Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: NBA Draft 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think most people, including me, are just Cognizant of the fact that at #51 the odds that anyone works out long term are very low. So you might as well take a flier on someone physically impressive with a lot of potential (Kostas?) But no skill, or just some random guy at a position of need. The random SF is about as likely to work out as the random PG, and at least if they do we have room for them.
    This! Now there is still hope, try Xavier Cooks in summer, give him a 2 way if shows anything, and let Hanson fix his shot. Might have something by Jan '19

Follow your dreams young blood, the Pels are about to take over for the nine nine and two thousands.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Poor man's Sam Cassell!
    So you read nbadraft.net's report on him as well.

Either way, I'm going to bed. Staying up until 4:45am for this... jeez
    What were you expecting at 51?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What were you expecting at 51?
    Not necessarily referring only to our pick, although yes I'd have been happier if we had moved up for Diop or something. More referring to the general nothingness of the draft overall. No real surprises, no big trades, no small trades either to be honest, just a little bit of pick shuffling and taking 6 hours to do it somehow.

Last year's draft was much more interesting.
    Basketball.

Not necessarily referring only to our pick, although yes I'd have been happier if we had moved up for Diop or something. More referring to the general nothingness of the draft overall. No real surprises, no big trades, no small trades either to be honest, just a little bit of pick shuffling and taking 6 hours to do it somehow.

Last year's draft was much more interesting.
    Dell said they had guys they were targeting to make a move for but they said there was no opportunity for them to jump up. The way he phrased it made it sound like they made calls but teams were not willing to move off of their early 2nd round picks or at least not without giving up something the Pels didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Dell said they had guys they were targeting to make a move for but they said there was no opportunity for them to jump up. The way he phrased it made it sound like they made calls but teams were not willing to move off of their early 2nd round picks or at least not without giving up something the Pels didn't want to.
    That sounds plausible and wouldn't surprise me in the least. Still, boring draft.

Curious as to who they were targetting with a move up. Considering that some early picks were traded for 2 future 2nd rounders, I am not sure how he could not make a deal if he really wanted a player.

Curious as to who they were targetting with a move up. Considering that some early picks were traded for 2 future 2nd rounders, I am not sure how he could not make a deal if he really wanted a player.
    He could have also meant maybe some players who went at the end of the 1st that they were targeting and had they dropped they would have made a move. But the way it sounded was they were active but many no teams wanted what we offered.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    This negativity around Carr is becoming cancerous

Seriously what the hell
    I wasn't being negative. If he plays anywhere near the level of Cassell he will be a great pick.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 06-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.

So you read nbadraft.net's report on him as well.
    Actually no, I just watched his highlights and he reminded me of Sam. Did they say the same?
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 06-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Actually no, I just watched his highlights and he reminded me of Sam. Did they say the same?
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tony-carr

Impressive. Sounds like you and the nbadraft.net guys are on the same page.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tony-carr

Impressive. Sounds like you and the nbadraft.net guys are on the same page.
    Interesting. My first thought was that he isn't the most athletic guy but he gets to his spots and is crafty with the ball. Just like Sam was.

Honestly I get the argument about Carr being BPA and at this spot of the draft you don't have any other choice. But I honestly think otherwise.

Since drafts and scouting are oftenly sources of good and bad surprises, I see it mostly as chance/lottery events with weighed chances. For the sake of the argument, let's say that to select a decent SF the chance go from 1/2 for top 10 picks to 1/20 for late second round (it will need a real study to have precise probability but I think it should be around this magnitude). Then you can see that drafting an SF prospect that will become decent is basically like rolling two dices with the number of winning combination varying depending on the position of your pick. Now let's ask ourselves what's better, never draft an SF (i.e. never rolling the dice) or try every year and hope for the best (i.e. rolling the dice multiple times). Since it's been at least 3 years that the Pels have been looking for a 3, probability will be much higher to get one if the team tried every time to draft one.

It may never guarantee success but I think it's a bit dumb to not try. The only reasonable arguments against would be proof that drafting other position is more likely to give you a prospect with equal trade value as a decent SF in the league and I don't see any so far.

Anyway, Carr seems a decent and overlooked player and since I tend to value skills over athlecism I have to say that I like the pick.
    Last edited by Blattman; 06-23-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Honestly I get the argument about Carr being BPA and at this spot of the draft you don't have any other choice. But I honestly think otherwise.

Since drafts and scouting are oftenly sources of good and bad surprises, I see it mostly as chance/lottery events with weighed chances. For the sake of the argument, let's say that to select a decent SF the chance go from 1/2 for top 10 picks to 1/20 for late second round (it will need a real study to have precise probability but I think it should be around this magnitude). Then you can see that drafting an SF prospect that will become decent is basically like rolling two dices with the number of winning combination varying depending on the position of your pick. Now let's ask ourselves what's better, never draft an SF (i.e. never rolling the dice) or try every year and hope for the best (i.e. rolling the dice multiple times). Since it's been at least 3 years that the Pels have been looking for a 3, probability will be much higher to get one if the team tried every time to draft one.

It may never guarantee success but I think it's a bit dumb to not try. The only reasonable arguments against would be proof that drafting other position is more likely to give you a prospect with equal trade value as a decent SF in the league and I don't see any so far.

Anyway, Carr seems a decent and overlooked player and since I tend to value skills over athlecism I have to say that I like the pick.
    So pass up on say your #30 player on the board who's BPA at the time, to draft your #60 player on the board just because theres a need?

That's how you become the Browns of the NBA

Thread Information