Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The NBA is Rigged...do you believe it ?

OP ED The NBA is Rigged...do you believe it ?

.......This was the strategy, but the Golden State Warriors didn't really have to hope the referees would oblige, just look at Game 2 of the Pelicans Series in the previous round at Oracle Arena, the fix was on in that game, and the small media market Pelicans Team would have won that game if the NBA Refs didn't step in and determine that game in favor of the Warriors.
    So the Warrior players know through experience that they can camp out in the lane with Draymond Green and not get an illegal defense call, knock players to the floor, set illegal moving screens on offense, reach in from behind when they are beat causing turnovers, and hand check and hold on every drive to the basket because they are going to get the “Dream Team Treatment” in the end from the referees

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-27/nba-rigged
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Can you refball a 31-9 quarter? 25 points for a half. Not really. Houston choked.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Can you refball a 31-9 quarter? 25 points for a half. Not really. Houston choked.
    No,but you can ref to the point where you cause a team to lose all their momentum. It happened in game 1 against the Warriors as well, we had all the momentum,then they started calling phantom fouls left and right until we cooled down..

Game 2 was also obviously biased.. Game 3 was a little better (we won despite bad calls), and game 4 was finally called fair, we just went cold...

I have no doubt we wouldve taken it to 7 games if it weren't for the bias from the refs

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    No,but you can ref to the point where you cause a team to lose all their momentum. It happened in game 1 against the Warriors as well, we had all the momentum,then they started calling phantom fouls left and right until we cooled down..

Game 2 was also obviously biased.. Game 3 was a little better (we won despite bad calls), and game 4 was finally called fair, we just went cold...

I have no doubt we wouldve taken it to 7 games if it weren't for the bias from the refs
    agreed

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I was always a believer that the league is rigged for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I was always a believer that the league is rigged for years now.
    I’m right there with you. It’s more about ratings than it is about actually being the better team.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I it has nothing to do with the Pels, it has to do with the NBA. They no longer believe in may the best team win, all they now care about is star power so Stephan A has something to ramble about. Book it, Harden wins the MVP, and the Cavs and Warriors meet in the finals again. It has become like the WWE, they do what's best for NBA business.

Last edited by redrum; 03-19-2018 at 05:42 PM.

I really hope I am wrong, but it sure is suspicious.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    So... Cavs v Wars FOUR TIMES IN A ROW

Thoughts?:P

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    There's too many factors for me to accept the game is rigged. It's fan (word that rimes with rank). Plain and simple.

This finals just went from "oh maybe this could be interesting" to "I refuse to watch even 1 minute of it" in only 2 days.

“Rigged” is a strong word. Heavily impacted by suspicious calls at opportune moments? For sure.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    My favorite part was when the refs started contesting Rocket threes. Classic NBA move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I’m going to say is Tim Donaghy.

If you believe the league is rigged why do you watch?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    “Rigged” is a strong word. Heavily impacted by suspicious calls at opportune moments? For sure.
    This.

The NBA definitely has its goals and intentions. It's difficult, although I believe not impossible, to overcome those intentions.

For example: if, instead of missing 27 straight threes, the Rockets had hit 17 (hitting 21 on the night), there's nothing he refs could have done.
    Basketball.

The teams want to go up by 20 or more to prevent a comeback, but the league and the networks want close games through at least 3 quarters. Whoever is hot at the end wins that type of game. Nobody wants to see every foul or travel or discontinued dribble called, because inbounds passes and free throws are boring. Therefore the refs have to pick and choose which to call. They pick and choose in favor of certain players and teams at certain times, and we were on the wrong side in Game 2. We may never be on that side, unfortunately, but there is hope because Golden State was not a favored team 10 years ago. The NFL has similar issues with offensive holding, defensive pass interference, and other penalties that could technically be called 2-3 times more often than they are called. I still watch because there is no fair game that is available to watch, and there is always hope that we can overcome the stacked odds one day and win. The Rockets could have won if they hit 5 out of 27 in that stretch, just like the Pels could have won Game 2 if we shot our share of free throws or made a couple more 3s. So, its not totally rigged like rassling, but it is stacked enough to make it really improbable.

The Franchise
    Once Pels were eliminated, I stopped watching. I know we would get GS and Cle for the fourth year in a row.

Basketball Guru
    The rockets hit 5-7 of those 27 miss 3s they win this game...

Maybe if the rockets had gone back to the pick and roll in between those miss 3s they would had a better chance to close this game out..at some point you have to be smart and adapt to getting 2s with layups and pick n roll when the shots are not falling..... Houston stuck to their script and died by the 3 when they had a legit chance to take the warriors out....

This game 7 wasn't rigged for the warriors but there were games in the 1st and 2nd rounds that had the rigged look lol...

LeBron and the warriors for the 4th time is good ratings for the NBA smh lol ...this series should be a sweep but the warriors will give LeBron a win so they can celebrate at home....

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    All I’m going to say is Tim Donaghy.
    Donaghy even has had some interesting things to say about what goes on behind the scenes. His memoir that he wrote got cancelled because of "liability concerns," and there's a rumor that the NBA threatened legal action.

I mean, even look at what happened during game 1 of the semis with the Pels and Warriors. How drastic was the free throw discrepancy again? It was pretty substantial.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don't buy that refs are being told to make sure teams win.

But I do buy refs being told to call on reputation, not what they see.

I also think it's possible to miss 27 3s in a row becuase driving the lane and getting clobbered and getting zero calls for it will make you decide to just chuck and pray.

I don't think the NBA is rigged. Its just poorly officiated. It just so happens that the Warriors are on the right side of a disproportionate amount of bad calls. I don't see anything wrong with a jump shooting team shooting more free throws than a drive to the goal team. Isn't that normal? Last year when Steph Curry shot 10 free throws in the 1st quarter of the NBA Finals, I just thought the Cavs needed to play better defense. IJS
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

This is the 1st time ever in the history of major US sports that the same two teams have met 4 years in a row.

This coming from the same league that had the Lakers and Celtics rivalry. Even they never had this happen.

This is one of the worst things that could happen to the league. I hope the ratings absolutely tank so they lose a ton of money and maybe, just maybe, they might so something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is the 1st time ever in the history of major US sports that the same two teams have met 4 years in a row.

This coming from the same league that had the Lakers and Celtics rivalry. Even they never had this happen.

This is one of the worst things that could happen to the league. I hope the ratings absolutely tank so they lose a ton of money and maybe, just maybe, they might so something.
    What would you suggest they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Shake everything up! Fantasy draft for every team!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What about an actual hard cap for every team? Keep everything like it is now except add a hard cap at some percentage of the soft cap. The tax has not kept teams from spending at will. Set a hard cap for every team at about 25% of the soft cap. So the cap for this year was 99 million with the tax line at 119. If there was a hard cap at 125m these are the teams that would be affected: Cleveland and Golden State are at 135, OKC is at 133, and Washington is at 124. The current situation is ruining the league.

Edited to add: I think the players would go for a hard cap if it was set at a higher amount. I don't know if the owners would go for the higher amount.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 05-29-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Thread Information