Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Risky Business?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I like this trade, but perhaps we do this

Gordon Hayward and Baynes/Al Horford for Boogie and whatever else they want outside Jrue/AD/Rondo

We get the SF we have been needing for years and a center so AD does not have to play it full time...Though honestly it is all up to AD...If AD says he wants Boogie on the team then you have to sign boogie...I hope AD can talk boogie into taking a little less than max like as example---Max is 32 mil and pelicans offer 30 million...The only reason I say that is we will be in the luxury tax if we resign Boogie and that 2 million will save the franchise some money while Boogie is getting paid very well. I am just wondering how far will the team be willing to go into the luxury tax...We will see.
    There is NO WAY O give Boogie & Nico for that! Nico is gonna be a very important player on this team. He likes it here & the players like him. How do you give Boogie & Nico away for a marginal starting center & a SF coming off an injury more gruesome and devastating than Boogie's?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What about trading into the draft and getting some low budget contributors to go around our vets?

Niko and 51 to Suns for 16 and 31. Draft Aaron Holiday with 16th pick.

Then trade Solo Hill, Ajinca, 31 and 2019 1st for Carroll and 29. Draft Billy Preston with 29.

Resign Boogie, Rondo, Clark. Sign Speights.

We get our PG and SF of the future in the draft, shed $16 million in salary, while improving the team currently.

Rondo/Aaron/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Clark
    Carroll/Preston/Miller
    AD/Diallo/Miller
    Boogie/Speights/Okafor
    So, basically you trade away NICO for Carroll ! What is wrong with you people? And then have 2 rookies, Diallo & Speights (who is actually a #4) at #5 as rotational reserves. O M G !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, basically you trade away NICO for Carroll ! What is wrong with you people? And then have 2 rookies, Diallo & Speights (who is actually a #4) at #5 as rotational reserves. O M G !
    Yes, because I dont think we resign Niko at $16-20M next season and I think Diallo takes another step in his game. Which makes Niko our biggest trade asset.

When you look at our salary situation, if we resign Boogie and Rondo we will be a luxury tax team without adding anyone else. Which means adding another Max player is highly unlikely unless we get extremely lucky with a S&T. And even adding a mid level player would be expensive over the tax and it's really weak free agency in terms of players we could afford with the MLE. So I think we need to be creative in cutting salary and adding cheap contributors.

Cutting salary ideally would be to move Solo and Ajinca but because of Solo's extra year, it is unlikely we would get a straight salary dump for him (looking at the teams with cap space) we would at least have to take back an expiring. Even if we could, using a pick for a straight salary dump of Solo would not be wise as it does not actually clear usable cap space. So I think the best we could do in moving Solo is bring back an expiring who would contribute at a higher level than him if we are to give up a pick.

Demarre Carrol is that guy. A perfect 3 and D guy to guard opposing SFs and play small ball 4.

We also need cheap contributors. There's two routes we can take with that. We can sign some over the hill vets to minimum deals. Or we can bring in some guys on rookie deals.

I chose the guys on rookie deals route. Because over the hill vets and holding onto Niko for a season would be mortgaging our Future on a playoff run, knowing our Salary situation. Love Niko but if we can add Carroll, Speighths with Diallo taking another step and Boogie and Okafor returning, he becomes a little expendable. And he's a way to add some contributors on rookie deals.

Rondo is 33 now and not a good shooter. His years are numbered as a starting pg, he can start grooming his replacement and our PG of the future now in Aaron Holiday. Who is a perfect fit next to our big 3 with his playmaking and shooting ability, defensive prowess and ability to run a team. And he gets to learn from one of the brightest in Rondo. He's also NBA ready being a junior and having being around his brothers. Aaron would improve our guard situation immediately at the same price as a Jameer Nelson.

Billy Preston is a stud. If he didnt get into that issue about the car he owned, he would've dominated at Kansas and been a top 10 pick. He's only been playing basketball since he was 11 and he has a natural feel to the game. His personality reminds me so much of Cousins. They list him as a PF but you can tell he is a wing and prefers to play on the perimeter. Good jumpshot, handle, coordination. He could be really special for us and would fit in really well with our team on and off the court.

Last year our team grew up a lot and we have the right mix of vets and chemistry to where we have a healthy environment for rookies to grow in. Where were not asking too much of them, can give them a specific role and let them grow off of our Big 3. We're a high IQ team that now knows how to win, works hard, lives in the film room and expects to win.

And with these moves we have a team of 14 players for under $130M depending on what we give Rondo. Without the moves or moves to cut salary we would be close to $140M for 12 players with no improvements, and Niko, Diallo and Miller looking for raises the following summer including AD supermax.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 06-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Yes, because I dont think we resign Niko at $16-20M next season and I think Diallo takes another step in his game. Which makes Niko our biggest trade asset.

When you look at our salary situation, if we resign Boogie and Rondo we will be a luxury tax team without adding anyone else. Which means adding another Max player is highly unlikely unless we get extremely lucky with a S&T. And even adding a mid level player would be expensive over the tax and it's really weak free agency in terms of players we could afford with the MLE. So I think we need to be creative in cutting salary and adding cheap contributors.

Cutting salary ideally would be to move Solo and Ajinca but because of Solo's extra year, it is unlikely we would get a straight salary dump for him (looking at the teams with cap space) we would at least have to take back an expiring. Even if we could, using a pick for a straight salary dump of Solo would not be wise as it does not actually clear usable cap space. So I think the best we could do in moving Solo is bring back an expiring who would contribute at a higher level than him if we are to give up a pick.

Demarre Carrol is that guy. A perfect 3 and D guy to guard opposing SFs and play small ball 4.

We also need cheap contributors. There's two routes we can take with that. We can sign some over the hill vets to minimum deals. Or we can bring in some guys on rookie deals.

I chose the guys on rookie deals route. Because over the hill vets and holding onto Niko for a season would be mortgaging our Future on a playoff run, knowing our Salary situation. Love Niko but if we can add Carroll, Speighths with Diallo taking another step and Boogie and Okafor returning, he becomes a little expendable. And he's a way to add some contributors on rookie deals.

Rondo is 33 now and not a good shooter. His years are numbered as a starting pg, he can start grooming his replacement and our PG of the future now in Aaron Holiday. Who is a perfect fit next to our big 3 with his playmaking and shooting ability, defensive prowess and ability to run a team. And he gets to learn from one of the brightest in Rondo. He's also NBA ready being a junior and having being around his brothers. Aaron would improve our guard situation immediately at the same price as a Jameer Nelson.

Billy Preston is a stud. If he didnt get into that issue about the car he owned, he would've dominated at Kansas and been a top 10 pick. He's only been playing basketball since he was 11 and he has a natural feel to the game. His personality reminds me so much of Cousins. They list him as a PF but you can tell he is a wing and prefers to play on the perimeter. Good jumpshot, handle, coordination. He could be really special for us and would fit in really well with our team on and off the court.

Last year our team grew up a lot and we have the right mix of vets and chemistry to where we have a healthy environment for rookies to grow in. Where were not asking too much of them, can give them a specific role and let them grow off of our Big 3. We're a high IQ team that now knows how to win, works hard, lives in the film room and expects to win.

And with these moves we have a team of 14 players for under $130M depending on what we give Rondo. Without the moves or moves to cut salary we would be close to $140M for 12 players with no improvements, and Niko, Diallo and Miller looking for raises the following summer including AD supermax.
    Oh gracious, War & Peace was shorter.
    If we DONT pay Nico 18 mill, we are AbSOLUTELY NUTS ! Nico fits this offense perfectly.
    Every player that is in the 1st round of the Draft is a Stud ! So what? It is extremely atypical to hit the jackpot by drafting low 1st & 2nd rounders. Especially as immediate impact players. We don't have that kind of time. That line-up you put on the court makes this team much worse than last years team. I'm sure AD will love that. Holiday at 16 is goofy when Frank Jackson is on the team. Diallo will NEVER be a rotation player. He will be a bench filler.
    So, If Boogies start date is New Years Day.--> With that crappy team you put on the court, we will be sub 500 when Boogie comes back.

If we DONT pay Nico 18 mill, we are AbSOLUTELY NUTS ! Nico fits this offense perfectly.
    Every player that is in the 1st round of the Draft is a Stud ! So what? It is extremely atypical to hit the jackpot by drafting low 1st & 2nd rounders. Especially as immediate impact players. We don't have that kind of time. That line-up you put on the court makes this team much worse than last years team. I'm sure AD will love that. Holiday at 16 is goofy when Frank Jackson is on the team. Diallo will NEVER be a rotation player. He will be a bench filler.
    So, If Boogies start date is New Years Day.--> With that crappy team you put on the court, we will be sub 500 when Boogie comes back.
    Thank you!!!!!

I guarantee we will not pay Niko $18 mill a year, that would be unwise. That would put us over $110 mill for Jrue, AD, Boogie and Niko. No way. I dont know what kind of player you think Niko is but we're not paying AD and Boogies backup $18 million a year, and not have a starting PG or SF or any depth.
    Diallo will definitely be a rotation player, I dont know why you think he wouldn't continue to get better. He's 21 going into his 3rd season and showed very good progression at the end of his 2nd season. It's like you think Diallo has peaked out, that's so misinformed.

Diallo breaks out next season, Niko minutes get cut, and were going to give him a raise? Sometime you gotta have vision fam. Like Spurs did when they traded George Hill for Kawhi.

But what's your plan? How can we add to this team, remain competitive this season, lower salary while keeping the future in mind? What backup PG can we add? Devin Harris, Mario Chalmers? Maybe someone with 51? Put it all on Frank Jackson coming off a foot injury? What SF can we add? Keep in mind there's a salary cap with luxury tax.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 06-02-2018 at 12:11 AM.

I guarantee we will not pay Niko $18 mill a year, that would be unwise. That would put us over $110 mill for Jrue, AD, Boogie and Niko. No way. I dont know what kind of player you think Niko is but we're not paying AD and Boogies backup $18 million a year, and not have a starting PG or SF or any depth.
    Diallo will definitely be a rotation player, I dont know why you think he wouldn't continue to get better. He's 21 going into his 3rd season and showed very good progression at the end of his 2nd season. It's like you think Diallo has peaked out, that's so misinformed.

Diallo breaks out next season, Niko minutes get cut, and were going to give him a raise? Sometime you gotta have vision fam. Like Spurs did when they traded George Hill for Kawhi.

But what's your plan? How can we add to this team, remain competitive this season, lower salary while keeping the future in mind? What backup PG can we add? Devin Harris, Mario Chalmers? Maybe someone with 51? Put it all on Frank Jackson coming off a foot injury? What SF can we add? Keep in mind there's a salary cap with luxury tax.
    Ok, hoping your done with these bloviating tautologies. 1) No one has any idea what $$$ figure will be. Dell hasn't made any moves yet. So, to put a concrete $$ is premature . Thus, the rest of your argument holds no water . + Nico will be NOBODY's back-up. You seem to have a conflation problem. Coming off the bench does NOT equate to being a back-up. NICO will get starters minutes. How do you NOT pay a 6'11" legit 3pt shooter, that understands lanes, spacing, has very good handle for a big & can also post up. &&&& has ZERO problem banging on Defense. Was asked to play #5 quite often this year & handled it just fine. YEP, that sure seems like the kinda guy I'd wanna get rid of. Lawdy!

Ok, hoping your done with these bloviating tautologies. 1) No one has any idea what $$$ figure will be. Dell hasn't made any moves yet. So, to put a concrete $$ is premature . Thus, the rest of your argument holds no water . + Nico will be NOBODY's back-up. You seem to have a conflation problem. Coming off the bench does NOT equate to being a back-up. NICO will get starters minutes. How do you NOT pay a 6'11" legit 3pt shooter, that understands lanes, spacing, has very good handle for a big & can also post up. &&&& has ZERO problem banging on Defense. Was asked to play #5 quite often this year & handled it just fine. YEP, that sure seems like the kinda guy I'd wanna get rid of. Lawdy!
    What do you mean we have "no idea" what the money figure will be? We know what AD and Jrue makes and it's pretty certain Boogie making $30 mill+. So we can definitely infer... What do you mean Niko wouldn't be a backup? Coming off the bench is a backup no matter how many minutes he play and it likely wouldn't be starter minutes behind 2 superstar bigs and Diallo, who will play next season no matter what you think about him peaking.

What do you mean we have "no idea" what the money figure will be? We know what AD and Jrue makes and it's pretty certain Boogie making $30 mill+. So we can definitely infer... What do you mean Niko wouldn't be a backup? Coming off the bench is a backup no matter how many minutes he play and it likely wouldn't be starter minutes behind 2 superstar bigs and Diallo, who will play next season no matter what you think about him peaking.
    Ok, I'm gonna have to cease this conversation. Anyone that thinks Diallo is going to take any of Nicos minutes has been hitting the reefers too long. That statement is silly. Nico will see 30+ minutes per game. Eric Gordon & Lou Williams are 6th men. They certainly aren't back-ups. Quit with the semantically induced argument.
    As far as the $$ we have to spend. If we trade easy contracts ( Moore & Ajinca)- Cut Okafor, Liggins & Miller, it substantially opens up cap space. So, w/out confusing you, I hope--> We can possibly have 21-23 million in cap space. If that's the case , you find the impact player for said amount & then use the BIRD to sign Boogie. MLE for Rondo.

I might add --- Diallo is garbage. He is a 6'9" rail that has #3 body, but the skillset of a low post player that's too small to bang. He has Zero handle & still has NO clue defensively. He won't ever play rotational minutes in the NBA.

G o o D. N I G H T !

Ok, I'm gonna have to cease this conversation. Anyone that thinks Diallo is going to take any of Nicos minutes has been hitting the reefers too long. That statement is silly. Nico will see 30+ minutes per game. Eric Gordon & Lou Williams are 6th men. They certainly aren't back-ups. Quit with the semantically induced argument.
    As far as the $$ we have to spend. If we trade easy contracts ( Moore & Ajinca)- Cut Okafor, Liggins & Miller, it substantially opens up cap space. So, w/out confusing you, I hope--> We can possibly have 21-23 million in cap space. If that's the case , you find the impact player for said amount & then use the BIRD to sign Boogie. MLE for Rondo.
    Do you see who plays in front of Lou Will? Eric Gordon plays 3 different positions and plays on the court a lot with the 2 guys in front of him. Niko plays 2 positions and can't play in a lineup with Boogie and AD.

So we dump Moore and cut Miller for nothing in return, 2 rotation players last season. Just to cut 21-23 million in salary but not open up any usable cap space since we would still have Boogies cap hold, that would keep us over salary cap and would plan to use MLE for Rondo.
    So in order to keep Niko, we would have absolutely no wing depth getting rid of Moore and Miller. And we'd be capped out.
    Our $110 million roster would be
    Rondo/Jackson
    Jrue/
    Hill/
    AD/Diallo
    Boogie/Niko

Niko is a 27 year old young vet, who's best qualities are playing hard, knowing passing lanes and being in the right spot and you want to gut the team for him lol
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 06-02-2018 at 01:31 AM.

I might add --- Diallo is garbage. He is a 6'9" rail that has #3 body, but the skillset of a low post player that's too small to bang. He has Zero handle & still has NO clue defensively. He won't ever play rotational minutes in the NBA.

G o o D. N I G H T !
    Lol you seem hurt

If Dell moves Nico with the idea that Diallo can replace his minutes. He won't get fired, he will be ASSassINATED.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 06-02-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    If Dell moves Nico with the idea that Diallo can replace his minutes. He won't get fired, he will be ASSassINATED.
    You pick up Vets to help him along the way. But the idea is that PG and SF are bigger needs than backup bigs. Niko wont help us beat Golden State from the bench while KD is having target practice over Jrue and Moore again. Or while they're sagging into the lane because Rondo can't shoot and lacks a backup.

Edit: What may get Dell fired is keeping Niko and realizing during the season he probably should've moved him while his value was high. Now its February and he has to make the decision whether to trade Niko for a 2nd round pick, Pay $18 million/year to AD and Boogies backup, or let him walk for nothing after giving up a first round pick for him.

Also would like to point out that Diallo was our 3rd big during the run that got us to the playoffs, so keep sleeping on the 21 year old.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 06-02-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Lol you seem hurt
    Yes, I am. I could've been watching Archer instead of wasting my time, with what I now deem to be either a troll or well, you have to be a troll or an aspiring comedic writer that hasn't written anything all that funny yet. Although this stuff you wrote isn't funny, it's closer to funny than it is to any semblance of basketball sanity. So yes a I am hurt because I can't get those 11 minutes back & the Archer episode was a funny one.

Yes, I am. I could've been watching Archer instead of wasting my time, with what I now deem to be either a troll or well, you have to be a troll or an aspiring comedic writer that hasn't written anything all that funny yet. Although this stuff you wrote isn't funny, it's closer to funny than it is to any semblance of basketball sanity. So yes a I am hurt because I can't get those 11 minutes back & the Archer episode was a funny one.
    Definitely not a troll, as I am making coherent arguments. You might be though since your only rebuttals seem to be insult filled and screaming NO like a child. Or maybe you're just a Ni(K)o fanboy, eh idk go watch your Archer brother I'm not trying to waste your time. I didn't ask you to engage in conversation with me.

Definitely not a troll, as I am making coherent arguments. You might be though since your only rebuttals seem to be insult filled and screaming NO like a child. Or maybe you're just a Ni(K)o fanboy, eh idk go watch your Archer brother I'm not trying to waste your time. I didn't ask you to engage in conversation with me.
    Oh boy. 1) Your argument truly makes no sense. 2) As far as childish-> CAPS have several meanings - One of them is accentuation, not screaming. But, if you want to presume that I am screaming to stroke your ego, that's fine. 3) I gave you several scenarios of trade offers et al that I could see happening. You seem to be so intent on lovin some Diallo & figuring out what you're going to type next that you fail to pay attention or purposefully ignore the scenarios.
    I remember now, why I had the IGNORE button on you for the past 2 years. Damn SilverNail .. He replied with you tagged in the post & your reply popped up. Shoot! Godspeed !

What is a bit of a puzzle to me, ASSuMEing your evaluation of DIALLO is accurate, wow can't believe I can stretch my imagination that far, wouldn't it make more sense to use him as a trade chip with AA or SOLO?

Oh boy. 1) Your argument truly makes no sense. 2) As far as childish-> CAPS have several meanings - One of them is accentuation, not screaming. But, if you want to presume that I am screaming to stroke your ego, that's fine. 3) I gave you several scenarios of trade offers et al that I could see happening. You seem to be so intent on lovin some Diallo & figuring out what you're going to type next that you fail to pay attention or purposefully ignore the scenarios.
    I remember now, why I had the IGNORE button on you for the past 2 years. Damn SilverNail .. He replied with you tagged in the post & your reply popped up. Shoot! Godspeed !
    Clearly responded to your idea of gutting the entire team to keep Niko. I told you it was a bad idea, read up. And the ignore button is funny considering you were the first person to reply to me lmao. You're a sad case, keep it moving bruh.

What is a bit of a puzzle to me, ASSuMEing your evaluation of DIALLO is accurate, wow can't believe I can stretch my imagination that far, wouldn't it make more sense to use him as a trade chip with AA or SOLO?
    No because Diallo would be a cheap contributor. Niko is an expensive backup and will get more expensive next year. It's best to get what we can now for him imo to fill out the rest of the team. His trade value will certainly take a hit if we try to move him in February.

No because Diallo would be a cheap contributor. Niko is an expensive backup and will get more expensive next year. It's best to get what we can now for him imo to fill out the rest of the team. His trade value will certainly take a hit if we try to move him in February.
    If we could poll this issue, I really doubt that more then 30% of any reasonably informed fans would agree with you, and I'm being VERY generous with that number.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 06-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.

If we could poll this issue, I really doubt that more then 30% of any reasonably informed fan would agree with you, and I'm being VERY generous with that number.
    That's fine, disagreements create discussion. Why would you seek to hold on to Niko considering the cap situation?

Basketball Guru
    You pick up Vets to help him along the way. But the idea is that PG and SF are bigger needs than backup bigs. Niko wont help us beat Golden State from the bench while KD is having target practice over Jrue and Moore again. Or while they're sagging into the lane because Rondo can't shoot and lacks a backup.

Edit: What may get Dell fired is keeping Niko and realizing during the season he probably should've moved him while his value was high. Now its February and he has to make the decision whether to trade Niko for a 2nd round pick, Pay $18 million/year to AD and Boogies backup, or let him walk for nothing after giving up a first round pick for him.

Also would like to point out that Diallo was our 3rd big during the run that got us to the playoffs, so keep sleeping on the 21 year old.
    Im like you,,I don't see Niko on the team come 19/20...I also believe that we can find a cheap PF to back up boogie and AD in 19/20 but I don't think Diallo is the player.....Diallo was force to play when boogie went down in the regular season and he played on at times but we all saw what happened in the playoffs and Niko and AD were force to play big mins....you have fate in Diallo but I think you are forgetting that gentry does not when it comes to the playoffs.......

Carroll will be 32yo and if we can sign him for less than the 15mil he made this season and he ballout with gentry then I would keep Niko with AD and boogie....as of today,,I just see Niko as the best piece we have to move to try and get a SF......

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Im like you,,I don't see Niko on the team come 19/20...I also believe that we can find a cheap PF to back up boogie and AD in 19/20 but I don't think Diallo is the player.....Diallo was force to play when boogie went down in the regular season and he played on at times but we all saw what happened in the playoffs and Niko and AD were force to play big mins....you have fate in Diallo but I think you are forgetting that gentry does not when it comes to the playoffs.......

Carroll will be 32yo and if we can sign him for less than the 15mil he made this season and he ballout with gentry then I would keep Niko with AD and boogie....as of today,,I just see Niko as the best piece we have to move to try and get a SF......
    Who do you have in mind that would make our team better than if we kept Nico at say 18 mill per.? At 18, Nico is a steal . I don't see any 1 (or 2 players combined) at 18 mill that would make us better. Toss me some ideas. I suppose I can see a package somewhere if I can get a Middleton, Henson maybe. Or a Covington, Saric kinda package. But Nico has the perfect skillset for this team.

That's fine, disagreements create discussion. Why would you seek to hold on to Niko considering the cap situation?
    I indicated herein that we are now in a situation where we have to get whatever possible this summer, including trying to extend Nico, sign Boogie and Rondo, and use every thing else including future picks except AD and Jrue, to get another piece. Because going forward we are either a full on tax team, next summer AD supermax, or we blow it up
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 06-02-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Thread Information