Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mav optimistic about Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    You are assuming his "talent" will be back at 100% prior to the injury condition. That is not a certainty at all considering the severity of his injury. If he were healthy than it would
    be a no-brainer but that is not the case. It amazes me people keep on looking past that when talking about offering max deals. I bet if it were your money you'd think twice.
    Even if his "talent" is at 90%of what it was before, Boogie is still worth the max. With our cap situation its:

A:Boogie and MLE player with min contracts and trades to fill roster

Or

B: MLE player with trades and min contracts to fill the roster

Tell me which team would be better? Definitely the one with Boogie

You are assuming his "talent" will be back at 100% prior to the injury condition. That is not a certainty at all considering the severity of his injury. If he were healthy than it would
    be a no-brainer but that is not the case. It amazes me people keep on looking past that when talking about offering max deals. I bet if it were your money you'd think twice.
    If it were my money I'd already have a wink wink deal in place because talent draws customers and customers make me more money. The Pelicans have doubled in value if not more since Mr B bought them. Stars win and make you even more money. Cousins is a superstar.

When you combine that with the risk of upsetting AD and then losing him its not even close to worth it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If it were my money I'd already have a wink wink deal in place because talent draws customers and customers make me more money. The Pelicans have doubled in value if not more since Mr B bought them. Stars win and make you even more money. Cousins is a superstar.

When you combine that with the risk of upsetting AD and then losing him its not even close to worth it.
    If we are gonna re-sign Boogie, a wink wink would be good, because it would bohoove us to sign a BIG FISH, if possible, before we officially re-signing Boogie.

EXACTLY, Benson paid 338 mil in 2012 and as of last record on Forbes, all teams were worth a min. of 1 bil, with the average being 1.65 bil. That was prior to what was done (playoff sweep) this season. Therefore; it is reasonable to assume we are now in the average range. Easy to conclude the VALUE has at least tripled and more likely quintuple in six short yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If we are gonna re-sign Boogie, a wink wink would be good, because it would bohoove us to sign a BIG FISH, if possible, before we officially re-signing Boogie.
    If it is going to happen, (big fish or at least Nico value guy) has to be before Boogie. After which, and going forward only way would be S & T some of our own productive pieces

With his cap hold, we cannot really sign any big fish. It would have to be a trade.

Even if we agree to terms he doesn't have to "sign" the paperwork until we make other moves.

An overlooked aspect to the Mavs scenario- one of Boogie’s most respected friends/mentors in Rondo had a terrible time with Carlisle, enough that the ultra competitive player just gave up in the playoffs. It may come down to the money, but Boogie with Carlisle seems like a high risk ticking time bomb scenario.

I don't see this signing as a no brainer. There should be great concern. A max to Boogie if he's a shell of his former self is disastrous for us.

Unfortunately we wouldn't have any idea about his post recovery abilities until after we to give him a contract.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-22-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So they get to keep Wes Matthews? That’s not bad for them.
    Between Matthews and Boogie, they'd have 2 functioning Achilles!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't see this signing as a no brainer. There should be great concern. A max to Boogie if he's a shell of his former self is disastrous for us. A

Unfortunately we wouldn't have any idea about his post recovery abilities until after we to give himna contract.
    As soon as we traded for Cousins our fate was tied to him. It sucks that he got injured, but try explaining to AD that we let Cousins walk because we were afraid and see where that gets us. Next year it will be him demanding a trade in the summer.

Amen!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I don't see this signing as a no brainer. There should be great concern. A max to Boogie if he's a shell of his former self is disastrous for us. A

Unfortunately we wouldn't have any idea about his post recovery abilities until after we to give himna contract.

I'm sure AD would understand if Cousins might be instead limping up and down the court if that and not running like he once did. It's a more of gamble than many of us want to believe.
    Look I'm all for resigning him to a 3 year prove it deal but not anything beyond that. Let someone else take the risk and roll the dice with him.

As soon as we traded for Cousins our fate was tied to him. It sucks that he got injured, but try explaining to AD that we let Cousins walk because we were afraid and see where that gets us. Next year it will be him demanding a trade in the summer.

I'm sure AD would understand if Cousins might be instead limping up and down the court if that and not running like he once did. It's a more of gamble than many of us want to believe.
    Look I'm all for resigning him to a 3 year prove it deal but not anything beyond that. Let someone else take the risk and roll the dice with him.
    Cousins has never been a full athletic beast/running up and down the court.. Hes a big plodder with a 3 point shot that will also bang it down inside.. He has never relied on athleticism, which makes his possibility of coming back 90+% of his old self very high... We would be stupid not to re-sign him

Signing him at a max long term deal without knowing if he can come back at 100% (not 90% or less) would be poor move on the Pelicans behalf.
    Why would you pay him or any other player a premium long term salary if you are not sure you are getting the same player prior to the injury?
    It just does not make sense. Remember the Pelicans do not have a good history when it comes to rehabbing players from ANY injury. I would not
    be surprised if he doesn't even play this season due to the severity of his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Cousins has never been a full athletic beast/running up and down the court.. Hes a big plodder with a 3 point shot that will also bang it down inside.. He has never relied on athleticism, which makes his possibility of coming back 90+% of his old self very high... We would be stupid not to re-sign him

Signing him at a max long term deal without knowing if he can come back at 100% (not 90% or less) would be poor move on the Pelicans behalf.
    Why would you pay him or any other player a premium long term salary if you are not sure you are getting the same player prior to the injury?
    It just does not make sense. Remember the Pelicans do not have a good history when it comes to rehabbing players from ANY injury. I would not
    be surprised if he doesn't even play this season due to the severity of his injury.
    Read my post above.. This team is better with Boogie, and our only real option since we have ZERO cap space (besides trades), not to mention, not re-signing Cousins forces us to play AD at the 5, which he doenst want, then we ******** him off and he demands a trade, then we back to square one..

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    You pay Boogie because, as was mentioned, we are better with him. I truly think ours fans are too caught up in the Blazers series. We didn't necessarily need Boogie to win that series. But any other western conference team (look at the rosters) we need Boogie. He gives us a great advantage that very few teams can deal with.

Lets say Boogie comes back and puts up 15 pts and 8rbs. That is enough to do what we need to do. We get that production we are a guaranteed 3 seed at minimum.

This team needs more star power so I’m all in on doing whatever it takes to keep Boogie. Plus I don’t want him going to a division rival.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I hate that we're in this exact situation again like we were with Gordon. As long as his heart never appears in Dallas somehow...

We can't throw him a long term deal. I just hope we don't. Like maybe we do, but there's a team option after the 2nd season? But the actual contract would go for 5 years or whatever? Is that a thing?

What if we somehow go after a big fish in free agency, clear the cap and make the necessary room otherwise to grab someone really good...Cousins should see that team as someone worth banking on and taking a shorter term deal, right?

*sigh* I just want to have a winning team without the Sword of Damocles.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I hate that we're in this exact situation again like we were with Gordon. As long as his heart never appears in Dallas somehow...

We can't throw him a long term deal. I just hope we don't. Like maybe we do, but there's a team option after the 2nd season? But the actual contract would go for 5 years or whatever? Is that a thing?

What if we somehow go after a big fish in free agency, clear the cap and make the necessary room otherwise to grab someone really good...Cousins should see that team as someone worth banking on and taking a shorter term deal, right?

Theres no way we can clear enough cap to go after a big fish.. We can only clear up about 25 million, but that would require trading Hill, Moore and Ajinca without taking any salary back at all

You can add in Mirotic and easily get to 30 million, just depends on the big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Unfortunately only the last year of a contract can have an option.

It's not that I'm against re-signing Cousins even if it takes a full max necessarily. I just been around this board for a while and I've seen the term "we have to" use when talking about a few signings and some of them set the franchise back. So I'm against the idea that this signing is something we must do. This has as much potential to be detrimental both short and long term as it does being beneficial. That to me is far from a no brainer.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-22-2018 at 09:27 PM.

When I listen to nba podcasts and read nba articles, people are always saying how disastrous this injury was for DMC because he relies so much on his explosiveness. I’m not sure if they’ve never seen him play but I’ve never watched DMC and thought he was an explosive athlete. He is effective because he is a massive human being who is very skilled at rebounding, ball handling, passing and post moves. I have a lot of faith that he will be back to at least 90% of what he was. I think he is definitely worth th 2+1 max, the 4 or 5 yr max makes me a little nervous but hey there ain’t any players I wouldn’t be nervous to give a full max to

Quote Originally Posted by gdf22 View Post
    When I listen to nba podcasts and read nba articles, people are always saying how disastrous this injury was for DMC because he relies so much on his explosiveness. I’m not sure if they’ve never seen him play but I’ve never watched DMC and thought he was an explosive athlete. He is effective because he is a massive human being who is very skilled at rebounding, ball handling, passing and post moves. I have a lot of faith that he will be back to at least 90% of what he was. I think he is definitely worth th 2+1 max, the 4 or 5 yr max makes me a little nervous but hey there ain’t any players I wouldn’t be nervous to give a full max to
    Yea that’s true in some sense but I think some are overlooking how much he relied on a quick first step for his drives to the basket and overal footwork.

Thread Information