Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Possibilities this off season at each position

Realistic Possibilities this off season at each position

Free agents only!!! Not anyone available via trade although I expect us to try to get rid of Solomon and Ajinca

PG- we want Rondo back. How much will he sign for. He has a cap hold at 3.9 million
    SG- Do we bring back Ian Clark?
    SG- Do we try to get Garrett Temple (I love his defense and Cousins connection) how much would he cost? is he worth the MLE?
    SG- Will Barton could we get him for the MLE?
    Do you feel any of the below are not better than Solomon Hill? Each of the below would be our starter at SF, that has to be an advantage!!
    SF- Kyle Anderson
    SF- Rodney Hood
    SF- Rudy Gay
    SF- Mario Herzonja
    PF- Keep Niko and we are set also have Cheick,
    PF- Ed Davis
    C-
    1. Boogie (resign for 2+1 at 25 million)
    2. Brook Lopez (if we sign and trade Boogie sign Lopez for some of the MLE)
    3. Aron Baynes (same as Lopez if we miss him)
    4. Kyle O'Quinn (same as Baynes if we miss him)

Man, I love the way your mind works. I would take any of those top 3 guys, heck I would take 2 if we could afford them. I can’t remember who, but during the playoffs someone on TV said that Hood was going to be a good sf if he ever found the right system. I know I thought that landing Hood would be a pipe dream a few years ago, but now it’s looking like GA can potentially have his cake. I’m not sure if Hood would be the right fit for us, but I’m willing to find out.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wouldn't hate hood and Barton if we have to sign a lesser C to get better at the 2-3.

If we can move guys like hill, ajinca and maybe Moore too we can Def get Barton and hood. Maybe we get 2 vet min guys to play defense and rebound at the C position.

I think Rondo is going to take nearly 7 mil to sign. If we get him for MLE I'd be pleasantly surprised. Still see us giving max to Boogie maybe shorter term though, say, 3 yrs so he can position himself for even bigger deal. Hope we can extend NICO a yr or so to get his bird rights. Other then that I expect we run it back. AA and Oak probably hang on to give Boogie relief at least till deadline. If Shavon works out maybe he gets at least a two way. We'll see.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    After all these years, now we might finally get Rudy Gay on the team? I doubt it. But it'd be so sweet. I'd just have to pretend it's 7 years ago.

I think Clark will get more than a min contract, but if he doesnt, we will bring him back

PG- MLE on Rondo, Jackson, Clark (or other min)
    SG- we are set here, if we keep Moore
    SF- unless we make a trade, no options except for min guys
    PF- with AD and Niko we are set (add a min player maybe)
    C- Boogie comes back, Okafor and Diallo as backups

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    I think Clark will get more than a min contract, but if he doesnt, we will bring him back

PG- MLE on Rondo, Jackson, Clark (or other min)
    SG- we are set here, if we keep Moore
    SF- unless we make a trade, no options except for min guys
    PF- with AD and Niko we are set (add a min player maybe)
    C- Boogie comes back, Okafor and Diallo as backups
    This but I think except bringing Clark back, we sign a bigger wing on a min deal or cheap contract.

It's starting to feel like we won't be signing anyone of significance (other than boogie) unless we trade for someone idk.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    After all these years, now we might finally get Rudy Gay on the team? I doubt it. But it'd be so sweet. I'd just have to pretend it's 7 years ago.

Thinking the same thing unless he is thinking like ariza by signing for the minimum with the warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    It's starting to feel like we won't be signing anyone of significance (other than boogie) unless we trade for someone idk.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    We can't, we just dont have any cap space.. Even if we dont sign Boogie, we only have around 800k in cap space..

We are limited to our MLE (when we re-sign Boogie itll be taxpayer, so it can only be used on 1 player), and minimum contracts...

The only thing I can think is if Rondo does a solid and re-signs for minimum (with a promise to give a raise next year when we have early bird rights), then we use the MLE on a Hezonia type..

Maybe it’s time to call Luther Head and see if he wants to make another go of it.

I still think we need backup PG, preferably one who can shoot. As much as I think we need another SF, I think they give Solomon one more year bar some big time player coming here. I know we have the option to sign Rondo to his early bird rights for $3.92 million. I'm not sure if there's a deadline on that. Rondo seems like a smart enough player to understand that not taking up part of the MLE will help his team. Also, I can't imagine there's much of a market for Rondo. He won't be given free reign like he has here. A team like Orlando could possibly throw $5-$8 million at him but he wouldn't be winning there. Back to backup PG, I would love to get Seth Curry. He missed this entire past season with a leg injury so there's risk involved but I think that could also make him cost less. He had surgery in early February and was expected to be back fully in 3 months. With Doncic and DSJ, he may not be needed in Dallas anymore. He's not a guy to be the puppet master of the offense like Rondo is but he could play along side Jrue splitting bringing the ball up the court. He could be a spark plug off the bench. Also I think Dell will sign another big with the BAE while Boogie comes back slowly.
    Rondo/Curry/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Liggins
    Hill/Miller
    AD/Mirotic
    Boogie/Diallo/Okafor
    Welcome to be here

Early bird rights dont kick in until after the 2nd year with he same team, we wont have EBR to Rondo until next offseason, so it's either full MLE, or min contract is all we can offer him

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    IHope we can extend NICO a yr or so to get his bird rights.
    We already have them. Bird rights carry over in trades.

Early bird rights dont kick in until after the 2nd year with he same team, we wont have EBR to Rondo until next offseason, so it's either full MLE, or min contract is all we can offer him
    We don't have to offer full MLE. It can be any amount up to the MLE.

I think Rondo is going to take nearly 7 mil to sign. If we get him for MLE I'd be pleasantly surprised. Still see us giving max to Boogie maybe shorter term though, say, 3 yrs so he can position himself for even bigger deal. Hope we can extend NICO a yr or so to get his bird rights. Other then that I expect we run it back. AA and Oak probably hang on to give Boogie relief at least till deadline. If Shavon works out maybe he gets at least a two way. We'll see.
    The thing with Rondo, like Boogie, is who else pays him that sort of money?

Rebuilding/tanking teams are mostly out of the question. The league is stacked at PG comparatively to other positions, and he's burned a lot of bridges and is admittedly a finicky fit both play style and personality wise to most teams.

I honestly think we get to keep him for a fairly reasonable price.

So Lance Stephenson just joined Free Agency after Pacers just declined his team option. Could be an Option for the wing/SF position for the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    So Lance Stephenson just joined Free Agency after Pacers just declined his team option. Could be an Option for the wing/SF position for the Pels.
    A healthy Lance Stephenson is a good, high energy 6th man option. I’d definitely take him back on a cheap contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We don't have to offer full MLE. It can be any amount up to the MLE.
    Not taxpayer MLE, it can only be spent on 1 player, cant be split on 2 players

Not taxpayer MLE, it can only be spent on 1 player, cant be split on 2 players
    Yes. But you still don't have to offer the full amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes. But you still don't have to offer the full amount.
    Ahhh ok, misunderstood what you meant

Ahhh ok, misunderstood what you meant
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    A healthy Lance Stephenson is a good, high energy 6th man option. I’d definitely take him back on a cheap contract.
    The Pelicans apparently paid for his rehab when he got injured a couple of years ago and they waived him. I would like to see him come in and give the team what I had hoped Tony Allen would give them last year.

He signed for dirt cheap last time too.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    The Pelicans apparently paid for his rehab when he got injured a couple of years ago and they waived him. I would like to see him come in and give the team what I had hoped Tony Allen would give them last year.

He signed for dirt cheap last time too.
    Don't see how we can sign anyone other then with exceptions or S & T we are at cap before Rondo or Boogie

Don't see how we can sign anyone other then with exceptions or S & T we are at cap before Rondo or Boogie
    The veteran minimum is an exception. This is where you hope the lure of playing with Jrue, Boogie, and Davis brings in proven nba players around the edges rather than randos from the Euro League.

Thread Information