Pelicans Report

Thread: The current state of the NBA and what you can do about it

The current state of the NBA and what you can do about it

Easily the most frustrating game in this series was game two. The officiating in game one was awful but GSW was also just clicking. In game four, we just weren't clicking at all. But game two.....that was our game. We were clearly the better team and lost due to the officiating.

And then even more infuriating is that no one but us cares. They acknowledge it. But it's "just a thing". Super stars get the calls. In any other sport it is a scandal. In the NBA it's just blah. A fact of life. But why? Is an agenda against the city of New Orleans? Is it because they love Cali so much?

No. It is purely business. Straight up ratings.

The NBA is weird in that with most other sports their is a rabid following of fans that glorifies their teams. No matter who plays for them, that is your team. In the NBA, there is a larger ratio of fans who just like players. They will follow James wherever he goes. Or Curry. Harden. It's an odd duck in that their is a larger portion of people that just love superstars as opposed to teams. So of course the NBA is going to cater to their stars. That is their product. Their bread and butter.

So what do we do about that?

There's really only two things we can do. We can try to beat them. The ratings for the regular season were way up. Analysts will argue it was due to the fight at the top with GS and Houston but IMO that was a bit boring and the ratings boost was because of the large amount of teams that were fighting just to get in. And with GSW looking vulnerable, the league actually looked interesting. The NBA is salivating at the projected ratings of Houston vs GS. If we want to make a mark, we have to hit the ratings. Stop watching. Stop talking about it. Be proactive and get other people to turn the TV or streaming off. Watch your team and your team only. The only way to stop the superstar treatment is to make them hurt when they do it. And that's a tall order. Because we know the masses will watch the series. But do everything you can to fight that.

The only other way is to join them. Become the superstars that get the calls. We as a fan base have to turn Jrue and AD into some of the biggest superstars in the league. And possibly Boogie or whomever we bring in. We have to buy their products. Push their social media. Make them huge. Show your team pride everywhere. The SKC gas been amazing for the postseason. Make that kind of noise all the time and we will get the calls.

Another tall order because it's just us. But hey, we want to complain about the system. This IS the system. We can either try to play by the system and win from within or help to tear it down.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 05-08-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I can promise you the NBA would love the drama of the Pelicans becoming a super team and competing against GS. This season was a huge step forward and this summer if we are able to bring in 1 more star while resigning Cousins and Rondo I think the hype machine will be in full swing.

The story of GS becoming champion's were great for the league but the David vs Goliath narrative and being able to kill them off will be even bigger. Houston vs GS will be huge for this.

What we want is for GS to win it all again in as much of cakewalk fashion as possible. If Houston gets past them then actually hurts us I think because players will think maybe they don't need to join with multiple other super stars to win.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 05-08-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Not losing to SAC and the NYK at home would help too. Winning tonight would really get people buzzing. I give ourselves a punchers chance, but what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

IMO, the NBA needs to train their refs that if you don't see a foul, then don't call a foul. Never assume that there was a foul unless you seen a foul with your own eyes. Give other refs the power to overturn a bad call. Then add another ref to the crew. These guys are just too fast for these refs to keep up with IMO. They need more eyes.

Also they need to expand what can be overturned or changed via instant replay. If the refs didn't call a foul on a play that requires instant replay to confirm and there was a foul that occurred, then give them the power to call the right call.

Your post is so true, the Pels had probably more losses to inferior opponents at home than any other team in the league this season.
    I can think of at least 6 games they had no business losing.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Not losing to SAC and the NYK at home would help too. Winning tonight would really get people buzzing. I give ourselves a punchers chance, but what do I know?

Just gonna be honest. The NBA was built on dynasties and player fans not by parity and team fans. GSW are probably gonna dominate much of ADs prime and that is a shame.

they're way too good

I think ironically a less expensive tyreke Evans could be our savior. I think his natural position is a very tall and multiply skilled 2 guard. I think a healthy Evans could play insanely well with Jrue, boogie and AD. The state of the nba has made flopping, the super team, and market size irrelevant. I think the bucks in the east is a piece away from making a lot more noise as well as the Blazers in the west.

I think if we can get Evans and Bradley plus a decent big we can be great. I think we lose Ajinca and hill this offseason and we return boogie, rondo and Clark. I think we lose grits and okafor.

Rondo/Clark/jackson
    Jrue/bradley/evans/Moore/clark
    Evans/Moore/miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Boogie/decent backup

Get lucky with a 2way guy or two as we can add 2 of them to this bunch. Maybe at C and PG. when we play "lengthy" teams we start Evans at the 2 and Nico at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I think ironically a less expensive tyreke Evans could be our savior. I think his natural position is a very tall and multiply skilled 2 guard. I think a healthy Evans could play insanely well with Jrue, boogie and AD. The state of the nba has made flopping, the super team, and market size irrelevant. I think the bucks in the east is a piece away from making a lot more noise as well as the Blazers in the west.

I think if we can get Evans and Bradley plus a decent big we can be great. I think we lose Ajinca and hill this offseason and we return boogie, rondo and Clark. I think we lose grits and okafor.

Rondo/Clark/jackson
    Jrue/bradley/evans/Moore/clark
    Evans/Moore/miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Boogie/decent backup

Get lucky with a 2way guy or two as we can add 2 of them to this bunch. Maybe at C and PG. when we play "lengthy" teams we start Evans at the 2 and Nico at the 3.
    How tall is Tyreke? Thought he was more of a 2-guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Just gonna be honest. The NBA was built on dynasties and player fans not by parity and team fans. GSW are probably gonna dominate much of ADs prime and that is a shame.
    The NBA was built on dynasties but this was in an era before social media so major markets were far more important than they are now.

With the way the market is setup now the NBA has global appeal and superstars all over. They benefit from competitive series, not dynasties as much. This is why they lost so much money last year due to too short of a playoffs because Golden State just cruised to a championship. Silver was even quoted as saying they'd have a very big problem if Golden State didn't lose a single game. Shocking, they lost exactly one.

Golden State is a double edged sword for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints#34 View Post
    How tall is Tyreke? Thought he was more of a 2-guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't he like 6'7

Isn't he like 6'7
    6'6

Lol maybe we can trade Moore and hill for d Schroeder

Who do we trade for picks to get Jrue's brother?

Isn't he like 6'7
    in my scenario Evans would play the 2 when we play lengthy teams. He would play the three when we play shorter teams. Match ups make the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The NBA was built on dynasties but this was in an era before social media so major markets were far more important than they are now.

With the way the market is setup now the NBA has global appeal and superstars all over. They benefit from competitive series, not dynasties as much. This is why they lost so much money last year due to too short of a playoffs because Golden State just cruised to a championship. Silver was even quoted as saying they'd have a very big problem if Golden State didn't lose a single game. Shocking, they lost exactly one.

Golden State is a double edged sword for the NBA.
    Didn't they lose 2?

Didn't they lose 2?
    This year. One in each of the first two rounds. Last year their only loss was when Lebron and Kyrie went off in that one game.

Thread Information