Pelicans Report

Thread: Finding the next Oladipo

Finding the next Oladipo

Victor Oladipo's incredible breakout year presents a pretty strong case that fit is one of the most important factors to making an average player above average. More than likely, there are are other players in the league who have the ability to be greater than their history but haven't yet been in a situation to be used correctly.

Jrue Holiday made a similar leap that turned him into a caliber of player that many didn't know he was capable of being.

That being said, with the extremely small wiggle room we have and the need to improve, what players do you think might fit this mold that you would like us to go after? What players do you think have the ability to breakout but have not yet reached that potential.

Disclaimer, some of these players I have listed may be out of our price range and pretty much all of them have warts. Finding players that are currently undervalued is the only way we are going to improve and is a decent strategy.

Some players I like:

Rodney Hood - Restricted (I am including him because his stock is low and could definitely use a change of scenery.)
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Unrestricted
    Dante Exum - Restricted (Only 22 years old has SO much potential)
    Mario Hezonja - Unrestricted (I would love to take a change on Mario)

I have been on the Hood/Henzonja train for over a year.. nice to see others hopping on board!! Bringing in both of these guys would be awesone!! Would love to land 1 of the stars but if not our focus should be on 1 of these guys if not both..

i am a fan of Hood. I think Cle is a bad fit for him

That's a nice list and a great path to explore. All could conceivably be had for the MLE, probably full and a good chance for offers more than MLE from other teams. A few interesting options via trade S. Johnson, J. Winslow, J. Richardson. Their teams prob wouldn't trade them but maybe so.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I have been on the Hood/Henzonja train for over a year.. nice to see others hopping on board!! Bringing in both of these guys would be awesone!! Would love to land 1 of the stars but if not our focus should be on 1 of these guys if not both..
    I think so too. I’ve been a fan of Jahil Okafor, an offensive big that can bang down low. I’m hoping he can be had for a prove it deal. Even if he comes off the bench that would be a guy you can’t shift away from. If we could grab these guys on prove it deals we’d be set for a good run

Rondo, Jackson
    Jrue, Miller
    Henzonja, Hood
    Davis, Mirotic
    Boogie, Okafor

Elfrid Payton and Noel wouldn’t be bad either but think Payton will cost a lot especially now that he cut his hair. ��
    Last edited by tdcreator; 06-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Dante Exum intrigues me more than the rest of the players mentioned. Dude is a lengthy, energetic defender and a really good finisher and smart player. Seems like a great fit.

Hood has HISTORICALLY been known to be fool's gold. Shown flashes then disappear. That's sign of his mental game and he disappears in big moments which I'm not a fan of. Super Mario is interesting. He had a stretch last year where he was figuring it out and show signs of what's he is capable of. Add him in a happy situation where his comfortable and competing can be Niko like
    . Exum is my favorite choice though
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I want no piece of Okafor at all. Every decision we make needs to be to maximize AD and Okafor would be a step backwards.

I am intrigued by Noel because his stock is low, he still has untapped potential and he can protect the rim.

Start him at the 5 and have Niko and AD finish games

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think so too. I’ve been a fan of Jahil Okafor, an offensive big that can bang down low. I’m hoping he can be had for a prove it deal. Even if he comes off the bench that would be a guy you can’t shift away from. If we could grab these guys on prove it deals we’d be set for a good run

Rondo, Jackson
    Jrue, Miller
    Henzonja, Hood
    Davis, Mirotic
    Boogie, Okafor

Elfrid Payton and Noel wouldn’t be bad either but think Payton will cost a lot especially now that he cut his hair. ��
    Yea I agree with Okafor.. he would be a perfect big off the bench and allowing us to have another big when Boogie comes off that can do a lot of the same things. Mirotic and Okafor compliment each other perfectly and would be one hell of a bench duo. People forget how young Okafor still is and how much better he can get. Doubt he ever becomes a super star but he can develop into a Zach Randolph type of center. Practicing with our bigs everyday will only help further his development. I would be ecstatic if we landed Hood, Henzonja, and Okafor.. I’m really hoping we come away with one of those wings but IMO we need to go hard after both.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I agree with Okafor.. he would be a perfect big off the bench and allowing us to have another big when Boogie comes off that can do a lot of the same things. Mirotic and Okafor compliment each other perfectly and would be one hell of a bench duo. People forget how young Okafor still is and how much better he can get. Doubt he ever becomes a super star but he can develop into a Zach Randolph type of center. Practicing with our bigs everyday will only help further his development. I would be ecstatic if we landed Hood, Henzonja, and Okafor.. I’m really hoping we come away with one of those wings but IMO we need to go hard after both.
    Notice Moore, hill and Ajinca aren’t there. That’s because we trading them for Lebron (I doubt Lebron wants Hood)

Rondo, Jackson
    Jrue, Miller
    Lebron, Henzonja
    Davis, Mirotic
    Cousins, okafor.

Thread Information