Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: What additional pieces must be added?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is there a website that actually details why all these different exceptions were introduced and why only some trigger the hard cap? And why the MLE randomly changes to the TPE under certain conditions? And why they even exist in the first place?

I swear trying to understand everything about the NBA salary cap is harder to understand than all of quantum physics concepts combined.
    Larry Coon's NBA CBA FAQ.

He has just about the best break downs and explanations on every aspect of the CBA. Keep in mind though that his website is also information overload because it covers basically everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Larry Coon's NBA CBA FAQ.

He has just about the best break downs and explanations on every aspect of the CBA. Keep in mind though that his website is also information overload because it covers basically everything.
    Somehow that FAQ just raises more questions than it answers. I am in awe of anyone who has the whole thing down pat

TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is above the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron must use this exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Room Mid-Level exception. It also cannot be used if the team has received a player that season in a sign-and-trade transaction
    Take this for example, it's all well and good to explain when it can and can't be used, but I'm looking to know why it was implemented in the first place? Until I know the why, the how and when isn't half as useful to me and my brain still hurts.

Unbelievably convoluted if you ask me. And that's one unintuitive concept of many. I would like to understand it all, I just wish there was a way to take a course in it, especially for foreigners.
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Somehow that FAQ just raises more questions than it answers. I am in awe of anyone who has the whole thing down pat

Take this for example, it's all well and good to explain when it can and can't be used, but I'm looking to know why it was implemented in the first place? Until I know the why, the how and when isn't half as useful to me and my brain still hurts.

Unbelievably convoluted if you ask me. And that's one unintuitive concept of many. I would like to understand it all, I just wish there was a way to take a course in it, especially for foreigners.
    The reason why is because it is an incentive to keep teams from going into tax. There are multiple penalties for being a tax team. One is you get a smaller MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The reason why is because it is an incentive to keep teams from going into tax. There are multiple penalties for being a tax team. One is you get a smaller MLE.
    Why is it called the mid level exception? There's nothing mid level about being close to the tax line

I think our off season priorities should be sign #1 sign Boogie, #2 Sign Rondo, #3 Trade AA and Hill for a SF that can start prolly mid tier player but defense and shoot 3s is all we need(throw in moore and 2nd round pick if needed)....Sign Clark/Nick Young if we can...Your lineups would look like below...I really think we can make a good run and have decent depth.

Rondo
    Jrue
    Trade for SF
    AD
    Boogie

2nd team
    Jackson
    Clark/Nick Young
    Moore
    Diallo
    Niko

Why is it called the mid level exception? There's nothing mid level about being close to the tax line
    Because it is roughly the average salary of a player in the NBA. Hence mid.

Kind of want omri cassipi back

Thread Information