Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What additional pieces must be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What the "trade Boogie" crew seem to be missing is that (as others have said) AD wants another star to play with, and he doesn't want to play full time centre. So you have an all-star centre.

That happens to be one of his best friends. If you sign and trade his great friend, who is a star at the position AD specifically doesn't want to have to play, you're asking for locker room angst.
    This! Boogie isn’t going anywhere and hopefully neither is Rondo. I think we can win with two athletic wings over 6’6 that can shoot 3s. I will take a lineup of Rondo, Holiday, mid level wing, AD, and Boogie with Frank Jackson, wing player, Miller, Diallo, and Mirotic off the bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Resign Boogie and Rondo. Get Paul George. Is that possible. We’d have to move Solo, Ajinca, Moore, Miritich just to free up space? Basically I really don’t know what I’m talking about. All I know is if there’s a way to add PG with Rondo and Cousins we will do it.

Would we have to go into luxury tax? We need to get George. He’s exactly what we need. Would there be any possible way to do this????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems logical the only way Boogie is not in a pelicans uniform next year is that he decided to leave. Now demps will attempt to pull another big role player if he can. Should be a fun offseason with high hopes for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    This team needs a bench more than they need a top tier SF.
    bringing back cousins puts mirotic on the bench. hell of a 6th man, no?

This team needs a bench more than they need a top tier SF.
    Hell yes! We didn’t have the depth to keep up with Golden State. We need two bigger guards to this roster to compete with the big dogs.

Maybe something like:

Hill, Ajinca and our 2019 1st for Carroll and their 2019 2nd rounder.

Sign Michael Carter Williams to play back up PG (he has length and would be cheap as he is probably out of this league anyway)

Sign James Ennis (has length and will be cheap as above with MCW)

Re-sign Rondo and Cousins.

Rondo/MCW/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Liggins
    Carroll/Miller/Ennis
    Davis/Mirotic/Diallo
    Cousins/Okafor

The first unit is elite.
    The second unit is perfect for a guy who can get to the hoop with guys who can shoot the 3 ball.

Last trade deadline You got Mirotic, clearing two roster spots and 2nd rounder for Asik's 23plus millions, 22nd pick, and swap of 2nd rounders

Won't it be better to wait and strike then?

Picks are worth gold these times...

f.e. Mirotic, Ajinca and 1st rounder can net you a stud then...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What are you basing it off of that Cousins will sit for basically the entire season?

Oh God I just read that you want Melo on this team. LOL. Nvm, I should have just ignored.
    It's funny that you talk your crap, but REAL basketball experts know that Melo will flourish in this system rather than that trash of a system in OKC. And yes, Boogie will more than likely sit for the entire season. ACL injuries take really 8 months to a year to fully recover. Boogie just got hurt in late January so you really count February. I've studied sports medicine so I know what I'm talking about. And by the way, why did Boogie openly state that he wanted Melo to consider the Pelicans last summer? Oh yeah that's right, he fits the system.

Find a 3 way trade for PG. Ajinca, Hill, Miller and Diallo OUT, PG IN, second round pick or two to the third team for taking Hill. Re-sign Rondo and Cousins. In ideal scenario Rondo accepts his early bird rights salary of around 3.96 million for a longer deal (2+1) and Pels still have MLE to find another wing to fill out the rotation.

Rondo, Jrue, Moore
    PG, MLE?
    Boogie, AD, Niko

Sick team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IlCapitano View Post
    Find a 3 way trade for PG. Ajinca, Hill, Miller and Diallo OUT, PG IN, second round pick or two to the third team for taking Hill. Re-sign Rondo and Cousins. In ideal scenario Rondo accepts his early bird rights salary of around 3.96 million for a longer deal (2+1) and Pels still have MLE to find another wing to fill out the rotation.

Rondo, Jrue, Moore
    PG, MLE?
    Boogie, AD, Niko

Sick team.
    Your MLE= Wayne Ellington !

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    First priority is to see where LeBron goes because some teams will be trading and trying to move players...LeBron decision to the west or east will affect what some teams do....

Re-sign boogie..

Hope Paul George check his ego and come ring chase and form a big 4 here.....

If George don't happen, I'll try and trade Niko to Dallas for Harrison Barnes......jrue,barnes, ad, boogie as our big 4 and add players around those 4 and let the season roll.....if we get something out of Jackson ,,the team would be even better......
    Barnes is NOT an upgrade from Nico in this offense. You lose 3 inches and 3pt shooting.

Maybe something like:

Hill, Ajinca and our 2019 1st for Carroll and their 2019 2nd rounder.

Sign Michael Carter Williams to play back up PG (he has length and would be cheap as he is probably out of this league anyway)

Sign James Ennis (has length and will be cheap as above with MCW)

Re-sign Rondo and Cousins.

Rondo/MCW/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Liggins
    Carroll/Miller/Ennis
    Davis/Mirotic/Diallo
    Cousins/Okafor

The first unit is elite.
    The second unit is perfect for a guy who can get to the hoop with guys who can shoot the 3 ball.
    I don't think we want to wait until after the draft to try & make our big move. In order to throw in the 2019 1st rounder, we would have to wait until after our slot in the draft to do so. MCW is an upgrade NOWHERE.

I think we have pick number 51, would love Melvin Frazier, think he is going to be above average player. 6' 6", 7'2" wingspan, 38% from 3, elite defense on 1 thru 3. This guy could be the SF we need.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    It's funny that you talk your crap, but REAL basketball experts know that Melo will flourish in this system rather than that trash of a system in OKC. And yes, Boogie will more than likely sit for the entire season. ACL injuries take really 8 months to a year to fully recover. Boogie just got hurt in late January so you really count February. I've studied sports medicine so I know what I'm talking about. And by the way, why did Boogie openly state that he wanted Melo to consider the Pelicans last summer? Oh yeah that's right, he fits the system.
    Boogie will probably not sit for the entire season. He's already got the boot off, and his rehabbing is on track. If he's out ten months, that takes us to November (starting February), which would mean he would barely miss 15 games or so. Even if there's a setback, and he's out a full year, he'll be back by around all-star break. For him to be out the entire year would require some serious problems to occur.

What qualifies as a 'REAL basketball expert'? Because we, thanks to the wonders of the internet, have a wealth of advanced details and statistics to look at. Some of these people on the internet watch more games, study more film, monitor more statistics, and know more history than 90% of your TV analysts or ESPN columnists. If you want an example of how amazingly accurate the 'REAL basketball experts' can be, go look at the predictions for the Pelicans vs Blazers round one series this post-season.

The fact is, Melo is about to turn 34 at the end of this month. So he's very much on the wrong side of 30, and is overwhelmingly unlikely to improve at any aspect of his game: what we should expect from a player in their mid thirties is a decline. Carmelo has never been very efficient, but that's got worse: the last two seasons he's played have both been top 5 worst FG% seasons in his career. In fact, this season was his career worst. The last time he put up rebounding averages this low, he was 20, and 1.3 assists per game is a career low as well: which is saying something, cause he's never been a passer.

With an ORTG of 104 and a DRTG of 109, he's got a net rating of -5. That is bad. That's not an anomaly for this year either, the last time he put up a positive net rating it was 2013-14. His PER has declined every year for the last 5 years. It's been 5 years since his true shooting % was at or above league average. He hasn't put up a positive DBPM in his career, and the one time he wasn't a negative (he had a DBPM of 0.0) was 7 years ago. That's unsurprising, because he can't defend the three: in a league where that's more and more necessary every year, opponents shot 7.3% better from 3 against him than their averages.

So given all of that, what does that tell us? It tells us that the only possible positive value he could give to a team is if he accepted his defensive issues, accepted his inefficiency, and agreed to be some kind of 6th man in his declining years, where his sole responsibility is the chucking that he's always been so known for. Which would be fine, except we already have footage of him saying that he will not come off the bench, and will not even discuss it.

He is a below par player, who refuses to acknowledge it. He cannot defend, he cannot score efficiently, nor is he the kind of guy who can will you to wins with his intangibles (only one double digit win share season in his career).

Mythrol has a good point. Melo blows.
    Basketball.

Oh well now that you've evoked the "Real basketball experts" term without anything to back it up clearly I must believe you.

As far as Cousins injury goes, you literally say in this post that ACL injuries take 8 months to 1 year to fully recover which means at the LATEST according to your own words he would be back by late January, sometime around All Star Break and at the earliest (again according to you who has "studied sports medicine") he could be be fully recovered around the start of the season or even before. Yet your previous sentence you say he will "more than likely sit for the entire season". So again I ask, what are you basing this off of?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 05-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Boogie will probably not sit for the entire season. He's already got the boot off, and his rehabbing is on track. If he's out ten months, that takes us to November (starting February), which would mean he would barely miss 15 games or so. Even if there's a setback, and he's out a full year, he'll be back by around all-star break. For him to be out the entire year would require some serious problems to occur.

What qualifies as a 'REAL basketball expert'? Because we, thanks to the wonders of the internet, have a wealth of advanced details and statistics to look at. Some of these people on the internet watch more games, study more film, monitor more statistics, and know more history than 90% of your TV analysts or ESPN columnists. If you want an example of how amazingly accurate the 'REAL basketball experts' can be, go look at the predictions for the Pelicans vs Blazers round one series this post-season.

The fact is, Melo is about to turn 34 at the end of this month. So he's very much on the wrong side of 30, and is overwhelmingly unlikely to improve at any aspect of his game: what we should expect from a player in their mid thirties is a decline. Carmelo has never been very efficient, but that's got worse: the last two seasons he's played have both been top 5 worst FG% seasons in his career. In fact, this season was his career worst. The last time he put up rebounding averages this low, he was 20, and 1.3 assists per game is a career low as well: which is saying something, cause he's never been a passer.

With an ORTG of 104 and a DRTG of 109, he's got a net rating of -5. That is bad. That's not an anomaly for this year either, the last time he put up a positive net rating it was 2013-14. His PER has declined every year for the last 5 years. It's been 5 years since his true shooting % was at or above league average. He hasn't put up a positive DBPM in his career, and the one time he wasn't a negative (he had a DBPM of 0.0) was 7 years ago. That's unsurprising, because he can't defend the three: in a league where that's more and more necessary every year, opponents shot 7.3% better from 3 against him than their averages.

So given all of that, what does that tell us? It tells us that the only possible positive value he could give to a team is if he accepted his defensive issues, accepted his inefficiency, and agreed to be some kind of 6th man in his declining years, where his sole responsibility is the chucking that he's always been so known for. Which would be fine, except we already have footage of him saying that he will not come off the bench, and will not even discuss it.

He is a below par player, who refuses to acknowledge it. He cannot defend, he cannot score efficiently, nor is he the kind of guy who can will you to wins with his intangibles (only one double digit win share season in his career).

Mythrol has a good point. Melo blows.
    Thank you for putting in the energy for this post that I simply don't have with a newborn baby.

You sum up my thoughts on Melo very clearly. Olympic Gold Medalist Melo, sure. But the problem is it looks like that was his last hurrah and he's been declining ever since to the point that last year he was down right bad.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Barnes is NOT an upgrade from Nico in this offense. You lose 3 inches and 3pt shooting.
    IMO Barnes is a definite upgrade in gentry offense because Barnes is a legit 3 and d player at his position plus he can play 4 in small ball......we can easily find an pf to back up ad for less money but this team needs a good sf to play next to ad and cousins to have a chance at getting to the top....

I Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I know what I'm talking about. 1) if you have to tell someone that you know what you're talking about & why, WELL ! 2) To Mythrol's point-- See ALEX OKAFOR Check his size, when he tore his Achilles & what his position is! He is 6'4 260, He is an edge rusher (which axiomatically is a brutal position for Achilles use 3) He was injured in mid Nov. against the Redskins & 4) He is expected to be a full go by training camp (Late July-Early August). That is 8 months!!! So, to expand on Mythrol's point-->> that puts Boogie in the late Sept- Early Oct range of rehab is done successfully. As far as you studying sports medicine, Study harder!

Boogie didn't have a ACL injury.

IMO Barnes is a definite upgrade in gentry offense because Barnes is a legit 3 and d player at his position plus he can play 4 in small ball......we can easily find an pf to back up ad for less money but this team needs a good sf to play next to ad and cousins to have a chance at getting to the top....
    IMO, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    I find this absolutely horrifying that even in my sleep deprived state I missed this and at the same time I find it absolutely hilarious that someone claiming to have studied sports medicine would make such a mistake.

I was so focused on the, "Claims injury takes at most 12 months to fully recover yet says Cousins won't play for 16 months" that I didn't even noticed that it was a timetable based on the wrong injury. Lol

Well done. This gave me a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Ok, well I think you're just splitting hairs. That is minor detail. BUT, he did study sports medicine, so I'm guessing that we are missing the link between the ACL & Achilles ! O wait, it's the Femur. Or could it be the Tibia & fibula ? Anybody?
    Last edited by Tinman; 05-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Daaaamn everyone came out of no where to get mythrols back after that guys ******** talking. Everyone deserves a genuine slow clap that was beautiful

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I like the fit of Barnes in our system, I just also really like a front court rotation of AD, Cousins, and Niko. Niko is a better Ryno. If I were Dell I'd try to see if I could get an extension done to keep Niko locked up longer term.

What it comes down to is what's it cost to get Barnes and my assumption is Cuban would want too much for him.

Anyone here ever study sports medicine? Asking for a friend!

Thread Information