Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cousins Interview

Cousins Interview

https://theundefeated.com/features/n...training-camp/

Talks about rehab, open to rejoining pels but wants to play for a contender. Will do what's best for him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

From what I gather from that interview, hes going to be back if we want him back.. He wont take a discount, but if we offer him the same as anyone else does, he will be back next year

Also, it appears the instagram situation = Coachella 2.0 much adoo about nothing

It sounds more positive to me after reading this. I believe that the unfollow thing was his attempt at gaining leverage after reading this. It's just up to pels if they want to do it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    From what I gather from that interview, hes going to be back if we want him back.. He wont take a discount, but if we offer him the same as anyone else does, he will be back next year
    That's what it sounds like to me.

Sounds like a guy who knows that with the long term implications of an injury like his, at the age of 28, at such a size, this is his time for the big money contract. If he gets five years, this contract will end when he's 33, and he knows he won't be getting a ton of money at that age. So he wantss the money now. If we give him it, he'll be back, if we try to play hard-ball too much then he'll go to somewhere that will pay him.

Sounds simple to me, we pay him, he's back.
    Basketball.

Me too and that’s fair! I can’t fault him for that. I want him to play for us but I understand if he goes somewhere else if they offer way more money. There’s such a small window where they can make as much money as possible and I wouldn’t knock him for taking advantage of it.

Yeah. I always figured it was the most money. I don't blame him. He's got to take care of his family. I'm sure he wants to be here but he wants the best deal he can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah. I always figured it was the most money. I don't blame him. He's got to take care of his family. I'm sure he wants to be here but he wants the best deal he can get.
    I dont think most money will win.. It'll be most money by a competitor, which realistically unless we do a S&T, I dont see any competitive team that can/will offer him what we can..

In the end, it's just going to be a matter of if we want him back

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I doubt he comes back. Demps wants to negotiate and boogie does not.. can’t blame either side. It’s a huge mistake if he comes back successfully but is on a different team. There’s a lot at stake. If Demps makes the wrong move it could lead to AD wanting to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think most money will win.. It'll be most money by a competitor, which realistically unless we do a S&T, I dont see any competitive team that can/will offer him what we can..

In the end, it's just going to be a matter of if we want him back
    He was willing to stay in Sacramento due to the money. Im not positive it has to be a competitor at all.

What do current Pelicans teammates Anthony Davis and Rondo say about your pending free agency? And Rondo will be a free agent too.

We haven’t talked. My full focus has been on my rehab. Actually, A.D. hit me the other day, sending me some laughing emojis about the s— that is going on … but that’s the only time that we’ve spoken since the season was over. I hit them after the game, told them, ‘Great season’ and all that, but since then we haven’t really talked.
    This is a recent article right? I'm pretty sure they talked a lot games 3 and 4 of the Blazers series.

And the fact that an article that says "‘Should the Pelicans re-sign or let Demarcus Cousins go?’" might make him feel jaded (reason for the Pelicans twitter unfollow) is a good sign to me.

He was willing to stay in Sacramento due to the money. Im not positive it has to be a competitor at all.
    I don’t know where your getting this from. He was all in with Sacramento. He built foundations, helped out communities, and signed long term with them. He wanted to stay in Sacramento. He was completely loyal even with all the ownership and management dysfunction but they turned their back on them. They told him he wasn’t going to be traded and they lied. That’s why he’s trying to protect himself now because he feels like the nba is a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I don’t know where your getting this from. He was all in with Sacramento. He built foundations, helped out communities, and signed long term with them. He wanted to stay in Sacramento. He was completely loyal even with all the ownership and management dysfunction but they turned their back on them. They told him he wasn’t going to be traded and they lied. That’s why he’s trying to protect himself now because he feels like the nba is a business.
    Nice how you gloss over the fact that they were also going to cut him a check for over 200m to stay there.

Sacramento was also the team that drafted him, and he wanted to win there.. When they turned their back on him all loyalty went out the window...

Boogie wants to win first IMO, and money is second...

You can tell he was hurt he qasnt able to be out there for the playoffs, and he knows him and AD together with Jrue playing the way he has, can be a dominant team

Sacramento was also the team that drafted him, and he wanted to win there.. When they turned their back on him all loyalty went out the window...

Boogie wants to win first IMO, and money is second...

You can tell he was hurt he qasnt able to be out there for the playoffs, and he knows him and AD together with Jrue playing the way he has, can be a dominant team
    That's simply not true that he wants to win first. He was willing to stay in Sacramento because they were cutting him a check for over 200m. Maybe he wanted to win there, sure, but that's irrelevant because they were a loser while he was there and he was still very willing to resign due to the size of the check.

Look, I don't fault Cousins for this. I totally understand him taking the most money. I can't say I wouldn't do the same because in 10 years once he's retired it's that money he makes that will pay for him and his family the rest of the way. But this narrative he wants to win 1st simply isn't backed up by anything he has done. Even his free agency now, there is no argument that the teams willing to offer him the max are in a better position to win than the Pelicans, but he is still considering them. Why? It's not because he has ties to them, it's due to money.

That's simply not true that he wants to win first. He was willing to stay in Sacramento because they were cutting him a check for over 200m. Maybe he wanted to win there, sure, but that's irrelevant because they were a loser while he was there and he was still very willing to resign due to the size of the check.

Look, I don't fault Cousins for this. I totally understand him taking the most money. I can't say I wouldn't do the same because in 10 years once he's retired it's that money he makes that will pay for him and his family the rest of the way. But this narrative he wants to win 1st simply isn't backed up by anything he has done. Even his free agency now, there is no argument that the teams willing to offer him the max are in a better position to win than the Pelicans, but he is still considering them. Why? It's not because he has ties to them, it's due to money.
    What’s the ideal free-agency destination for you?

Somewhere I’d be appreciated and a contender. A team that’s ready to contend.
    That tells me, hes considering more than the money

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

You are not reading this situation correctly. Cousins sells merchandise that only reads "Loyalty" written on it. His desire to remain in Sacramento was not motivated primarily by the size of the check. He had loyalty to the team and the community. They trampled on that by trading him.

Now, his loyalty is to New Orleans and the Pelicans. He hasn't been ere for that long, so its probably not as strong of a bond, but it is there. He also wants to win. I don't see Cousins signing with a team that he doesn't think will contending next year. The Pelicans are the favorites to bring Cousins back "Zero Doubt" on that. The only way he doesn't come back is if the Pelicans stick by a lowball offer and drive him away by showing him that he's not appreciated here.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    You are not reading this situation correctly. Cousins sells merchandise that only reads "Loyalty" written on it. His desire to remain in Sacramento was not motivated primarily by the size of the check. He had loyalty to the team and the community. They trampled on that by trading him.

Now, his loyalty is to New Orleans and the Pelicans. He hasn't been ere for that long, so its probably not as strong of a bond, but it is there. He also wants to win. I don't see Cousins signing with a team that he doesn't think will contending next year. The Pelicans are the favorites to bring Cousins back "Zero Doubt" on that. The only way he doesn't come back is if the Pelicans stick by a lowball offer and drive him away by showing him that he's not appreciated here.
    And now he's selling '0doubt' t-shirts for $30 each. Loyalty is a thing of the past for him since Sac traded him. He's looking to make as much money as he can. Sure he probably won't sign with teams like Magic, ATL, Suns, but if they were the only teams that offered him the full max, I think there's a possibility he would go and him and his agent will spin it as him being the key to turning it all around, organization is on the right path, etc. Actually I can see him signing with the Mavs for a near max for 4 years. They were one of the worst teams in the league. Lakers also a real possibility.

That tells me, hes considering more than the money
    No one is saying that he wouldn't like to be on a contender. Of COURSE HE WOULD. Of course his ideal situation is to be paid the most money he can while on a contending team. But he has done ZERO actions that say he is willing to take a discount to be on a contender. To the opposite, everything he has done so far says its money first, then contender.

The only way he doesn't come back is if the Pelicans stick by a lowball offer and drive him away by showing him that he's not appreciated here.
    Another way of saying that is..... The only way he doesn't come back to the Pelicans is if they ** OFFER HIM LESS MONEY. ** Thanks for saying exactly what I've been saying this entire time.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Another way of saying that is..... The only way he doesn't come back to the Pelicans is if they ** OFFER HIM LESS MONEY. ** Thanks for saying exactly what I've been saying this entire time.
    I'm not saying what you've be saying. It would have to be significantly less. And even then, he would be leaving because it shows that he's not appreciated, not because he cares about having the most $.

I'm not saying what you've be saying. It would have to be significantly less. And even then, he would be leaving because it shows that he's not appreciated, not because he cares about having the most $.
    LOL. Yes it's "because it shows he's not appreciated" not because the check is smaller.

It just so HAPPENS that the check would be smaller and he doesn't resign here.

The way I interpreted it is that he wants to come back. He seems like a type of guy who cares way more about the fans and players than the front office. He talked fondly about both of them. I don't understand this money thing either. I think Dell will offer and a 3 year/100 million and if he doesn't want that then Dell will offer him the 5 year max. When has Dell ever underpaid a FA? As fans, we constantly complain about Dell overpaying. Eric Gordon, Asik, Ajinca, Solomon Hill, and Jrue are all examples of overpays people have talked about. I don't think Dell will hold back on paying Boogie at all.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    The way I interpreted it is that he wants to come back. He seems like a type of guy who cares way more about the fans and players than the front office. He talked fondly about both of them. I don't understand this money thing either. I think Dell will offer and a 3 year/100 million and if he doesn't want that then Dell will offer him the 5 year max. When has Dell ever underpaid a FA? As fans, we constantly complain about Dell overpaying. Eric Gordon, Asik, Ajinca, Solomon Hill, and Jrue are all examples of overpays people have talked about. I don't think Dell will hold back on paying Boogie at all.
    I agree with the statement that Dell has never held back from giving up the cash, and that I would expect him to do the same for Boogie.

That said, I resent you for including Jrue in a list of overpays, given that he has shown that he is definitely not being overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree with the statement that Dell has never held back from giving up the cash, and that I would expect him to do the same for Boogie.

That said, I resent you for including Jrue in a list of overpays, given that he has shown that he is definitely not being overpaid.
    I wasn't speaking of my own personal views, I was speaking of the fanbases view of Dell. I love Jrue and so does most of the fanbase, we view Jrue as a good contract now but 6 months ago? People were still calling it an overpay. There hasn't been sustained success with him. I believe we are on the right route but the people calling it an overpay 6 months ago weren't crazy, they had a legitimate point.

Thread Information