million MLE and split it amongst 2 of the 3 ( Payton, hoo, and Henzonja) then use BAE on Okafor. The last player we’d have to get creative but i think could be a well rounded team.

Henzonja and Hood are shooters that can surround Davis and Cousins plus they have some size and cutting ability.

Payton gives us a lesser but younger rondo on the court and his shooting isn’t totally horrible.

Okafor is just a big that has some offensive game somewhat similar to cousins minus the 3 pt shot. Maybe he could fill our 4th big and maybe learn to bang and rebound a bit better.

Rondo, Payton, Jackson
    Jrue, Moore, Miller
    Hood, Henzonja, Hill
    Davis, Mirotic
    Cousins, Okafor
    Check and Carr also.

We dont need starter, we just need depth.

Hood, Ennis, Evans, Ellington, Rondo, Mbahamoute all players that may take the tax payer MLE. Treveon Graham may end up settling for the min, but it'd be nice if we had a little extra money to secure him. Jeff Green wouldnt be horrible.

Using the tax MLE on Payton is a waste. Especially when Rondo should hold priority over Payton.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 07-02-2018 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    We dont need starter, we just need depth.

Hood, Ennis, Evans, Ellington, Rondo, Mbahamoute all players that may take the tax payer MLE. Treveon Graham may end up settling for the min, but it'd be nice if we had a little extra money to secure him. Jeff Green wouldnt be horrible.

Using the tax MLE on Payton is a waste. Especially when Rondo should hold priority over Payton.
    Why would you assume we used the taxpayer MLE on him? We have multiple exceptions it could fit under.

Yes we need depth, which is exactly why we signed Payton. What if Rondo walks? We'd have Jrue that could play PG and.....? Why does everyone so quickly forget last year where 1 injury to Rondo had us scrounging through the trash heap trying to find a PG to keep the ship afloat? We signed a young backup that has starter experience incase we lose Rondo or he gets injured.

Thread Information