Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What additional pieces must be added?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would add Dwayne Casey to our bench. Give him a job as an assistant until he gets a new gig as a HC. That would add a great influence to Gentry, and add instant credibility to our bench.
    I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that he's going to get a head coach job immediately.
    Basketball.

This is how I see the offseason progressing

step 1: no matter what, resign Boogie, even if its for a sign-and-trade
    -you cannot let him walk, I think we all realize that, but I'd rather him on the squad

step 2: resign Rondo
    -his attitude has changed the culture of this team, not to mention he's a true floor general and most of the time, makes the right plays

step 3: what can you get in the trade market?
    -top trade targets that are a pipe dream: Kemba, John Wall, Kawhi, Paul George, Robert Covington, Khris Middleton

-top trade targets that are slightly more likely but still a long shot: Otto Porter, Andre Iguodala, Tobias Harris

-top trade targets that are possible: Tyus Jones, Pat Beverly, Spencer Dinwiddie, Delon Wright, Terry Rozier, Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, Dwight Powell

step 4: how far is Gayle & co willing to go into the tax for FAs?

-top FA signings that are less likely (aka players that will command a larger contract or would be less interested): Trevor Ariza, Rudy Gay, Danny Green, Tyreke Evans, Elfrid Payton, Iman Shumpert, Vince Carter

-top FA signings that are slightly more likely (but not likely because we have no money): Fred Van Vleet, Shabazz Napier, Wayne Ellington, David Nwaba, Nemanja Bjelica, James Ennis, Jerami Grant, Joe Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that he's going to get a head coach job immediately.
    Yep. Dude can coach. I'd like him on the team buy I have to assume he will be hired pretty fast unless he chooses to take some time off.

With the unknown saga about Kwahi and the Spurs, I would think they either try to extend him to supermax or trade if not in the cards. Where does this leave Rudy Gay? Does he opt out? He would be a good fit here, probably available in the 10 mil range. We could sign him, Rondo for about 6 mil, then CUZ after.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 05-11-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deiondeion View Post
    This is how I see the offseason progressing

step 1: no matter what, resign Boogie, even if its for a sign-and-trade
    -you cannot let him walk, I think we all realize that, but I'd rather him on the squad

step 2: resign Rondo
    -his attitude has changed the culture of this team, not to mention he's a true floor general and most of the time, makes the right plays

step 3: what can you get in the trade market?
    -top trade targets that are a pipe dream: Kemba, John Wall, Kawhi, Paul George, Robert Covington, Khris Middleton

-top trade targets that are slightly more likely but still a long shot: Otto Porter, Andre Iguodala, Tobias Harris

-top trade targets that are possible: Tyus Jones, Pat Beverly, Spencer Dinwiddie, Delon Wright, Terry Rozier, Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, Dwight Powell

step 4: how far is Gayle & co willing to go into the tax for FAs?

-top FA signings that are less likely (aka players that will command a larger contract or would be less interested): Trevor Ariza, Rudy Gay, Danny Green, Tyreke Evans, Elfrid Payton, Iman Shumpert, Vince Carter

-top FA signings that are slightly more likely (but not likely because we have no money): Fred Van Vleet, Shabazz Napier, Wayne Ellington, David Nwaba, Nemanja Bjelica, James Ennis, Jerami Grant, Joe Harris
    If we re-sign Boogie & are able to get Tobias Harris, my summer is complete. And Bjelica would be cool. Really good stretch that can drain 3's - Wayne Ellington as a fall back, But Harris & Bjelica = Complete for me.

I want avery bradley

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I want avery bradley
    I like Bradley. But I rather the team address the need for length rather than another undersized 2 guard.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    I like Bradley. But I rather the team address the need for length rather than another undersized 2 guard.
    Agreed. Assuming we resign the requisite guys, the priority is to sign someone between 6'6-6'9 who can play some defense. And preferably hit some threes. A 3&D small forward, you could say.

Agreed. Assuming we resign the requisite guys, the priority is to sign someone between 6'6-6'9 who can play some defense. And preferably hit some threes. A 3&D small forward, you could say.
    Yep! We will be making the exact same mistake by signing Bradley. We had trouble with GS because our guards were undersized. What’s the point in signing a shorter one.

We can get Tobias Harris?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I thought about another trade scenario. Boogie sign and trade to Lakers for Julius Randle (also a sign-and-trade) and Kyle Kuzma or Brandon Ingram.

Lakers do it to make more of LA a destination for free agents. They can then tell those superstars "we got rid of our young SF but we still have Lonzo, Kuzma, and Boogie." They won't resign Randle to the money he wants anyway because it limits the cap space for the big fish they are going after, so to them, they really only give up Kuzma or Ingram. On top of that, those 2 play the position that Kawhi, PG, and LeBron play.

Pelicans do it because it would actually fit the direction the Pelicans are heading. Fast-pace, athletic, and players that fit around the our 2 cornerstones around Jrue and AD. It also probably frees up enough cap to resign Mirotic next season (I think the rule is a team above the apron must receive $10 mil less than what they send out). Randle at age 23 becomes our Draymond Green. A mobile, powerful, high-intensity guy that isn't a shooter. The biggest difference between the 2 is that Randle doesn't pass like Draymond does, but Randle is 5 years younger, and far ahead where Draymond was at this age. Brandon Ingram at age 20 gives us a SF that we can develop and still has 2 years left and $5.5 mil left on his deal.

Rondo/FJ
    Jrue/Moore
    Kuzma/Solo/Miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Randle/Mek
    Last edited by deiondeion; 05-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.

I thought about another trade scenario. Boogie sign and trade to Lakers for Julius Randle (also a sign-and-trade) and Kyle Kuzma or Brandon Ingram.

Lakers do it to make more of LA a destination for free agents. They can then tell those superstars "we got rid of our young SF but we still have Lonzo, Kuzma, and Boogie." They won't resign Randle to the money he wants anyway because it limits the cap space for the big fish they are going after, so to them, they really only give up Kuzma or Ingram. On top of that, those 2 play the position that Kawhi, PG, and LeBron play.

Pelicans do it because it would actually fit the direction the Pelicans are heading. Fast-pace, athletic, and players that fit around the our 2 cornerstones around Jrue and AD. It also probably frees up enough cap to resign Mirotic next season (I think the rule is a team above the apron must receive $10 mil less than what they send out). Randle at age 23 becomes our Draymond Green. A mobile, powerful, high-intensity guy that isn't a shooter. The biggest difference between the 2 is that Randle doesn't pass like Draymond does, but Randle is 5 years younger, and far ahead where Draymond was at this age. Brandon Ingram at age 20 gives us a SF that we can develop and still has 2 years left and $5.5 mil left on his deal.

Rondo/FJ
    Jrue/Moore
    Kuzma/Solo/Miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Randle/Mek

If the Lakers want/offer BOOGIE max they can sign w/o giving any assets. Why would they S&T?
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 05-12-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: SPELL

damnit youre right total brain fart

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    If the Lakers want/offer BOOGIE max they can sign w/o giving any assets. Why would they S&T?
    Because Cousins loses out on millions of dollars if he just leaves in free agency, so he might prefer to take the S&T in order to get the larger amount of money?

Either way, I think it's irrelevant because, although I'm not a betting man, I'd be likely to bet against him going to the Lakers. If he leaves, I can imagine it being to Washington (Wall connection) but I don't think he wants to go to the Lakers.

Because Cousins loses out on millions of dollars if he just leaves in free agency, so he might prefer to take the S&T in order to get the larger amount of money?

Either way, I think it's irrelevant because, although I'm not a betting man, I'd be likely to bet against him going to the Lakers. If he leaves, I can imagine it being to Washington (Wall connection) but I don't think he wants to go to the Lakers.
    I agree, don't think it would happen, just saying Lakers don't need to give up anything if he wanted to go there

I agree, don't think it would happen, just saying Lakers don't need to give up anything if he wanted to go there
    They would if he wanted max money, which I think he does. That's the only issue.

They would if he wanted max money, which I think he does. That's the only issue.
    Then I must be mistaken, Lakers can offer max, just not 5 yrs., so give him shorter deal to get 10 yr increases or 3 yr to get bird and extend. Still probably gives up a little but not much

Then I must be mistaken, Lakers can offer max, just not 5 yrs., so give him shorter deal to get 10 yr increases or 3 yr to get bird and extend. Still probably gives up a little but not much
    Keep in mind Birds Rights aren't just the extra year but the raise you can give per year.

I'm running on something like 1 and 1/2 hours of sleep but I think free agents can get 5% raises while Birds Rights allows us to give him 8% raises per year. Over the course of 4 or 5 years that actually amounts to a decent difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Keep in mind Birds Rights aren't just the extra year but the raise you can give per year.

I'm running on something like 1 and 1/2 hours of sleep but I think free agents can get 5% raises while Birds Rights allows us to give him 8% raises per year. Over the course of 4 or 5 years that actually amounts to a decent difference.
    Again totally agree, might mean 20 to 30 mil over 4 years, but he could make that in endorsements being in LA. Look, please don't get me wrong, I want him back and don't even want to discuss this as an option for him. My only point was/is that if he wanted to go there the numbers would be made to work and it highly unlikely that he and his new team would want to give up valuable assets that they could retain or use to attract other big names.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

Mate sleep in the spare room with ear plugs.

Basketball Guru

Rondo/FJ
    Jrue/Moore
    Kuzma/Solo/Miller
    AD/Mirotic/Diallo
    Randle/Mek
    I can see gentry wanting a lineup like that but we will still need a big center........

Cousins got a taste of the playoffs for the first time in his career and he should realize that he had a big part in that.....plus all the talk of if we had him against the warriors,we may have beat them......plus cousins had free reign in this offense and I think he enjoyed that...IMO all of the signs all pointing at cousins wanting to stay here.....I was worried about the Lakers before the playoffs but now I think he is staying here .....

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Mate sleep in the spare room with ear plugs.
    Haha, I'm not sure my wife would appreciate me ditching her through the night.

Would you do Solo, ajinca and Jackson for Demarre Carroll. He was playing quite good for Nets last season and i think its upgrade over Solo, but we have to sacrifice Jackson and give away Ajincas expiring which leave us without trade chips for next season dedline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    Would you do Solo, ajinca and Jackson for Demarre Carroll. He was playing quite good for Nets last season and i think its upgrade over Solo, but we have to sacrifice Jackson and give away Ajincas expiring which leave us without trade chips for next season dedline.
    I would first talk to PG and see if he's interested in coming but after that yes.

The problem is I don't think they'd take that deal. We talked about trading for him last season and the Nets wanted more than what we gave up for Niko.

Why in the world Nets will do it??

For a player who had already two surgeries on his foot.
    Taking two years of a player worse than Carroll who is on one year.

Frank might have some value after Summer League at the earliest. Value of 2nd round pick.
    If he will play good during the season -then maybe.

But now he is just a salary filler.

Thread Information