Pelicans Report

Thread: Alvin Gentry gets 2 year extension through 2021 (Per Woj)

Alvin Gentry gets 2 year extension through 2021 (Per Woj)

Just got the update on my phone. He deserves it.

AD, Boogie and Rondo seem to love him, so it's a good move IMO (even though I wanted him fired a few times last year)

Grats Uncle Al, amazing job to re-jig the offense on the fly after Boogie went down.

Credit has to go to all the assistant coaches as well. I hope we can retain them all.

Expected and deserved.

Just so it's clear this is a 2 year extension that guarantees his contract for the 19/20 season season and then is a team option for the 20/21 season. So basically Gentry gets a raise, 2 years of a guarantee (counting this coming season), and then the team has the option to keep him on for another year while they discuss an extension or cut bait with him after 2 years if we need to.

It's pretty fair all around.

It's the best move that we can make at the moment. Still want to replace Demps if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's the best move that we can make at the moment. Still want to replace Demps if we can.
    You must be crazy
    I'm a grinder

Love this signing! Always been a Gentry fan as well as Demps who deserves an extension as well.. so happy for both of these guys who made all the doubters and haters quiet!!

Deserves it. Had a very strong year, and a good playoff showing. Let's see if he can keep it moving forward onto bigger and better things, but he definitely earned it.
    Basketball.

Oh well, not a fan of the guy at all but he did sweep a playoff series and at least beat GS once something the Cavs may not even do in the championship series.
    Off subject here, I sure hope they don't offer Cousins a max deal. it's just way too risky. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    Oh well, not a fan of the guy at all but he did sweep a playoff series and at least beat GS once something the Cavs may not even do in the championship series.
    Off subject here, I sure hope they don't offer Cousins a max deal. it's just way too risky. IMO
    He beat GS twice, we won game 2, the refs gave it to GS though.. Game 4 wouldve been a win for us, but our shot decided to go cold all of a sudden (oddly enough in the 1 game the refs called right).. That's without a top 10 player in Boogie...

A max to Boogie isn't as risky as you would think, he is progressing fine, and his game isn't based on athleticism, it's more power, which that Achilles wont affect

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    You must be crazy
    You forget who was the one that got us into horrible contract after horrible contract and haven't invested a first round pick in over 5 years?

You forget who was the one that got us into horrible contract after horrible contract and haven't invested a first round pick in over 5 years?
    Are you suggesting that Nerlans Noel, Trey Bruke, Buddy Hield, and whatever two other picks we would have had would have been better than Jrue Holiday, DeMarcus Cousins, and Niko Mirotic? Because I disagree. You can invest in young players without them needing to be 1st round picks. As if just because they are 1st round makes it successful. Darius Miller was drafted by us, developed here and Europe and is back as a good bench contributer. Diallo and Jackson are both young players we are developing.

As far as horrible contract after horrible contract, what horrible contracts do we have right now? We have 1. By my count Houston has more horrible contracts (and worse) on their team. Cleveland has way worse contracts, Miami has worse contracts, actually we are probably one of the very few teams that only has 1 bad contract on their books currently.

You're hating because you have some preconceived idea of Dell from years ago. The truth is over the past 24 months Dell has killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Are you suggesting that Nerlans Noel, Trey Bruke, Buddy Hield, and whatever two other picks we would have had would have been better than Jrue Holiday, DeMarcus Cousins, and Niko Mirotic? Because I disagree. You can invest in young players without them needing to be 1st round picks. As if just because they are 1st round makes it successful. Darius Miller was drafted by us, developed here and Europe and is back as a good bench contributer. Diallo and Jackson are both young players we are developing.

As far as horrible contract after horrible contract, what horrible contracts do we have right now? We have 1. By my count Houston has more horrible contracts (and worse) on their team. Cleveland has way worse contracts, Miami has worse contracts, actually we are probably one of the very few teams that only has 1 bad contract on their books currently.

You're hating because you have some preconceived idea of Dell from years ago. The truth is over the past 24 months Dell has killed it.
    24 MONTHS? More like the past 14 month. How about we talk for the past 6 years... The Past 6 years and all we got to show for it is AD, Mir, Boogie(Who may leave), and Jrue. I'm sorry... that is sad. Let's see what happens in the offseason. Arguing with you while the team is on a high is pointless,tho.

What a lot of people don't understand is that Tom Benson, and now Gayle, see value and allow that value a chance. Owners that make changes just for the sake of change are rarely effective. Monty didn't get his due primarily because Dell as gm didn't have his guy. Dell chose Gentry. Progress since that merger has been slowly but consistently been positive. One can assume that the Benson philosophy may work since a poor guy who worked hard, long and smart built a pretty impressive empire.

24 MONTHS? More like the past 14 month. How about we talk for the past 6 years... The Past 6 years and all we got to show for it is AD, Mir, Boogie(Who may leave), and Jrue. I'm sorry... that is sad. Let's see what happens in the offseason. Arguing with you while the team is on a high is pointless,tho.
    ^^ is why I tend to stay away from this site during the off season. This forum needs a boat load of more knowledgeable posters and less chicken littles. Good grief.

I mean, besides all the injuries, how are the above players "sad" when they just went to the 2nd round while missing the equivalent of Damian Lillard? What other team could do that? Houston folded as soon as they lost Chris Paul. Good f'n grief.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You also have to be aware that most of the NBA has no shot of being a contender. Like 6 teams MAYBE have a shot each year. And this year, it's basically really that final four of the Warriors, Rockets, Cavs, and Celtics that you could say might win it all.

We finally are close enough to say we're close. Can't just say it's all luck when it's good and the real Demps is the bad stuff or everything else. I won't let that having it both ways stuff slide.

What teams would you say are in a better position than we are right now?

You need to gain some perspective if you think a core of AD, Cousins, Jrue, and Mirotic is sad. 25+ teams would kill for our core.

The only teams that wouldnt swap with us would be Golden State, Boston, Houston. Maybe Philly and maybe Bucks. Everyone else would love this core roster.

If Jrue, AD and nico come back in October the way they ended this season we will be in good shape. If Boogie and Rondo are back we will be relevant late again. If boogie still makes 18 and 10 a night we will be a hard out for either Houston or golden state. Our coaching staff earned our trust last season let's see how we progress this off-season.

If we can turn ajinca hill and Moore into an improved 3 and maybe a good 2 we will be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    If Jrue, AD and nico come back in October the way they ended this season we will be in good shape. If Boogie and Rondo are back we will be relevant late again. If boogie still makes 18 and 10 a night we will be a hard out for either Houston or golden state. Our coaching staff earned our trust last season let's see how we progress this off-season.

If we can turn ajinca hill and Moore into an improved 3 and maybe a good 2 we will be scary.
    I think 18/10 is pretty realistic for Boogie in his first year back. I could also see it being a sort of season of two halves, where he's getting back into game shape and learning his new boundaries during the first few months of the season, and averages something like 15/8 during that time, but comes on strong after January and finishes the last few months averaging 21/10-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think 18/10 is pretty realistic for Boogie in his first year back. I could also see it being a sort of season of two halves, where he's getting back into game shape and learning his new boundaries during the first few months of the season, and averages something like 15/8 during that time, but comes on strong after January and finishes the last few months averaging 21/10-ish.
    That's probably realistic. I might push it back to after the all star break when we really see improvements from him but it really depends on when he comes back.

Thread Information