Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Risky Business?

Trade Idea Risky Business?

Brainstorming a way to balance out the roster better, thought this may be good risk/reward:

Mirotic + Hill

for

DeMarre Carroll + Jeremy Lin

Boogie / Diallo
    AD / Carroll
    Carroll / Miller
    Jrue / Clark
    Rondo / Lin

Thoughts?

Lin is a smart player. I would be for it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Had pass for me. The only way I move Mirotic is in a deal for a superstar. We have no one behind him I trust for a big man rotation and Cousins will need time to get completely healthy. AD / Cousins / Mirotic is the best big rotation in the entire NBA.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Lin is a smart player. I would be for it.
    Lin is smart, it's the PLAYER part that I don't necessarily agree with. He's been on the bench more than he's played . ALWAYS HURT. Why would we give up a borderline all star player for an oft injured borderline stating guard, who gives you no more than Rondo does? I have to agree w/ Myth. The ONLY upgrade from NICO is an a immediate impact difference making all star. Other than that, there is no way I get rid of Nico.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Brainstorming a way to balance out the roster better, thought this may be good risk/reward:

Mirotic + Hill

for

DeMarre Carroll + Jeremy Lin

Boogie / Diallo
    AD / Carroll
    Carroll / Miller
    Jrue / Clark
    Rondo / Lin

Thoughts?
    Diallo ? He will never be more than an out of the rotation seat filler.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm not for dealing Mirotic for just some okay players. They have to be dynamic. Able to significantly impact a game by themselves. Not someone like Shaun Livingston or a really good role player. Because that's what Mirotic already is. Why make a lateral trade?

Solomon Hill will be on this team. Don't forget he came off a torn hamstring in March.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Solomon Hill will be on this team. Don't forget he came off a torn hamstring in March.
    I wouldnt bet on Hill being on this team, not at his current salary... He will 90% be moved in a trade for another SF, and we will have that new guy with Miller backing him up

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    I wouldnt bet on Hill being on this team, not at his current salary... He will 90% be moved in a trade for another SF, and we will have that new guy with Miller backing him up
    Well the issue is his current salary. I can't imagine how we deal a player who underperformed last year and was injured 80% of this year for a quality starter, much less a SF, the most sought after position in the league. I would love to get rid of Solo but it's practically impossible to dump garbage and get quality back.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Well the issue is his current salary. I can't imagine how we deal a player who underperformed last year and was injured 80% of this year for a quality starter, much less a SF, the most sought after position in the league. I would love to get rid of Solo but it's practically impossible to dump garbage and get quality back.
    Asik for Niko. Just gonna have to add a first round pick and it's very much possible.

It doesn't really matter what we do salary wise of we sign boogie to the max. We will have like 100 mil between AD, Boogie and Jrue. That said, I wouldn't lose sleep if we moved Moore, ajinca, and hill this summer and managed to turn them into a starting 3 and a good depth player.

A month ago, Mythol and I were debating giving Boogie the max, we agreed that it was necessary, but I felt we needed safeguard benchmarks to protect us should he not come back 80% effective by all star break 2019. His position being we should just do it anyway rather then gamble on making Boogie angry. MY POSITION HAS CHANGED. Chances are we will have to supermax AD anyway next summer so any opportunity to better this roster has to happen this summer.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Zach Lowe thinks we might only re-sign Boogie to trade him. I don't know who we could get that's will be a significant improvement in his thinking. But whatever.

I think our best options are to keep Boogie. Try to build a superteam if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Zach Lowe thinks we might only re-sign Boogie to trade him. I don't know who we could get that's will be a significant improvement in his thinking. But whatever.

I think our best options are to keep Boogie. Try to build a superteam if we can.
    Agreed.

I've never really liked Lowe. He seems to get a ton of credit all the time, but more often than not he just looks like some clueless writer doing a convincing but ultimately superficial impression of a guy who actual knows stuff.
    Basketball.

Since this thread is titled risky business I will propose some of my own. I'm not saying this is something that I would go for, just that is intriguing.

What about trading injured near-max players:

Sign and trade Boogie for Gordon Hayward. What would Boston have to throw in to make that appealing? Morris perhaps?

Assuming both players come back healthy the Pelicans gain depth on the wing and retain depth in the front court while Boston gets the other stud from New Orleans to supplant their fans' AD obsession.
    Last edited by boardtown; 05-30-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    Since this thread is titled risky business I will propose some of my own. I'm not saying this is something that I would go for, just that is intriguing.

Sign and trade Boogie for Gordon Hayward. What would Boston have to throw in to make that appealing? Morris perhaps?

Assuming both players come back healthy the Pelicans gain depth on the wing and retain depth in the front court while Boston gets the other stud from New Orleans to supplant their fans' AD obsession.
    That move wouldn't be bad except if he ops out in two years we don't have his bird rights and thus no advantage to keep him. Plus might tick off AD, he is not going to play 5. PERIOD!

What about a 3 way centered around:

Miami In: Boogie
    Milwaukee In Whiteside
    New Orleans In: Bledsoe, Josh Richardson, John Henson

Obviously needs more pieces, but would leave us like:

Henson / AD
    AD / Mirotic
    J Rich / Miller
    Jrue / Moore
    Bledsoe / Rondo

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    That move wouldn't be bad except if he ops out in two years we don't have his bird rights and thus no advantage to keep him. Plus might tick off AD, he is not going to play 5. PERIOD!
    I dont know what's so hard for everyone to understand about this.. AD is on record saying he does not want to play the 5 full time, which is why Dell was trying so hard to get a 5 at the trade deadline when we acquired Boogie..

They ASKED AD to play the 5 when Boogie went down, and he agreed only because we didnt have any other option really

A month ago, Mythol and I were debating giving Boogie the max, we agreed that it was necessary, but I felt we needed safeguard benchmarks to protect us should he not come back 80% effective by all star break 2019. His position being we should just do it anyway rather then gamble on making Boogie angry. MY POSITION HAS CHANGED. Chances are we will have to supermax AD anyway next summer so any opportunity to better this roster has to happen this summer.
    Just to clarify, my position was we are going to do it because he is going to be offered the max by another team and you cannot let talent like his leave. My position was also any discussion of an incentive based contract is worthless because (a) another team will offer him the max without being based on incentives and (b) we play around with trying to get too fancy with contracts and Cousins gets pissed with the games and just take the guaranteed money.

You state your position has changed so this summer is the last time to add talent. Which way does it change? You mean you'd let Cousins walk to try to add someone else or you mean you'd sign Cousins no matter what since this is our last shot at top level talent?

Basketball Guru

I like your Boston trade...plus make a trade with Toronto.....2 years ago I think it was a Toronto paper reported that the raptors offered us valanciunas at the trade deadline or before the draft.....if Toronto still want to move him,,I'll offer hill and ajinca for valanciunas ....ajinca is a expiring contract and hill is a SF that can help them......... valanciunas is a double double guy who can score inside the paint and outside plus he is a legit 5 for ad.....

Rondo../jackson
    Jrue../moore
    Hayward./miller
    Ad../niko../diallo
    Valanciunas../morris../okafor

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Just to clarify, my position was we are going to do it because he is going to be offered the max by another team and you cannot let talent like his leave. My position was also any discussion of an incentive based contract is worthless because (a) another team will offer him the max without being based on incentives and (b) we play around with trying to get too fancy with contracts and Cousins gets pissed with the games and just take the guaranteed money.

You state your position has changed so this summer is the last time to add talent. Which way does it change? You mean you'd let Cousins walk to try to add someone else or you mean you'd sign Cousins no matter what since this is our last shot at top level talent?
    It means SIGN HIM no matter what. Would also like to extend Nico on 1 plus 1 to get his bird rights and use any options and picks to get any other piece. I really believe we can run the table with this group.

It means SIGN HIM no matter what. Would also like to extend Nico on 1 plus 1 to get his bird rights and use any options and picks to get any other piece. I really believe we can run the table with this group.
    Our position aligns pretty closely then.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We are going to sign Boogie. I will be very surprised if we don’t. We definitely would have been better with Boogie had he stayed healthy the whole season. We did great but Boogie is wayyyyyyy more talented than anyone we could possibly sign in FA. I think we will sign him and he will have a big comeback. He’s a hell of a player and he’s young and the surgery for his injury went very well. The whole team wants him back. We have to make it happen. It’s risky but he’s still going to be very good....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this trade, but perhaps we do this

Gordon Hayward and Baynes/Al Horford for Boogie and whatever else they want outside Jrue/AD/Rondo

We get the SF we have been needing for years and a center so AD does not have to play it full time...Though honestly it is all up to AD...If AD says he wants Boogie on the team then you have to sign boogie...I hope AD can talk boogie into taking a little less than max like as example---Max is 32 mil and pelicans offer 30 million...The only reason I say that is we will be in the luxury tax if we resign Boogie and that 2 million will save the franchise some money while Boogie is getting paid very well. I am just wondering how far will the team be willing to go into the luxury tax...We will see.
    Last edited by msw2024; 06-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.

What about trading into the draft and getting some low budget contributors to go around our vets?

Niko and 51 to Suns for 16 and 31. Draft Aaron Holiday with 16th pick.

Then trade Solo Hill, Ajinca, 31 and 2019 1st for Carroll and 29. Draft Billy Preston with 29.

Resign Boogie, Rondo, Clark. Sign Speights.

We get our PG and SF of the future in the draft, shed $16 million in salary, while improving the team currently.

Rondo/Aaron/Jackson
    Jrue/Moore/Clark
    Carroll/Preston/Miller
    AD/Diallo/Miller
    Boogie/Speights/Okafor

Thread Information