Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Boogie is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't even know what off means in that context.
    I read it as ...he’s off.
    '' We are here!!''

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    I read it as ...he’s off.
    He's off what? He's off... Ended? He's off to a new team? He's off the rocker?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I figured it was understood that I meant Asik heading into his free agency in 2015, but apparently not. Let's set the scene for you:

Asik: team coming off of an inspired stretch/playoff run that ended in a convincing defeat to the Warriors. Asik was acquired via trade before the season, had an up-and-down year and was virtually unplayable in the playoffs due to both the opponent and his own limitations. Was not highly sought after in free agency (SB nation had him ranked as the 47th best free agent, behind the likes of Al-Farouq Aminu) or, to my knowledge, rumored to be linked with any other teams. The success of the Warriors that season (their first title) and, in particular, their "death lineup", was a clear signal to the entire league that small ball was the way of the immediate future. Somehow still managed a 5 year, $60MM deal.
    Let me set the scene for you- it wasn't 12 million per, first of all. 2) on the market at that time was ZERO Centers that you could get for 10,500,000 per year. 3) He did NOT have a catastrophic injury & 4) Pels had a completely different identity at that time. Different offense, new coaching staff etc. Asik was a proven defensive & rebounding commodity. Once again, your logic is specious comparing the 2. Absolutely NOTHING in common. So, let me set the scene for you again- I've been sitting in that arena watching crappy teams since Dan Dickau & I would be VERY reluctant to give 1/3 of my salary cap to a guy that can't drive because he can't put his foot on a gas pedal right now. I am a HUGE Boogie fan. Doesn't correlate to giving him that money, hoping he comes back. Riddle me this - Pay Boogie 30 million, he doesn't come back until January & we miss the playoffs by a couple of games? You call that a Step Forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Let me set the scene for you- it wasn't 12 million per, first of all. 2) on the market at that time was ZERO Centers that you could get for 10,500,000 per year. 3) He did NOT have a catastrophic injury & 4) Pels had a completely different identity at that time. Different offense, new coaching staff etc. Asik was a proven defensive & rebounding commodity. Once again, your logic is specious comparing the 2. Absolutely NOTHING in common. So, let me set the scene for you again- I've been sitting in that arena watching crappy teams since Dan Dickau & I would be VERY reluctant to give 1/3 of my salary cap to a guy that can't drive because he can't put his foot on a gas pedal right now. I am a HUGE Boogie fan. Doesn't correlate to giving him that money, hoping he comes back. Riddle me this - Pay Boogie 30 million, he doesn't come back until January & we miss the playoffs by a couple of games? You call that a Step Forward ?
    Riddle me this..

We dont pay Boogie, we lose him, AD is forced into playing the 5 which he doesn't want to play, AD gets mad and demands a trade, we trade him and we fall to Suns/Kings status...

Is that a step forward?

The Franchise
    I guess we’ll just have to wait till July 1st. Either he stays or goes I think it’s a sign and trade unless he goes to Dallas or Phoenix. I personally think he stays. Jrue did the same postering last year. If it’s up to me I’d give 100 million over 3 years with a team out for year 3 but if he really pushed I’d give the player option.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Riddle me this..

We dont pay Boogie, we lose him, AD is forced into playing the 5 which he doesn't want to play, AD gets mad and demands a trade, we trade him and we fall to Suns/Kings status...

Is that a step forward?

Yeah,if boogie leave ,,I see gentry riding Niko and ad at the 4 and 5....yeah demps will sign a center but gentry will try to ride his small ball into another contract.....I also see ad leaving if we force this on him....

My thing is resign boogie...I'm banking on boogie playing after the all-star break.......trade Niko at the deadline and hope we can get a SF...be ready to make the big run in the 19-20 season with a healthy boogie,,,a solid SF and a new coach that will keep ad at the 4 and use the bigs to their advantage.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Yeah,if boogie leave ,,I see gentry riding Niko and ad at the 4 and 5....yeah demps will sign a center but gentry will try to ride his small ball into another contract.....I also see ad leaving if we force this on him....

My thing is resign boogie...I'm banking on boogie playing after the all-star break.......trade Niko at the deadline and hope we can get a SF...be ready to make the big run in the 19-20 season with a healthy boogie,,,a solid SF and a new coach that will keep ad at the 4 and use the bigs to their advantage.....
    Boogie will miss a little time, but he should be good to play fully in August/September... Recovery time for an Achilles tear is usually 6 months when they can return to full activity..

I think we need to keep Niko, trade a combo of Moore, Hill, Ajinca and future 1sts to get our SF...

The more I think about it, I wonder if Boston would be willing to part with someone (we all know they love draft picks).. with Hayward coming back next year they maybe willing to part with Brown

Riddle me this..

Is that a step forward?
    Well, I'm gonna kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone. 1) 6 months is 100% WRONG. The shortest duration of any player in NBA coming back from an Achilles Tendon Tear is 246 days . That's Wesley Mathews. 265 days for Rudy Gay. Both guys much smaller that Boogie. Don't have to be a Math major to discover that 246 days is NOT 6 months. So, I guess we have yet to find an actual sports medicine grad on this website. Thus, the rest of your analogy need not be addressed because it is dependent upon your eronious healing time table. Thus, your credibility is shot.

Well, I'm gonna kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone. 1) 6 months is 100% WRONG. The shortest duration of any player in NBA coming back from an Achilles Tendon Tear is 246 days . That's Wesley Mathews. 265 days for Rudy Gay. Both guys much smaller that Boogie. Don't have to be a Math major to discover that 246 days is NOT 6 months. So, I guess we have yet to find an actual sports medicine grad on this website. Thus, the rest of your analogy need not be addressed because it is dependent upon your eronious healing time table. Thus, your credibility is shot.
    Tinman,

I've stated your exact sentiments in previous posts, but I was called crazy. You're exactly right! Boogie might as well call this upcoming season a wrap due to his injury happening basically at the beginning of February. It takes athletes a full year to recover from this type of injury. Not 6-8 months. I don't care how much he posts on IG or his Twitter of his progress. It's great that he's doing so, but the reality of it is he will miss next season. Now, would you pay a player the full max-deal knowing this.

Also, I studied sports medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Tinman,

I've stated your exact sentiments in previous posts, but I was called crazy. You're exactly right! Boogie might as well call this upcoming season a wrap due to his injury happening basically at the beginning of February. It takes athletes a full year to recover from this type of injury. Not 6-8 months. I don't care how much he posts on IG or his Twitter of his progress. It's great that he's doing so, but the reality of it is he will miss next season. Now, would you pay a player the full max-deal knowing this.

Also, I studied sports medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
    I think the Pels are secretly hoping that someone offers Boogie an outlandish amount. Mathews & Gay are exceptions at 8 1/2 months. Best case scenario for a bigun like a boogie is probably 10-11 months. That's being generous. That puts Boogie at January of 19 there abouts. Looka - these folks act as though I am pulling for failure. I'm not. I am a HUGE Boogie fan, but I am not keen on giving him 34 million per to sit take up a roster spot for 2-3 months & then minutes restriction & no back to backs for 1 month.
    Others on this forum feel differently & that's fine. They aren't wrong, I just disagree. I don't wanna give 1/3 of my salary cap to pine sitter for more than half the year.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Within that original Instagram post... where the chick asks why he unfollowed and he said... cos I’m grown... there’s a whole series of replies and someone just writes ‘OFF’ which omri caspi ‘likes’ ... so I’m guessing he’s off and caspi knows about it =|
    Dang. That's actually not good.

Edit: Oh wait. I read that like Boogie put OFF and Casspi liked it.....just some rando writing it is not much.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-17-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Tinman,

Again. Even if he missed an entire year (worst case scenario), he'd be back right around All Star break. Without a setback there is no possible way he misses the entirety of next season.

Again. Even if he missed an entire year (worst case scenario), he'd be back right around All Star break. Without a setback there is no possible way he misses the entirety of next season.
    Even if he came back in January, I wouldn't pay him 34 million. That's 30 ish games w/out 34 mill available. But, as I said- It doesn't make your POV wrong, I just disagree.

Even if he came back in January, I wouldn't pay him 34 million. That's 30 ish games w/out 34 mill available. But, as I said- It doesn't make your POV wrong, I just disagree.
    Are you sure his deal is 34m next year? It's been awhile since I checked but I thought his 1st year of his max would start around 30m. I could be wrong though. Sleep has not been very forthcoming recently.

My take is far more long term. I don't really care if he misses half the season or only plays in 30ish games or so next season. We still aren't winning title next year and baring some insane injury Golden State will still cake walk everyone. My focus is on long term team success and I see Cousins as being key long term if we want to compete for titles.

If we don’t re sign him... we don’t suddenly get a load of cap space back. I’d rather we sign him and he comes back at 80% for half a season than have tiny cap space to fill the roster with .

Are you sure his deal is 34m next year? It's been awhile since I checked but I thought his 1st year of his max would start around 30m. I could be wrong though. Sleep has not been very forthcoming recently.

My take is far more long term. I don't really care if he misses half the season or only plays in 30ish games or so next season. We still aren't winning title next year and baring some insane injury Golden State will still cake walk everyone. My focus is on long term team success and I see Cousins as being key long term if we want to compete for titles.

DeMarcus Cousins 27 C $27,095,775
    Rajon Rondo 32 PG $3,960,000
    Ian Clark 27 SG $1,544,951

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orlea...cans/cap/2018/

Did I say 6 months to game shape? I dont think so, its 6 months to full activity...

August/September would be 7-8 months (around 240 days), so it's not out the realm of possibility he can start returning in that time frame to restricted minutes...

2) As I've told you earlier in this thread, if we dont re-sign Cousins we dont gain any cap space, we only have enough space to sign minimum contract guys, and yes we can trade guys but we still have to receive back salaries, so we are still in the same boat salary cap wise
    Last edited by soggymoss; 05-18-2018 at 05:08 AM.

Did I say 6 months to game shape? I dont think so, its 6 months to full activity...

August/September would be 7-8 months (around 240 days), so it's not out the realm of possibility he can start returning in that time frame to restricted minutes...

2) As I've told you earlier in this thread, if we dont re-sign Cousins we dont gain any cap space, we only have enough space to sign minimum contract guys, and yes we can trade guys but we still have to receive back salaries, so we are still in the same boat salary cap wise
    You keep digging with that shovel. "By August/Sept Boogie should be fully ready to go" was your atatement. That is NOT gonna happen. Nice word salad, but what good does his "full activity date" do for the Pels. Also, 8 months is NOT the normal time. Matthews & Gay are exceptions & much smaller guys. FULLY ready to go means --> he's ready to play. It's been 109 days and he can do NOTHING yet. So, he has , by your specious logic 135 days to completely heal & ready for play. Huh. Your 240 day # is the END of Sept. And 240 has never been done. You seem to like to stretch your numbers a bit. Boogie will NOT be on the court in October or November. But - You seem to know a LOT about EVERYTHING . Salary Cap, possible trade restrictions, Achilles Tendon tear heal time . You are out of this world smart, I gotta tell ya. Where were you before Nov. of 2017? If you would've been here the prior 5yrs, WOW, the folks on this board would've been so much wiser. Meh !

Yeah, you could be right. I think it is just above 30.

Hey, Myth ! Per NBC sports - Max offer would be 5yr 176 million. So, we were both incorrect. I had NO idea it was North of 35 million. Whew. BTW- is soggymoss your doppelgänger? Lol.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.

You keep digging with that shovel. "By August/Sept Boogie should be fully ready to go" was your atatement. That is NOT gonna happen. Nice word salad, but what good does his "full activity date" do for the Pels. Also, 8 months is NOT the normal time. Matthews & Gay are exceptions & much smaller guys. FULLY ready to go means --> he's ready to play. It's been 109 days and he can do NOTHING yet. So, he has , by your specious logic 135 days to completely heal & ready for play. Huh. Your 240 day # is the END of Sept. And 240 has never been done. You seem to like to stretch your numbers a bit. Boogie will NOT be on the court in October or November. But - You seem to know a LOT about EVERYTHING . Salary Cap, possible trade restrictions, Achilles Tendon tear heal time . You are out of this world smart, I gotta tell ya. Where were you before Nov. of 2017? If you would've been here the prior 5yrs, WOW, the folks on this board would've been so much wiser. Meh !
    He cant do anything yet?

The boot is gone, hes walking on it, and he just posted a picture in IG 2 days ago of him taking shots in a gym..

Wouldn't call that doing nothing

He cant do anything yet?

The boot is gone, hes walking on it, and he just posted a picture in IG 2 days ago of him taking shots in a gym..

Wouldn't call that doing nothing
    C'mon man, enough with the shenanigans. He's standing at the foul line shooting a basketball. Having the boot off doesn't correlate with being able to do anything. Keep pressing forward, Soggy, you'll get there. The guy is literally JUST STANDING there with a BBall in hand & your analysis is "He is now doing something" O Lordy B. It's been well over 3 months & the boot came off- yeaaaaaaaaa ! Which means there is been ZERO "Resistance rehab" to this point. Yep, he'll be ready in Sept.
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-18-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Fine, 5 years, $57,977,525...point to you there. I'm not really talking about how many games Boogie will miss in the beginning of the first year of a multi-year contract, or whether we'll take a step forward or miss the playoffs or not...the conversation was about leverage. You say Boogie has no leverage, despite other teams actually wanting him and being one of the top 5 or so free agents available...Asik got $57,977,525 without any of those things. Heck, Jrue got ~$125MM. I think Dell has a very difficult decision to make here and I don't envy him, but to say Boogie has no leverage is kinda crazy.

Boogie will miss a little time, but he should be good to play fully in August/September... Recovery time for an Achilles tear is usually 6 months when they can return to full activity..

I think we need to keep Niko, trade a combo of Moore, Hill, Ajinca and future 1sts to get our SF...

The more I think about it, I wonder if Boston would be willing to part with someone (we all know they love draft picks).. with Hayward coming back next year they maybe willing to part with Brown
    Somehow I doubt they're in a hurry to trade Brown for all of our assorted flotsam. I do wonder what they're going to do with Kyrie and Hayward though, especially if they make the Finals. Going to be hard for Brown and Tatum to continue to develop if they both come back. They can probably buy another year, but at some point they'll have some decisions to make, and trading the more expensive guy who also happens to have chronic knee problems seems like it should be on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Fine, 5 years, $57,977,525...point to you there. I'm not really talking about how many games Boogie will miss in the beginning of the first year of a multi-year contract, or whether we'll take a step forward or miss the playoffs or not...the conversation was about leverage. You say Boogie has no leverage, despite other teams actually wanting him and being one of the top 5 or so free agents available...Asik got $57,977,525 without any of those things. Heck, Jrue got ~$125MM. I think Dell has a very difficult decision to make here and I don't envy him, but to say Boogie has no leverage is kinda crazy.
    Again, Jrue and Asik weren't crippled. Pels have the leverage because we can offer him a substantial amount $ juxtaposed to other teams. We can offer him 35+ per yr. no other team can offer him over 30. So, that's a 5,000,000 dollar leverage point for the Pels. Also, no other team is going to offer Boogie THEIR max, unless it's a crappy team in total rebuild (doubt Boogie would want to go to a loser again). That's a second leverage point for the Pels. 3) If contender offers Boogie a contract, I'm hypothesizing 25-28 million, then Dell can weigh his options - AT that Inflection point. NOT at 35 million. So,IMHO, Boogie has NO CARDS (can still try and Bluff)! BUT- if no other team makes a legitimate offer, then Boogie can't even bluff. He has to fold.

Thread Information