Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans draft Penn State PG Tony Carr

Pelicans Bad pick at 51

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Posted in the draft thread that I enjoyed his highlights package

Amazing handles, post game from yesteryear and splashes a beautiful jumper. I don't know why people are saying scrub
    Not a bad person pick but position pick. Even if the dude has mad handles it does no good if it gets blocked at the rim and he guards guys 6 inches taller than him. We have enough 6'5 and under guards, they need a 6'7/6'8 small forward.
    The jackwagons that draft these small players need to get a clue. We have enough talent at the 1 @ 2 spots none at the 3.
    Last edited by sterlr; 06-22-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Not a bad person pick but position pick. Even if the dude has mad handles it does no good if it gets blocked at the rim and he guards guys 6 inches taller than him. We have enough 6'5 and under guards, they need a 6'7/6'8 small forward.
    The jackwagons that draft these small players need to get a clue. We have enough talent at the 1 @ 2 spots none at the 3.
    You never pass on Best Player Available because he doesn't fill a position of need.

Heck we can't even say that guard isn't a position of need. We have Jrue, Moore, and Jackson under contract and that's it. Rondo might be gone, Jackson we have no idea what he will be, Clark might be gone. It's almost like people forget that at the beginning of the year we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a healthy guard because we were so injured.

For better or worse our SF position has a clear starter and backup. We can look to upgrade it in a trade but it's not like the 51st player being a SF had an easier path to even make the roster. Guard depth is an even bigger need.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    I didn't realize the roster was set. Most second round picks are developmental players. If he develops into a serviceable piece, great! If not, who cares. Dell in his post draft pesser mentioned how they are well aware of where they are in the hierarchy of the Western conference. They know is in front of them and who is behind them. I think they feel really close to pushing into the top 4 in the west. Expect this roster to go through some trades and free agency driven changes. I got the feeling big things are coming

Rondo is not guaranteed to resign, and even if he does he won't play forever. We can only hope Jackson is over his foot injury we have no idea if he's able to play on it yet (at least I don't).

Carr just might see alot of minutes this season.

Weird how in the NFL a second pick is a sure thing to make the roster but in the NBA it's like a "who cares" pick. I always thought the NBA did a poor
    job of evaluating talent. There are so many talented players never given the opportunity unlike the NFL or even MLB. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Weird how in the NFL a second pick is a sure thing to make the roster but in the NBA it's like a "who cares" pick. I always thought the NBA did a poor
    job of evaluating talent. There are so many talented players never given the opportunity unlike the NFL or even MLB. IMO
    There's only 15 roster spots vs 53 roster spots. They also only play 5 players on offense and defense at a time as opposed to 22 players.

The NBA is by the nature of the game just far more selective because they can be.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    [QUOTE=stormcenter;1462782]Weird how in the NFL a second pick is a sure thing to make the roster but in the NBA it's like a "who cares" pick. I always thought the NBA did a poor
    job of evaluating talent. There are so many talented players never given the opportunity unlike the NFL or even MLB. IMO[/QUOT

i think the problem stems from the fact that the nba, until recently never had a true minor league or farm system. Plus the fact that they don't require more than one year away from High school before they can enter the draft. They need to allow HS guys to come to the nba and then restrict college guys to minimum of 2yrs (I'm in favor of 3) before they can enter the draft. Combined with a true minor league, your injection of talent every year would go way up.

I have to support dude bc of my alma mater. I wish him well. Hopefully he makes it onto the court at some point.

I think most people (myself included) understand the NFL draft and salary cap way better than the NBA. For good reasons. It's simpler. Gets more press. So it's in your face.

In the NFL, you draft a guy for your team. In the NBA, sometimes you draft a guy you feel like you can turn into a tradable asset. Actually a good bit of the time.

Yep. We could use more lottery balls hoping we get a diamond in the rough SF.....but if the FO didn't see anybody, they may have taken Carr thinking they could make him into an asset.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 06-22-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

You can’t spell ROY R-O-Y, and Tony Carter has all three of those letters in his two names, so he is pretty much a lock to win it all now.

Sadly he doesn’t have the letters to MVP anywhere in his name... or 6th Man for that matter.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

NBA needs to eliminate the lottery and just go by worst record for drafting order like the NFL and MLB. If teams choose to tank for a higher
    pick than so be it. The NBA also needs to implement a HARD CAP like again the NFL and unlike MLB. You would not have the Golden States
    and Rockets.

There are 60 picks in the NBA draft and there were 256 in the last NFL draft, so if it helps you think about it pick #51 is about like an end of the 6th round/early 7th pick in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    I think most people (myself included) understand the NFL draft and salary cap way better than the NBA. For good reasons. It's simpler. Gets more press. So it's in your face.

In the NFL, you draft a guy for your team. In the NBA, sometimes you draft a guy you feel like you can turn into a tradable asset. Actually a good bit of the time.

Yep. We could use more lottery balls hoping we get a diamond in the rough SF.....but if the FO didn't see anybody, they may have taken Carr thinking they could make him into an asset.
    It's not simpler what with all the prorated singing bonus, designated post-June releases, dead money, etc. you're just more familiar with it.

NBA needs to eliminate the lottery and just go by worst record for drafting order like the NFL and MLB. If teams choose to tank for a higher
    pick than so be it. The NBA also needs to implement a HARD CAP like again the NFL and unlike MLB. You would not have the Golden States
    and Rockets.
    The problem with doing away with the lottery is the year AD was coming out every team would have thrown games because he was such a sure bet. Individual players have way more of an impact because there are only 5 on the court at a time.

The lottery is flawed and needs to be tweaked but just going with the worst available record is just as bad of an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The problem with doing away with the lottery is the year AD was coming out every team would have thrown games because he was such a sure bet. Individual players have way more of an impact because there are only 5 on the court at a time.

The lottery is flawed and needs to be tweaked but just going with the worst available record is just as bad of an option.
    Agreed. Too easy to influence the top pick for a superstar. Think about how it would have been the year Lebron came out. I do think the NBA needs to institute a hard cap though. It is ridiculous how teams are allowed to exceed the cap simply because their owner has more money or they are in a bigger market that demands a higher local TV contract.

I'd actually go the other way. I'd make it a true lottery for all the teams that miss the playoffs. No advantage to tanking whatsoever. So teams will play to win to the end. The Warriors built a dynasty without picking in the top five.

Now if you really wanted to incentivize winning, you'd do a reverse lottery and give the top pick to the best team not in the playoffs. But that would just promote low level playoff teams to miss the post season, which could be a disaster for the league.

Best is just keep it clean. Every non-playoff team has an equal chance to land any lottery position. If you want to build in some protections, you could say no team is eligible for the top pick--or the top 3 picks-- two years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I'd actually go the other way. I'd make it a true lottery for all the teams that miss the playoffs. No advantage to tanking whatsoever. So teams will play to win to the end. The Warriors built a dynasty without picking in the top five.

Now if you really wanted to incentivize winning, you'd do a reverse lottery and give the top pick to the best team not in the playoffs. But that would just promote low level playoff teams to miss the post season, which could be a disaster for the league.

Best is just keep it clean. Every non-playoff team has an equal chance to land any lottery position. If you want to build in some protections, you could say no team is eligible for the top pick--or the top 3 picks-- two years in a row.
    Not sure that is the answer either. The intent is to help the bad teams obtain talent. The truly bad teams are penalized in that scenario. There has to be something in between.

You never pass on Best Player Available because he doesn't fill a position of need.

Heck we can't even say that guard isn't a position of need. We have Jrue, Moore, and Jackson under contract and that's it. Rondo might be gone, Jackson we have no idea what he will be, Clark might be gone. It's almost like people forget that at the beginning of the year we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a healthy guard because we were so injured.

For better or worse our SF position has a clear starter and backup. We can look to upgrade it in a trade but it's not like the 51st player being a SF had an easier path to even make the roster. Guard depth is an even bigger need.
    It's funny how often the BPA for Dell is a combo guard. The guy just loves them so much. Carr is a typical Demps' pick, underclassmen combo guard who underperform season before the draft due to higher expectations. Rivers, Jackson and Carr all fits the bill, you can even add Diallo except for the guard part (he's still a combo between PF and C).
    Last edited by Blattman; 06-23-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    It's funny how often the BPA for Dell is a combo guard. The guy just loves them so much. Carr is a typical Demps' pick, underclassmen combo guard who underperform season before the draft due to higher expectations. Rivers, Jackson and Carr all fits the bill, you can even add Diallo except for the guard part (he's still a combo between PF and C).
    You should probably go listen to the post draft interview. The lead scout was the one pushing hard for Carr and Dell trusted his judgment.

As far as Carr goes he is only called a combo guard because he has the size and ability to play off ball and defend multiple positions. The due ran the point his entire college career and was asked to be the main player maker for the entire team.

Hope he develops and a few years from now can get his shot in the NBA.

Missed out on Alize Johnson by 1 pick

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Better off. Don’t see a short term future with him on this team yet. Maybe he’ll turn out to be Darius Miller.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Good move. Lets him develop. He wasn't getting a single minute this year unless we had catastrophic injuries.

Thread Information