Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Mav optimistic about Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping that only counted towards max contracts. Tyler Johnson got like 6m for a couple years then like 19 for a couple. The other thing is I thought giving Cousins max put us well into the luxury tax but less would give us some wiggle room. Boogie and rondo (26 and 3.9) puts us just over the hard cap at 126 with Ajinca and hill which could be moved.
    Tyler Johnson had a very specific set of circumstances that allowed him to sign a poison pill contract however this was something that the new CBA that was just negotiated basically did away with. Unfortunately any contract Cousins signs will push us into the luxury tax, it doesn't have to be the max, so wiggle room is a minimum no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think part of the reason ''god awful'' is ''not an understood term'' is because it is by definition a value judgement, and therefore inherently subjective. What you mean by god awful might be entirely different from what I think is god awful, because there is no authoritative ruling as to what constitutes god awful-ness. If you want to say he's worse, then you have to establish by which metrics.

Aside from that pedantry, I don't think anyone is acting like there's no inherent risk to signing a player coming off a huge injury. But there's also a risk to not signing him, which you seem to be (mostly) leaving out of your calculation.

You'd probably be right if we had the following options:
    A) Resign Boogie for the max, have him come back however he comes back, and move on.
    B) Don't resign Boogie, move on.

But we don't have those options. What we actually have is something more like this:
    A) Resign Boogie for the max, have him come back however he comes back, and move on.
    B) Don't resign Boogie, try to move on, but accept that there is a risk of alienating the best player in franchise history in choosing this option, potentially driving him out of town given that this is against his expressly stated desires.

Now, again, this is a subjective judgement, but I would argue that option B is by far worse than option A. You may disagree, and that's absolutely fine, but someone picking A is not acting ''like there's no inherent risk'' to signing Boogie, they're just recognising that B is arguably a much worse scenario that is to be avoided.

It would be nice if this were a case of just understanding ''basic concepts'' but unfortunately, there are risks on both sides, and it's not just a case of people ignoring the risks; it's more a case of them recognising more of the potential risks, and making their own judgement based on that recognition.
    What makes you think I don't understand the fact that there is risk with letting Cousins walk? I said I'm not against bringing him back and understand that's very well the best option in this case.

As far as being god awful if that an unknown term things like superstar or starter level players should never be used again. Because there's no consensus on those term and there subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    What makes you think I don't understand the fact that there is risk with letting Cousins walk? I said I'm not against bringing him back and understand that's very well the best option in this case.

As far as being god awful if that an unknown term things like superstar or starter level players should never be used again. Because there's no consensus on those term and there subjective.
    God awful to me means pretty much the worst player ever (think Jason David with the Saints)

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

Well, yeah, you do get a lot of disagreement on those things. In a perfect world, we wouldn't use those terms, but unfortunately we have to. My response wasn't about whether or not we should use the words ''god awful'', it was in response to you asking why people don't have it as an ''understood term''. They don't, because it's not.

I didn't say that you don't understand that there's a risk. I said that when you claim people are acting as if there's no inherent risk, you're being a little unfair. People are recognising that risk. They're just also recognising another risk: one which you do also acknowledge, but for some reason don't factor into that consideration.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    My whole thing is I don't see much of a way forwards if we let Cousins just walk to the Mavs. Not like we get all that cap. The only hope is getting a sign and trade somehow. AND that deal, which apparently hard caps us which I still don't fully understand, gives us great fits for our team that allow us to improve on next season.

Because that's also it. I don't think we can act like running back the post Boogie team gets us equally deep into the postseason. Maybe it would. But I'm uncharacteristically skeptical.

I think there's no really acceptable scenario without Cousins unless it somehow means we get Paul George away from playin in LA or staying in OKC. Or, the most unlikely thing ever, we got LeBron. Oh well. 5 days from now we'll get more pieces to the puzzle to fall in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well, yeah, you do get a lot of disagreement on those things. In a perfect world, we wouldn't use those terms, but unfortunately we have to. My response wasn't about whether or not we should use the words ''god awful'', it was in response to you asking why people don't have it as an ''understood term''. They don't, because it's not.

I didn't say that you don't understand that there's a risk. I said that when you claim people are acting as if there's no inherent risk, you're being a little unfair. People are recognising that risk. They're just also recognising another risk: one which you do also acknowledge, but for some reason don't factor into that consideration.
    I've acknowledged the risk on both ends. My whole point was people saying that bringing back Cousins even on a full 4 or 5 year max deal is a no brainer. To me no brainer means there's no logical risk. How one feels this way with a player coming off of an Achilles tendon tear is beyond me. Of course letting him walk and he bounces back 100% has it on set of problems for the franchise.

Could it just be as simple as offering Cousins the full max contract...with a quiet proviso that the team can void the deal after the second or third year? Cousins gets max money and the splash contract. Team has a backdoor out of the deal if things don't work out. Would you be willing to pay Cousins that much up front the next two or three seasons? Would he be willing to allow the team an escape clause after year two or three?

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Could it just be as simple as offering Cousins the full max contract...with a quiet proviso that the team can void the deal after the second or third year? Cousins gets max money and the splash contract. Team has a backdoor out of the deal if things don't work out. Would you be willing to pay Cousins that much up front the next two or three seasons? Would he be willing to allow the team an escape clause after year two or three?
    Void for what reason? Only way to void contract is breach of the contract. I dont think you can specify a minimum number of games to be able to rip it up. Players would never allow this in the CBA

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Void for what reason? Only way to void contract is breach of the contract. I dont think you can specify a minimum number of games to be able to rip it up. Players would never allow this in the CBA
    The only way I can think of it to make the 3rd year a team option.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The only way I can think of it to make the 3rd year a team option.
    For veteran contracts I think only the final year of the deal can be an option. That's why you see so many max players getting a 4+1 deal where only the 5th year is a player option. So any 5 year deal for Cousins would only allow us to get out of it 1 year early.

Thread Information