Pelicans Report

Thread: Coach Rondo

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Coach Rondo

Background

1. Rondo is a different (read: better) player in the playoffs.

2. Rondo is valued for his presence as a leader and "coach".

3. Rondo isn't dialed in (or possibly capable) of playing at his playoff high for 82 games during regular season.

Problem

Rondo is a free agent that the Pelicans value and he significantly overplayed a vet minimum conract

Solution

Sign Rondo to be an assistant coach (you can call him the heir to Gentry) and then sign him to a players contract for the last 20 games of the season and hopefully the playoffs. There's no cap on what we can pay coaches, and no rule that says Rondo can't resume his playing career at a future point in the season. You could probably finagle it up to about $5m for the season between coaching and playing salary. Just a thought.

We can pay Rondo with our MLE.. We will more than likely be a taxpaying team so the MLE will be 5.4 million we can offer him

He's not 40 and retiring. Why would he sign a coaching contract and only play 20 games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    We can pay Rondo with our MLE.. We will more than likely be a taxpaying team so the MLE will be 5.4 million we can offer him
    Keep in mind if we use the MLE we hard cap ourselves. Given how close we were to the hardcap this season, my belief is they will try their hardest to avoid it. We do have a couple trade exceptions he could sign into but I think those might hardcap the team too, I'd have to go back and check on exactly what actions do hardcap a team.

If Rondo were willing we could sign him to a vet minimum deal and then at the end of this coming season we'd have his early bird rights to give him a raise on his next contract. However that's a big ask. The only thing that might tip it to our favor is Rondo has played around the league now and he's been in some bad situations. Maybe he likes it here enough to take one for the team.

While I like the strategy, I would like to see Rondo as an assistant coach regardless once he is finished playing.

Our best bet remains finding a way to turn ajinca and hill into someone better with our scheme and cap relief. Maybe we can hit on our second rounder... didn't the Celtics get ojaley in the second round last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Keep in mind if we use the MLE we hard cap ourselves. Given how close we were to the hardcap this season, my belief is they will try their hardest to avoid it. We do have a couple trade exceptions he could sign into but I think those might hardcap the team too, I'd have to go back and check on exactly what actions do hardcap a team.

If Rondo were willing we could sign him to a vet minimum deal and then at the end of this coming season we'd have his early bird rights to give him a raise on his next contract. However that's a big ask. The only thing that might tip it to our favor is Rondo has played around the league now and he's been in some bad situations. Maybe he likes it here enough to take one for the team.
    Trade exceptions are for trades, not signings...

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Trade exceptions are for trades, not signings...
    As yes, I was thinking of being able to sign a player into it but that would be a player from another team using a sign and trade. Wouldn't help for Rondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

It would only hardcap us if we signed him to more than the taxpayer MLE (5.4 mil)... As long as we sign him to that or less, we are still ok.. That's what the warriors used to sign Young this year

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    It would only hardcap us if we signed him to more than the taxpayer MLE (5.4 mil)... As long as we sign him to that or less, we are still ok.. That's what the warriors used to sign Young this year
    I don't think we have the tax player MLE amount yet for next season but yes.

Thread Information