Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mav optimistic about Cousins

The Franchise

I mean, it's not impossible.

But I wouldn't bet on it. Mavs have found it impossible to get good free agents 90% of the time. They've also spent a lot of money in some sketchy places (not that we haven't) and they can't offer him the money we can.
    Basketball.

They are going to throw a full 4 yr max at him. It's why anyone talking about getting Cousins on a cheap deal is crazy. Maybe he is willing to do a 3 year max deal from us since we can offer more money per year due to raises if he wants to sign an even bigger deal in 3 years otherwise, we are going to have to beat a 4 yr max deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    They are going to throw a full 4 yr max at him. It's why anyone talking about getting Cousins on a cheap deal is crazy. Maybe he is willing to do a 3 year max deal from us since we can offer more money per year due to raises if he wants to sign an even bigger deal in 3 years otherwise, we are going to have to beat a 4 yr max deal.
    This horse has been beaten to death. The Pells have to offer BOOGIE the MAX of his choice. Not only because we obviously can't afford to lose his talent, but also to reassure AD by our actions that we are committed to doing whatever it takes including supermax for him next summer. Dallas only gets Cousins if he just wants to go there. Money can't/won't be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    This horse has been beaten to death. The Pells have to offer BOOGIE the MAX of his choice. Not only because we obviously can't afford to lose his talent, but also to reassure AD by our actions that we are committed to doing whatever it takes including supermax for him next summer. Dallas only gets Cousins if he just wants to go there. Money can't/won't be the reason.
    I do not see the Pelicans offering a full 5 year max. I would suspect a 2+1 max will get it done. I cannot see him going to Dallas to wallow at the bottom of the standings.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I do not see the Pelicans offering a full 5 year max. I would suspect a 2+1 max will get it done. I cannot see him going to Dallas to wallow at the bottom of the standings.
    I shared the idea of not offering max in previous discussion, but now believe because we are tax team anyway going forward, no point in poking the Bear. Max of his CHOICE.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    If $$$$ WONT be the reason, then why do we offer him 5yr Max. That seems like specious logic. If it's NOT about the $$$, then he should axiomatically have No problem coming here for 1yr less for similar $$$. We are WIN ready. Dallas is NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    If $$$$ WONT be the reason, then why do we offer him 5yr Max. That seems like specious logic. If it's NOT about the $$$, then he should axiomatically have No problem coming here for 1yr less for similar $$$. We are WIN ready. Dallas is NOT.
    Not arguing the point, in fact I ORIGINALLY posted that max shouldn't be automatically assumed. But with supermax for AD next summer, don't feel we should play games. I say have 10 different MAX type documents ready, from 1 plus 1, to 5yr increments and let him choose. Again, my primary or secondary reasoning if you will is the AD supermax of next summer. Any moves we make going forward pretty much assure we are a tax team going forward. Don't even want AD to start thinking like Kawhi, not for a second.

The Mavs and their fans should be tired of this. They always strike out on the big time free agents. Now if they're willing to give Boggie a crazy contract, and they're the only team that's offering that much, then I can see them landing Boogie.

I was listening to the local radio here in DFW and they say he won't play til January. Which is about right for an Achilles. Then he may take a month or so to get into playing shape. I'd say Boogie would be somewhat useless until the all star break.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I think Cousins has been very clear it is about the money. He was willing to resign in Sac with no hope of winning and maybe not even making playoffs because they could offer him the Supermax. I don't fault him for that but I also don't see him taking a big team discount to play here. Maybe he is willing to take a years discount but I'm not even sure about that. It depends if he wants the max money he can get guaranteed this summer or not.

I think Cousins has been very clear it is about the money. He was willing to resign in Sac with no hope of winning and maybe not even making playoffs because they could offer him the Supermax. I don't fault him for that but I also don't see him taking a big team discount to play here. Maybe he is willing to take a years discount but I'm not even sure about that. It depends if he wants the max money he can get guaranteed this summer or not.
    The shorter deal makes him a FA when he has the ability to sign the large contract for 10 year vets (and ties him to AD through his contract).

The shorter deal makes him a FA when he has the ability to sign the large contract for 10 year vets (and ties him to AD through his contract).
    I think it depends on Boogie. You might be able to sell him on that, but it's more risky: if he signs for the smaller contract, and then comes back less than optimally, he could be setting himself up for less money later, whereas just taking the max from us now might result in less, but it's guaranteed regardless of how well he's recovered.

Yeah that's how I'd try to sell it to him. It really depends on if he wants the most years guaranteed coming off his injury or if he wants to score the most money while risking possibly not coming back full healthy.

I don’t know, if Boogie goes to Dallas that wouldn’t be a bad team. Boogie/Barnes/Smith/Bazmore/Doncic/Dirk (as a reserve). Maybe they are the 8th or 9th best team in the West, but if they go back into the lottery next year then they will have more talent in that pick as well.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So? I’m optimistic about LeBron. Don’t mean a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don’t know, if Boogie goes to Dallas that wouldn’t be a bad team. Boogie/Barnes/Smith/Bazmore/Doncic/Dirk (as a reserve). Maybe they are the 8th or 9th best team in the West, but if they go back into the lottery next year then they will have more talent in that pick as well.
    Bazemore wasn’t part of the deal. Just Mavs 2019 protected 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Bazemore wasn’t part of the deal. Just Mavs 2019 protected 1st
    So they get to keep Wes Matthews? That’s not bad for them.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So they get to keep Wes Matthews? That’s not bad for them.
    Yea the Mavs 2019 1st must be very lightly protected for ATL to agree to that

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea the Mavs 2019 1st must be very lightly protected for ATL to agree to that
    Top 5 protected

Top 5 protected
    I think I saw it is top 5 next year and top 3 for the following 2 seasons.

Assuming they don't land Cousins, that is honestly a good deal for Dallas. Good chance they are in the top 5 next season and a moderate chance they could end up in the top 3 the following season.

On the bad news front, them getting Luka means they have every incentive to throw major money at Cousins.

I honestly think Capela or Jordan will be on the Mav's before Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I honestly think Capella or Jordan will be on the Mav's before Cousins
    I hope you are right and my own speculation is wrong.

My thinking on that front is the Rockets are going to go all in to bring James in, and they are probably willing to do whatever it takes to keep Cappella, and I think Cappella will probably play ball to make it work if they pay him. I honestly think James ends up in Houston and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some hard feelings with the Mavs and Jordan and that puts Cousins as their 1A.

Again, hope I am wrong, but I think the Pels are going to have to pay close to a max if they want to bring Cousins back.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    What if WE convince DeAndre to go the Chris Paul opt in and trade route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are assuming his "talent" will be back at 100% prior to the injury condition. That is not a certainty at all considering the severity of his injury. If he were healthy than it would
    be a no-brainer but that is not the case. It amazes me people keep on looking past that when talking about offering max deals. I bet if it were your money you'd think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    You are assuming his "talent" will be back at 100% prior to the injury condition. That is not a certainty at all considering the severity of his injury. If he were healthy than it would
    be a no-brainer but that is not the case. It amazes me people keep on looking past that when talking about offering max deals. I bet if it were your money you'd think twice.
    Ah, but in fairness, it's not his money. It's a billionaires money. So I'm not too worried about their frugality. All I care about is how the cash they spend goes towards my favourite team winning more games next year than they did this year. And given our cap situation, resigning Boogie seems by far the safest and easiest way to do that. Nobody expects him to come back 100%, especially not in the first year. But reduced efficacy doesn't mean that his skillset isn't still versatile, useful, and helpful. So we offer him what it takes to keep him. If that's the max, then who cares. The billionaire, somehow, will survive.

Thread Information