Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What additional pieces must be added?

Sign Paul George in FA
    Trade for Cauley Stein
    Re-sign Miller and Rondo
    Sign F. Ezeli in FA
    Trade for TJ McConnell from Sixers
    Sign Wayne Ellington

Pg: Rondo/ McConnell
    Sg: Holiday/ Moore/Ellington
    Sf: George/Ellington/ Miller
    Pf: Davis/ Diallo/ Tolliver
    C: W. Cauley-Stein/ Ezeli/ Okafor

Not easy but yet attainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yep. I think it's very clear that we won the trade because we ended up outperforming expectations and the Bulls only got 22 instead of a lottery pick. But at the time it was a pretty darn even trade given the BULLS wanted to lose more games and get a 1st for Mirotic. Who would be your quality free agent SF you'd target? Outside of PG I can't remember how else is out there that is even semi attainable.
    `rodney hood, wilson chandler, joe johnson, kyle anderson, will barton, danny green

the decent ones are too pricey

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    `rodney hood, wilson chandler, joe johnson, kyle anderson, will barton, danny green

the decent ones are too pricey
    Barton already turned down the 4 year 42 mil. Extension offer from Denver. I think it is safe to say he is out of our price range.

Well I guess any chance we had at stealing Melvin Frazier (my hope) with pick 51 just died at the combine, he killed it, no way he slips that far now

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Well I guess any chance we had at stealing Melvin Frazier (my hope) with pick 51 just died at the combine, he killed it, no way he slips that far now
    I really don't think the combine raises player's rankings all that much. I mean, how many guys have had amazing, ungodly showings and went from being considered a 2nd day guy to a lottery guy? Those positions don't shuffle much. Frazier is still in our wheelhouse. But we were probably going to trade out or trade up from our pick anyway.

All we can do at this point is hope for the best. July will be an interesting month.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I don't think we're picking at 51 anyway. If there is a player they want they will trade up to the top of 2nd to get him. Just like they did with Diallo and Jackson.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yeah. I hope we're past the stage of trading away picks entirely.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't think we're picking at 51 anyway. If there is a player they want they will trade up to the top of 2nd to get him. Just like they did with Diallo and Jackson.
    I’m hoping for Diop but a 9’ wingspan prob helped him tremendously. Justin Jackson is my next guy of course after Frazier (the new fan favorite).

thought about a couple other trade options

trade 1:
    -Pelicans send out: Etwaun and Ajinca
    -Pelicans receive: Kemba

-Charlotte sends out: Kemba, MKG, and Malik Monk
    -Charlotte receives: Schroeder, Etwaun, and Ajinca

-Atlanta sends out: Schroeder
    -Atlanda receives: MKG and Malik Monk and picks (2 2nds from NOP?)

Atlanta does it because Schroeder seems to be pushing his way out. They get a young guy in Monk who's had trouble in Charlotte and a former #2 pick in MKG that could get a new start. Charlotte does it because Kemba is now in the last year of his deal and will likely not resign, but they are stuck in limbo with all these bad contracts. It also sheds 2 large contracts from Charlotte. Pelicans do it for obvious reasons. Addendum: You could also send Bazemore to New Orleans and send Solo (from NOP) & Cody Zeller (from CHA) to Atlanta. Then Atlanta maximizes their picks from NOP and CHA.

trade 2:
    -Pelicans send out: Boogie (@$33 mil/2 yr), Ajinca, and Cheick Diallo
    -Pelicans receive: Otto Porter, Markieff Morris, Dewayne Dedmon

-Washington sends out: Otto Porter, Markieff Morris, Ian Mahinmi, Satoransky
    -Washington receives: Boogie, Kent Bazemore, and Cheick Diallo

-Atlanta sends out: Kent Bazemore and Dewayne Dedmon
    -Atlanta receives: Ian Mahinmi, Satoransky, WAS 1st & 2nd rounder, NOP 2nd

Pelicans gets longer, bigger (overall), faster, stronger, add depth, and could maybe stay below the apron by buying out Dedmon (or he opts out? idk how that works). Washington gets an All-Star in Boogie, gets rid of Mahinmi (maybe they'd rather get Gortat out of there), and is able to replace Porter with Bazemore. Atlanta takes on a bad contract but gets picks in return

trade 3:
    -Pelicans send out: Boogie
    -Pelicans receive: Khris Middleton and John Henson

-Milwaukee sends out: Khris Middleton, Tony Snell, John Henson, and Delly
    -Milwaukee receives: Boogie, Kent Bazemore

-Atlanta sends out: Kent Bazemore
    -Atlanta receives: Tony Snell and Delly

Pelicans do it for Middleton. Milwaukee does it for Boogie, getting rid of bad contracts, but can still replace Middleton with Bazemore. Trade is pretty neutral for Atlanta but probably get a pick from MIL
    Last edited by deiondeion; 05-18-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Do you think Robert Covington would be a good fit at SF, Also Phili has 6 draft picks this year (10, 26 38, 39, 56, & 60). what would it take to buy a few of those seconds?

I wouldn't mind drafting Kostas Antetokounmpo at 51 and see how he can develop. Same size and length as his brother at the same age. I think we sell the pick though. It's not realistic to expect anyone we draft at the current spot to make any kind of impact. So I don't mind selling the pick or drafting someone who is raw with some upside to try and develop.

I'm not a fan of the proposed trade of Boogie for Derozan.**
    Potential closing lineup of Rondo, Jrue, Derozan, Mirotic, AD, doesn't have consistent space and shooting prowess. Also, outside of Rondo, not much in terms of sheer toughness and causing the opposition to be "fearful" of a particular player's antics/prospective reactions (i.e. Boogie, Draymond, Marcus Smart, Zaza, etc.)**

I'm a firm believer that great teams have a antagonizer and/or a player who's toughness/hard play is viewed as "dirty." However, alot of times dirty/physical defense gets confused and embellished, especially in this "space and pace" era.**

Case in point, in game 2 against Warriors, when Draymond was talking ******** and "motivating" his teammates, I knew it was over (besides the absurd free throw disparity), bc we didn't have Boogie to go back at Draymond and attempt to stop all that boasting he was doing. Warriors team picked up on our lack of "response" and knew we wouldn't get physical or muck up their rythym.**

I am eager to see Boogie back on the team with a tall (6'7-'8)defensive-minded, peremiter player (Durant killer, no such thing) free agent signing/traded player, which will allow us to likely be the only team, besides a healthy Celtics squad, with a reasonable expectation of consistently playing elite defense against the best offensive team in the history of the NBA.**

As I have repeatedly stated, the key to beating the Warriors,in a playoff series, is not trying match offensive firepower (Houston), rather it's a team with elite peremiter defense (Steph, Klay) and the ability to have a defensive scheme where you have a rangy, elite defender, along with sound help from the other players (outside of those guarding Steph/Klay), where you force Durant to pass or make him take extremely contested shots and hope he misses at least half of those shots.**

In a perfect world, Solo would be this rangy, Durant defender and it's unfortunate that he wasn't healthy enough and/or played the whole year to have what it demands, if your realistically trying to slow Durant down. However, I'm not convinced Solo, even healthy, is that answer.**

I'm convinced the Pels off-season moves will center around resigning Boogie to a "fair" contract, bringing Rondo back and attempting to trade Solo, 1st round pick, and whatever else it may dictate to get a quality, peremiter wing with the stated goal of defending Durant better than this year's showing. Accordingly, this allows you to put Jrue back to guarding Steph down the stretch and attempting to have the Warriors "out of rhythm" and miss a few shots they usually/expect to make in key late-game situations.**

U need a Dennis Rodman type defender to guard Durant, period. Must do the dirty work before Durant even gets the ball or before he finds his shooting rhythm or it's over. Rodman was a master defender of getting a star player out of his comfort zone, whether by antics/"dirty play" and forcing that player to doubt his abilities that night and/or feel that Rodman was "suffocating" him with defensive intensity.**

With that said, yes, I know there are no "Rodman" type defenders readily available, but it is a must for Dell to identify this type of defender and attempt to reasonably do what is necessary to secure said player. Would have been nice, in hindsight, to have Aminu on this Pels version bc he is probably the prototype player, from a physical standpoint, outside of Giannis, to have a chance at successfully guarding Durant over the course of a 7 game series. Conversely, two reasonable moves that may be attained this summer, depending on what happens with P.George in OKC, is to trade Solo for Andre Roberson and hope that makes a difference, from a defensive standpoint.**

Also, if Bron would sign with the Sixers, that may mean Robert Convington would then be available. If so, I say the Pels sell the farm to gain Covington in a trade. Solo/Moore, Diallo and a 1st, maybe even another 1st (top 10 protected), might be enough to secure that missing piece for the Pels to be a sure-fire championship contender. Yes, it may be alot, but a 2nd 1st round pick, may not be worth a damn if it goes as planned. I believe Covington would be perfect for this team and would become a borderline All-star with the talent/scheme we have.

A lineup of Rondo, Jrue, Convington, AD and Boogie, might be the best the league has to offer at defending the Warriors and securing a championship in the next 2-3 year's.**

A bit of a long read but I'm pretty sure, not many would argue with the logic articulated.**
    Last edited by irvchilichill1; 05-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.

I would give my left foot to have both Boogie come back, and add Kawhi Leonard.

I'm convinced that, when healthy, Kawhi is a damn sight better than KD. He's one of my favourite players.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by deiondeion View Post
    thought about a couple other trade options

trade 1:
    -Pelicans send out: Etwaun and Ajinca
    -Pelicans receive: Kemba

-Charlotte sends out: Kemba, MKG, and Malik Monk
    -Charlotte receives: Schroeder, Etwaun, and Ajinca

-Atlanta sends out: Schroeder
    -Atlanda receives: MKG and Malik Monk and picks (2 2nds from NOP?)

Atlanta does it because Schroeder seems to be pushing his way out. They get a young guy in Monk who's had trouble in Charlotte and a former #2 pick in MKG that could get a new start. Charlotte does it because Kemba is now in the last year of his deal and will likely not resign, but they are stuck in limbo with all these bad contracts. It also sheds 2 large contracts from Charlotte. Pelicans do it for obvious reasons. Addendum: You could also send Bazemore to New Orleans and send Solo (from NOP) & Cody Zeller (from CHA) to Atlanta. Then Atlanta maximizes their picks from NOP and CHA.

trade 2:
    -Pelicans send out: Boogie (@$33 mil/2 yr), Ajinca, and Cheick Diallo
    -Pelicans receive: Otto Porter, Markieff Morris, Dewayne Dedmon

-Washington sends out: Otto Porter, Markieff Morris, Ian Mahinmi, Satoransky
    -Washington receives: Boogie, Kent Bazemore, and Cheick Diallo

-Atlanta sends out: Kent Bazemore and Dewayne Dedmon
    -Atlanta receives: Ian Mahinmi, Satoransky, WAS 1st & 2nd rounder, NOP 2nd

Pelicans gets longer, bigger (overall), faster, stronger, add depth, and could maybe stay below the apron by buying out Dedmon (or he opts out? idk how that works). Washington gets an All-Star in Boogie, gets rid of Mahinmi (maybe they'd rather get Gortat out of there), and is able to replace Porter with Bazemore. Atlanta takes on a bad contract but gets picks in return

trade 3:
    -Pelicans send out: Boogie
    -Pelicans receive: Khris Middleton and John Henson

-Milwaukee sends out: Khris Middleton, Tony Snell, John Henson, and Delly
    -Milwaukee receives: Boogie, Kent Bazemore

-Atlanta sends out: Kent Bazemore
    -Atlanta receives: Tony Snell and Delly

Pelicans do it for Middleton. Milwaukee does it for Boogie, getting rid of bad contracts, but can still replace Middleton with Bazemore. Trade is pretty neutral for Atlanta but probably get a pick from MIL

Middleton and Henson would be an ideal get. Not only would we have our SF but also our C

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I like something MM said quoting Bill Simmons. Does your proposed deal scare the Warriors. All these scenarios we keep coming up with don't do anything but make GS laugh. The only thing they don't have an answer for is AD and Boogie in the front court. I think we need to go back and watch the way these guys were playing prior to the injury. It was borderline unstoppable. THAT scares GS. Especially when you add Niko to the mix. Yes we need to add to our bench but I think right now without Boogie we are better than Houston. Bring him back and we may be on the same level as GS. I believe Boogie is the one and only key. Adding marginal mediocre bigs and less than all star wings without Boogie will be a 2nd rd out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I like something MM said quoting Bill Simmons. Does your proposed deal scare the Warriors. All these scenarios we keep coming up with don't do anything but make GS laugh. The only thing they don't have an answer for is AD and Boogie in the front court. I think we need to go back and watch the way these guys were playing prior to the injury. It was borderline unstoppable. THAT scares GS. Especially when you add Niko to the mix. Yes we need to add to our bench but I think right now without Boogie we are better than Houston. Bring him back and we may be on the same level as GS. I believe Boogie is the one and only key. Adding marginal mediocre bigs and less than all star wings without Boogie will be a 2nd rd out every time.
    I mean, I get it, but the idea that ''does your proposed deal scare the Warriors' is the defining question of any move is a very specious one: one that doesn't surprise me coming from Bill Simmons and MM.

The fact is, no deal 'scares' the Warriors. They have such a loaded team that shy of resurrecting Wilt Chamberlain and implanting Rondo's IQ to pair up with Lebron James, nothing can even come close to scaring them. They're currently playing against a team with a historically good offense, run by an all-time top 5 point guard, a coach who is 2x coach of the year, plus a guy who's probably going to finish as a top 5 all time shooting guard in Harden, with an elite bench. And they're steamrolling them.

Instead, I think the focus should be different: less ''does it scare the Warriors'' and instead, ''does it make the Warriors less scary to you?''. It sounds like a minor semantic change, but it means focusing on your team, on being the best possible version of yourself, on assembling the best crew you can assemble, and not spending every minute of every move you make worrying about some idiots in Oakland.

Add Boogie. Trade Dell's soul to RC Buford for Kawhi Leonard.

PG - Rondo/Jackson
    SG - Holiday/Moore
    SF - Leonard/Miller
    PF - AD/Mirotic
    C - Boogie/Diallo/Okafor

That's a team. If only we could find a way to make it happen.

Any deal that moves hill and Ajinca I am for

Boogie, AD, Kawhi, Jrue, and Rondo on a team would make Golden State scared. That would be an all-time great team. I'd be fine if we straight up traded Boogie for Kawhi, assuming Kawhi would commit to stay long-term.
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, I get it, but the idea that ''does your proposed deal scare the Warriors' is the defining question of any move is a very specious one: one that doesn't surprise me coming from Bill Simmons and MM.

The fact is, no deal 'scares' the Warriors. They have such a loaded team that shy of resurrecting Wilt Chamberlain and implanting Rondo's IQ to pair up with Lebron James, nothing can even come close to scaring them. They're currently playing against a team with a historically good offense, run by an all-time top 5 point guard, a coach who is 2x coach of the year, plus a guy who's probably going to finish as a top 5 all time shooting guard in Harden, with an elite bench. And they're steamrolling them.

Instead, I think the focus should be different: less ''does it scare the Warriors'' and instead, ''does it make the Warriors less scary to you?''. It sounds like a minor semantic change, but it means focusing on your team, on being the best possible version of yourself, on assembling the best crew you can assemble, and not spending every minute of every move you make worrying about some idiots in Oakland.

Add Boogie. Trade Dell's soul to RC Buford for Kawhi Leonard.

PG - Rondo/Jackson
    SG - Holiday/Moore
    SF - Leonard/Miller
    PF - AD/Mirotic
    C - Boogie/Diallo/Okafor

That's a team. If only we could find a way to make it happen.
    and why are they getting steamrolled, because you can't beat the Warriors playing their game! You have to make them work on D and take advantage of their lack of size. and slow them down, frustrate them, never ever try to out run and gun them. You might just lose by 40.
    Last edited by redrum; 05-21-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    and why are they getting steamrolled, because you can't beat the Warriors playing their game! You have to make them work on D and take advantage of their lack of size. and slow them down, frustrate them, never ever try to out run and gun them. You might just lose by 40.
    Exactly! People would say we are a far less talented team than Houston and we didn't get beat by 40. That Houston model was doomed from the beginning. As smart as Paul is how could he not see that this was never going to work.

You also might just win by 22. Swings and roundabouts.

Either way, I never said in my post that you need to try and beat the warriors playing their game, so I'm not sure why this response was aimed at me.

I disagree strongly that a team of Jrue/Rondo/Leonard/AD/Cousins would get steamrolled. That front court would destroy Golden States' and Leonard with Jrue defensively would be an absolute nightmare.

The truth is Golden State only has one option of trying to contain Cousins and that's try and get into his head so he gets ejected. I honestly believe if we played Golden State with that team that a fight would break out between Green and Cousins.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post

Today I still believe that OKC had the blueprint to beating the warriors in a series with Adams and kantner scoring inside/outside,,, rebounding and being a matchup that the warriors couldn't match.......plus OKC had Westbrook and kd and a bench but Westbrook ego lost that series and sent kd to the warriors smdh....

Ad and boogie are the 4/5 matchup that we can force the warriors to use a real center because boogie would get green in foul trouble plus get points in the paint making them double boogie and get out of the small ball line up.......if we get a legit SF then the warriors would have to match up with us in a series unless they go crazy and make a wild number of 3s in a game then I can see us trying to match up to them.....a legit SF,,a big guard that can shoot and a decent bench..yes our team would give the warriors a team to fear..

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Today I still believe that OKC had the blueprint to beating the warriors in a series with Adams and kantner scoring inside/outside,,, rebounding and being a matchup that the warriors couldn't match.......plus OKC had Westbrook and kd and a bench but Westbrook ego lost that series and sent kd to the warriors smdh....

Ad and boogie are the 4/5 matchup that we can force the warriors to use a real center because boogie would get green in foul trouble plus get points in the paint making them double boogie and get out of the small ball line up.......if we get a legit SF then the warriors would have to match up with us in a series unless they go crazy and make a wild number of 3s in a game then I can see us trying to match up to them.....a legit SF,,a big guard that can shoot and a decent bench..yes our team would give the warriors a team to fear..
    We can go off from 3 just as much as they can.. Another offseason of AD working on his 3 point shot, Jrue is steady from there as is Boogie, Rondo is ok.. We just need a 3&d (maybe shoot Miller up with some steroids in the offseason), at SF, and we could go shot for shot, as long as we slow the game down.. wont beat them by trying to outrun them

Thread Information