Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Boogie is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I notice that, in your opinion, which is also my opinion-> He realistically doesnt have too many options. For a team to give up pieces or 30 mill or long term deal to a damaged good (That will probably heal, but who knows when) is a bridge to far, especially for contenders. bout right?
    I'm one of the people who believes he will come back and still be able to perform at a high level. Maybe not 44/22/10 again, but still capable of averaging 20/10. So my issue isn't that people wouldn't want him in general, or in a vacuum.

It's just that most teams don't have cap. The teams that do have cap are either so bad that he'd never go there unless he was content to lose (Hawks, Suns, for example), or they're already on a path that doesn't revolve around giving max contracts to guys in their late twenties (Lakers, 76ers). Lakers are a semi-exception in that they would be happy to give a max contract out to certain guys, but Boogie isn't one of their top three aims (Kawhi, PG, Lebron) and if they can pick up any of those guys, their desire for Boogie would probably plummet; as would their cap space to get him in the first place.

But yes, for contenders, they either wouldn't want to give up key pieces of their teams (Rockets, Warriors), or they have no money to give to him (Wizards), or they have a totally different gameplan (Sixers). So I think we're his best option, and I don't imagine it would require the 5 year max to get him, although I'm not averse to discussing it if it comes to that.
    Basketball.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Boogie is gone

Not only do I think we are his best option, I think an agreement should be fairly easy to come to.

I don’t see Boogie wanting to be stuck here if AD bolts. He probably wants security, so he’s probably not interested in a short term Rudy Gay-Esque deal.

I don’t see how a 2+1 deal with a PTO for max money doesn’t satisfy both sides. Seems pretty simple.

Boogie hits the market at 30 with one more big money deal left on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he unfollowed the Pels and started following PG13, IT and Julius Randell. Seems like nothing more than negotiating tactics. Trying to build leverage using the Lakers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Pelicans have ALL the leverage. They can give him a boatload more $$$ that anyone else. Thats Leverage. He was NOT the best center in the league by far. A bit hyperbolic considering he never won more than 35 games in 7 seasons in Sacramento. We also know that we can win without him ! 25-14 (through the Portland series) without him. 10 game winning streak & a 9 game winning streak. We are 1-2 players away from being legit contenders. & Boogie doesnt have to be 1 of them. You seem to want to coddle Boogie at any cost. Hes NOT our savior, Hell, we dont even know when hes going to play again.
    Boogie is the best center in the nba. He was not successful in SAC but AD was not successful with NOLA missing playoffs for 4 years. AD cannot play center for long stretches. Niko helps but if we don’t resign Cousins we have to get another starting center AND a starting SF and resign Rondo. We CANNOT have Jrue at pg ever again. Look, if we can do a sign and trade for Otto Porter with Cousins I would be excited. Still GSW will beat us. Until we get a PHYSICAL big man who doesn’t get pushed around like Draymond did with AD we won’t contend. A big man who can rebound and be very physical inside. Cousins will be that guy once he fully recovers. You can argue that Cousins isn’t the best center but he’s had more success against GSW than any other center as far as I can tell. I’m lazy and at work right now but I will find the numbers to back this up. He might be the dagger we need to beat gsw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    I remember posters complaining that the pelicans were making moves just to make the 8th seed and get swept by the warriors and wanting to rebuild......now some of those same posters are saying we are better without cousins all because ad won his first playoff game and series in a favorable match up........now how many of you posters were confident that we would have beat Utah in a series with ad at the 5?........we now have a legit chance to play with the big boys so we have to sign boogie to where it works for both sides....

Boogie gives us that edge that a lot of teams don't have who can get you points in the paint when the shots are not falling.......with boogie we were in playoff position already and as I remember after his injury,,ad mentally check out and his play on the court showed me that and it was boogie who had to talk ad back into playing the game......

I think majority of us believe if cousins walk then gentry will go with ad and Niko at the 4 and 5 and how far do y'all think we can go with ad getting abused?..sure Dell will find a big to play the 5 but we all know gentry can't help himself and run with ad and Niko majority of the season......y'all are being prisoners of the moment with that run ad did after boogie went down...we all know that boogie and ad as a duo won games for us and would have had us in the playoffs also....

Ad and boogie are the best bigmen Duo in the game and jrue as one of the best two way player and we have our big 3...the season we just had,,I don't think it will be hard for us to add the pieces we need.....my wish is a PG who can be rondo but can shoot.....a SF and my wish is find a way to trade for Harrison Barnes....a SG with some length.....and another 3pt shooter........

3-6 seeds in the playoffs were separated by 2 and 3 games...Denver and the clippers were knocked out of the playoffs in the last week I think....if the Lakers hit on their off season then it's possible that 11 teams will be fighting for 8 spots....letting cousins walk and starting ad and Niko the whole season,,,how confident y'all are that we would be one of the 8 teams in the playoffs next year?......

N.O.Bronco -- Did you actually say that a team will take a 30 MILLION dollar 4 year FLYER on an injured (catastrophic injury) 28 yr old #5 ? Now thats funny, I dont care who you are.
    I mean the words I wrote are right there, did I write that it is a guarantee that some team will give him a 4 year max?

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    So he unfollowed the Pels and started following PG13, IT and Julius Randell. Seems like nothing more than negotiating tactics. Trying to build leverage using the Lakers.
    This. He wants a full max from the Pels and just needs 1 team to offer him to get it. It's the game inside the game that is being played right now.

I would just like to take a minute to thank Boogie for giving us something to talk about!

I think the poster was looking at it the wrong way anyway.

Instead of being worried about Cousins response.... I'd be super hype that he responded to me in the 1st place.

Boogie absolutely has leverage and a lot of it. Anybody thinking there won’t be teams that throw a ton of $ at him are fooling themselves.. he is the best center in the nba right in the prime of his career. Yes he had an injury but it’s not going to scare every team away. Again to win in the nba you have to take risks and there will be quite a few teams that will take that risk bringing in Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It's part of the game to force the deal he wants since there were rumors that leaked about the Pels balking at offering the full 5 year max. It will get done and he will get the contract he wants from us.

You either have talent or you don't in this league and you don't let talent like Cousins limp.
    FIFY

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post

Yeah he’s not the first free agent to do this. I believe someone did that with the Saints recently.

I never get mad at a player for trying to get the best deal possible for them. Business is business.

Cousins was extremely loyal while on the team, caused absolutely zero issues, worked diligently to try to make this team the best it could be, and gave everything he had on the court.

I can't be mad that he is trying to get the best possible deal for himself. While I think it'd be awesome for him to take a discount to keep the team together, he was willing to resign in Sacramento due to the contract, so I think it's been pretty clear from the beginning that he is loyal but wants to be paid. I'm sure from his perspective he's already lost 30m dollars getting traded so he wants the biggest possible deal now.

Some team will offer him the money.

Basketball Guru
    Lol they posted on TV that cousins unfollowed the pels and followed pg13, randle ,,Thomas,,,and someone else,,all Lakers players lol....I was always worried about magic not getting LeBron and throwing money at cousins to join pg13......let the games begin lol....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Lol they posted on TV that cousins unfollowed the pels and followed pg13, randle ,,Thomas,,,and someone else,,all Lakers players lol....I was always worried about magic not getting LeBron and throwing money at cousins to join pg13......let the games begin lol....
    Tampering going on?

Basketball Guru
    LeBron loose this series and go to Houston, may be ariza be an option at sf if he don't take less money to resign back with houston.....hell, LeBron will have a lot of players moving this summer....

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Tampering going on?
    Lol,,funny thing is, if cousins would sign with the lakers, I don't think Thomas or randle would be on the team with him...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I guess I know nothing about the salary cap, because all I'm seeing is scenarios involving MLEs and such. What good is having the green light to dig deep into the lux tax to get talent to play for us? Is it not possible or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Cousins was extremely loyal while on the team, caused absolutely zero issues, worked diligently to try to make this team the best it could be, and gave everything he had on the court.

I can't be mad that he is trying to get the best possible deal for himself. While I think it'd be awesome for him to take a discount to keep the team together, he was willing to resign in Sacramento due to the contract, so I think it's been pretty clear from the beginning that he is loyal but wants to be paid. I'm sure from his perspective he's already lost 30m dollars getting traded so he wants the biggest possible deal now.

Some team will offer him the money.
    This is what recent history says. Somebody's going to gamble on the hope that he bounces back.

LeBron loose this series and go to Houston, may be ariza be an option at sf if he don't take less money to resign back with houston.....hell, LeBron will have a lot of players moving this summer....
    If Lebron goes to Houston (which I don't think he will) then Houston is getting blown up fairly extensively. Going into next season, they have a combined $80m already on the books. Lebron has previously said he will not take less than the max again in his career: which, for him, is upwards of $30mil. That puts them at $110m, and the cap is NOT going to be that high. And that's before resigning CP3, that's before looking at Ariza, that's without considering Capela's free agency, that's without Luc Richard MBah a Moute, and it's without Gerald Green.

So they'd be in well over the salary cap with a confirmed lineup of

PG: None.
    SG: James Harden/Eric Gordon
    SF: Lebron James/PJ Tucker
    PF: Ryan Anderson
    C: Nene Hilario/Zhou Qi

They can obviously resign CP3, but then they'd be in absolute tax hell and that's before resigning Capela (who they will almost certainly want to keep).

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I guess I know nothing about the salary cap, because all I'm seeing is scenarios involving MLEs and such. What good is having the green light to dig deep into the lux tax to get talent to play for us? Is it not possible or something?
    We can go over the cap, but not to sign free agents, unless we are using an exemption (like the MLE)...

So basically, to acquire anymore talent this year, we are limited to using an exemption, re-signing using bird rights (boogie), or trades (would still have to send out matching salary

This has been my prediction all along. Lebron imo is going to Houston if he doesn’t return to the Cavs. I don’t see any other team out there being on the same level as the Rockets would be for him. Lots of reasons why going to the Rockets makes sense for Lebron.

I also agree with your post above with Boogie and PG13 going to the Lakers. Sure they want Lebron but I don’t see that happening. Sure they want Leonard but that means giving up on some young talent when they can just wait a year and see how the team has progressed to then make a decision on Leonard. You add Cousins and George to the Lakers along with all of the young talent they currently have and that team is no joke at all. Ball/George/Ingram/Kuzma/Boogie closing out games is dangerous! I know I would be ecstatic if the Pels had that lineup. Ultimately I think we go as high as it takes to get Boogie but there is no guarantee we do and there is definitely no guarantee he wants to come back. AD is not his only friend in the nba.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    We can go over the cap, but not to sign free agents, unless we are using an exemption (like the MLE)...

So basically, to acquire anymore talent this year, we are limited to using an exemption, re-signing using bird rights (boogie), or trades (would still have to send out matching salary
    So then what the heck does this mean?

Alvin said Gayle Benson will do whatever it takes to win a championship. When do you get to the process where luxury tax, all that kind of stuff starts coming out? That's a tricky situation for small market to begin with. How do you guys approach right now, is there a player you think would push you into that or is it a situation?
    "I think you just answered the question like, you know, I think if there's a situation that puts us in a position to compete for championships, we're going to go for it. That’s been the mindset. We're not going to just spend foolishly either, you know, we're going to try to be efficient and we're going to try to maximize our financial situation. But if the situation presents itself, we want to go for it."
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/transcri...ess-conference

If we can sign an MLE we're going to do it? That reads like if we want to go above the cap we will. I just figured that meant we'd lose the MLE to do so.

Edit: I mean, how else did Durant sign there? It sure wasn't a sign and trade, unless I'm missing something. Which is possible. I distinctly remember the Warriors were above the cap and tax threshold when Durant went there and they just signed him. Then they gave Curry a mega deal afterwards.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 05-16-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So then what the heck does this mean?

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/transcri...ess-conference

If we can sign an MLE we're going to do it? That reads like if we want to go above the cap we will. I just figured that meant we'd lose the MLE to do so.

Edit: I mean, how else did Durant sign there? It sure wasn't a sign and trade, unless I'm missing something. Which is possible. I distinctly remember the Warriors were above the cap and tax threshold when Durant went there and they just signed him. Then they gave Curry a mega deal afterwards.
    That means Gayle is willing to go into taxpayer territory if needed,which if we re-sign Boogie we are already in taxpayer territory... Once we get into taxpayer money, our MLe drops to 5.4 million we can offer a single player (one would assume Rondo)

The warriors were actually below the cap when they signed Durant, they didnt exceed it until they started re-signing their own players (after the Durant contract)..

We could technically do the same, however we only have about 680,000 before we hit the 101 million cap threshold, so that's not feasible for us to do..

NBA cap is quite confusing sometimes

I think he stay's but if he wants to sign and trade with Washington i'd consider it.

WAS - Boogie, Hill and Ajinca
    PELS - Porter, Mahinmi and Satoransky

2018/19

Rondo/Satoransky/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/
    Porter/Miller
    Davis/Mirotic/Diallo
    Mahinmi/OKafor

Thread Information